THE BROWNS BOARD

Lockout in the NFL in 2011

longhorn

I hate to say it, but I feel pretty certain there will be a lockout orchestrated by the NFL owners in 2011. A lot of attention has gone to the extra games the owners want, but the largest issue, by far, is the $1 billion the owners are wanting back from the players to cover declining profits of many teams due to the poor economy. The players have asked the owners to open their books, but the owners have refused. The Green Bay Packers are the only publicly held franchise and their books show a definite downward trend in revenue. Their net revenue (profit) has declined from approximately $34 million four years ago to under $10 million last year. That $10 million in profit dropped FIFTY PERCENT from the previous year. On the American economicc front, 2011 is likely to be a harder year on many citizens than 2010 so the plunge in revenue is likely to continue. I predict the players will have to give some of the 60% off the top they currently receive and the owners will generally prevail this time.

Another factor is the the NFL hired Bob Batterman, the lawyer who was instrumental in the NHL lockout and are following his gameplan for renegotiating the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement. Just like the NHL, the NFL has created a website to track this owner/labor mess at www.NFLLabor.com.

If there is a lockout, don't expect to see a lot of coaching changes until it is over. Also, look for impacts on the draft and player contracts because the owners will try to get as lean as they can in costs before 2011 arrives. Supposedly the NFL also negotiated clauses in their TV contract which guaranteed $4 billion in revenue in 2011 even if no games are played. While they'd have to pay this back, it gives them significant money to help wait the players out. The betting is that the players will run out of money before the owners.

Orchestrated by the owners? Nope, it's 50-50 at best.

The players are nonsensically greedy. I have no sympathy for their refusal to do what it takes to get a contract - never forget, their desire for more money is the key driver of this. If the players took the same % of the declining revenue stream as the present contract, this wouldn't be an issue. They should take a pay cut.. their income is other peoples' expense, and who among us has had a raise in the past 18 months?

Unions don't negotiate for their members.. they negotiate to demonstrate the need for the continued existence of the union itself.

I love the NFL. But I won't be surprised if the players are stupid enough to strike.

I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

Nah, I enjoy communicating with you too much Gipper. My next post will be asking for contributions to help Jerry Jones offset the Cowboys' bad season.

I don't even want to hear or think about this subject while there is a season going on. And really, don't bother us with all the constant stories of "woe is us billionaires and millionaires". Just post a notice that matters are settled. Until then: STFU.

????

You having a bad day?

**Shrug**

Nah, I enjoy communicating with you too much Gipper. My next post will be asking for contributions to help Jerry Jones offset the Cowboys' bad season.

How about this: Jerry should donate ownership of the team to the State of Texas...or at least sell it off so it becomes a publicly owned company, like the Packers.

????

You having a bad day?

**Shrug**

No, I just don't think us fans need to be inundated with talk about the "Labor Strife" that the NFL owners and players are supposedly going to go through. They are all fabulously wealthy, so whatever issues there are between them...can say between them (and yes, I know there are some legitimate issues to be dealt with). Just don't involve us.

you can talk all you want about millionaires being greedy about losing millions, but this is a great post and explains it well. I understand they'd still all be extremely rich, but Gipper if you owned a business that saw profits declining anywhere from 30-50% (which is where the estimates are) would you not do something drastic to change it? I understand where you're coming from here, but you have to realize the owners see this as a business. And in the business world it's all about making money. I would probably go insane if there is a lockout, but honestly as much as I hate to admit I side with the owners on this one.

Honestly, everyone who uses the argument "well they are filthy rich who cares if they lose a couple million dollars" is speaking somewhat out of ignorant bliss. I can understand the argument "well he lost 3 million dollars, but he still made 10 million" and call the person greedy. But trust me, if you actually made that much money, you'd be doing the same damn thing. People who make that much money work VERY hard to do so. When these owners or anyone sees that money drop a lot, they will do something about it. It's just good business, you can't understand without being in their shoes.

you can talk all you want about millionaires being greedy about losing millions, but this is a great post and explains it well. I understand they'd still all be extremely rich, but Gipper if you owned a business that saw profits declining anywhere from 30-50% (which is where the estimates are) would you not do something drastic to change it? I understand where you're coming from here, but you have to realize the owners see this as a business. And in the business world it's all about making money. I would probably go insane if there is a lockout, but honestly as much as I hate to admit I side with the owners on this one.

Honestly, everyone who uses the argument "well they are filthy rich who cares if they lose a couple million dollars" is speaking somewhat out of ignorant bliss. I can understand the argument "well he lost 3 million dollars, but he still made 10 million" and call the person greedy. But trust me, if you actually made that much money, you'd be doing the same damn thing. People who make that much money work VERY hard to do so. When these owners or anyone sees that money drop a lot, they will do something about it. It's just good business, you can't understand without being in their shoes.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say. All I am saying is: Hey, you guys. Deal with it. Solve your problems. Keep us out of it. Play ball!

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you say. All I am saying is: Hey, you guys. Deal with it. Solve your problems. Keep us out of it. Play ball!

I'm not trying to be a jerk Gipper. I like much of what you say on here, but you could use your last quote about subjects such as who will start at QB, should Mangini stay, etc. Whether we like it or not, player salaries, owner profits, management/labor bargaining agreements, etc. all have a major and direct impact on the game....probably as much or more than individual coaches and players at times. Peace.

and i also understand what you're getting at too, but it's inevitable that we as fans will get heavily wrapped into it. There's just too much technology and media outlets for this not to happen. It's better IMO then to actually understand the situation then try and forcibly stay away from it ya know?

Archived