THE BROWNS BOARD

Positives from Eagles game

Kosarfan

There ARE a few positives ... you just have to dig deep ... REAL DEEP.

1 - Braylon had a great game, made more than just a few real good catches. Just in time to buy another season, but perhaps with strong leadership in '09 we'll see the Braylon of '07 ?

2 - Jamal is looking old and I believe proving this team will need a strong running back for the future. Good news, since this may be in time to be identified for next season rather than just assuming he'll give us another good year in '09.

3 - Dorsey will have to go. He made even the shortest passes look difficult. He tried at least 3 screens that never made it to the receiver and just looked terrible. He did hang in the pocket more than expected and showed some grit, but that also proved that even at one of his strongest showings, he's really not a guy to rely on even at the #3 slot.

4 - Brandon MacDonald - great game. Made the rest of the defense (except for big Shaun Rogers) look completely out of it. His strong play ALONE showed how much the rest of the defense needs revamping.

5 - No other running backs looked up to the task. They DID in fact move the ball around and tried several different backs, but proved we have no running game to speak of, so backs will definitely be a target for development.

6 - Offensive line looked like they were in a coma, so that raised flags on what they're not doing and work they'll need - again UNDER A NEW STRONGER COACH.

7 - As much as I am a complete Cribbs fan - like so many others - use of him in the backfield and the trick plays proved that is not particularly useful. Cribbs has all the tools, but just like they did years ago with a tiny Eric Metcalf, we cannot rely on the talents of one guy to get this team off the ground in scoring. My main concern is he doesn't get used up. He is beyond a doubt the most talented guy on this team. His work ethic should be an example to the rest of the roster. Anyone who doesn't get it, dump 'em.

8 - It was difficult watching a Monday night game with such a lost team, but it really had to put the management in as big a nationally embarassed position, that they HAVE to get strong help and leadership or just find a new sport to screw up. The announcers went over and over how weak so many aspects of this team are, that RAC and his crew were nationally crucified. Deservably so, although I think Jaws and that Monday crew suck.

Negatives:

1 - Winslow looks like a savior now, not being there and the only target was Braylon.

2 - Heiden hurt. Hope that's not bad, but they trailored him off the field.

Hate seeing my team get so humiliated in such a spotlight, but I really did'nt expect anything else. I believe we will lose to Cincinnati and obviously to Shittsburg, but so be it. They made their bed, now they finish our hopeful season in it.

2009 will be better. It HAS to be, I suppose an 0-18 season is a possibility, but if that happened, Cleveland would surely lose this team.

I agree there are positives.

On D, we're an LB and a pass rusher away from being fine.

On O, if recent Winslow sentiment about staying is correct, we'll be OK at TE. JT in a sophomore slump and I bet he'll work hard to improve for next year. We'll have Quinn back healthy and maybe even JJ. Get an RB in the draft and let he and Harrison battle it out.

Overlay a strong head coach to who will lead, instead of standing there emotionless, and we'll be back to competitive.

Next year's schedule will help too. This year's was a freakin' gauntlet. A slew of prime time games against playoff teams. Just nuts.

Brandon McDonald did not have a great game. He made a few great plays, but he also gave up a ton of completions with his temperpedic cushion. Same with Eric Wright. I don't know if that's on them or the coaching make them do it with their scheming, though.

I don't take much out of that game. I'm sure they had a bad week of practice, I'm sure they weren't motivated, and I'm pretty sure not many people on the team cared about that game last night.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We won't know the true potential of this personnel group until we get a coach to motivate and maximize them.

Kosarfan,

Just some comments on your positives. #1 - Edwards caught some balls but has know said he wants out of Cleveland, so much for him as a leader in 2009. Also, Winslow is a player, but self centered isn't a good leadership quality.

I don't know if you can say it is a positive that we know know some guys really suck so we can replace them.

Dorsey was here for one reason, that was to mentor Quinn. Job is done and Dorsey will make a very nice QB coach for someone. He isn't a NFL player. Could be why they signed Gradkowski to a two year contract. He could be a very solid #3 QB.

We all know that Dorsey, McGinest and Davis need to go. But I say S. Smith, Shaffer, Lewis and Stallworth should be right behind them.

But, the biggest problem is the coaching staff. Some of these guys haven't just forgot how to play football. They are not being coached properly and the schemes their being asked to run suck and I believe it shows by their performance. How enthusiastic do you think they are when the coaches have a scheme to play a bend but don't break defense, with a 3 man rush and keep everything in front of you. Tucker really sucks and I'm sure he is following RAC's orders, but I watched Wimbley drop into coverage more then he rushed the QB last night. He is not a LB. On offense, they zone blocked all night, there was very little pulling or trapping and no crack back blocks. Why bring a TE into motion and set him right in front of the hole. I know where Lewis was running last night. When they line 7 guys up at the line and you have 5 blockers and the QB takes a 7 step drop, I don't think I can put that on the Offensive line.

If the Browns watched any film, they knew Philly was going to blitz them but they did nothing to counter it. I saw one play where Joe Thimas was lined up with a DE over him, a LB outside him and a safety outside him all coming. KNow has he forgot how to block or is the blocking schems part the problem.

Personally, I don't think this team needs blown up. The coaching staff needs completely blown up. You watch a game and is is like they never watched a lick of film on the team they are playing. I haven't seen a good game plan since the Giants game.

To me, it looks like the coaches have given up not the players.

Lerner needs to blow the front office completely up or nothing else is going to matter there is to many of al lerners leftoers that are responsible for the mess we are and have been in...

Edwards (mr.inconsistancy) is finished a new coach wont keep him..

edwards said he wants to be in cleveland, which i don't personally believe, but that he doesn't feel appreciated by the fans and media and that it's somewhat out of his control where he plays next year. he's just feeling the effects of his shitty season and is somewhat depressed about it, as he should we.

he needs to spend the offseason training and getting his mind right instead of dwelling on his shortcomings.

and, yes, the coaching has been the problem all season. it's getting tiring to have to keep bringing the same shit up game after game. how stupid does a coach have to be to realize what he's doing isn't working at all? and how stubborn to not make any changes? rac's either incredibly spiteful or massively stubborn and brain-dead, and neither of those is a good quality for a chaoch to have.

YTownBB - great take, you make some good points, but I still believe arguments can be made to keep guys until they actually prove their bust; ie.: items 2, 3, 5 and 6. I have to think it has to painted on the wall, given how long RAC was provided latitude to keep DA in. Can't help wondering how much different this seaon MAY have turned out - even with weak coaching staff, NO ARGUMENT THERE - if DA had been benched weeks prior (like week 6 - WEAK loss to Washington) as other teams were doing at the time and BQ comes in. If BQ were given a good portion more of the season to prove and do something with and healthy, would Braylon have picked up the pace ? Would Winslow have done better - barring his time out - he and BQ seemed to be a good combo. Would the offense have provided enough for the defense to get their stuff together earlier on ? What if, what if, what if ... becoming the Browns theme song.

Guest Masters
Brandon McDonald did not have a great game. He made a few great plays, but he also gave up a ton of completions with his temperpedic cushion. Same with Eric Wright. I don't know if that's on them or the coaching make them do it with their scheming, though.

I don't take much out of that game. I'm sure they had a bad week of practice, I'm sure they weren't motivated, and I'm pretty sure not many people on the team cared about that game last night.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We won't know the true potential of this personnel group until we get a coach to motivate and maximize them.

It's the scheme. Once again the opposing QB came out after the game (just like Cutler after the DEN game) and said CLE played pretty much cover 2 and cover 3, which leaves the flats open.

This is why RAC needs to go.

YTownBB - great take, you make some good points, but I still believe arguments can be made to keep guys until they actually prove their bust; ie.: items 2, 3, 5 and 6. I have to think it has to painted on the wall, given how long RAC was provided latitude to keep DA in. Can't help wondering how much different this seaon MAY have turned out - even with weak coaching staff, NO ARGUMENT THERE - if DA had been benched weeks prior (like week 6 - WEAK loss to Washington) as other teams were doing at the time and BQ comes in. If BQ were given a good portion more of the season to prove and do something with and healthy, would Braylon have picked up the pace ? Would Winslow have done better - barring his time out - he and BQ seemed to be a good combo. Would the offense have provided enough for the defense to get their stuff together earlier on ? What if, what if, what if ... becoming the Browns theme song.

I agree that some of the players need to be given a chance to show what they have in a better system, with better coaching. I have said before, I don't think some of these guys just forgot how to play football. I think they were put in no win situations. Nobody could look good (except Rogers) in Tucker and RACs prevent defense.

There ARE a few positives ... you just have to dig deep ... REAL DEEP.

My favorite positive about the game was they had me sound asleep before the 2nd quarter, which is the first time that's ever happened. More specifically, it became the first nightmare that ended when sleep started. I guess I can thank the entire organization for such an accomplishment 4 years into their new plan.

I'm not as touchy-feely-lovey-dovey with this team right now. They've quit when you see the difference between beating the Giants and this. The more we confirm that's okay to quit and collect paychecks the more they'll accept it all being just RAC's and Braylon's fault by us. We deserve better IMO.

As a fan, I feel your pain and wanting it to be just 1 LBer and 1 pass rusher for the wide world of wonderful BUT:

1) Who's playing WR opposite Edwards?

2) Who's our home run hitter in the backfield?

3) Who's our YOUNG workhorse in the backfield?

4) Who's our QB?

5) Who's manning down the right side of our oline? There's 2 more starting spots I see as insufficient and depth.

6) Who's filling in for NEXT YEAR'S injuries?

7) Who's our defensive playmakers that score TDs on gameday like so many opponents have shown us they have?

8) Who's our Coach?

9) Who's our solution to LBer?

10) Who's our TE that can peform ALL TE responsibilities, which includes help sealing the edge if need be?

11) Willie and Robaire have alot of wear and tear on them - who replaces them in our plans?

12) Depth at corner if Holly isn't on track to return - who's that?

13) I'd love an Ed Reed, Bob Sanders or Pollywhatever that opposing offenses need to plan around - who's that?

Obviously, I'd love to be wrong about my concerns but they're really very similar to the ones I had in 1999 and 2000. Is the problem REALLY just the right Head Coach away if we should receive brutal news that Cowher or Marty won't come here? Those 2 were here when Marty reversed bad fortunes so I think they'd bring the RIGHT mindset or understanding while guys like Spagnola would get the same culture hock that other inexperienced Head Coaches would get coming from Utopian environments to front office chaos as Dilfer has recently put it for America to hear on the show he's paid to provide his opinions for. The fact that he was EVER considered a solution for this franchise should have been a red flag about that chaos he now speaks of. Never stopped Trent from cashing his game checks in the same way it's not stopping the guys currently going through the motions as Lerner tells people it's not the RIGHT time to make a determination on RAC. Okay Randy, wait until AFTER Snyder hires Cowher to remind we're getting another Chris Palmer which means 2nd or 3rd choice. Yay!

- Tom F. (There wasn't 1 player even coming close to exciting me on Monday Night EVEN Braylon bobbling every reception he hauled in. It starts at the top. If we get Cowher or Marty - my excitement returns. Otherwise, we got the Peter Angelos of pro Football whoring off old traditions. Either guy has a YES price tag. Trust me!)

all right, fluges. here are some responses to your list.

1) anquan boldin (if he's actually a FA: rotoworld says he's signed through 2010), housh, antonio bryant or jabar gaffney

2) harrison

3) shonn green, marlon lucky or rashad jennings

4) quinn

5) free agents: khalif barnes, jordan gross, vernon carey, stacy andrews, elton brown or some kids we draft

6) uh, street FAs?

7) b-mac and wright, possibly jones and d'qwell, curry if we get him

8) rex ryan (i hope)

9) curry and crowder (for sure), possibly angelo crowell, and wishing for suggs or peppers

10) jim kleinsasser, maybe bo scaife, but kleinsasser is an awesome blocker. we should also investigate using vickers as a TE in two-TE sets. he needs to see more of the field.

11) if we can, chris canty to replace robaire and alex hall or a FA for willie

12) jabari greer, eric green, philip buchannon are all FAs, or we could make a run at scrabble

13) a healthy jones, maybe. or taylor mays if we don't get curry

lots of free agents in there, but you can only do so much in a single draft, especially when you're missing picks. i think we actually can do most of it, though. pretty much the only things that aren't feasible are getting jordan gross, suggs, peppers and scrabble.

and i think ryan not only will be a great head coach, but he'll create a defensive strategy that uses our people will and plays to their strengths instead of slavishly adhering to a system because it's all he knows. dude's a mad scientist.

and i think he can deal with the culture shock. he's got people he can lean on like his brother and his dad. they can help him through it. also, he might be able to bring in wade phillips as DC, which would also help.

all right, fluges. here are some responses to your list.

1) anquan boldin (if he's actually a FA: rotoworld says he's signed through 2010), housh, antonio bryant or jabar gaffney

2) harrison

3) shonn green, marlon lucky or rashad jennings

4) quinn

5) free agents: khalif barnes, jordan gross, vernon carey, stacy andrews, elton brown or some kids we draft

6) uh, street FAs?

7) b-mac and wright, possibly jones and d'qwell, curry if we get him

8) rex ryan (i hope)

9) curry and crowder (for sure), possibly angelo crowell, and wishing for suggs or peppers

10) jim kleinsasser, maybe bo scaife, but kleinsasser is an awesome blocker. we should also investigate using vickers as a TE in two-TE sets. he needs to see more of the field.

11) if we can, chris canty to replace robaire and alex hall or a FA for willie

12) jabari greer, eric green, philip buchannon are all FAs, or we could make a run at scrabble

13) a healthy jones, maybe. or taylor mays if we don't get curry

lots of free agents in there, but you can only do so much in a single draft, especially when you're missing picks. i think we actually can do most of it, though. pretty much the only things that aren't feasible are getting jordan gross, suggs, peppers and scrabble.

and i think ryan not only will be a great head coach, but he'll create a defensive strategy that uses our people will and plays to their strengths instead of slavishly adhering to a system because it's all he knows. dude's a mad scientist.

and i think he can deal with the culture shock. he's got people he can lean on like his brother and his dad. they can help him through it. also, he might be able to bring in wade phillips as DC, which would also help.

Nice job JD! Some very good ideas to diffuse my venting.

- Tom F.

Archived