THE BROWNS BOARD

Can the Browns Run Game Beat the Falcons?

Oldfan

It seems to me that the Browns will have to depend on the run game to generate points against the Falcons. The passing game is a matchup between an average Browns WR corps and a Falcons defensive backfield that is improving every week. The corner tandem of Robinson and Grimes, combined with a strong pass rush from Abraham, Biermann and Babineaux could make for a long day for Delhomme (If he plays.) Oh, and don't forget, Atlanta can read Jake like a book, having played him twice a year when he was with the Panthers.

Hillis is a beast and, along with the other Browns RBs, present a formidable running attack. The Falcons rank eleventh in the league defending the run and would rank much higher if it were not for two 40+ runs that got away from them this season. If the Browns are forced to become one dimensional, Hillis/Harrison/Davis could have a long day.

The Browns should worry about rookie LB Weatherspoon. If his ankle has healed, he will be chomping at the bit to go after the Browns running backs.

It seems to me that the Browns will have to depend on the run game to generate points against the Falcons. The passing game is a matchup between an average Browns WR corps and a Falcons defensive backfield that is improving every week. The corner tandem of Robinson and Grimes, combined with a strong pass rush from Abraham, Biermann and Babineaux could make for a long day for Delhomme (If he plays.) Oh, and don't forget, Atlanta can read Jake like a book, having played him twice a year when he was with the Panthers.

Hillis is a beast and, along with the other Browns RBs, present a formidable running attack. The Falcons rank eleventh in the league defending the run and would rank much higher if it were not for two 40+ runs that got away from them this season. If the Browns are forced to become one dimensional, Hillis/Harrison/Davis could have a long day.

The Browns should worry about rookie LB Weatherspoon. If his ankle has healed, he will be chomping at the bit to go after the Browns running backs.

Why don't you just list the entire Falcons 53 man roster and tell us that we better worry about all of them. That is essentially what you have been doing.

So take note: I am sure that the Browns coaching staff is indeed "worrying" about the entire Falcons roster. You needn't remind us any more of whom every single one of them are.

Why don't you just list the entire Falcons 53 man roster and tell us that we better worry about all of them. That is essentially what you have been doing.

So take note: I am sure that the Browns coaching staff is indeed "worrying" about the entire Falcons roster. You needn't remind us any more of whom every single one of them are.

Sorry. I tend to study positional matchups so I look at individual players. If it would make it any easier for you, I'll just refer to "running backs" or "linebackers." I could simplify it even more by referencing just "the Falcons offense" or the "Browns defense."

Yes, I worry about the entire Browns 53-man roster. Doesn't mean we can't break it down.

Sorry. I tend to study positional matchups so I look at individual players. If it would make it any easier for you, I'll just refer to "running backs" or "linebackers." I could simplify it even more by referencing just "the Falcons offense" or the "Browns defense."

Yes, I worry about the entire Browns 53-man roster. Doesn't mean we can't break it down.

It is not an issue of it being easier or simpler. It is simple enough. It is an issue of anality.

But, by all means, please feel free to break it down. Give us YOUR view of the matchups.

I'll help you out OldFan...

QB's

Falcons > Browns

WR's

Falcons > Browns

RB's

Falcons > Browns

ST's

Falcons < Browns

Defense

Falcons > Browns

Offense

Falcons > Browns

Here is how I see the overall match-ups, match-up.

The Falcons ST's has been our weakest link so far, so I'm going to give you guys that one.

QB's

Falcons > Browns

WR's

Falcons > Browns

RB's

Falcons > Browns

ST's

Falcons < Browns

Defense

Falcons > Browns

Offense

Falcons > Browns

The Falcons ST's has been our weakest link so far, so I'm going to give you guys that one.

I'll give you the WR advantage because of Roddy White, but I could easily disagree with the rest. You are like all nonbrowns fans including ESPN analysts that think Cribbs gives us a Special Teams advantage and just assume we suck all around besides that..

I am not saying that the Browns will win Sunday, but you guys better bring your A game to Cleveland on Sunday if you expect to win..

I think we have a better o-line, better fullback and tailbacks, better special teams, better linebackers and d-line, and BETTER COACHING. I expect it's going to be close.

YOu think? Based on what? I'm not being disrespectful but on paper it just doesn't add up that way. Take a look at our heads up rankings then repost. I am by no means saying that stats tell the whole story nor do I think we have this game in the bag. It will be a hard fought game, I think we win TOP and thus win the game by a narrow margin.

QB's

Falcons > Browns

WR's

Falcons > Browns

RB's

Falcons > Browns

I am not so sure you are right about this. Remember, part of the running game is the strength of the O Line. If the Falcons might be considered slightly better at the RB position (and I am not sure I would even grant you that), they are not superior at the OL positions. I feel pretty confident in saying that.

ST's

Falcons < Browns

Defense

Falcons > Browns Again, I think more of a breakdown would be needed here. Not that your conclusion is necessarily wrong, I would just prefer to see a little more substantiation.

Offense

Falcons > Browns

I'll give you the WR advantage because of Roddy White, but I could easily disagree with the rest. You are like all nonbrowns fans including ESPN analysts that think Cribbs gives us a Special Teams advantage and just assume we suck all around besides that..

I am not saying that the Browns will win Sunday, but you guys better bring your A game to Cleveland on Sunday if you expect to win..

I gave you the special teams advantage because outside of Eric Weems, and Bryant we have sucked. We've given up returns, punt blocks, and huge penalties that could have easily of resulted in a 1-3 record. It has nothing to do with Cribbs.

YOu think? Based on what? I'm not being disrespectful but on paper it just doesn't add up that way. Take a look at our heads up rankings then repost. I am by no means saying that stats tell the whole story nor do I think we have this game in the bag. It will be a hard fought game, I think we win TOP and thus win the game by a narrow margin.

I am not that familiar with the Falcons personell. But just on this who is being matched up:

Fullback: Vickers vs. ? For the Falcons to have the better of it here, your FB better be the best #1 FB in the entire league.

Running backs: Hillis and Harrison vs. Michael Turner and ? Hillis as I am sure you have heard is a bone cruncher. All Harrison has done is have the 3rd best rushing day in the history of the NFL. So these guys CAN get the job done.

Turner has no doubt been a quality RB in the past. Don't know about your backups.

OLine: Browns left side of the OL doesn't take a back seat to anyone in football with Thomas, Steinbach, and Mack at center. The right side has not been as quality, but they are beginning to step up.

As far as LBs and DL, I would not profess to say that the Browns are anything but middle of the road, so if you argue the Falcons are better there I would not be prepared to counter argue that point.

The Browns special teams have been one of the best (hell, last year the best 3 players on the team may have been the kicker, the punter and the kick returner). I will say that Cribbs has not gotten loose yet. But he is a pent up Tiger and somebody soon is going to get clawed.

I gave you the special teams advantage because outside of Eric Weems, and Bryant we have sucked. We've given up returns, punt blocks, and huge penalties that could have easily of resulted in a 1-3 record. It has nothing to do with Cribbs.

I'm really hoping that after Sunday you'll be rethinking that statement ;) By the sound of Atlanta's special teams this might be the week we finally see Cribbs tack up KR #9 on his resume

vs. Tampa Bay

104 yds | 23 ATT | 4.5 ypc

----------------------

vs. Kansas City

73 yds | 26 ATT | 2.8 ypc

-----------------------

vs. Baltimore

173 yds | 29 ATT | 6.0 ypc

-----------------------

vs. Bengals

116 yds | 35 ATT | 3.3 ypc

We've gained over 100 yds rushing in 3 out of 4 games so far. We've ran the ball well against teams that are usually stout against the run in Cincinnati and Baltimore. The only team that held us under 100 yds rushing is Kansas City and they are, surprisingly, #1 in rush defense.

Atlanta's rush defense is better than TB, Baltimore, and Cinci, but I think with the way Hillis runs we will be able to run the ball effectively.

We've given up only 50 more rush yards this season than Atlanta has, Atlanta is in the top 5 in rushing so far, but I think we have a good chance at shutting your running game down.

I am not that familiar with the Falcons personell. But just on this who is being matched up:

Fullback: Vickers vs. ? For the Falcons to have the better of it here, your FB better be the best #1 FB in the entire league.

Running backs: Hillis and Harrison vs. Michael Turner and ? Hillis as I am sure you have heard is a bone cruncher. All Harrison has done is have the 3rd best rushing day in the history of the NFL. So these guys CAN get the job done.

Turner has no doubt been a quality RB in the past. Don't know about your backups.

OLine: Browns left side of the OL doesn't take a back seat to anyone in football with Thomas, Steinbach, and Mack at center. The right side has not been as quality, but they are beginning to step up.

As far as LBs and DL, I would not profess to say that the Browns are anything but middle of the road, so if you argue the Falcons are better there I would not be prepared to counter argue that point.

The Browns special teams have been one of the best (hell, last year the best 3 players on the team may have been the kicker, the punter and the kick returner). I will say that Cribbs has not gotten loose yet. But he is a pent up Tiger and somebody soon is going to get clawed.

FB- Ovie Mughelli arguably the best in the game today.

RB- Turner and Snelling both bruisers our scatt back is out for the season.

WR&TE - White one of the best, Harry Douglas a few too many drops but we may get Jenkins back this week. Tony G is said to have lost a step, you tell me after Suday.

OL- Same group together for the last 3 years LT Sam Baker has been a little weak so far.

DL - Abe still bringing it, getting held a lot, Biermann coming from the other end. Middle is solid Jerry is still coming back from injury but getting better each game and Babs is a hoss.

LB- these guys are the strength of this D, fast, hard hitting.

DB - much improved over last year, Grimes and Robinson playing well at the corners with DeCoud and Moore over the top.

ST - I'm gonna give ya, our coverage has been horrible.

FB- Ovie Mughelli arguably the best in the game today.

RB- Turner and Snelling both bruisers our scatt back is out for the season.

WR&TE - White one of the best, Harry Douglas a few too many drops but we may get Jenkins back this week. Tony G is said to have lost a step, you tell me after Suday.

OL- Same group together for the last 3 years LT Sam Baker has been a little weak so far.

DL - Abe still bringing it, getting held a lot, Biermann coming from the other end. Middle is solid Jerry is still coming back from injury but getting better each game and Babs is a hoss.

LB- these guys are the strength of this D, fast, hard hitting.

DB - much improved over last year, Grimes and Robinson playing well at the corners with DeCoud and Moore over the top.

ST - I'm gonna give ya, our coverage has been horrible.

You know, we are not on first name basis with any of these guys so when you say Abe or Jerry you may want to be more specific.

I do see the Falcons as a playoff contender this year, I will grant you that. And that is fine. The Falcons have been one of the more forlorn franchises in history. For what it is worth, you are free to win your division this years, just not Sunday's game. The AFC North is pretty rough company.

How bout the play against the 49ers where our fullback carried the DB for over 25 yards down the sideline paving the way for that big run by Turner!!

That was amazing...

Browns secondary. Take notice...

Give us a link to it and we will take a look.

QB's

Falcons > Browns

WR's

Falcons > Browns

RB's

Falcons > Browns

ST's

Falcons < Browns

Defense

Falcons > Browns

Offense

Falcons > Browns

This would be great if our offense were playing your offense and the defenses played each other.

The passing game is a matchup between an average Browns WR corps and a Falcons defensive backfield that is improving every week.

"Improving every week"??? Come on man. You've got to do better than that. That statement doesn't mean they're any good. That just means you hope they're better than they've been.

Weatherspoon? That same short LB out of Mizzou? Mr. Weatherspoon meet Mr. Vickers.

Well, golly gee...Maybe Matt Ryan needs to worry about Matt Roth. Perhaps you need to worry about Shaun Rogers. Perhaps everyone needs to worry about everyone?!?!

"Improving every week"??? Come on man. You've got to do better than that. That statement doesn't mean they're any good. That just means you hope they're better than they've been.

Weatherspoon? That same short LB out of Mizzou? Mr. Weatherspoon meet Mr. Vickers.

Well, golly gee...Maybe Matt Ryan needs to worry about Matt Roth. Perhaps you need to worry about Shaun Rogers. Perhaps everyone needs to worry about everyone?!?!

I agree...

This is the NFL and there are no gimme games. These are the best athletes in the world and it will be a good game. At the end, I believe the Falcons make 2 or 3 extra plays and win by 7-10 pts.

QB's

Falcons > Browns

WR's

Falcons > Browns

RB's

Falcons > Browns

ST's

Falcons < Browns

Defense

Falcons > Browns

Offense

Falcons > Browns

Oh gosh, thank you!

Hey guys, did you hear? Some poker player from Atlanta gave us a special teams edge!

Of course they have all the rest ... why even play the game?

Zombo

Personally, when I look at matchups, most teams in the NFL are almost indistinguishable talent-wise. It's the strength v strength matchups that usually tell the tale. What I see...

Both these teams would rather line up and run it 50 times than throw it. That means the OL that is able to impose it's will on the other is going to have the advantage. I could see the Browns looking good at it early with the Falcons looking good late. The nature of our running games would tend to suggest that would be the case, imo. Truthfully, I think the running is going to be successful for both teams, so one can negate that as a determinate factor in the game. That means the team who can make the most of its passing opportunities and convert/defend on special teams is likely going to get out with a win. Cribbs is the x-factor that I worry about more than anything else going into this game. If we don't get a handle on him, the Browns could pull the upset.

On your side, I would be concerned with our Wrs because we get Michael Jenkins (buckeye you know I'm sure) back this week. Without him our vertical passing has been non-existent. If he is healthy and ready to go, I would not be surprised if we take some shots deep early in this one. With Douglas back in the slot, it will be a tall order to cover everybody for 60 minutes without some breakdowns along the way. The key for your DBs is to keep our WRs in front of you. If they get into open field often, it could get ugly.

All in all, I see a pretty close game, but I think our offensive weapons will ultimately come through in the 4th quarter. Say 24-17 Falcons. You guys are improving and I'm glad, but this game is probably going to be one where you are simply out-talented by a more complete team.

Personally, when I look at matchups, most teams in the NFL are almost indistinguishable talent-wise. It's the strength v strength matchups that usually tell the tale. What I see...

Both these teams would rather line up and run it 50 times than throw it. That means the OL that is able to impose it's will on the other is going to have the advantage. I could see the Browns looking good at it early with the Falcons looking good late. The nature of our running games would tend to suggest that would be the case, imo. Truthfully, I think the running is going to be successful for both teams, so one can negate that as a determinate factor in the game. That means the team who can make the most of its passing opportunities and convert/defend on special teams is likely going to get out with a win. Cribbs is the x-factor that I worry about more than anything else going into this game. If we don't get a handle on him, the Browns could pull the upset.

On your side, I would be concerned with our Wrs because we get Michael Jenkins (buckeye you know I'm sure) back this week. Without him our vertical passing has been non-existent. If he is healthy and ready to go, I would not be surprised if we take some shots deep early in this one. With Douglas back in the slot, it will be a tall order to cover everybody for 60 minutes without some breakdowns along the way. The key for your DBs is to keep our WRs in front of you. If they get into open field often, it could get ugly.

All in all, I see a pretty close game, but I think our offensive weapons will ultimately come through in the 4th quarter. Say 24-17 Falcons. You guys are improving and I'm glad, but this game is probably going to be one where you are simply out-talented by a more complete team.

Well, I think I schooled one of your colleagues on this: given the seemingly parity of the two teams, the decision will come down to the ever important turnover margin....as it does in so many NFL games.

Well, I think I schooled one of your colleagues on this: given the seemingly parity of the two teams, the decision will come down to the ever important turnover margin....as it does in so many NFL games.

I am not saying the Falcons are going to win. But to say the two teams have "seemingly parity" is silly. The Falcons arebetter are almost every unit (RB, WR, QB, LB, DL, OL clearly go to the Falcons). Not trying to dismiss the Browns but if you look at it objectively you would agree.

I am not saying the Falcons are going to win. But to say the two teams have "seemingly parity" is silly. The Falcons arebetter are almost every unit (RB, WR, QB, LB, DL, OL clearly go to the Falcons). Not trying to dismiss the Browns but if you look at it objectively you would agree.

Bullshit, Bullshit, bullshit. The only units I will give the Falcons the clear edge in those areas are WR, and probably QB. The rest: Not so fast my friend.

The OL is almost clearly an edge for the Browns. The RB, LB, DL, are all fully debatable.

No, the silliness was on your part for making such a claim.

Bullshit, Bullshit, bullshit. The only units I will give the Falcons the clear edge in those areas are WR, and probably QB. The rest: Not so fast my friend.

The OL is almost clearly an edge for the Browns. The RB, LB, DL, are all fully debatable.

No, the silliness was on your part for making such a claim.

Don't take my word for it check out the link below. And the ESPN scouting report is more lopsided than my statement.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=301010005

Joe Thomas is better than all any of the Falcons Olinemen. However as a unit the Falcons are better. Most "experts" have the Falcons as a top ten unit. And Sorry Hillis is not better than Turner + Snelling.

Don't take my word for it check out the link below. And the ESPN scouting report is more lopsided than my statement.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=301010005

Joe Thomas is better than all any of the Falcons Olinemen. However as a unit the Falcons are better. Most "experts" have the Falcons as a top ten unit. And Sorry Hillis is not better than Turner + Snelling.

I don't have to take your word, and I don't have to take ESPN's word. Hillis and Harrison and Vickers together may indeed be better than Turner. Hillis is in the Top 10 in rushing and TDs, Turner is not. Harrison had a game just late last year where he gained 286 yards. I know no Falcon has ever done that. I know that Falcons have a pretty good fullback but I don't think anyone clears a path like Vickers does. No, I don't buy that the Falcons running game is better.

And I certainly don't buy that their OLine is better. And it is not just Thomas, it is Steinbach and Mack, and the other two are coming along as well.

For the DL, LBs, and DBs I am going to need some more data before I would just hand that edge to the Falcons.

Archived