THE BROWNS BOARD

Defensive Player of the Year Predictions

Spunkonmyback DPOY

There's not much debate with who will probably win NFL MVP and Offensive Player of the Year.

The same can't be said for Defensive Player of the Year. No one player is having that big of a standout year over another on defense. I'm just trying to get a few different opinions on who you believe will win it this year.

Right now I say Polamalu has to be the leading canidate. What do you guys think?

I'll save you guys the time responding to this thread.

Who ever: I pick so and so.

Spunk: So and so isn't doing so bad, but he doesn't have DPOY numbers. (insert Steelers player here) is doing great and is in consideration.

Well, as long as the player named doesn't have anywhere near DPOY numbers (like Matthews) there's nothing wrong with me saying that.

Wake, Matthews, Harrison, Polamalu are the top 4 IMO. I would give the nod to Polamalu right noe.

Sleeper pick = Terrell Thomas

I'm not trying to sound homerish, but I don't think Matthews gets it unless he has a huge next 3 games. Wake is one dimensional, I don't think he has a chance.

My sleeper pick would be DeAngelo Hall. But rarely do players from non-playoff teams and horrible defenses win the award unless he is undisputably the best defender. 29th pass defense, 32nd overall on defense for the Redskins; Hall won't even get considered. If the Redskins had a top-10 defense he would be the DPOY favorite right now.

Who's the offensive MVP that's so obvious? Brady or Rivers? Three weeks ago they were giving it to Rivers, now Brady.

Brady for league MVP. Vick or Rivers for offensive MVP.

Vick loses votes for not starting all season, Rivers loses votes because the Chargers will probably miss the playoffs.

I would go clay matthews

Sleeper- eric wright

Eric Wright? I'm hoping that's sarcasm.

Matthews got a lot of DPOY talk early in the season, but now I would even put Harrison ahead of him.

Matthews :

Combines Tackles: 51

Sacks: 12.5

Passes Defended: 5

INTs: 1

Forced Fumbles: 1

Recoveries: 0

Harrison:

Combined Tackles: 79

Sacks: 10

Passes Defended: 6

INTs: 2

Forced Fumbles: 6

Recoveries: 1

Eric Wright? I'm hoping that's sarcasm.

Matthews got a lot of DPOY talk early in the season, but now I would even put Harrison ahead of him.

Matthews :

Combines Tackles: 51

Sacks: 12.5

Passes Defended: 5

INTs: 1

Forced Fumbles: 1

Recoveries: 0

Harrison:

Combined Tackles: 79

Sacks: 10

Passes Defended: 6

INTs: 2

Forced Fumbles: 6

Recoveries: 1

Get it through your little pee brain. Harrison will not win any award this year with the light that has been shown upon him for illegal hits. Do you know how bad the NFL would look if they award someone who broke all the rules? You are an idiot. Its not happening this year. Ill put my house on it.

Get it through your little pee brain. Harrison will not win any award this year with the light that has been shown upon him for illegal hits. Do you know how bad the NFL would look if they award someone who broke all the rules? You are an idiot. Its not happening this year. Ill put my house on it.

The AP gives out the award. Not Goodell.

Matthews had a sack this past week vs Detriot where he lead with his helmet. The sack counted and he was not flagged. Players such as Chad Ochocinco, Brian Urlacher and Terrell Suggs have all defended Harrison's hits and Suggs even said it's obvious that Harrison has been "red flagged" by the league and the refs. I think the voters recognize Goodell's inconsistancies and not keep Harrison from winning it if they feel he is the best defensive player this year. But if you read the first post you would know a think Polamalu will win it. I was just saying Matthews doesn't really have a chance because even Harrison has considerably better all-around stats.

The AP gives out the award. Not Goodell.

Matthews had a sack this past week vs Detriot where he lead with his helmet. The sack counted and he was not flagged. Players such as Chad Ochocinco, Brian Urlacher and Terrell Suggs have all defended Harrison's hits and Suggs even said it's obvious that Harrison has been "red flagged" by the league. I think the voters recognize Goodell's inconsistancies and not keep Harrison from winning it if they feel he is the best defensive player this year. But if you read the first post you would know a think Polamalu will win it. I was just saying Matthews doesn't really have a chance because even Harrison has considerably better all-around stats.

Matthews will win. And if he does, dont come crawling back here. Please.

I'm not trying to sound homerish, but I don't think Matthews gets it unless he has a huge next 3 games. Wake is one dimensional, I don't think he has a chance.

My sleeper pick would be DeAngelo Hall. But rarely do players from non-playoff teams and horrible defenses win the award unless he is undisputably the best defender. 29th pass defense, 32nd overall on defense for the Redskins; Hall won't even get considered. If the Redskins had a top-10 defense he would be the DPOY favorite right now.

Thank you for proving me wrong and naming some other players who aren't steelers.

Thank you for proving me wrong and naming some other players who aren't steelers.

I didn't come here to be a homer about this. I'm trying to give my honest opinion. But the past few days after looking through stats and such I came to the conclusion Polamalu is the leader in the DPOY race and Harrison seems to be a close 2nd. That was the honest conclusion I came to, but that seemed way to homerish for me to beleive it. That's why I came here to seek opinions of others. Wake has no chance at winning and even Matthews is starting to seem like a long shot. Hall, statistically speaking, deserves strong contention for DPOY, but no corner coming from the 29th pass defense and worst overall defense will ever win the award. I just don't see any players other than Harrison, Troy and Hall that are deserving at this point. Matthews could bring himself back into the equation with a 3 huge games to finish the season, but I don't think anyone else is close enough to cacth up at this point.

I'm not trying to argue that only Steelers should be getting consideration, if there are any defenders who should be getting DPOY consideration that haven't been mentioned yet just mention them. If I disagree I will say why, but I'm not just trying to start useless arguements.

Archived