THE BROWNS BOARD

The Real Power Rankings

The Gipper

Here are the REAL NFL power rankings: Title this: If the season ended today, who would be in the playoffs?:

AFC:

North: Ravens, and they would have #1 seed.

East: Jets

South: Texans

West: Chiefs

Wild card #1: Patriots wild card #2: Steelers

NFC:

South: Falcons, and they would be #1 seed

North: Bears

East: Redskins

West: Cardinals

Wild card #1: Buccaneers wild card #2: Giants

This, as they say, is the bottom line. Of course it is way early, but still this is more real than any power rankings.

Here are the REAL NFL power rankings: Title this: If the season ended today, who would be in the playoffs?:

AFC:

NFC:

This, as they say, is the bottom line. Of course it is way early, but still this is more real than any power rankings.

I would put the Steelers above Ravens just cos they won over the Ravens (also cos i hate the Ravens more).

AFC:

NFC:

Nope, those aren't the "real power rankings".

First, there's only 5 games played, plus a few bye weeks.

Law of small numbers thing.

Second, if you are going to measure power rankings (ie: how highly a team is rated), you need to be a little more sophisticated than just posting the division leaders.

Someone here has an algorithm that ranks power, probably based on strength of opponent. I've designed similar programs in the past, it can be reasonably done with a minimal amount of variables.

What you posted is simply conference standings.

But hey - nobody ever accused stains fans of being rocket surgeons.

Regards...

... an'at

I'm a rocket surgeon, and you've just been been diagnosed with troll-itis.

Wanna make a sig bet on the game?

Yeah, sure.

Loser keeps the sig picked by the winner up for a week.

No tiny wording either.

If the Steelers win, your sig reads "CLOSET STEELER FAN SINCE 1999"

That work?

Regards...

... an'at

Yeah, sure.

Loser keeps the sig picked by the winner up for a week.

No tiny wording either.

If the Steelers win, your sig reads "CLOSET STEELER FAN SINCE 1999"

That work?

Okay, I'm in. If we win, your sig becomes, "I WANT ALL OF YINZ TO KNOW, I REALLY, TRULY LOVE THE BROWNS AND THE CITY OF CLEVELAND... an'at"

Nah, he just won't post for a week. You should make it until the rematch or for X number of posts. Though the math may get too complex for him on the latter.

You really wanna try me on that? AFAIK, I'm the biggest geek on this board.

Yeah, everyone knows that you toss the conference standings out the window when figuring out who goes to the playoffs.

These Steeler fems are posting some of the dumbest shit this week. The Steelers are the only team not to win a Division game yet this season and the guys yammering about his teams ranking over a team that punked them on their own turf.

... then the guy basically calls everyone else stupid.

FAIL

I would put the Steelers above Ravens just cos they won over the Ravens (also cos i hate the Ravens more).

What are you talking about? The Ravens won that game....and that is why they are above.

This list is not an opinion about which team is better or not....it is based on records/ head to head matchups, and division and conference records.

Nope, those aren't the "real power rankings".

First, there's only 5 games played, plus a few bye weeks.

Of course it is way premature. It is only a snapshot of what would happen right now. It could and will change every week as will every other system of doing "power rankings".

Law of small numbers thing.

Second, if you are going to measure power rankings (ie: how highly a team is rated), you need to be a little more sophisticated than just posting the division leaders.

Well, despite the title to the thread I am not really trying to measure "power rankings".

Someone here has an algorithm that ranks power, probably based on strength of opponent. I've designed similar programs in the past, it can be reasonably done with a minimal amount of variables.

You are free to do that if it makes you happy. I am simply relating "who would make the playoffs if the season ended today"

Precisely. And in the NFL that is all that counts. Ultimately it is the Final standings that will ultimately count, but this just an "interim status".

Regards...

High mathematics is not really necessary to determine who will ultimately make the NFL playoffs....and I will completely defer to your capabilities in that area. Applying a high mathematical formula to this analysis may indeed be entertaining for you. It would not be for me.

As a Ravens fan, I have to say the Browns should be higher. They gave us all we could handle, and have improved in every aspect of the game from last year, except QB. They aren't among the worst teams in the NFL despite their record, and will be a team to be reckoned with in the coming years. Also....PLEASE beat the Squealers this week.

As a Ravens fan, I have to say the Browns should be higher. They gave us all we could handle, and have improved in every aspect of the game from last year, except QB. They aren't among the worst teams in the NFL despite their record, and will be a team to be reckoned with in the coming years. Also....PLEASE beat the Squealers this week.

As a Browns fan I unfortuneatly have to disagree with you. Remember, I am not really trying to do a power ranking here. I am really only going by won-loss record and standings and the Browns are in fact a 1-4 team, notwithstanding the close defeats. So, despite the improvement you mentioned and despite the fact that we hope you are right and that they will be a team to be reckoned with in the future, for right now, this week they are still 1-4. Of course it would be nice to improve that status by doing what you ask and winning this week.

Yeah, everyone knows that you toss the conference standings out the window when figuring out who goes to the playoffs.

These Steeler fems are posting some of the dumbest shit this week. The Steelers are the only team not to win a Division game yet this season and the guys yammering about his teams ranking over a team that punked them on their own turf.

FAIL

The concepts of "power rankings" and "qualifying for the playoffs" are two completely different subjects. If that's not dumbed down enough for yinz, I'm not sure further explanation will have a material impact.

And I call it like I see it.

Thanks for playing though.

Regards...

... an'at

The concepts of "power rankings" and "qualifying for the playoffs" are two completely different subjects. If that's not dumbed down enough for yinz, I'm not sure further explanation will have a material impact.

And I call it like I see it.

Thanks for playing though.

Regards...

I agree with you. "Power rankings" and "who qualifies for the playoffs ARE two completely different subjects."

One is real, one is not.

It is not an issue of "dumbing down", its an issue of "not giving a shit". "Power rankings" is just fantasy league BS.

Who makes the NFL playoffs is what counts as far as I am concerned.

Several people have commented that "the Browns should be a lot higher in the power rankings because they have played these other winning teams so tough". Yea? Well, a lot of frikking good having a good power ranking would do us. The Browns are still 1-4. No power ranking is going to change that.

Would you rather have the Steelers have a high power ranking but stay home for the playoffs? Or would you rather have them make the playoffs?

I think the answer to that is obvious.

This year in either the AFC West or the NFC West you are probably going to have a team that goes 8-8..or worse.. make the playoffs, and you will probably have an 11-5 team sitting home. I bet the 11-5 team would have a higher power ranking than the 8-8 team, but that 11-5 team will be sitting on their asses at playoff time. Do you think they would be happy with their power ranking?

How in the world do you find the time to make up this kind of stuff?

Here's how you know these rankings are not the least bit accurate or real:

1. You posted it

2. It's 25% of the way through the season

3. At least 5 of those teams won't even make the playoffs

4. You posted it.

Again, it is just a snapshot of what would happen right here right now this week. Of course it will not be accurate come the end of the season, but it is more accurate and real than any power ranking is.

And it is not anything I made up, it is just something I reported simply by looking at the standings.

YOu could have done it yourself. You just have to look here:

http://www.nfl.com/standings

The good thing is that you can look forward to a post of this nature for each week the remainder of the season.

How in the world do you find the time to make up this kind of stuff?

Here's how you know these rankings are not the least bit accurate or real:

1. You posted it

2. It's 25% of the way through the season

3. At least 5 of those teams won't even make the playoffs

4. You posted it.

OK, how about this then since you are Nostradumbass: Which of the 5 teams that are listed won't make the playoffs as you claim, and who do you think will replace them?

FAIL

It has a lot to do with all of the inbreeding that has gone on among steeler fans.

charles-darwin-inbreeding-photos-pictures-inspirational-photos-pics.jpg

Every Browns loss is on this list... and they had an opportunity to defeat each of them.

Of course, in the end... it IS the record that matters. You don't get a WC spot with moral victories.

Still like the progress though.

UHH..like the Browns are 1 and 4...(PROGRESS??)

soon to be 1 and 8!

You haven't either, especially in the last 15 years, we moved to Baltimore and got an expansion team.

You try it dumb xxxx.

It will never occur so we won't have to try it. Still no excuse for a host of horrendous drafts since that point. How many players on your starting line up where drafted? Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Eric Wright, TJ Ward are the guys off the top of my head. 15 years later you cannot blame the Browns being sold for your on the field woes. It's been a complete and total meltdown across the board. 15 years is plenty of time to turn anything around.

lol. Absolutely hilarious. Now post the real standings.

i don't see why you are so quick to shut this fact down. as it stands, the steelers are dead last in the division. there is no argument. i know that they are tied for the best record and are one of the best teams in the league, but nobody can argue those numbers. it's a fact.

What are you talking about? The Ravens won that game....and that is why they are above.

This list is not an opinion about which team is better or not....it is based on records/ head to head matchups, and division and conference records.

My apologies, I got the results mixed up.

i don't see why you are so quick to shut this fact down. as it stands, the steelers are dead last in the division. there is no argument. i know that they are tied for the best record and are one of the best teams in the league, but nobody can argue those numbers. it's a fact.

Exactly

I will post the REAL standings since he asked for them:

Ravens 4-1 .800

Steelers 3-1 .750

We know the rest so I will leave it at that.

Archived