THE BROWNS BOARD

Seneca Wallace Wants "One Browns QB".

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ce_mainbar.html

BEREA, Ohio -- The boot came off his injured right ankle. Now it appears that Seneca Wallace is taking the gloves off, as well.

As the Browns reach their bye weekend with questions about the future of their quarterback position, Wallace stated his case Wednesday to be the starter when the team returns to prepare for the New England Patriots.

Wallace isn't demanding anything. But he feels he made a strong statement for keeping the job before he suffered a high ankle sprain in the first half of the Atlanta game.

"Yeah, I feel that way," Wallace said. "At the end of the day, it comes down to the coaches. Whoever's doing the job the best, moving the team, scoring points, making the right decisions, then that should be the guy."

Wallace said the offense started coming around in his last two starts against Cincinnati and Atlanta.

"That was probably the best I've felt," Wallace said. "It's a learning experience each game I step out there. We're all still trying to figure it out. The Cincinnati and Atlanta games, things started feeling a lot smoother. Things started clicking. The offensive coordinator was calling good plays at the right time, and we had it going. Unfortunately I came down with an injury."

The Browns were 1-3 in Wallace's four starts. His 88.5 passer rating and 4-to-2 touchdown-to-interception ratio are the best of the team's quarterbacks.

Jake Delhomme, still not fully recovered from his own high ankle sprain, hobbled through the remainder of the Atlanta game in relief of Wallace and aggravated his injury. Those occurrences opened the door for rookie Colt McCoy, who now has made his own case for keeping the job in fairly impressive road performances in Pittsburgh and New Orleans.

Coach Eric Mangini said he would pick his starting quarterback based on who he believes gives the team the best chance against the upcoming opponent.

Wallace said he "threw away" the protective boot he wore for two weeks and should be ready to practice Wednesday when preparations for the New England game intensify. He believes the team will only suffer if it continues to play musical quarterbacks.

"It comes down to Coach's decision," he said. "I can't stand here and say this guy's gonna be the starter. I don't know. This whole thing, the last couple years around here, it seems like it's been quarterback by committee, so who knows? We have to get a guy in there who runs the offense the best and continue to score points, and we'll win the games."

That's what Wallace was used to in Seattle, where he served as Matt Hasselbeck's backup on the team formerly coached by Browns President Mike Holmgren.

"This isn't college," Wallace said. "We don't switch quarterbacks in and out. I think when it comes down to rhythm and gelling together, when you have a quarterback in for one week and then the next week it's somebody else, that's not a good situation. You want a guy that's gonna be in there, be able to move the team and continue to do that week to week."

This topic will intensify when the Browns return from their bye. By then, we will know more about the status of Delhomme, who said after the New Orleans game that he doesn't want to return until his ankle "is right."

An interested observer of this situation is left tackle Joe Thomas, an offensive co-captain with Delhomme. He believes that Delhomme will return to the starting spot when healthy.

"All three have made a real good case for himself," Thomas said. "It's a lot better than the situation we were in last year when we couldn't find one who could play. This year it's like we have three guys who can play. So I don't think we can go wrong."

Thomas has never missed a snap in his 53 games as the Browns' left tackle. In that time he has blocked for eight starting quarterbacks.

"It'll be nice to, hopefully, some day have a starter for a long time," he said. "I think we're getting closer [to that]."

Montario sighting: Rookie running back Montario Hardesty reported his surgery on his right ACL was done five weeks ago by noted sports surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

Hardesty said his early rehab is coming along "really good." He said he'll revisit Andrews in a couple of weeks to get a better idea of the timetable for his return. He expects to be fully ready for the 2011 training camp.

Take a bow: Linebacker David Bowens was named AFC defensive player of the week for his two interception returns for touchdowns in the New Orleans game. It is the first such award of Bowens' career, coming in his 159th career game.

"It's a tremendous honor to get something like that, and to share it with this group of guys makes it even more special," said Bowens, 33.

Running back carousel: Most people feel that Peyton Hillis' hard-running style demands a capable backup to give him some reps off during games. When that time comes, will it be Mike Bell or the newest running back to jump on board, Thomas Clayton?

In two games since arriving via a trade with the Eagles, Bell has seven carries for a net of zero yards. His longest run is five yards. Before the Browns made the trade with Philadelphia, which sent Jerome Harrison packing, Clayton was on the Browns' practice squad getting reps with the first-team offense at practice.

The Patriots signed Clayton away and then waived him last weekend, with the intention of re-signing him this week. But when the Browns offered Clayton a contract, he took it.

"There's just a certain level of comfort that I feel here prior to leaving, and I was welcomed back," Clayton said. "The relationships here ... not to mention the playbook is something I'm real familiar with. It's pretty much identical to what I played with in San Francisco, believe it or not."

Clayton suffered an ACL tear in the 49ers' 2009 preseason and spent that year on injured reserve.

He said of his style, "I do a little bit of everything. I like to rely on my vision, my patience, my speed. I have good-enough size to run between the tackles and get those short, hard yards, too."

I don't mean to ruffle feathers, but having only recently started following the Browns, I find that certain beat writers tend to look for stories that create controversy needlessly. They ask questions that beg the kind of responses that can create juicy conflict. None of what Wallace is saying sounds controversial on it's own; these guys are professionals, and they're going to fight for playing time by doing their best, not by bellyaching to reporters.. which is how the article kind of makes it seem.

We all want one QB, thats why we have coaches to make that decision, however Im sure MH will have a tad bit of pull in that decision. I do think Seneca should start the next game against the Pats and maybe the Jets. He was playing pretty good while he was in, if he tanks against the next 2 teams then you will probably see Colt the rest of the way. I like what Mccoy brings to the table and i'm sure we will see him again this year. As for Jake, we all knew from the begining that he would be hit or miss, but not hit or miss cuz of injuries. Its week 8 and he pretty much hasn't played with our ones for awhile, so ya he is going to be an expensive back up.

Wallace needs to start. I'm telling you. Colt has played two games and people are praising him. I know he didn't lose games for us, but I know he didn't exactly win games for us.

There is no need to throw Colt in the mix of things in the middle of the season. Let's take time to develop this QB and not rush things. We don't need another quarterback controversy.

Then again, I'm just a fan and probably don't know what the hell I am talking about.

Wallace needs to start. I'm telling you. Colt has played two games and people are praising him. I know he didn't lose games for us, but I know he didn't exactly win games for us.

There is no need to throw Colt in the mix of things in the middle of the season. Let's take time to develop this QB and not rush things. We don't need another quarterback controversy.

Then again, I'm just a fan and probably don't know what the hell I am talking about.

It has already started. It's just not that noisy, yet.

Seems that we just cannot escape this burden.

It's nice to see the rest of the team is coming along, though.

I really like Seneca, he's a decent QB, something we haven't had. But the guy is not very accurate. Look at his sideline throws, they sail out of bounds. Seneca is a great back up QB.

Benching Colt now will only hinder his progress. Why are you going to stick him on the bench when he's proving that he can play at this level? Is it better for him to sit and watch? He can do that in the film room! Let him get his OJT and he'll be much better learning while playing and still watching film than just watching film only.

Colt is more accurate, has the arm strength, smarter, and can scramble just as well as Wallace. I want one good reason why he shouldn't be the starter.

I really like Seneca, he's a decent QB, something we haven't had. But the guy is not very accurate. Look at his sideline throws, they sail out of bounds. Seneca is a great back up QB.

Benching Colt now will only hinder his progress. Why are you going to stick him on the bench when he's proving that he can play at this level? Is it better for him to sit and watch? He can do that in the film room! Let him get his OJT and he'll be much better learning while playing and still watching film than just watching film.

Colt is more accurate, has the arm strength, smarter, and can scramble just as well as Wallace. I want one good reason why he shouldn't be the starter.

I hope they Keep Colt in as starter. He started against the Steelers and the Saints and did damn good. He improved each quarter of the game as his confidence grew. If he is to be our future, we need to find out by starting him. Sitting on the bench watching Seneca (career back-up) and Delhomme (on his last legs) will accomplish nothing for him or the team. Delhomme can still be on the sidelines giving veteran advice, etc.

Non-story it is...

Ask any QB of any team who should start this sunday and they will all of course say "ME" the fact is colt looked pretty good to me, he did his job with great poise for a rook and did as he was asked and managed the game, but i thinks we all know mangini will most likely start jake or seneca if they are healthy not only to avert a QB controversy but also because both have more experience and this regime isnt ready to pack it in and call the rest of the season colts on the job training just yet, but i wouldnt be surprised if we see colt start again at some point this season...

Hopefully demetrius williams will have some impact for our passing game regardless of who starts...

The only person I don't want starting is Delhomme... He needs to be cut at the end of the season, or even now! Either Seneca or Colt is fine with me. Both make good cases to start. I'd say start Seneca to see if they can get on a winning streak and maybe get back into the race.. if this does not happen, put Colt in for the rest of the season. Wallace at this point I'd say gives us the best chance to win... He did show a lot of improvement week to week...

I'm OK with Wallace or McCoy, let's just not make it a revolving door. Let one guy be the leader for the rest of the season and don't pull him if he struggles in one game.

I like Jake, but I think he should fade into the veteran backup/mentor role at this point in his career.

That said ... he's getting paid the most ... so don't have a stroke if the Browns go back to him when he is healthy. Personally, Wallace or McCoy just makes much more sense.

Zombo

I'm OK with Wallace or McCoy, let's just not make it a revolving door. Let one guy be the leader for the rest of the season and don't pull him if he struggles in one game.

I like Jake, but I think he should fade into the veteran backup/mentor role at this point in his career.

That said ... he's getting paid the most ... so don't have a stroke if the Browns go back to him when he is healthy. Personally, Wallace or McCoy just makes much more sense.

Zombo

Starting Delhomme would be a HUGE set back for both Seneca and Colt.... It just really makes NO sense to start delhomme from here on forward. He was just a filler anyway.. cut delhomme after the season. he is not needed.

In my opinion, the remaining games in this year's schedule should serve one purpose so far as the QB position is concerned. That is, "do we have a QB who can lead the team in the future or do we still need to find that QB in the draft or via trades?". With that said, Wallace doesn't seem to be THE starting QB of the future for the Browns or anyone else. He is a decent backup and that will likely be his role on any team in the future. Delhomme is near the end of his career, not the beginning so he doesn't fit the need. McCoy has yet to prove himself. There is a lot of season left. I say give McCoy the starts until he either proves himself a success or a failure. What are you saving McCoy for if he doesn't have the skills to prove himself? Think of the experience he will get if he can lead the team for the rest of the year. If he is not the Browns QB of the future, proven by not playing well the rest of this year, then everyone will know it and a new QB must be found.

Long term, what do the Browns REALLY gain if Wallace starts the rest of the year? Is he going to take the team to the playoff's?

If you change the depth chart to put McCoy on top of it, you've got a big problem...

Eventually, he's going to play a bad game. It happens to Peyton Manning. It happened to Drew Brees last week. The Sam Bradfords and Andrew Lucks of the world get a pass when they lay an egg as a rookie. The franchise has already committed to them, so they get the benefit of the doubt.

Fans and media are by their nature fickle and possess horrible long term memory. Colt plays a bad game and he probably doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because of his draft position; one bad game and you'll hear a lot of "wow, this kid isn't the guy, we need Andrew Luck or Jake Locker." So you either bring Jake or Seneca back in (instant musical-chairs QB drama), or you let McCoy play through it in the face of a media that has quickly returned to their preseason impression. "Why are you playing McCoy? He's a project at best and isn't our long term answer anyways."

There's no justifiable reason to give him the start over a healthy Wallace unless you revise the depth chart. That would mean the organization would be committing to McCoy as the QB for the next couple of years -- or at least formally commit to evaluating him to be that guy.

I think this "controversy" will get resolved by Holmgren making a public statement, to be honest. Everyone sees a week-to-week mentality behind Mangini's decisions, whereas Holmgren will look at the "three year timeline."

If you change the depth chart to put McCoy on top of it, you've got a big problem...

Eventually, he's going to play a bad game. It happens to Peyton Manning. It happened to Drew Brees last week. The Sam Bradfords and Andrew Lucks of the world get a pass when they lay an egg as a rookie. The franchise has already committed to them, so they get the benefit of the doubt.

Fans and media are by their nature fickle and possess horrible long term memory. Colt plays a bad game and he probably doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because of his draft position; one bad game and you'll hear a lot of "wow, this kid isn't the guy, we need Andrew Luck or Jake Locker." So you either bring Jake or Seneca back in (instant musical-chairs QB drama), or you let McCoy play through it in the face of a media that has quickly returned to their preseason impression. "Why are you playing McCoy? He's a project at best and isn't our long term answer anyways."

There's no justifiable reason to give him the start over a healthy Wallace unless you revise the depth chart. That would mean the organization would be committing to McCoy as the QB for the next couple of years -- or at least formally commit to evaluating him to be that guy.

I think this "controversy" will get resolved by Holmgren making a public statement, to be honest. Everyone sees a week-to-week mentality behind Mangini's decisions, whereas Holmgren will look at the "three year timeline."

Your last sentence says it all. I seriously doubt Homgren's three year plan includes Seneca Wallace as the starting QB. The biggest hole to fill for the Browns is at wide receiver and I believe they will either draft a receiver with their first pick or select the best blue chipper they can find to trade for an existing NFL receiver.

Mangini has already been quoted as saying he was not going to choose a starter based on the future, but would choose whoever has the best chance of winning the next game. Not a good perspective for the head coach in my opinion when the boss, Holmgren, has already gone on record he would have to see Colt play in 4-5 more games to make a future decision.

Either Wallace or McCoy would be fine for this year, but I think they have to answer the future QB question this year now that they are where they are, or we're all wrong and they already have made up their mind to go with "none of the above" and find someone new next year. I doubt that though given their other needs.

As to the inevitable bad game, that will happen. The key is to not have 3 or 4 bad games in a row.

Here's the Browns depth chart from NFL.com. It needs to be updated. :)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/clevelandbrowns/depthchart?team=CLE

The way i look at it is this...this year is clearly over for us.....but there is hope im so sick of picking a new QB every year...go with colt let him run the offense trade away seneca for a WR colt needs to develop a relationship with our WR core.....the thing that i truly believe is that if we can fix this QB mess we can make a legit run at the playoffs next year...and colt needs to be that guy in my opinion i dont want to draft another QB. colt is hard working and doesnt take being in the NFL for granted, hes our guy

Just for S&G's. If we are able to get Andrew Luck, what do you do with Colt? It doesn't seem to me that he should be relegated to the backup position. I'd use him for trade bait. I hope they start Wallace. I just want to keep going up. I'd hate to see all this positive progression go for nothing.

The way i look at it is this...this year is clearly over for us.....but there is hope im so sick of picking a new QB every year...go with colt let him run the offense trade away seneca for a WR colt needs to develop a relationship with our WR core.....the thing that i truly believe is that if we can fix this QB mess we can make a legit run at the playoffs next year...and colt needs to be that guy in my opinion i dont want to draft another QB. colt is hard working and doesnt take being in the NFL for granted, hes our guy

You may be correct but what if, by some miracle of coaching and divine inspiration, the Browns beat the Pats and Jets at home? They'd be 4-5 with games against Buffalo, Carolina and Jacksonville to come in addition to home games against Baltimore and Pittsburgh and road games at Miami and Cincy. You could be looking at 8-8 (optimistically of course).

"All three have made a real good case for himself," Thomas said. "It's a lot better than the situation we were in last year when we couldn't find one who could play. This year it's like we have three guys who can play. So I don't think we can go wrong."

This statement by Joe Thomas is cool. They couldn't find a qb who could play last year...

and all three can play this year.

Jake ran the offense pretty slick in preseason. He just didn't have the games to really crank it up.

He isn't mobile, though. Seneca seems to fairly mobile, not as much as McCoy. But Wallace doesn't make the quick decisions

like McCoy and Delhomme. He's from a different system...

Whatever. It's up to the coaches, they are the ones who know what they're doing. From a veteran point of view, assuming Jake is still

out for another 3 weeks or more... I would start Seneca - who has the experience over the years to work with. But, if he starts faltering over a couple of games...

I'd go with McCoy the rest of the season. I think Colt is the leader of this offense next year if he's successful this year.

From a fan point of view, I'd go with Colt now.

Just for S&G's. If we are able to get Andrew Luck, what do you do with Colt? It doesn't seem to me that he should be relegated to the backup position. I'd use him for trade bait. I hope they start Wallace. I just want to keep going up. I'd hate to see all this positive progression go for nothing.

How do you trade a QB that you spent a year developing and then drafted Andrew Luck? How could you possibly get any value out of that? "He wasn't good enough for us Browns, but we promise he'll be good enough for you."

The question is "What is Seneca's reaction if Mangini doesn't choose him". I gotta believe that Holmgren will be involved and aren't the Browns players off for the next few days? Seneca needs to pipe down and not mess with the team chemistry..This is BS,,Tony Grossi will always be the pot stirrer..Tony Grossi..you are the virus.

McCoy has shown some flash these past two games. Let's have some patience and see what he does before we start talking about drafting another QB.

I don't want to talk the draft so soon but I think we should build around McCoy and see what he can do. I mean for having no real WR's he had a pretty good day against Pittsburgh. I'd like to see him play with some weapons instead of just a running game in Hillis.

I'd like to see him play a couple more games, if possible, as well.

Archived