THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio's Two College Teams

OrangeHelmet-UK

I have a question, , could anyone tell me why the Ohio State 'buckeye's' are better Supported and stronger than the 'Bobcats'?

Having visited Cleveland recently for a Browns game , Both college's played each other the same weekend, and Ohio State seemed a lot stronger than Ohio

Please excuse my ignorance , I live in the UK and just wondered about the history of the two colleges.

I have a question, , could anyone tell me why the Ohio State 'buckeye's' are better Supported and stronger than the 'Bobcats'?

Having visited Cleveland recently for a Browns game , Both college's played each other the same weekend, and Ohio State seemed a lot stronger than Ohio

Please excuse my ignorance , I live in the UK and just wondered about the history of the two colleges.

Ohio State is Peyton Hillis

Ohio University is Jerome Harrison

Ohio State is an elite program almost every year and Ohio U is lucky to make it to a bowl game every year. Plus OSU is located in Ohio's state capitol, Columbus.

Ha Ha I see..........its all becoming clear now !!

Ohio State plays in the Big 10. Ohio U plays in the MAC(mid-america conference). The MAC is a step down.

Not always by any means, but generally speaking the best players in the MAC are more like mid-level players in the Big10.

I am sure in Great Britain your amateur soccer leagues are broken down by grade....AAA, AA , or whatever,....much the same with college football here in the States.

Apparently, you never heard of the Penguins................and after the Buckeyes they are distant second

Pal, you're way off base. If you want to learn about real Ohio football at the college level, look at the history of Mount Union. Coach Larry Kehres has built a dynasty that may never be matched in NCAA history (and it is still going). There is nothing like it in college sports at any level. Mount Union plays fundementally sound football, and they don't lose.

A quick run down of football colleges in Ohio.

Ohio State: Division 1 Big 10 conference. They are the one of the elite teams in the entire NCAA every year. They always end up in the top 10 in the nation and are one of the only successful football teams to come out of Ohio. Even Steelers fans root for Ohio State. Lots of OSU players go into the NFL.

Kent State: This is the school I go to. They are Division 1 as well but in the MAC conference, which is a little weaker than the Big 10. We pride ourselves in good coaching and our top players making it to the NFL (Antonio Gates, Josh Cribbs, and the former James Harrison). Our basketball team is our best team as they are as good as any caliber in the nation, in my opinion.

Ohio University: They are a Division 1 school also in the MAC. They occasionally have players go to the NFL but always fall in the middle of the standing in the MAC conference and never go to a bowl game. Mediocre football. Basketball team is their strong suite right now.

Akron: Also a Division 1 school from the MAC. They are horrible in football. However, they have the #1 college soccer team in the USA. I am sure you can appreciate that. Jason Taylor and Domenic Hixon are from Akron.

Miami (OH): School that is always decent at football. They are Division 1 from the MAC. Ben Roethlisberger is from Miami (OH). They have the #1 College Hockey Team in the USA.

Toledo: They are another (this is getting redundant) division 1 MAC school. They have had their good years at football but those years are over. Bruce Gradkowski is from Toledo.

Cincinnati: They are a division 1 school from the Big East Conference. They are always in the mix to be Big East Champions. Good school at alot of sports. Brent Celek is fron Cincinnati.

Mount Union: Division 3 school. They have won the Division 3 NCAA Championship 6 years in a row or something like that. Pierre Garcon is from Mr. Union.

Ohio State: Division 1 Big 10 conference. They are the one of the elite teams in the entire NCAA every year. They always end up in the top 10 in the nation and are one of the only successful football teams to come out of Ohio. Even Steelers fans root for Ohio State. Lots of OSU players go into the NFL.

Kent State: This is the school I go to. They are Division 1 as well but in the MAC conference, which is a little weaker than the Big 10. We pride ourselves in good coaching and our top players making it to the NFL (Antonio Gates, Josh Cribbs, and the former James Harrison). Our basketball team is our best team as they are as good as any caliber in the nation, in my opinion.

Ohio University: They are a Division 1 school also in the MAC. They occasionally have players go to the NFL but always fall in the middle of the standing in the MAC conference and never go to a bowl game. Mediocre football. Basketball team is their strong suite right now.

Akron: Also a Division 1 school from the MAC. They are horrible in football. However, they have the #1 college soccer team in the USA. I am sure you can appreciate that. Jason Taylor and Domenic Hixon are from Akron.

Miami (OH): School that is always decent at football. They are Division 1 from the MAC. Ben Roethlisberger is from Miami (OH). They have the #1 College Hockey Team in the USA.

Toledo: They are another (this is getting redundant) division 1 MAC school. They have had their good years at football but those years are over. Bruce Gradkowski is from Toledo.

Cincinnati: They are a division 1 school from the Big East Conference. They are always in the mix to be Big East Champions. Good school at alot of sports. Brent Celek is fron Cincinnati.

Mount Union: Division 3 school. They have won the Division 3 NCAA Championship 6 years in a row or something like that. Pierre Garcon is from Mr. Union.

Lance Moore is from there also...great little reciever on our team....watch for him sunday

Thanks Cleveland sound

really interesting......I was told tickets for Buckeye games are harder to get than for Browns games ?

Thanks Cleveland sound

really interesting......I was told tickets for Buckeye games are harder to get than for Browns games ?

Wouldn't surprise me at all. The stadium holds 102,000. There are 60,000 students plus faculty, countless alumni, local fanatics and general OSU football lovers. 225 seats are needed for the "Best Band in the Land." And I guess the opponent's fans want tickets too. :)

the difference is that you will never forget going to ohio state to watch a game

and you will never remember going to OU to watch a game

F U ... I went to OU, and let me tell you. It's not OSU, but it's a damn good atmosphere for a college game. You obviously haven't been to OU for the Halloween celebration or homecoming weekend. At least OU doesn't pad their schedule by playing teams from a whole freaking Division below them every year, only to choke come the big game!

F U ... I went to OU, and let me tell you. It's not OSU, but it's a damn good atmosphere for a college game. You obviously haven't been to OU for the Halloween celebration or homecoming weekend. At least OU doesn't pad their schedule by playing teams from a whole freaking Division below them every year, only to choke come the big game!

He meant because of the hallucinogens and such, if I understood him correctly.

You forgot one.

YSU, Youngstown State University, The Penguins. FCS Division (formally 1AA) Missouri Valley Conference (formally the Gateway Conference) 4 National Titles!!!!!!!

Thank you Senator Tressle. Has had a couple of down years on the back now!!

wow......i was talking about the epic parties that are held there on the daily basis......somethin ohio state knows nothing about

Ohio State plays in the Big 10. Ohio U plays in the MAC(mid-america conference). The MAC is a step down.

Not always by any means, but generally speaking the best players in the MAC are more like mid-level players in the Big10.

I am sure in Great Britain your amateur soccer leagues are broken down by grade....AAA, AA , or whatever,....much the same with college football here in the States.

Agree about the MAC. What's funny is that out of Kent State's 6 NFL players, 3 of them are pro bowlers.

Kent State Golden Flashes (6)

Joshua Cribbs - WR/ST/QB - Cleveland Browns

Antonio Gates - TE - San Diego Chargers

Bob Hallen - C - San Diego Chargers

James Harrison - LB - Pittsburgh Steelers

Eric Mahl - LB - New York Jets

Abram Elam - DB - Cleveland Browns

Agree about the MAC. What's funny is that out of Kent State's 6 NFL players, 3 of them are pro bowlers.

usama young......DB saints

usama young......DB saints

in fact the saints have a number of players from ohio colleges.....apparently we have some good scouts up here

Chris Ivory RB Tiffin University

Malcolm Jenkins FS Ohio State

Lance Moore WR Toledo

Will Smith DE Ohio State

Usama Young DB Kent State

Mark Parson DB Ohio

the funny thing is that all of those guys make huge impacts on the team except parson who is on the practice squad.

in fact the saints have a number of players from ohio colleges.....apparently we have some good scouts up here

Chris Ivory RB Tiffin University

Malcolm Jenkins FS Ohio State

Lance Moore WR Toledo

Will Smith DE Ohio State

Usama Young DB Kent State

Mark Parson DB Ohio

the funny thing is that all of those guys make huge impacts on the team except parson who is on the practice squad.

The one guy from OU :lol:

Pal, you're way off base. If you want to learn about real Ohio football at the college level, look at the history of Mount Union. Coach Larry Kehres has built a dynasty that may never be matched in NCAA history (and it is still going). There is nothing like it in college sports at any level. Mount Union plays fundementally sound football, and they don't lose.

yes they are i have a buddy that goes there and plays on the football team went to school with a few of the guys on the team

Bandwagon. Gotta follow the teams that win religiously. Ohio State is the biggest bandwagon following in Ohio.

Funny that sounds a lot like another team from another state routinely chastised for such a following. Hmmmm

yeah, OU rules. been going there since 02, i finish my masters in 3 weeks. their team is in 1st place in the MAC-E. their program is getting some legs. they are a fun team to watch. also, couldn't agree more about the buckeyes.

You forgot a few...

Usama Young- S - New Orleans

Julian Edelman- WR - Patroits

Daniel Muir - DE - Colts

FIXED!

Kent State's Halloween is better hands down. I've been to both numerous times. You have a good one but nothing like Kent.

OSU is a bandwagon, but they won't admit it. 99% of the fans have never stepped foot in a classroom there.

Cincy has it's good years in football and basketball, but not much else.

Most MAC schools are mediocre...OU, Miami, Toledo, BG, etc.

Kent and Akron are a little better but if you need a #3 school in the state it is the U of Akron.

Facilities second to none, one of the best college soccer teams in history and probably the second best men's basketball team in the state since '05...football however is definitely having a down year, but was expected with a new coach. Not to mention the best mascot in the state Zippy!

Thanks Cleveland sound

It's pretty much like that for any top college program. Between the Alumni, and the number of tickets they reserve for students, faculty, staff, and a block to the visiting institution , there aren't many tickets sold on a per game basis.

At Florida I have been told there are usually less than 5000 seats that actually go on sale to the public.....I'd bet it is very similar at OSU and other top college programs.

The big hit came with student seating. For years you could usually pick up a student seat which made cash strapped students happy and football hungry fans happy......but most if not all schools started cracking down and now to sit in the student section, you have to show your student ID when entering on a student ticket....so much for hungry fans being able to get in to watch.

As impressive as Mount Union has been, there is indeed something much more impressive than Mt. Union's football run, and it is played at the very same level and in the very same state:

Kenyon College's men's Swimming program has won 30 consecutive NCAA Division III Championships (and counting) which, of course is the same division that Mt. Union plays. THAT streak is in fact the greatest dynasty streak in American sports...of any sport at any level.

But, to return to the question: Ohio State simply has the greater prestige football program than Ohio U. It has more money, a much larger following, a much greater winning tradition, it can recruit better athletes, it can put over 100,000 in a stadium where OU can only probably put 10,000 if that in a stadium, etc. etc. etc. Someone put it right, it is a major league program compared to OU's minor league program.

But, as a Brit, perhaps you should be aware that "your" style of football (futbol or soccer), it is another Ohio school that is #1 in the land: The University of Akron..

I think he was making a little joke based on Ohio U's "party school" reputation, not digging at OU's football atmosphere....kinda like saying that if you remember the 60s your really didn't live them...that sort of thing.

So, OU does have that going for it. Was it Forbes or something that did that rating?

And speaking of #1s and Ohio schools and Kenyon in particular, I think I pointed out before that Forbes Magazine name Kenyon College the most beautiful college campus in the world, with others like Princeton, Oxford, Trinity in Dublin Ireland, Stanford, Univ. of Bologna, Air Force and more trailing behind.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/31/beautiful...ture_slide.html

Archived