THE BROWNS BOARD

Who would you Guys take in round 1.

Roy.E.Munson

Who would YOU pick in round 1?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming that your man is still on he table... Who do you pick in round one?

• Brian Orapko, DE, Texas
    • Chris Wells, RB, Ohio St.
    • Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
    • Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    • James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio St.
    • Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
    • Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio St.
    • Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

I went with Curry as well...from what I've been reading his versatility absolutley blows my mind and seems like a guy who can be a game changer.

I like Beanie (my homerism) but I think RB can be something adressed later in this draft or next year even. We could squeeze another year out of JL if the new staff see's what everyone else see's and uses Harrison more.

Knowing that we very likely may not resign Sean Jones, I might have to look very hard at Taylor Mays. He is a pure animal in the mold of a Ed Reed or Sean Taylor. He could be a real game changer.

Knowing to be able to do that we would have to go LB in FA.

If we are changing to a 4-3, I would think Orapko would be a great fit.

I think we gotta go defense without a doubt. We need a game changer like Curry.

This team does not need to rebuild just retune I think we can be the team next year that goes from 5-11 to 11-5 with a few defensive adjustments.

As far as Wells go I think we gotta take a gamble on JL and Harrison. If it goes right with them we are a team to beat.

neck in neck with Wells and Curry, If they were the only 2 to choose from I would take Wells, he has played tougher competition than Curry who plays in the ACC (academic challenged conference) we dont need anymore Belles who need a picture contract to sign after they are drafted.

Some say he is Injury Prone (Wells) they also said that about Adrian Peterson, well I would like to think that the coaches at Ohio State are protecting this young mans career by keeping him out of some of the games, you can see the pain in his eyes. He wants to play!

I think that covers all the choices that I have been hereing about!

Latley, I am not to sure who i would pick...

So I am offering it up to you fine Gentlemen (and mz the pussy).

GREAT thread Munson! Beanie Wells gets alot of love. When healthy - it's tough to find better. That said, if he's having trouble enduring the Big 10 workload with nagging injuries - is he a risk at the next level? OR, is he the next Thurman Thomas "shame on you for not drafting me" type? I'd love to see him do well. I always root for Ohio State kids that don't end up in Pittsburgh.

- Tom F. (I think Lauranitis is good but not good enough to make sense where we will be picking in round 1)

Curry is going to a 4-3 team without a doubt its been talked about by Mel Kiper and others. I really don't understand the fascination with him unless we switch to 4-3 and I don't see that happening. I think we're fairly solid at OLB with Wimbley Hall & Peek. Now If we can acquire Suggs in free agency thats a different story.

What this team desperately needs is an ILB to replace Davis. A hard hitting mean son of a gun to fire up this team, ala Ray Lewis. Rey Maualuga is my first choice and a guy I feel we should move up for to get, If we cant get him at our spot. The Ravens & Steelers have their Bad Asses we need ours. Rey's the guy!

Another intriguing pick would be Michael Johnson whom you don't have listed, he'd be a perfect pass rushing OLB. But like I said there's no one I want to see more than Rey wearing brown and orange next season..

neck in neck with Wells and Curry, If they were the only 2 to choose from I would take Wells, he has played tougher competition than Curry who plays in the ACC (academic challenged conference) we dont need anymore Belles who need a picture contract to sign after they are drafted.

Hmm, interesting coming from a person who supports a school, Ohio State, who graduates 52 percent of their football players, compared to Wake Forest, who graduate 83 percent of theirs.

Do some homework.

I went with Curry. He's the highest rated defender on almost everybody's board and Alo sold me. It's really tight for me between him, Rey, and Beanie.

I don't think there's a bad choice in that bunch Shep. Beanie kind of worries me just because the biggest source of disability today in the NFL for RBs seems to be foot problems either via ankle or toes. Back in the 80s and 90s - I don't remember seeing so many promising RBs with foot problems. Just off the top of my head, Felix Jones, LT, Darren McFadden and even Marion Barber have been confronted with foot problems this year. There's also some big name TEs that had to battle ankle or foot problems like Gates and Winslow. SD hasn't been the same team with LT and Gates not being the same guys this year.

If some of our favorites are gone before we can always draft Strong Safety Taylor Mays at 6'3" and 233 pounds. Sometimes it's just fun to put a Steve Atwater presence in the middle of your defense. It creates ALOT more Dennis Northcutts going over the middle wishing they wore their ear plugs and kept their eyes open.

- Tom F.

Ok, my thoughts on this are that we have to look at what is the best formula to win a championship...defense baby, defense! That being said, I think you look at snatching up Jenkins right here(unless of course Crabtree is available to us, this kid is a game changer right now!). Not only do ex-Buckeyes CBs fair well in the NFL, but basically you have the opportunity to draft Winfield Jr. here....he is a tremendous run stopping CB, w/better than average coverage skills, and is a FOOTBALL PLAYER-he is always in the right spot at the right time. I do think we need to address LB and DE early in this draft as well, but we can still find good-to-great players at those positions in rounds 2 and 3(assuming a 3rd is what we can pick up for DA). How great would it be to add Jenkins in round 1 and the DE outta South Fla. in round 2? I think you're talking about instant upgrade right there. McDonald would still be a great compliment at Nickel(let's face it, Cousin isn't getting any younger and who knows how well guys can come back from injury)...and I think ultimately, McD is more of a coverage guy/3rd DB anyways. Adding a guy like Jenkins will only make the rest of the D better...ever here of a thing called a coverage sack???(it's that thing that you see in other teams highlights). Ulitmately, I feel as though this is a very excellent draft this year and we will get a potentially great player in the 1st no matter where we land b/c of the great players in this draft, but when you look at our team needs, I have to say that drafting Jenkins would address the biggest hole.

Ok, my thoughts on this are that we have to look at what is the best formula to win a championship...defense baby, defense! That being said, I think you look at snatching up Jenkins right here(unless of course Crabtree is available to us, this kid is a game changer right now!). Not only do ex-Buckeyes CBs fair well in the NFL, but basically you have the opportunity to draft Winfield Jr. here....he is a tremendous run stopping CB, w/better than average coverage skills, and is a FOOTBALL PLAYER-he is always in the right spot at the right time. I do think we need to address LB and DE early in this draft as well, but we can still find good-to-great players at those positions in rounds 2 and 3(assuming a 3rd is what we can pick up for DA). How great would it be to add Jenkins in round 1 and the DE outta South Fla. in round 2? I think you're talking about instant upgrade right there. McDonald would still be a great compliment at Nickel(let's face it, Cousin isn't getting any younger and who knows how well guys can come back from injury)...and I think ultimately, McD is more of a coverage guy/3rd DB anyways. Adding a guy like Jenkins will only make the rest of the D better...ever here of a thing called a coverage sack???(it's that thing that you see in other teams highlights). Ulitmately, I feel as though this is a very excellent draft this year and we will get a potentially great player in the 1st no matter where we land b/c of the great players in this draft, but when you look at our team needs, I have to say that drafting Jenkins would address the biggest hole.

If Holly heals up nice - we don't have to worry about Cousin. Any updates on Holly's post injury rehab? If all went well there, it'll either be McDonald or Holly on 3rd downs with the better guy getting starter's reps. Holly really impressed me in 2007. He's masterful at using using the sidelines and just as impressive staying right on the hip. When he does get beat, I've seen him recover extremely well to bat passes away at the last second.

I've never been a huge fan of going CB in round 1. Remember when everyone was in love with DeAngelo Hall? He's on his 3rd team in the last 12 months already. Winfield and Nate Clementes haven't played in very many playoff games throughout their careers. Nor has Pac Man Jones or DeAngelo Hall. I agree good corners are necessary but guys like Assante Sameul don't need to be found in round 1.

If all our favorite LBers are gone when we're up - I wouldn't mind seeing us add a Strong Safety like Taylor Mays to our middle of of the secondary. Eric Turner turned out to be invaluable to us the day he could singlehandedly erase Ben Coates from our playoff matchup with NE.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius
Curry is going to a 4-3 team without a doubt its been talked about by Mel Kiper and others. I really don't understand the fascination with him unless we switch to 4-3 and I don't see that happening.

I doubt that Kiper actually said that. If you can dredge up a clip or quote, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's a clip of Mike Mayock talking about Curry's versatility. He says that Curry could even play 3-4 OLB.

If you watch both LB's play & think Rey Rey's the better player, fine. But I don't think saying Maualuga's the guy because Curry can't play in a 3-4 is a valid argument.

I doubt that Kiper actually said that. If you can dredge up a clip or quote, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's a clip of Mike Mayock talking about Curry's versatility. He says that Curry could even play 3-4 OLB.

If you watch both LB's play & think Rey Rey's the better player, fine. But I don't think saying Maualuga's the guy because Curry can't play in a 3-4 is a valid argument.

You have to look at need, Maualuga has played in a 3-4 his whole college career. Curry fits the mold of a 4-3 LB and has played the 4-3, Rey fits perfect for a run stopping ILB in the 3-4 which is what he's been with USC. Curry could play OLB in the 3-4 but he is better suited for the 4-3 and we've got three pretty good OLB's in Wimbley, Hall, and Peek. Who knows maybe we'll go after Suggs in the offseason.

What this team desperately needs is an ILB that's tough and physical to compliment Jackson. I like Curry and If we happen to switch to a 4-3 I say yes draft him over anyone else. I just dont see us switching and dont want us to. Therefor Rey is the answer this team needs..

I took Davis....he is young and a better prospect than Jenkins IMO....just lacks the experience.

He is also a kid who might grow in to a safety.

That said...there are 3-4 guys on that list that would work, so it is hard to be disappointed no matter who we select.

All should be good, and all fill holes...except possibly Crabtree....but no way anybody could be disappointed in him.

You have to look at need, Maualuga has played in a 3-4 his whole college career. Curry fits the mold of a 4-3 LB and has played the 4-3, Rey fits perfect for a run stopping ILB in the 3-4 which is what he's been with USC. Curry could play OLB in the 3-4 but he is better suited for the 4-3 and we've got three pretty good OLB's in Wimbley, Hall, and Peek. Who knows maybe we'll go after Suggs in the offseason.

What this team desperately needs is an ILB that's tough and physical to compliment Jackson. I like Curry and If we happen to switch to a 4-3 I say yes draft him over anyone else. I just dont see us switching and dont want us to. Therefor Rey is the answer this team needs..

If a coach like Spagnola comes in and puts in a 4-3, then what are you going to do with Jackson and Rey. I say Curry and go with a 4-3. Then go after Suggs with everything you got.

If we stay in the 3-4 then Rey is a good pick, but we still don't have a pass rush.

Guest Aloysius

ITHIKA, my point wasn't that Curry's a 3-4 OLB; it was that he's so versatile (according to Mayock) that he could play either ILB or OLB.

If you watch the clip, Mayock says that he's a faster, more athletic version of Jerod Mayo.

That sounds pretty good to me.

he's so versatile (according to Mayock) that he could play either ILB or OLB.

Alo, I've been "crunching the numbers" as it were, and you have convinced me Curry is the right selection, if available. His versatility, for a team in upheaval like ours, is what sold me.

Archived