THE BROWNS BOARD

Troy Smith to start in London

Thaak

The British should revolt after this matchup we sent them...

Zombo

Yeah, but what can you do? The NFL thought, based on last year, and drafts and free agency, that these two teams would be in the hunt for division wins and possibly a playoff win or two.

Now they are both sucky.

Ginn is the 5th option - at best - on the 49ers.

Davis, Crabtree, Gore, and Morgan are far superior to Ginn as a receiver.

I hope Ginn makes the team as a return man / punt gunner / WR3.

I bet he gets on the field in the slot a few times and sees a long ball thrown his way at least once.

I didn't know Smith moved from the Ravens lol . I hope he does well and I also believe he will hook up with Ginn . They both compliment each other . I think any coach or OC would at least explore the possibility .

I think he was cut by the Ravens at the end of Training Camp and was subsequently picked up by the 49ers.

Zombo

LOL, most fans in the UK are just grateful for the chance to see quality football over here! (ok I know As Dean and Denver are poor but....) I officiate games in the UK and the standard is woeful. Most High school teams would beat our best Adult teams. The game is enjoying a resurgence in the UK, in the 80's it was all the rage, I saw Cleveland play Philadelphia at wembley in 89 and was lucky enough to see Sean Payton QB for the Leicester Panthers, during the 90's and early 00's I lost interest in the sport, but regained it partly through the Wembley games. I am coming over to Cleveland for the Steelers game and will see the Browns for only the second time, first in their natural environment, which I am so excited about. However generally these London games are my only contact with pro football, something I am very grateful of and appreciate the sacrifice made by the teams and fans to come to London and give us Brits our yearly football fix. Long may it continue, even if it is the sh*tty 49ers and bloody Broncos! :)

Maybe someday Troy Smith will get a chance he can play as opposed to adulated failure Quinn who never coiuld..............not to mention loser Couch whiom some still here are making excuses for

I am not an Ohio State fan nor have I ever been much of a Troy Smith fan but I am really glad this kid is getting his shot. I mean when you have Alex Smith and David Carr on the roster....what the hell's a boy po' to do? It may be the only move Singletary has left. He's getting roasted in the media daily. Good luck Troy...let 'er rip!

LOL, most fans in the UK are just grateful for the chance to see quality football over here! (ok I know As Dean and Denver are poor but....) I officiate games in the UK and the standard is woeful. Most High school teams would beat our best Adult teams. The game is enjoying a resurgence in the UK, in the 80's it was all the rage, I saw Cleveland play Philadelphia at wembley in 89 and was lucky enough to see Sean Payton QB for the Leicester Panthers, during the 90's and early 00's I lost interest in the sport, but regained it partly through the Wembley games. I am coming over to Cleveland for the Steelers game and will see the Browns for only the second time, first in their natural environment, which I am so excited about. However generally these London games are my only contact with pro football, something I am very grateful of and appreciate the sacrifice made by the teams and fans to come to London and give us Brits our yearly football fix. Long may it continue, even if it is the sh*tty 49ers and bloody Broncos! :)

Maybe someday we will start seeing some expansion teams based in other countries!

Zombo

I wonder sometimes if the Brits fully understand the game. I'm sure soccer and rugby is more their cup of tea. (pardon the pun). Do they watch and say... "I say Ol chap was that what they call a TD" or "Look that man is taking it to the bloody house, cheerio for him".

I'll be there too, for the Steelers game. Making the annual pilgrimmage from Cuba this year, can't wait.

Dress Warm it can be brutually cold on the lakefront. I may have some tickets if you need them.

I wonder sometimes if the Brits fully understand the game. I'm sure soccer and rugby is more their cup of tea. (pardon the pun). Do they watch and say... "I say Ol chap was that what they call a TD" or "Look that man is taking it to the bloody house, cheerio for him".

Naw they say stuff like the ones in the red (unis.....team on offense) are the attackers and the ones in blue (unis-D) are the defenders...........

and then they drink some beer

That is exactly what they say. But so what. I guess they can express themselves any way they please, you wanker.

I love seeing the devotion the Browns get from our fans in the UK. We've got three of our UK members coming in for the Jets game, make sure you stop by the tailgate for the Steelers game and meet the gang!

Zombo

Nothing like stealing this from Mike and Mike.....

Zombo

Nothing like stealing this from Mike and Mike.....

Nah, I didn't steal it from anybody, I was just thinking that Kyle Orton v. Troy Smith was not quite Elway v. Montana.

Zombo

Yeah, but what can you do? The NFL thought, based on last year, and drafts and free agency, that these two teams would be in the hunt for division wins and possibly a playoff win or two.

Now they are both sucky.

[/quo

Hi

I live in the UK , and the build up to this game is unbelievable!!! ( same as previous years ) irrespective of the form of both teams

There is an NFL 'party' in Trafalgar square London 24 hrs before the game, i think Elway and Jerry Rice are guests .

I dont think it matters about what kind of form the two teams are in , interest here is at fever pitch!!!

It could be worse. The NFL could have sent the British the BEST UNDERACHIVER BOWL with Dallas at San Diego. That way they would get to see a mix of great plays combined with complete idiotic coaching decisions, players literally giving the ball away, and penalities at the most inappropriate times.

I actually think Troy Smith is gonna help the niners as long as he takes care of the ball and just gets the ball into the hand of there playmakers which they have a decent team...I watched the two games he started for baltimore and he didnt look half bad i think he could be a decent pro

Now they are both sucky.

Hi

I live in the UK , and the build up to this game is unbelievable!!! ( same as previous years ) irrespective of the form of both teams

There is an NFL 'party' in Trafalgar square London 24 hrs before the game, i think Elway and Jerry Rice are guests .

I dont think it matters about what kind of form the two teams are in , interest here is at fever pitch!!!

OK, but how many people on this board do you think know what "Trafalgar" is or what its significance was all about?

Now they are both sucky.

Hi

OK, but how many people on this board do you think know what "Trafalgar" is or what its significance was all about?

Well thats a good point , not many i suppose ha ha, i was really only pointing out the location of the "party" , not its significance as one of the most glorious chapters

of English naval history !!!

I love seeing the devotion the Browns get from our fans in the UK. We've got three of our UK members coming in for the Jets game, make sure you stop by the tailgate for the Steelers game and meet the gang!

Zombo

Thanks Zomba, I will definitely be looking to meet up pre game with the guys on here. I'm travelling over on my own so it'd be great to meet some friendly Brownies!

That's uncanny! How did you know? Were you sat next to me last year in London! :P

We have sorta been there, done that with NFL Europe which folded.

We the USA have grave bigger problems than expanding the NFL overseas.............I would say keeping the NFL a USA endeavor is in endanger way more than expanding overseas...........

but we are an arrogant nation.................and no clue how profound that arrogance is

I am glad Troy Smith is getting a shot at starting QB somewhere. He was going to be the Ravens starter when Kyle Boller went on IR in the pre-season of 2008, but then had some tonsilitis problem that kept him sidelined for a few weeks. That is when Joe Flacco started playing QB for the Ravens, and when Troy was cleared to play Flacco was already clearly entrenched as the Ravens starting QB. Troy Smith did play a few Suggs package plays (the Ravens equivalent of the WildDawg due to Terrell Suggs letting the cat out of the bag about a certain play the Ravens practiced then used in a game) and did have a little success. I wouldn't be surprised if Troy was the Ravens starting QB now if he didn't get that tonsil infection in 2008.

Basically he was a really good college QB, like I have to tell you Ohio State fans as proven by the Heisman trophy he won, and a decent back up when he did get his few chances to play with the Ravens. Now he just needs to hold on to this oppertunity he has currently, even if it is for the hapless 49ers.

Archived