THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey: Americans don't know much about religion

Kosar_For_President

To ascribe to it... a tag of "coincidence" is so far fetched, I have to laugh if I try it.

But that's what makes it amazing, in my opinion. The chances of all of that happening as it did, literally make it a stochastic miracle. Kinda like rolling snake eyes, but a thousand times less likely.

But the miracle of the human body to survive? Well, man never created that miracle, and disregarding chance, what else is there, but to look to the existence of God as the explanation?

Nature. Natural selection. We aren't here because of what our ancestors were given, we're here because of how they fought to survive. One of my favorite quotes is

Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.

We can trace the existence of everything to the Hydrogen that was produced when the big bang happened. This is the theory with the most evidence, so this is why I support it.

To your point about putting God into law.... well, that is to you, as bad as keeping God completely out of it to me.

More precisely, the values we attribute to God, are good, solid, just values to live by. To the extent that we take a few

of those principles, and apply them to the fundamental guidelines in our society, like the right to life of the unborn and just born,

and the definaition of marriage, etc... I don't see that as wrong. I believe it's wrong to throw out all principles and values,

to the benefit of anti-social, anti-status quo special interests. I don't believe our free society can survive that way.

Well, then who is to decide which god's values are the ones we should base our society off of? If I pick Hinduism, there's a religious text called the Kama Sutra, it includes sex acts between people of the same sex, and so, I could argue that it advocates homosexuality. What if I pick the Book of Mormon? So homosexuality is bad, but having 40 wives is okay? If I pick the New Testament, Jesus claims nothing about homosexuality, only Paul does. But Paul isn't God.

That's the problem with putting God into law. It relies completely on anecdotal evidence, and there is no way to classify which god's values are superior to the other. The law needs to be based only on reality.

Also. Check this out

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/10/titan-haze-life/

titan_haze2.jpg

Turns out that life might not have originated in a primordial ocean, but instead the primordial atmosphere. This was presented 3 days ago. To say that no one is trying to figure out these 'real' mysteries means that you aren't even listening to the people that are out there busting their asses to figure this stuff out.

But that would make us a theocracy, would it not? And it would result in someone's religion being declared morally superior to another. Which is why I think that the safest thing to do is omit as many irrational (read: religious) beliefs as possible from the law.

We are a theocracy in that sense VT, whether the title pleases us or not.

The president has said outright he governs based (at least in part) on the basis of his faith.

Be it God or anybody else that gets credit for the morality we base our laws on.

WSS

• 1 year later...

I like threads like this better.

No Bunker

Cal isn't an asshole

For some reason though it seems Steve doesn't know anything about science, lol

Heck is just playing it smart and laughing at dumb comments instead of wasting his energy on Cal, T or Bunker

It seems like Cal had something happen to him he couldn't explain, so instead of trying to find that explanation he chalked it up to god. You don't want to count it as a coincidence because it feels better to think some all powerful being chose to intervene and save your life. It is a crazy story though and I didn't know about the donkey part, which makes it even more interesting.

Archived