THE BROWNS BOARD

ROID MONKEY, WHERE YA GONNA GET YO WIFE

Riffer X

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08072/864335-66.stm

NFL finds domestic violence difficult to gauge

Dropped charges, few NFL penalties

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James Harrison is one of a number of NFL players who have been involved in domestic violence incidents in the past several years, though it appears that few have received penalties from the league because charges have been dismissed in many of the cases.

Harrison, a Pro Bowl linebacker with the Steelers, was arrested and charged with simple assault and criminal mischief Saturday after he allegedly assaulted his girlfriend, Beth Tibbott, at her Ohio Township residence. His preliminary hearing has been rescheduled for April 3.

An NFL spokesman said yesterday the league does not provide the number of domestic violence cases against players, partly because many of the cases are "ultimately dismissed."

A most recent example occurred yesterday when a woman who had a restraining order in a domestic-violence case against New England Patriots receiver Randy Moss had the charges dropped.

Last year, former Cleveland Browns running back Reuben Droughns had domestic violence charges against him dropped when prosecutors cited a lack of evidence.

The Steelers saw a similar situation two years ago when receiver Santonio Holmes, their No. 1 draft pick at the time, had charges of domestic violence and assault against him dropped by a municipal court judge in Columbus, Ohio.

Still, there have been cases where players have been punished by the league for incidents involving domestic violence.

The most serious case occurred in 2004 when Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Michel Pittman was suspended for three games by the NFL after an incident in which he was charged with ramming his Hummer into a car driven by his wife and carrying his 2-year-old child and baby sitter.

Since then, seven players have received one-game suspensions by the league for domestic violence, according to various news reports.

According to a police affidavit, Harrison broke down a bedroom door while his girlfriend was trying to call 911, took her cell phone and broke it in half. Tibbott also said Harrison, who is 5 feet 11, 245 pounds, hit her with an open hand in the face, knocking off her glasses.

Harrison was working out at the Steelers South Side facility yesterday but was unavailable for comment.

Under Pennsylvania law, simple assault is considered a Class 2 misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison. Criminal mischief can be considered a felony in the third degree with a maximum prison term of seven years if the damage caused in the incident is in excess of $5,000.

According to a league spokesman, each of the NFL's 32 teams conducts a life-skills session each fall.

Last year, commissioner Roger Goodell instituted a Conduct Management Program for all incoming rookies, requiring them to attend eight one-hour sessions that incorporate video, lectures and discussions designed to teach players how to cope with life in the NFL. The sessions are run by an outside instructor approved by the league and coordinated with each team's player-development director.

Harrison was in his first year as a starter with the Steelers after rising from obscurity as a free agent from Kent State University who was cut three times in his career, twice by the Steelers.

Last fall, Harrison acknowledged that his road to the NFL was not always smooth, in part because of indiscretions as a teenager growing up in Akron, Ohio.

Harrison attended three high schools in Akron. He said he had scholarship offers to Nebraska and Notre Dame rebuffed because he "messed some things up" his senior year at Coventry High School. One of those incidents involved being suspended for two games because he shot a BB gun in the locker room and got off with a fine, avoiding a sentence of six months in prison for felonious assault.

Coventry principal John Hibian, who was the school's athletic director when Harrison played there, said his former student did "stupid little things" that caused Hibian to think Harrison might jeopardize his future in football.

But, after seeing Harrison develop in the NFL and the way he handles himself when he returns to Coventry, Hibian said he saw a change in the Steelers linebacker.

"There is a different air about him when he comes back now," Hibian said. "Ultimately, he has become a mature young man."

Gerry Dulac can be reached at gdulac@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1466.

First published on March 12, 2008 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08072/86433...m#ixzz139ADqXgJ

According to a police affidavit, Harrison broke down a bedroom door while his girlfriend was trying to call 911, took her cell phone and broke it in half. Tibbott also said Harrison, who is 5 feet 11, 245 pounds, hit her with an open hand in the face, knocking off her glasses.

Seems going for the head is his modus operandi . Won't amount to anything probably . Just call it that ole piss and black magic

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/r/21939345/detail.html

James Harrison's Mother Charged In Brawl

Several People Injured In Steelers-Browns Watch Party Melee

POSTED: 3:28 pm EST December 11, 2009

UPDATED: 12:00 am EST December 12, 2009

Link

AKRON, Ohio -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison's mother is one of three people facing charges after a brawl broke out during a watch party for the Steelers' game against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night, according to a report by WTAE Channel 4's news exchange partners at the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

It is unclear what or who initiated the violence inside a VFW hall at about 10 p.m., as the heavy underdog Browns were on their way to upsetting the favored Steelers.

[James Harrison]

James Harrison

Harrison's mother, Mildred, was at the VFW hall at the corner of Copley and Hawkins roads, where Akron police said a large group was gathered to watch Thursday's game.

"People were coming out side doors, back doors, front doors. Our officers entered into the bar area, they observed tables tipped over, broken beer bottles, wine bottles -- food all over the place," said Akron Police Lt. Rick Edwards.

Mildred Harrison, 62, was cited for misdemeanor assault and released by Akron police after the fight. She is due in court on Dec. 17.

Also charged were Shovonne Johnson-Roper, 39, of Akron, and another person, both with felonious assault.

Police say it was a large-scale fight in which people were struck with fists and beer bottles inside a VFW hall in Akron.

Four people were taken to a hospital for treatment.

James Harrison was born in Akron and played football at nearby Coventry High School and later at Kent State University.

I hate to see this because he repps Kent State but at the same time he is a Steeler so he already ruined his name in my mind.

Please you and everyone else on this message board would take James Harrison in a New York minute. Why don't you read the article I posted where one of Cleveland's very own defends Harrison. Oh and it just so happens to be a player he concussed. Imagine that..... *durrrrr de durrrr durrr* :wacko:

Please you and everyone else on this message board would take James Harrison in a New York minute. Why don't you read the article I posted where one of Cleveland's very own defends Harrison. Oh and it just so happens to be a player he concussed. Imagine that..... *durrrrr de durrrr durrr* :wacko:

I really would care less for him as a player. We have a great LB core in my opinion.

I really would care less for him as a player. We have a great LB core in my opinion.

Don't know about a great LB core, but I wouldn't hire Harrison to clean up the restrooms after a Browns game.

You seriously dug this back up? lol What a f*u*cking moron.

Snapper acting all tough, kinda like your Roid Monk hero.

This is how hard it was to find, Google is your friend.

I typed in 'James Harrison Domestic Violence' and 'James Harrison's mom'.

Then I did this silly little thing called copying and pasting. It must have took me at least three minutes to post all this stuff. Oh, and I bolded the good stuff so you Steeler gals wouldn't conveniently skim the article and miss that part. Bold means darker and thicker in type sense.

I felt a need to remind those out there who seem to forget what a dumbass good ole Roid Monk is. I have heard a lot of people crowning this guy as a saint while doing it, and the worst was what this Dbag at the bar had to say to me. Of course, he was as diehard as they get but had no recollection of any of this stuff happening with Harrison and basically said I was a liar. Beings that he encompasses Steeler Nation in the dumbass department, I felt if he didn't know others might not either. Therefore, you can thank me for enlightening you Steeler dumbxxxxs once again.

I like to share, I'm a giver sort.

James Harrison's Pit Bull Attacks His Infant Son

by Adam Jacobi • May 23, 2009 5:40 PM EDT

"Bad" doesn't even begin to describe reigning Super Bowl MVP James Harrison's week. A "bad week" is where you get a speeding ticket, your TV goes on the fritz, and you have to ground your son because he poured Kool-Aid on the TV.

No, Harrison's got it a whole lot worse than bad. He initially made waves by refusing to join his team at the White House to celebrate their Super Bowl, then by trying to cover for it by concocting a fantastically ludicrous excuse that Obama wasn't down for the Steelers enough, then had to own up to the fact that it was due to a powerful phobia of flying (and as you know, young, aggressive men are always so eager to openly discuss their deepest fears).

Then there's this, a frightening scene at Harrison's home where his pit bull attacked his 2-year-old son, James Harrison III. The infant is doing about as okay as you could hope, considering it was bitten by a breed of canine that might as well be called MURDERDOG--yes, in all caps.

Dis is fun.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/james-h...whitlock-102210

Let’s not make James Harrison the bad guy, the face of what’s wrong with football.

Harrison is 6 feet tall, 240 pounds, small by NFL standards. He’s one of 14 children, born to working-class parents. He walked on at Kent State. No NFL team drafted him. Combined, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens cut him four times. He toiled for several seasons as a special-teams daredevil. Harrison struggled academically in high school and college. He’s not a sophisticate.

James Harrison is a football player, a meathead, a self-made millionaire and star solely because he embraced every aspect of the NFL’s violent culture.

He’s not Randy Moss or Peyton Manning, players who excel at the game primarily because they were blessed with physical gifts that made their dominance virtually inevitable.

Harrison earned the 2008 defensive player of the year award and a $50 million contract because he hurt opposing players. For as long as I can remember, hurting — not injuring — the opposition has always been embraced and celebrated in football.

Coaches implore players to knock a man’s (private part) in the dirt. Billionaires hand out $50 million contracts to players skilled at the art form.

James Harrison is the bad guy? The league fined him $75,000 for doing what he was asked to do by Mike Tomlin and the Rooney family. Harrison is the focus of the NFL’s helmet-to-helmet controversy?

This is a joke.

I don’t blame Harrison for taking a day to contemplate the meaning of his life, to rethink his career, to ponder retirement. With its out-of-nowhere fines and threats of suspensions, the NFL has attacked Harrison’s identity.

If TV networks banned jokes about the president, Letterman, Leno and Kimmel might quit in protest. If FOXSports.com forbid stitching clown suits for hypocrites or championing Jeff George’s return to the NFL, I’d need a day or two to figure out the purpose of my life.

It’s not hard to understand James Harrison. He came from humble beginnings. He created wealth and financial stability for himself and his family by making the conscious decision to sacrifice his physical well-being as a football gladiator. He takes the same pride in his sacrifice as a coal-mining father of five would.

The emotional and passionate defenses we’ve heard this week of football’s violent culture from former players such as Matt Millen and Mark Schlereth are a defense of their sacrifice. The players are not all as stupid as you think. They know the hazards of playing the game. They justify taking the risk by focusing on the benefits it creates for their families.

We spend so much time lambasting athletes for blowing their money on cars, jewelry, baby-mamas and stupid business deals that we overlook that many of these guys “blow” a significant portion of their cash bailing out family and friends.

I don’t know James Harrison personally. What I do know is he’s from a big family. Small families have big problems. Big families have numerous big problems. I suspect a lot of people rely on Harrison from time to time.

In regards to the NFL’s crackdown on violent hits, Harrison is more worthy of sympathy than ridicule and derision.

That is not a defense of helmet-to-helmet contact. It’s not an attack on Roger Goodell for trying to improve the safety of his league. I’m in full support of what the league is attempting to accomplish.

I’m against singling out the players. They inherited football’s violent culture. They’re not the only ones who profit from it, but they suffer the severe health (and now financial) consequences. It’s not right.

You think Jerry Jones isn’t making a fortune from this gladiator sport? How about Bill Parcells? Or Bill Belichick? Or even the million-dollar offensive and defensive coordinators? Or the $300,000-a-year position coaches?

You can own a team, work in the front office and coach for 20 or 30 or even 40 years. A player is lucky to last three seasons.

The owners, executives and coaches are the architects and maintainers of the NFL’s unrepentant and highly marketable headhunting. If James Harrison is going to be demonized, fined and suspended, then why shouldn’t Tomlin and the Rooneys $uffer, too?

If the goal is to clean up the sport, then let’s attack the root causes, let’s put all the beneficiaries in the same boat.

During the Titans-Jaguars game Monday night, Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski gushed during and after ESPN aired a highlight package of Tennessee defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil delivering a series of helmet-first hits from his playing days. The Titans have been accused of being the dirtiest team in football. Cecil and head coach Jeff Fisher are both former helmet-to-helmet safeties. But they’re not part of the problem.

James Harrison is the sole problem.

Athletes complain that we, the media, don’t understand them. They’re right. Sometimes we don’t even try. We get comfortable in our middle-agedness and jealousy of their wealth and blast away.

As we explore and come to grips with what's wrong with football, please remember we all played a role in glorifying and rewarding the reckless violence.

i'm not going to knock his football ability, but there's hiding the fact that harrison is and always has been a thug type dude. It seems he was probably raised that way but it doesn't excuse it. Any Steeler fan who doesn't accept that is living with blinders. Braylon Edwards was the same damn way before we booted his ass. I mean it's acceptable as a fan if he's winning games sure, but the reality is still there.

I'd take Fujita any day of the week over Harrison.

You can't fake class, and Harrison can't hide the roid rage.

LOL!

If they take roids then I f u c k ing love it! Whatever it takes to keep our foot planted on the side of your head which is in the mud. Maybe your Brownies should take some roids - you sure as hell need them! :lol:

i'm not going to knock his football ability, but there's hiding the fact that harrison is and always has been a thug type dude. It seems he was probably raised that way but it doesn't excuse it. Any Steeler fan who doesn't accept that is living with blinders. Braylon Edwards was the same damn way before we booted his ass. I mean it's acceptable as a fan if he's winning games sure, but the reality is still there.

Accept it? I embrace it! He is just one in a long line of thug linebackers who have been kicking the living S.H.I.T out of you for years!

Dis is fun.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/james-h...whitlock-102210

Let’s not make James Harrison the bad guy, the face of what’s wrong with football.

Harrison is 6 feet tall, 240 pounds, small by NFL standards. He’s one of 14 children, born to working-class parents. He walked on at Kent State. No NFL team drafted him. Combined, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens cut him four times. He toiled for several seasons as a special-teams daredevil. Harrison struggled academically in high school and college. He’s not a sophisticate.

James Harrison is a football player, a meathead, a self-made millionaire and star solely because he embraced every aspect of the NFL’s violent culture.

He’s not Randy Moss or Peyton Manning, players who excel at the game primarily because they were blessed with physical gifts that made their dominance virtually inevitable.

Harrison earned the 2008 defensive player of the year award and a $50 million contract because he hurt opposing players. For as long as I can remember, hurting — not injuring — the opposition has always been embraced and celebrated in football.

Coaches implore players to knock a man’s (private part) in the dirt. Billionaires hand out $50 million contracts to players skilled at the art form.

James Harrison is the bad guy? The league fined him $75,000 for doing what he was asked to do by Mike Tomlin and the Rooney family. Harrison is the focus of the NFL’s helmet-to-helmet controversy?

This is a joke.

I don’t blame Harrison for taking a day to contemplate the meaning of his life, to rethink his career, to ponder retirement. With its out-of-nowhere fines and threats of suspensions, the NFL has attacked Harrison’s identity.

If TV networks banned jokes about the president, Letterman, Leno and Kimmel might quit in protest. If FOXSports.com forbid stitching clown suits for hypocrites or championing Jeff George’s return to the NFL, I’d need a day or two to figure out the purpose of my life.

It’s not hard to understand James Harrison. He came from humble beginnings. He created wealth and financial stability for himself and his family by making the conscious decision to sacrifice his physical well-being as a football gladiator. He takes the same pride in his sacrifice as a coal-mining father of five would.

The emotional and passionate defenses we’ve heard this week of football’s violent culture from former players such as Matt Millen and Mark Schlereth are a defense of their sacrifice. The players are not all as stupid as you think. They know the hazards of playing the game. They justify taking the risk by focusing on the benefits it creates for their families.

We spend so much time lambasting athletes for blowing their money on cars, jewelry, baby-mamas and stupid business deals that we overlook that many of these guys “blow” a significant portion of their cash bailing out family and friends.

I don’t know James Harrison personally. What I do know is he’s from a big family. Small families have big problems. Big families have numerous big problems. I suspect a lot of people rely on Harrison from time to time.

In regards to the NFL’s crackdown on violent hits, Harrison is more worthy of sympathy than ridicule and derision.

That is not a defense of helmet-to-helmet contact. It’s not an attack on Roger Goodell for trying to improve the safety of his league. I’m in full support of what the league is attempting to accomplish.

I’m against singling out the players. They inherited football’s violent culture. They’re not the only ones who profit from it, but they suffer the severe health (and now financial) consequences. It’s not right.

You think Jerry Jones isn’t making a fortune from this gladiator sport? How about Bill Parcells? Or Bill Belichick? Or even the million-dollar offensive and defensive coordinators? Or the $300,000-a-year position coaches?

You can own a team, work in the front office and coach for 20 or 30 or even 40 years. A player is lucky to last three seasons.

The owners, executives and coaches are the architects and maintainers of the NFL’s unrepentant and highly marketable headhunting. If James Harrison is going to be demonized, fined and suspended, then why shouldn’t Tomlin and the Rooneys $uffer, too?

If the goal is to clean up the sport, then let’s attack the root causes, let’s put all the beneficiaries in the same boat.

During the Titans-Jaguars game Monday night, Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski gushed during and after ESPN aired a highlight package of Tennessee defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil delivering a series of helmet-first hits from his playing days. The Titans have been accused of being the dirtiest team in football. Cecil and head coach Jeff Fisher are both former helmet-to-helmet safeties. But they’re not part of the problem.

James Harrison is the sole problem.

Athletes complain that we, the media, don’t understand them. They’re right. Sometimes we don’t even try. We get comfortable in our middle-agedness and jealousy of their wealth and blast away.

As we explore and come to grips with what's wrong with football, please remember we all played a role in glorifying and rewarding the reckless violence.

You refuse to get raped by Big Bad Ben? Dude - the assault started when you dumb a.s.s.holes didnt pick him from your own backyard. Since then, he has been gaping your a.s.s.holes with touchdown passes, scrambles, passer ratings, trophies.....how much more can your a.s.s take? :lol:

You left out the part about them being former college teammates and I'm guessing friends outside of the game.

Why are we still talking about Harrison?

You left out the part about them being former college teammates and I'm guessing friends outside of the game.

Why are we still talking about Harrison?

Exactly. Why the hell would Harrison try to hurt a former teammate and good friend? Some people on here just like to whine.

This board will be talking about Harrison and his hit's for the next 3 monthes.

You refuse to get raped by Big Bad Ben? Dude - the assault started when you dumb a.s.s.holes didnt pick him from your own backyard. Since then, he has been gaping your a.s.s.holes with touchdown passes, scrambles, passer ratings, trophies.....how much more can your a.s.s take? :lol:

Does Winslow even start for Tampa Bay? :lol:

Exactly. Why the hell would Harrison try to hurt a former teammate and good friend? Some people on here just like to whine.

This board will be talking about Harrison and his hit's for the next 3 monthes.

You are the one who is on another teams board crying about our conversation so I wouldn't talk much. Over the next 3 months you will still be here crying into your yellow towel over us and what we decide to talk about.

You are the one who is on another teams board crying about our conversation so I wouldn't talk much. Over the next 3 months you will still be here crying into your yellow towel over us and what we decide to talk about.

In 3 monthes the Steelers will be in the playoffs. This board will yet again take whining to a new level.

Archived