THE BROWNS BOARD

Peyton Hillis is DA MAN !

Armchair Bronco

I just joined the forum so I could sing the praises of Peyton Hillis. The dude is flat out MONEY, and I predict that he'll be your starting RB by week 3.

I'm a Broncos fan from "way back when". I still remember in vivid detail Elway's immortal "The Drive" back in 1987 and I was at Mile High Stadium to witness 1st hand "The Fumble". I'm old enough to remember Bernie Kosar's wierd sideways stance under the center. And I seem to recall Marty Schottenheimer saying something about "Go get the gleam, men!" or some crap like that.

I can't tell you how pissed I was when I learned that Hillis has been traded away. But I wasn't surprised. I understand that Josh "Stalin" McStalin has an even bigger ego than Mike "The Genius" Shannyham. Hillis must have pissed him off last year which explain his ridiculous benching in 2009 following his brilliant 5-game performance at the end of the 2008 season.

Look, Hillis is a rare back. The more he's hit, the better he runs. He's like a mini bulldozer. He doesn't have blazing speed, but he's still damn fast, and explosive through the hole. He catches well in the flat. If he has some momentum, he can carry a couple of guys with him for 5 or more yard. And on the goal line and in short yardage situations, he's very reliable.

I have him starting in my fantasy league. He's currently ranked 2,300+ on the Yahoo site. But I predict that within a few weeks people will be scrambling to add this diamond in the rough to their fantasy teams. The guy is a quality back playing on a team that is (yet again) in rebuilding mode with a QB that is trying to rebuild his own career. In terms of fantasy value, what more could you ask for? Even the injury bugs have worked in his favor.

No question: you guys got the better end of Hillis for Brady Quinn trade. I sure wish Hillis played for the Broncos, but Denver's new "Little Dictator" wasn't going to let that happen (otherwise, people would be wondering why he wasted a 1st round pick on No-Show Moreno).

I agree. From what I've seen so far, he is the real deal. Tough, doesn't go down easily.

If Harrison doesn't stop with the fumbles then I can see Hillis getting an awful lot of carries this year. Behind a good O-Line and alongside Vickers, he could put up some very nice numbers.

IMHO he should be our featured back. He makes circus catches look easy, bats off tacklers like they're flies (or DRAGS "em if they're persistent), & seems to have a great sense of where that 1st down marker, goal line, & sidelines are. While not blazing fast, he's plenty fast enough, given all his other attributes.

He gets my vote as the Brown's next GREAT back. I seldom get as hyped up over a player as I am over this kid.

Mike

For me it went from "we got screwed by denver" to "we screwed denver" real fast...he has become one of my favorites, i love big backs that can move the pile and if he can stay healthy we have endless combination's of lethal ground attacks with our lineup...

For me it went from "we got screwed by denver" to "we screwed denver" real fast...he has become one of my favorites, i love big backs that can move the pile and if he can stay healthy we have endless combination's of lethal ground attacks with our lineup...

You're right. We can throw a lot of different looks out there & we should be DEADLY in the red zone.

Mike

IMHO he should be our featured back. He makes circus catches look easy, bats off tacklers like they're flies (or DRAGS "em if they're persistent), & seems to have a great sense of where that 1st down marker, goal line, & sidelines are. While not blazing fast, he's plenty fast enough, given all his other attributes.

I agree 100%. I think Hillis should be our main RB with Harrison being the change of pace guy. I like what Harrison did last season but I love powerful running backs that will wear out a defense.

Great timing to read this since we just lost our 2nd round drafted running back. Hillis has looked very good this year and seems capable of doing anything asked of him. We have had discussion on how many carries he can handle with that running style but that seems to have been a great trade by the browns when we origninally said "Peyton who?"

Great timing to read this since we just lost our 2nd round drafted running back. Hillis has looked very good this year and seems capable of doing anything asked of him. We have had discussion on how many carries he can handle with that running style but that seems to have been a great trade by the browns when we origninally said "Peyton who?"

You bring up a good point, how many carries can he handle with that running style? Could he be a throwback of yesteryear? or will he be destined to miss action due to his style. This much I know, I'm glad that is our problem to have to deal with.

The dude needs a middle-name moniker of his own. I've been calling him Peyton "Dozer" Hillis on the Broncos forums where I hang out. He's actually more like one of those "Bobcat" utility vehicles fitted with a rusty bulldozer shovel in the front end, but "Bobcat" doesn't sound as imposing as "Dozer".

2004_Bobcat_T_300_Air_Conditioning.jpg

Plus, there was also that character from "The Matrix" called "Dozer". It took 12 million volts of electricity to bring the dude down!

dozer.jpg

By the way, I'm a Broncos fan, but I've lived in the Seattle area since 1987 so I know a little something about your new Big Gun, Mike "The Walrus" Holmgren. He'll be a great addition to your front office and is the first piece you need to turn your team around. I'm not surprised he didn't fire Mangini right away, but I don't think Mangini is your long-term solution at HC.

One of the most popular names on the Denver boards is "Rhino."

Really? I dunno. Maybe "White Rhino"...but rhinos in general aren't very imposing. They're all about posturing, but at the end of the day they'd rather avoid a confrontation and just go eat their grass (or smoke it -- "Rhino" also means spleef) in privacy.

I see where they're going with this with the strength and the horn and all that, but good luck trying to find a decent picture of a charging rhino about to eviscerate some hapless victim.

Now, a "Dozer on the Loose" I can totally see. Just imagine a bulldozer gone wild at some kind of public gathering, with bodies strewn left and right, some of them caught up in the treads, some of them crushed under the rusty scoop.

Peyton "Place" Hillis

Peyton "Dragster" Hillis

Peyton "Sasquatch" Hillis (then he could have a tag line like "Don't mess with the Sasquatch!")

Peyton "Bruiser" Hillis

Peyton "I'm Fast Enough and Mean Enough, and Dawg' Gonnit: People Like Me!" Hillis

Peyton "Eat This!" Hillis

Peyton "North/South" Hillis

Peyton "Hillbilly" Hillis

Peyton "No Nonsense" Hillis

Peyton "Da Rock" Hillis

Peyton "Place" Hillis

Peyton "Dragster" Hillis

Peyton "Sasquatch" Hillis (then he could have a tag line like "Don't mess with the Sasquatch!")

Peyton "Bruiser" Hillis

Peyton "I'm Fast Enough and Mean Enough, and Dawg' Gonnit: People Like Me!" Hillis

Peyton "Eat This!" Hillis

Peyton "North/South" Hillis

Peyton "Hillbilly" Hillis

Peyton "No Nonsense" Hillis

Peyton "Da Rock" Hillis

Peyton "I Better Look Into A Restraining Order From This Armchair Guy" Hillis

Archived