THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt McCoy

Thomaspro

I am worried Colt is going to get slaughtered on Sunday. If the line can not protect Wallace who has scrambling ability, then how will they protect Colt who will have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at him. Hopefully Hillis will be able to relieve some of that pressure with the run. What are your thoughts?

Run, run, and run some more until we punt or get a score... rinse and repeat...I would hate this daboll basic playbook under normal circumstances but against the steelers it may just get the kid through the game in one piece...its hillis i am more concerned with since we generally dont tag team our RBs enough, hillis is a tank but the steelers have a couple of anti- tank rockets on the other side...

Not to mention a 100% mechanical understanding of exactly what the browns are going to try to do...

I believe that Colt is far more elusive and fast to avoid the rush than Seneca has been.

Sure, he's a rookie... but Colt will have to step up and throw early, completing a few passes here and there, or

trying to run on first and second down into the Steeler defense stacking the line is going to make for a tough time.

Colt has to step up, and Dabol MUST let Colt play the game. Dabol MUST avoid the run run pass thing especially now, to avoid

third and longs.

And, the Browns should wear safety glasses, or Troy Pollymoomoo will poke them in the eye with his hair.

Only playing pittsblurg's defense, will make other tems worry about rugburn if they have PollyGirlieMan run past them within the two yards of

his flying hairdo.

If the kid remembers to get rid of the ball soon rather than waiting long for someone to get open, he will be fine. The acquisition of Bell should lift the load of Hillis's leg. if we can grind out first down after first downs we will be good and the D will be given enough rest to make an impact.

I am worried Colt is going to get slaughtered on Sunday. If the line can not protect Wallace who has scrambling ability, then how will they protect Colt who will have everything but the kitchen sink thrown at him. Hopefully Hillis will be able to relieve some of that pressure with the run. What are your thoughts?

We have had one the best pass protecting offensive lines this year, no? Before the Atlanta game, we had only given up 4 sacks...much of the disruption from last week can be attributed to one person - John Abraham. Don't get me wrong, I think the Steelers will bring loads of pressure, but I don't think they have a DE/LB of the same caliber of Abraham. Plus, I think JT will bounce back big time from last game.

We have had one the best pass protecting offensive lines this year, no? Before the Atlanta game, we had only given up 4 sacks...much of the disruption from last week can be attributed to one person - John Abraham. Don't get me wrong, I think the Steelers will bring loads of pressure, but I don't think they have a DE/LB of the same caliber of Abraham. Plus, I think JT will bounce back big time from last game.

James Harrison anyone?

Kid's a dead man... one terrible start against Pitt and we might ruin the kid.

But please if he fails, do not call for his head.... We need to stop what we're doing.... Everyone wants to crucify Jake already and hes been playing hurt. Sure he's old and might not care (as seen in the 2nd half vs ATL) but we never give anyone a friggin chance....

Give this kid one... I hated when we drafted him but its exciting to think what an actual NFL QB and our run game could do together.

Agree on all accounts. If he's doing his best and his best ain't good enough thats no excuse to crucify anyone. Thats not support.

I understand that a rookie QB (with question marks) is starting against a top 3 defense in this league on Sunday for his first NFL start. There's probably 50 or more reasons why he will fail. There's a handful of reasons why he could be successful. The degree of negativity surrounding the Browns' chances is moreso than usual and everyone is so quick to mark this as a Browns' loss. If that's the case, then hell,...let's not EVEN SHOW UP! Let's just FORFEIT THE DAMNED GAME!

The problems here are multiple:

1. No one wants to believe that the 44 other guys who are suiting up on Sunday can hang with the Steelers. They hung in there with the Ravens, didn't they?

2. People are talking as if he's going to be sacked 50 times. He's athletic enough to elude the rush a little bit (as long as he can recognize it)

3. No one seems to understand that the Steelers defense on any given play will give up something. All defenses do. Everyone seems to think that the kid can't guess correctly. I will concede that even veteran QBs are humbled by the Steelers but they aren't exactly reinventing football.

4. It sounds as if some people assumed that if Colt gets sacked or hit he's simply going to fold. The bottom line here is pride. All football players have pride. If they play for no one else, they'll play for themselves. Joe Thomas isn't going to quit because he had a bad game. Neither is Josh Cribbs or Peyton Hillis or (insert name here). They're professional football players and just like I would not expect a Steeler or a Raven to roll over and quit I would not expect that from the Browns either. This locker room has character guys. They won't quit. They may not be good enough to beat the Steelers but that doesn't mean we aren't going to take the damned field. That's why you play the games on the field and not on paper. The coaching staff has come up with good game plans through the first five games. Lets see if we can execute one with a rookie QB catering to what he can do rather than what he can't.

5. No one here seems to have a consistent definition of "success" for a Colt-led Browns' squad. Success may not be the same is winning. If he goes out and throws for 150 yards and no turnovers....is that success? Do you rate his success in this game based on stats at all? I'm going to be more lenient grading the kid his first time out but that doesn't mean he can't score some high marks on his own. If Brady Quinn can beat the Steelers, there's hope for everyone.

Just my opinions. I'm sure you'll all disagree.

as a hc, maginini has had success against the steelers. his jets beat them once and he lost one and won one as the hc for the browns.

as a dc, rob ryan's d has had success against the steelers o to. his d embarassed ben and helped the raiders beat them once with oakland and he lost one and won one as the dc for the browns.

just some food for thought amongst all of the browns vs steelers talk.

with all of the young qbs getting a shot lately in the nfl, i see no reason why colt shouldn't play. even if it will be a trial by fire, it's not like he'll be going into a bad situation surrounded by a bad o-line and no running game. colt's supposed to be an accurate qb. screen passes and dump offs can help beat the blitz and call the d off (maybe even making them play more honest?).

I'm not one to make guarantees or anything like that. i'm just looking at this from a different perspective. I have absolutely no idea what will happen this sunday. but that's why they play the game and we faithfully watch the game.

I believe that Colt is far more elusive and fast to avoid the rush than Seneca has been.

Sure, he's a rookie... but Colt will have to step up and throw early, completing a few passes here and there, or

trying to run on first and second down into the Steeler defense stacking the line is going to make for a tough time.

Colt has to step up, and Dabol MUST let Colt play the game. Dabol MUST avoid the run run pass thing especially now, to avoid

third and longs.

good post, cal. i heard someone say the samething about mark sanchez. they said the team was hurting him with the conservative play calling. when they opened up the offense a little more, it actually made his job alot easier and he has been more successful. not saying colt will have the same results, but it wouldn't hurt to take the training wheels off and see what he can handle. give him a nice play here and there.

we better see alot of the flash package to and i'm not just talking about running the ball. i want to see cribbs pass it like he did last sunday and more than once. if all he does is run, that will make it easy to defend against. the point is to fool the opposing d. they should be on their heels wondering if cribbs is going to run, pass or hand it off.

I would expect the first play be a pass of some sort, and agree that 3rd and long, especially if on our side of the 50 to become almost a throw away play....hand off, draw, swing pass.

If we are going to pass, it needs to me more 1st and 2nd down throws and less 3rd down throws.

Field position is going to be a key to the game....as well as us not giving up any defensive points.

We have to stay away from giving them short fields which is why I say almost throw away plays. I know we all want 1st downs, but until late in the game where we have to try to make something happen, just be happy punting the ball to try to flip the field, and then work on stopping them, and maybe creating a turn over or two in our favor.

If we can keep them in a position where they are starting 25 yards or more from field goal position, we can win this game.

If we get the ball to start the game, it's critical we work out towards mid field at minimum so we can own the field position right off.

we better see alot of the flash package to and i'm not just talking about running the ball. i want to see cribbs pass it like he did last sunday and more than once. if all he does is run, that will make it easy to defend against. the point is to fool the opposing d. they should be on their heels wondering if cribbs is going to run, pass or hand it off.

This is EXACTLY why Miami has always been more successful with the WildDawg than other teams. It's not because their o-line is exceptional or that Ronnie and Ricky are fast or elusive. It's because compared to most teams (except perhaps the Jets with Brad Smith), the Dolphins' version actually has a trigger-man that can actually throw a decent ball and the threat of that makes it far more effective.

This is EXACTLY why Miami has always been more successful with the WildDawg than other teams. It's not because their o-line is exceptional or that Ronnie and Ricky are fast or elusive. It's because compared to most teams (except perhaps the Jets with Brad Smith), the Dolphins' version actually has a trigger-man that can actually throw a decent ball and the threat of that makes it far more effective.

No doubt.

If the Colts started playing Peyton Manning at running back, I doubt many teams would actually think the Colts were going to run the ball.

If we are going to stick Cribbs back there and expect his running to do much damage, we have to let him actually throw the ball on a fairly regular basis if we hope to keep anybody off balance.

That is why in the grand scheme I feel Tebow is going to be at minimum a fairly good NFL QB once he gets his feet wet.

Is it just me, or are defenses sitting on those swing passes lately?

Seneca nearly threw a couple of ints that way, and both JD and Wallace

have given up TD's because of it, I think.

I'd not have Colt throwing them but rarely.

I got Colt's autograph when he was in Baltimore to receive the Johnny Unitas "Golden Arm" award as the best QB in college football. He's a stand up guy, and one heck of a QB. I wish nothing but the best for this young man, except the two weeks that he plays my Ravens. If Mangini brings him along like he should, McCoy could be the franchise QB you guys have been looking for. And hopefully, his legacy starts this Sunday against those idiots from Pittsburgh.

If Brady Quinn can beat the Steelers, there's hope for everyone.

agreed. B)

this season is already beginning to look like a wash, may the new era begin!

the call to start Colt has Holmy's fingerprints all over it. it buys EM time, which brings more continuity, which i like. i never thought it would happen so soon, especially opening against the Steelers, but sooner is certainly preferred over later.

i recommend we all drink heavily Sunday...beginning at DAWN.

agreed. B)

this season is already beginning to look like a wash, may the new era begin!

the call to start Colt has Holmy's fingerprints all over it. it buys EM time, which brings more continuity, which i like. i never thought it would happen so soon, especially opening against the Steelers, but sooner is certainly preferred over later.

i recommend we all drink heavily Sunday...beginning at DAWN.

Do you think if Colt plays well he will get the rest of the season?

It's official, the bottom line on madden said that a team source told Jason Calaforna(?) , and it also said the browns have new team colors, "brown and bruised" , can someone explain that?

It has to do with how many we have on the injury list.

http://www.rtsports.com/football-news/1000063806

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - The Cleveland Browns have new team colors: bruised and orange.

As many as seven starters, including quarterbacks Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace and running back Peyton Hillis, missed their second straight practice on Thursday as the Browns prepared to face Pittsburgh. The injury bug has bitten deep into the Browns this season.

Wallace, who made four starts while Delhomme recovered a high ankle sprain, confirmed that he suffered the same injury in the first half of Sunday's loss to Atlanta. With both experienced QBs limping, the Browns are expected to start rookie Colt McCoy against the Steelers.

Wallace joked that plastic walking boots have become fashionable with the Browns.

Hillis is out with a thigh injury, but coach Eric Mangini believes his leading rusher will play this week.

Be a little more specific. And less creepy.

The Browns are an expansion franchise, it took the shitty ass Steelers a long ass time to get this good and the Ravens used the foundation that was in Cleveland to build their organization. So don't give us any of us any shit about being bad fans, we've been through more than you could ever even imagine. Your just some loser kid/guy on a web forum trolling a place others go to talk about their team,

Then you make up some gay moniker to mock one of those people.

Who does that, who are you people?

If that defines 'good fan', then yeah buddy, that isn't me.

I hate to be a butthead about this- but as a Browns fan you should know better. The Browns are NOT an expansion Franchise, they are indeed the same franchise that took up shop in Cleveland in 1946. And we fought like hell to keep it that way. Peyton Manning is chasing Johnny Unitas' records, Peyton Hillis is chasing Jim Brown's- comprendo? The Ravens are the expansion FRANCHISE. Call the Browns an expansion TEAM. Think of this in the business world. If your corner McDonald's moved all its employees to another city, and then reopened 3 years later, is it the same FRANCHISE? As long as it was part of McDonald's Corporation it sure is.

Archived