THE BROWNS BOARD

A Prescription for Beating New England?

longhorn

This is going to be a tough week to carve out a win for the Browns. New England is quietly having another good year.

Here's what I think we'll have to do to win the game.

#1--Zero to few mistakes. We really cannot afford any turnovers, but we must win the turnover battle by +2.

#2--Keep New England under 20 points. This will be tough because the Pats are averaging 29 points per game. The best way to do this is #3 on my list.

#3--Win the time of possession by at least 7 minutes. We have to keep Brady off the field.

#4--Score at least 21 points. Kind of obvious given my earlier comments but we need to surpass our 17 points per game average. This week the offense needs to win the game.

#5--Be who we haven't been. This week we need to pass, pass, pass to set up the run...even if we are ahead. We need ball control passes to the backs, slants, curls, and short stuff to the tight ends. Throw deep once in a while to keep them honest.

#6--When we run, make a strategic decision to have our QB be an active part of the running game. McCoy and/or Wallace are good runners, use them!

#7--Maintain good field position. Make them go 80+ yards by good execution on special teams and defense.

PS--as fans we need to start expecting to win each week. Positive energy promotes good karma!

I think it all comes down to us defending against the pass. Our DBs did well against the Saints but I still feel that is our weak spot, and a great QB like Brady will take advantage. Keep them from scoring, and I think Hillis will have a BIG game. Hopefully see McCoy start, he deserves it!

Great post.

The only part I disagree with is passing the ball to set up the run. I think the best way to beat New England is a completely balanced attack. Get the ball to the backs, or WRs in the flats, but don't expect that to work consistently because we don't have the WRs to make that happen. To cure that: HILLIS. Pound the rock against this D while mixing in screens and passes to the backs seems to be the best gameplan, in my opinion. I do agree that we need to pass on first down more often, but it needs to be executed well for us to win.

PS

Thank God last weekend was Halloween weekend. It was so blurry I didn't even think 'I wish the Browns were playing' like I usually do on BYE weeks.

Go Browns

Brady's quietly having a Pro-Bowl year- but the key, looking at the stats is limiting turnovers- the Pats are near the top with a +7, and the Browns limiting big plays on defense. NE's D has been so-so.

On D we need to be aggressive, but we don't need to all out blitz. Keep up with the zone blitz to confuse the line and qb.

On O, as was said, we need to control the ball in a fairly balanced way with high percentage passes and a grind it out run game.

I would run lot's of 2 TE sets with Moore in the game a good percentage of the time. That will help with the run and bring in another set of hands that can catch those high percentage passes. Moore and Watson can beat the NE backers, so a safety is going to have to help cover them, so we may get a few nice over the top shots to MoMass.

On special teams, field position. Keep them in the long field most of the game.

Good player execution and aggressive balanced ball controlling attacks resulting in points more times than not..

The defense must play solid all the way around, and disguise coverages extremely well any blitzes have to at minimal pressure brady's release or it could be a long day..

I sense the potential for an upset this sunday for some reason!

Sign Randy Moss and play him at cornerback.

Zombo

That's an idea. Although the DB's did OK against the Saints Brady can pick them apart if their off their game even a little. Not turning the ball over, ball and clock control and solid "D" are key.

Doesn't Belichick hate Mangini because of this whole thing. or this one if they wear the old unis.

post-2380-1288708349_thumb.jpg

post-2380-1288708394_thumb.jpg

When the schedule came out in April, I felt the Browns would split these two home games with NE & NY Jets. Mangini is going to go all out in these games, vs his ex-mentor & ex-employer.

If we can somehow steal this Pats game, I smell a sweep. The NY Jets are not who we thought they were, lol.

Browns 12

Pats 7

Let's bring some noise this Sunday!!!!!!!!

Sign Randy Moss and play him at cornerback.

Zombo

I dont think there is any QB's who can be effective when they are laying on their backside. We need to knock Brady down time and time again. If we are succesful applying pressure on Brady our defense will control the game again.

Get Cribbs involved more... We got too.. he has been an after thought this year in all aspects of the game. The man has talent oozing from him and I hate the fact that our game plan isn't using him more...

I don't think it's they're not using him enough, it's the fact that other teams are paying extra attention to him now.

Brady's quietly having a Pro-Bowl year- but the key, looking at the stats is limiting turnovers- the Pats are near the top with a +7, and the Browns limiting big plays on defense. NE's D has been so-so.

I know Brady is not HAVING A Probowl year he is 15th in QB Standing here is his sloppy stats below thats all they talk about here in mass is about him,65.3 Rating is not a Probowl Year Buddy.

15 Tom Brady NE QB 147 225 65.3 32.1 1,602 7.1 228.9 12 4 75 33.3 65T 22 3 12 96.6

or Link below.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

I know Brady is not HAVING A Probowl year he is 15th in QB Standing here is his sloppy stats below thats all they talk about here in mass is about him,65.3 Rating is not a Probowl Year Buddy.

15 Tom Brady NE QB 147 225 65.3 32.1 1,602 7.1 228.9 12 4 75 33.3 65T 22 3 12 96.6

or Link below.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tab...mp;d-447263-n=1

65.3 is completion percentage...

96.6 is the rating

Archived