THE BROWNS BOARD

Anderson starting over Leinart

IschY

I am sure Anderson is impressing the coaches with his "rocket" arm. Wait until the regular season when a team game plans to get pressure on him because he has no idea how to check down or read a defense!!

Anderson, not Leinart, to start Cardinals third preseason game

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt says he will start Derek Anderson on Saturday night when the Cardinals visit the Chicago Bears for their third preseason game.

Anderson was told on Thursday morning that he would be working with the first-team offense.

Whisenhunt says Anderson will work in the first quarter and that Matt Leinart will enter the game. The coach says it's a flip of how they played the quarterbacks in Monday night's 24-10 loss at Tennessee.

Asked what he's looking for with the change, Whisenhunt says, "first downs."

Leinart, the 10th overall pick in the 2006 draft, started for Arizona on Monday and went three-and-out in all three of his series.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/foot...p#ixzz0xkCue6Qk

Those poor fools... It'll be exciting to say the least. DA throws a 60 yard bomb to Fitzgerald. Next play, DA throws a pick. I can see that all year long.

All of this is completely normal for the preseason. It doesn't mean Anderson is going to start but just that they want to get a look with him and the first team. Pittsburgh is doing the same thing with Dixon in the 3rd preseason game but Pittsburgh situations is obviously a good bit different. We have a back up QB controversy. Arizona just flat out has a QB problem. Has Leinert been playing poorly thus far? I haven't been following the Cards through preseason.

I am sure Anderson is impressing the coaches with his "rocket" arm. Wait until the regular season when a team game plans to get pressure on him because he has no idea how to check down or read a defense!!

Anderson, not Leinart, to start Cardinals third preseason game

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt says he will start Derek Anderson on Saturday night when the Cardinals visit the Chicago Bears for their third preseason game.

Anderson was told on Thursday morning that he would be working with the first-team offense.

Whisenhunt says Anderson will work in the first quarter and that Matt Leinart will enter the game. The coach says it's a flip of how they played the quarterbacks in Monday night's 24-10 loss at Tennessee.

Asked what he's looking for with the change, Whisenhunt says, "first downs."

Leinart, the 10th overall pick in the 2006 draft, started for Arizona on Monday and went three-and-out in all three of his series.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/foot...p#ixzz0xkCue6Qk

Anderson may not be "impressing" anyone.. but he has looked better than Leinart.. you are supposed to play your best quarterback right? so if Anderson plays over Leinart, it doesn't mean he is good, it just means he is the best they have.. Either QB should be good enough to beat the seahawks/rams anyway...

Shows that Anderson has what it takes to start at two NFL teams. He could have a 2007 season. Wish him the best.

It doesn't show a thing. It's either a typical preseason shake up OR Leinert is putrid.

Poor Shep. If Anderson beats out Leinart I think he has to officially toss my salad.

Zombo

Yep, that made me puke

Leinart is simply horrid; DA is right there with him.....I am glad this is the Cardinals issue this season rather than ours

It doesn't show a thing. It's either a typical preseason shake up OR Leinert is putrid.

Um, they're BOTH putrid. Leinart is 0 tds, 3 picks rate 64, DA is 58% completion % 1 td, 2 picks 58 rate. This against vanilla defenses. DA's gonna get Fitzgerald killed leading him into defenders.

And I agree with Zombo, DA starts over Leinart regular season, we're revoking Shep's QB discussion privileges. :)

Arizona needs to give Warner a controlling interest in the team if that's what it would take to get him to come back. They will be awful this year, no question, with DA or Leinart.

On another board someone posted a statistical breakdown of the worst QBs in the last 60 years and Anderson was #8 overall. He was the only QB to make the list since 1975 and we all know the passing game has gotten much easier since then due to rule changes.

yea, i do think this is a bigger deal than just letting both guys work with the starting offense. The third preseason game is basically the dress rehearsal for the regular season. You play 99% of the time the starters you want for week one, barring those who are injured of course. I suppose this could just be something to light a fire under Leinart, but everyone thought Wisenhunt was blowing smoke a few years ago when there were talks of Warner starting too. I pretty much take this as Anderson right now having the nod, based on how he plays.

From what I gathered from the commentary yesterday Weisenhunt in not impressed with Leinart or DA as a QB. The advantage with DA is that he seems more locker room friendly and does more than Leinart to command the team. Also his easy going nature is good + while his passes are very erratic atleast he has a strong gun. Expect DA to be the backup as they will search for a new franchise QB very soon. I hope Leinart paid good attention to his Mixed Martial Arts classes.

What about these stats?

RK PLAYER TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G

71 Jake Delhomme, QB CAR 321 178 55.5 2015 6.28 52 8 18 23 59.4 183

72 Brian St. Pierre, QB ARI 4 2 50.0 12 3.00 9 1 1 0 56.3 12

73 Josh Johnson, QB TB 125 63 50.4 685 5.48 35 4 8 11 50.9 114

74 JaMarcus Russell, QB OAK 246 120 48.8 1287 5.23 86 3 11 33 50.0 107

75 Keith Null, QB STL 119 73 61.3 566 4.76 25 3 9 13 49.9 142

76 J.T. O'Sullivan, QB CIN 11 4 36.4 40 3.64 16 0 0 3 47.5 13

77 Mark Brunell, QB NO 30 15 50.0 102 3.40 18 0 1 0 44.0 6

78 Brian Brohm, QB BUF 29 17 58.6 146 5.03 15 0 2 2 43.2 73

79 Luke McCown, QB JAC 3 1 33.3 2 .67 2 0 0 2 42.4 1

80 Derek Anderson, QB CLE 182 81 44.5 888 4.88 43 3 10 11 42.1 111

Arizona needs to give Warner a controlling interest in the team if that's what it would take to get him to come back. They will be awful this year, no question, with DA or Leinart.

On another board someone posted a statistical breakdown of the worst QBs in the last 60 years and Anderson was #8 overall. He was the only QB to make the list since 1975 and we all know the passing game has gotten much easier since then due to rule changes.

Here is the chart I mentioned:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=4518

It is from November 2009. Anderson ranked 14th worst QB in the last 50 years. (Mike Phipps is #4 overall for you old timers)

Um, they're BOTH putrid. Leinart is 0 tds, 3 picks rate 64, DA is 58% completion % 1 td, 2 picks 58 rate. This against vanilla defenses. DA's gonna get Fitzgerald killed leading him into defenders.

And I agree with Zombo, DA starts over Leinart regular season, we're revoking Shep's QB discussion privileges. :)

Um that was my point. Anderson sucks so for Leinert to lose the job he must be god awful.

Here is the chart I mentioned:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=4518

It is from November 2009. Anderson ranked 14th worst QB in the last 50 years. (Mike Phipps is #4 overall for you old timers)

Yes, he had a horrid half-season statistically to that point, and his stats were bad overall in both 2008 and 2009. But there is much more to the story as everyone knows ... depleted receiving corps, dropped passes ... last year no one on the Browns caught more than 35 passes ... MoMass was a raw rookie and it was mike furrey or josh cribbs on the otherside neither of whom would be playing wideout at all for most teams. Not until Harrison finally replaced the run-down Lewis at the end of 09 did they have any sustained running game those two years

I can't blame the Cards for wanting to get a look at him with their starters. Even when he was playing terrible, the Browns seemed more confident with him in there than Quinn, and the record shows that. Leinart just is lacking some intangible ... whether it is passion for the game, or preparedness ... there is something missing with that dude, they have tried to hand him the job two or three times and he just won't take it.

The Cards have Larry Fitzgerald, Breaston, Ducet, Beanie Wells, etc... you can't blame them for wondering if they can get a glimpse of the 07 Anderson in this environment, the bottom line is they need someone to take command of the huddle and the offense ... and Leinart is not doing it.

Zombo

Yes, he had a horrid half-season statistically to that point, and his stats were bad overall in both 2008 and 2009. But there is much more to the story as everyone knows ... depleted receiving corps, dropped passes ... last year no one on the Browns caught more than 35 passes ... MoMass was a raw rookie and it was mike furrey or josh cribbs on the otherside neither of whom would be playing wideout at all for most teams. Not until Harrison finally replaced the run-down Lewis at the end of 09 did they have any sustained running game those two years

I can't blame the Cards for wanting to get a look at him with their starters. Even when he was playing terrible, the Browns seemed more confident with him in there than Quinn, and the record shows that. Leinart just is lacking some intangible ... whether it is passion for the game, or preparedness ... there is something missing with that dude, they have tried to hand him the job two or three times and he just won't take it.

The Cards have Larry Fitzgerald, Breaston, Ducet, Beanie Wells, etc... you can't blame them for wondering if they can get a glimpse of the 07 Anderson in this environment, the bottom line is they need someone to take command of the huddle and the offense ... and Leinart is not doing it.

Zombo

Playing on a bad team does make it hard for a QB to succeed, but good QBs make the players around them better.

Playing on a bad team does make it hard for a QB to succeed, but good QBs make the players around them better.

Which is why the Cards fans are clammoring for Warner to come out of retirement...

Zombo

I wish DA all the luck in the world at winning and holding the starting job in arizona...but we know DA all to well, With that intoxicating arm he generally does just good enough in the pre-season where there is often less heat on the qb to cause controversy and convince the coaches into thinking they can tame and mold him, then when the season starts he implodes...

While i wish DA the best if he wins the start, i have to give the cardinal fans have my deepest sympathy but on the other hand if leinart wins the start they still have my deepest sympathy..the cards qb situation resembles ours last year, with the only difference being the cards have some legit WRs..

For some reason i see the cards rotating QBs this year while coach criesandhunts for a legit QB...hehehehehe

That's what I said. The Cardinals should be moving the earth and moon to get Warner out of retirement.

Why? Worst case they have a poor season and a high draft pick. I wouldn't go out of my way to coerce a QB out of retirement unless he retired prematurely or a factor changed after the fact. I'd imagine they would really have to make it worth his while to pull him out of retirement and in the end it's likely not worth it. I don't believe they are favorites out of the NFC especially with Boldin in Baltimore. Although Breaston should step in nicely. They'll take their blows and move on just like every other team in the NFL forced to contend with the departure of a premier player.

I agree Steeler.

You can never go home. Once something is done, it is done and you move on.

If you keep reaching back for the past, you lose sight of the future and end up with a bleak future and history you can never regain..

Archived