THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's Go Ravens!

BROWNandORANGE

oh my god! you beat the Steelers during a regular season and a down year for Pittsburgh. so what.

If you were any type of team you'd be competing with the Steelers and Ravens for Division championships every year. Have fun with your regular season win last year. Browns football is simply amazing. LOL

It wasn't a down year for the Steelers until the Browns beat them.

And be careful what you ask for. The Browns days will be coming.

It wasn't a down year for the Steelers until the Browns beat them.

And be careful what you ask for. The Browns days will be coming

Are you being serious? It was the most heinous skid this decade so yes it was a down year WELL before we played the Stains. (Stains = keeping with board theme) We started 6-2 and finished 9-7. Yea I'd say it was a down year.

Are you being serious? It was the most heinous skid this decade so yes it was a down year WELL before we played the Stains. (Stains = keeping with board theme) We started 6-2 and finished 9-7. Yea I'd say it was a down year.

OK, apparently you are right. The Browns loss came at the end of a 5 game losing streak. I was thinking it came at the beginning of it.

yes the Ravens are the Browns. Say what you like. The owner of the Browns took them and moved them to Balt. That is fact.

Sorry. But that's the way it happened. If not, what happened to the Browns for those few years. They quit?

You don't have a faking goddamn idea what you are talking about. Yes, as a matter of fact the Browns were "inactive".

It is not a matter of saying what I like, it is a matter of stating the facts.

It's this kind of thinking that gives fans of the Browns, who really understand football, a bad name.

WTF are you talking about. It is a pucking fact that if in that playoff game in the 2002 season that the Browns had a 33-28 lead with like less than 2 minutes to go. The Browns had the ball, they had 3rd down, and a pass was thrown to Northcutt that was right in his hands, but he dropped it. It was not stripped, he was not hit, he dropped it. That would have given the Browns a 1st down. They could have then probably just taken a couple or 3 knees and the game would have been over with the Browns victorious. Instead, they had to punt and Pittsburgh was able to go down and score the winning TD with like under a minute to go in the game.

Beyond that, in fact the Browns had a 17 point lead midway through the 3rd quarter.....and Butch Davis decided then and there to begin to go into the "prevent" defense....and of course they lost their aggressiveness in the game and it, naturally "prevented" a Browns victory.

What is it about THIS that YOU don't understand?

I couldn't find a video of the play, but here is a description of the end of that game from ESPN.com:

Maddox gave the Steelers a chance, leading a 77-yard drive that ended with his 5-yard scoring pass to Hines Ward with 3:06 left, cutting the deficit to 33-28.

Even then, the Browns needed only a first down or two to run it out.

"I don't think anybody in the building thought we weren't going to win,'' Holcomb said. "I think everybody thought we were going to go on.''

But Northcutt, who had made big play after big play with two scoring catches and a long punt return, couldn't hold onto a throw from Holcomb on third-and-12 and the Browns punted.

"I just dropped it, plain and simple,'' Northcutt said.

With Pittsburgh in a score-or-go home situation, Maddox found Plaxico Burress for 24 yards, Hines Ward for 10, Burress again for 17 and Ward for 7. Fuamatu-Ma'afala, filling the role Jerome Bettis usually plays when he's not hurting with a sore knee, then powered up the middle from the 3 to score.

The game ended with Holcomb's 16-yard completion to Andre King at the Steelers 29 as the Browns couldn't get into range for a possible tying field goal.

You don't have a faking goddamn idea what you are talking about. Yes, as a matter of fact the Browns were "inactive".

It is not a matter of saying what I like, it is a matter of stating the facts

You can play around with the words all you want. Art Model owned the Browns and moved his team to Balt. The team moved to Baltimore. Simple. We argued and yelled, so the league made some concessions so we could call the new cleveland team the Browns and keep the history. This happened AFTER the Browns moved to Baltimore.

The NFL threw us a bone.

If you want to believe Model took a bunch of random football players, broke leases with the city of Cleveland, took this random group of players and made a contact with the city of Baltimore for this group to play the next season in that city, most of these players just happening to be Browns players, and the city of Cleveland decided to "deactivate" the Browns for a few years. Go right ahead.

yes the Ravens are the Browns. Say what you like. The owner of the Browns took them and moved them to Balt. That is fact.

Sorry. But that's the way it happened. If not, what happened to the Browns for those few years. They quit?

.....Otto Graham wasn't the Cleveland Browns.. .Jim Brown wasn't the Cleveland Browns.. Bernie Kosar wasn't the Cleveland Browns. and that group of players modell whisked off to Baltimore definitely wasn't the Cleveland Browns !!!!

Players come & go .. but the franchise remains IN CLEVELAND.......otherwise they would have been the Baltimore Browns wouldn't they...............

You can play around with the words all you want. Art Model owned the Browns and moved his team to Balt. The team moved to Baltimore. Simple.

By no means is it that simple, stupid. The Cleveland Browns franchise did NOT move. The Cleveland Browns corporation did not move.

I don't necessarily want to give you a legal lecture about corporate asset transfers, or specific performance, or whatever other legal aspects apply to this matter, but I will if you are willing to pre-pay my retainer.

We argued and yelled, so the league made some concessions so we could call the new cleveland team the Browns and keep the history. This happened AFTER the Browns moved to Baltimore.

The NFL threw us a bone.

The NFL didn't throw us a bone, the NFL was hit across the head with a bone like a 2X4 hits a mule across the head.

If you want to believe Model took a bunch of random football players, broke leases with the city of Cleveland, took this random group of players and made a contact with the city of Baltimore for this group to play the next season in that city, most of these players just happening to be Browns players, and the city of Cleveland decided to "deactivate" the Browns for a few years. Go right ahead.

It is not an issue of what I believe. It is an issue of historical and legal fact. What you describe is exactly what happened. It isn't a matter of my opinion.

My opinion is a matter of subjectivity. What happened with the Browns is not a subjective matter, it is a factual matter.

You can't state an opinion as a fact and claim to be right. Just because you think the earth is flat does not make it flat.

So, in 1995, it didn't bother you at all when Model moved the, I guess, Ravens, from Cleveland to Baltimore? (using your logic)

You were ok with this. He's not moving the Browns. The Browns are going to take a break for some odd reason, and Model is moving the Ravens to Baltimore.

Why would all of Cleveland be upset with Modell? He didn't do anything?

Never heard of a team "deactivating" themselves.

What happened to the players? They were on the Browns in 1995 and then the Ravens in 1996. Did they get traded? All sign as free agents? Where did the Browns go? Disappear?

Now, I understand, the revisionist legal thing that was done to give the history and colors, etc back to Cleveland. But in reality, come on.

Semantics.

So, in 1995, it didn't bother you at all when Model moved the, I guess, Ravens, from Cleveland to Baltimore? (using your logic)

You were ok with this. He's not moving the Browns. The Browns are going to take a break for some odd reason, and Model is moving the Ravens to Baltimore.

What happened to the players? They were on the Browns in 1995 and then the Ravens in 1996. Did they get traded? All sign as free agents? Where did the Browns go? Disappear?

Now, I understand, the revisionist legal thing that was done to give the history and colors, etc back to Cleveland. But in reality, come on.

Semantics.

i smell a steeler's troll. poser.

Semantics.

It is not semantics. There were substantive legal issues at play here. Clearly, however, you don't have a F**king clue, and you capparently don't give a damn about what the facts are, but you are still going to get them: .

There was no "revisionist" legal thing.

The Ravens never existed as an NFL franchise until the settlement of the legal matters was resolved.

The Ravens never moved. They were created as a new expansion franchise entity in Baltimore, and the ownership was assigned to Art Modell.

The entity known as the Cleveland Browns franchise went into trust with the NFL. They didn't deactivate themselves, they were deactivated by the NFL pursuant to the settlement arrangement. Don't you remember Bill Futterer being the head of the Cleveland Browns Trust? The NFL held the franchise in trust until they decided how to reconstitute it and how to sell it to a new owner.

As for the players being traded.....in a certain sense you could call it that. Their contracts were 'assigned' from the Cleveland Browns franchise to the Baltimore Ravens franchise, essentially exactly like what happens when a trade is made.

Were you even alive when all this happened? You seem so clueless about it I have to believe you weren't.

My God, this is an old, well know story. Why are you just now catching up with it?

Semantics.

Look its quite simple...........in 1995 Art Modell TRIED to move the Cleveland Browns franchise to Baltimore... that's the reason all of Cleveland was upset with him . The city of Cleveland fought the move . and won . So the Cleveland Browns Franchise Stayed in Cleveland...ideally we would have liked to have kept the players and competed in the 1996 season as the Browns. but at the time just keeping the Browns name and colors and history was good enough. the players left and automatically became employed by the Baltimore Ravens...........so using your logic if the ravens ( players )would have won the SB that first season that would have been a Cleveland Browns winning team only in different colors . in a different City????....?????

I was in Cleveland at the time. I remember Art Model moving the team to Baltimore. I then remember the fight that ensued, and the city getting the Browns colors and history back.

This has nothing to do with dedication to the Browns, or following them, supporting them, etc.

If your boss fires you, and then you say "you can't fire me, I quit" You were fired.

Now there are cases where someone is about to be fired, and a company allows them to resign to avoid being fired. Legally, they resigned their position, but in reality, they were fired.

We can make all the adjustements in wording we want, but everyone should know what really happened.

A lot of name calling for just a difference our interpratation of what happened.

I was in Cleveland at the time. I remember Art Model moving the team to Baltimore. I then remember the fight that ensued, and the city getting the Browns colors and history back.

This has nothing to do with dedication to the Browns, or following them, supporting them, etc.

If your boss fires you, and then you say "you can't fire me, I quit" You were fired.

Now there are cases where someone is about to be fired, and a company allows them to resign to avoid being fired. Legally, they resigned their position, but in reality, they were fired.

We can make all the adjustements in wording we want, but everyone should know what really happened.

A lot of name calling for just a difference our interpratation of what happened.

This is not a case of where there can be a "difference of interpretation" of what happened. There is what happened and there is...nothing.

The Cleveland Browns team...and every other NFL team was and is made up of more than just the guy that owns the biggest chunk of it and his underlings, be those players, coaches, secretaries, or other front office types. Owners, players, coaches, secretaries, etc. etc. etc. come and go.

This is not a case of where there can be a "difference of interpretation" of what happened. There is what happened and there is...nothing.

The Cleveland Browns team...and every other NFL team was and is made up of more than just the guy that owns the biggest chunk of it and his underlings, be those players, coaches, secretaries, or other front office types. Owners, players, coaches, secretaries, etc. etc. etc. come and go.

Well said ...................what is the matter with this guy!!!!

i know i dont know the intricacies of the story but......the Cleveland Browns NEVER left Cleveland....just the personnel ........and as i keep saying they dont represent the history or the legacy of the Browns

"there is what's real . and what the written word says"???????????????????????????

i STILL dont know what your point is/ was !!!!!

hey UK: this guy is a tool. don't understand how negativity is a good thing.

in the meantime............be calm and carry on! how are the cucumber sandwiches this time of year? -peace.

What's negative about it? I'm not saying i like it.

I remember Model saying he is moving the team to Baltimore.

I remember the trucks leaving as they took all the stuff from Berea. The uproar, and the fans coming together to let the NFL know we want a team in Cleveland called the Browns with the same colors.

What about the FACT that for some reason, in 1996 the Baltimore Ravens took the place in the draft of the Cleveland Browns (a spot that was based on the Browns record from the year before)

I'm not being negative.

Archived