THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve Smith

shepwrite

Hear me out...

Steve Smith has been a dick for a large portion of his life. He's cold-cocked his own teammates. He bitches and pouts. He can also be a funny, engaging guy who had a very good relationship with a certain mentor-to-be named Jake Delhomme. The two actually were friends.

Smith is going to get cut. He already put his house up for sale. The team sucks and is in for a long rebuilding process with a rookie QB, probably Andrew Luck. Smith is due 7 mill he'll never see based on injuries and production.

Oh, and to recommend him even less? He'll be 32 in May. He's absolutely a short-term prospect.

And I think that makes him ideal for the Browns, who are likely to draft a WR in the 8 to 13 range next April. Rookie receivers often take time to become stars... and the Browns seem to have an opportunity to be serious contenders in 2011, if indeed there is a 2011. Well, I mean there will be a 2011, but maybe not for football fans.

Now the good stuff: Smith is still fast. He's in great shape. He's a fiery competitor. And, again, he loves him some Jake Delhomme, who will be there to broker the relationship between McCoy, Smith, and Julio Jones (for example). Massoquoi becomes the slot, something many think he's born to do (talked about a lot his rookie year).

The Browns defense has been pretty damn good this year. A couple of new pieces in the front 7, they have a shot to be legit top 10. We'll be able to run the ball. If we can also throw it? The sky's the limit.

Smith would only be relevant for two years, which gives Julio time to grow into the #1.

Just sayin'.

Hear me out...

Steve Smith has been a dick for a large portion of his life. He's cold-cocked his own teammates. He bitches and pouts. He can also be a funny, engaging guy who had a very good relationship with a certain mentor-to-be named Jake Delhomme. The two actually were friends.

Smith is going to get cut. He already put his house up for sale. The team sucks and is in for a long rebuilding process with a rookie QB, probably Andrew Luck. Smith is due 7 mill he'll never see based on injuries and production.

Oh, and to recommend him even less? He'll be 32 in May. He's absolutely a short-term prospect.

And I think that makes him ideal for the Browns, who are likely to draft a WR in the 8 to 13 range next April. Rookie receivers often take time to become stars... and the Browns seem to have an opportunity to be serious contenders in 2011, if indeed there is a 2011. Well, I mean there will be a 2011, but maybe not for football fans.

Now the good stuff: Smith is still fast. He's in great shape. He's a fiery competitor. And, again, he loves him some Jake Delhomme, who will be there to broker the relationship between McCoy, Smith, and Julio Jones (for example). Massoquoi becomes the slot, something many think he's born to do (talked about a lot his rookie year).

The Browns defense has been pretty damn good this year. A couple of new pieces in the front 7, they have a shot to be legit top 10. We'll be able to run the ball. If we can also throw it? The sky's the limit.

Smith would only be relevant for two years, which gives Julio time to grow into the #1.

Just sayin'.

Smith has jumped the shark and I'm not so sure Delhomme makes the roster next year, so I wouldn't put much into that connection. If we get to training camp and he's available and we still have big concerns ... then I'd give him a whiff.

Zombo

Smith has jumped the shark and I'm not so sure Delhomme makes the roster next year, so I wouldn't put much into that connection. If we get to training camp and he's available and we still have big concerns ... then I'd give him a whiff.

Zombo

The fact that he was even riding a shark makes him a badass!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I would certainly launch Delhomme... but I'm getting a vibe that he's REALLY well liked by both McCoy and this staff. Like Zombo said, a new staff of Holmgren guys might prefer Wallace's WCO experience, but I think McCoy will lobby for Jake.

As a backup/mentor/security blanket, I'm less concerned. Unless McCoy gets hurt and then I'll barf on my screen.

Steve smith would be a welcome addition or vincent jackson.

I think steve smith would love playing for gruden ;l

cool, then maybe Steve Smith can go give Gruden a blumpkin while he broadcasts Monday Night Football because Gruden isn't coming to Cleveland.

As for Steve Smith and Vincent Jackson coming to Cleveland, they are both thugs who have proven themselves to be detrimental to their teams. Let's draft a rookie wideout like Julio Jones or A.J. Green.

Smith is an emotional guy, but I wouldn't characterize him as a dick. I actually think his character would be a welcome thing for this team, they certainly wouldn't lack for fire offensively with a leader like Colt and Smith, plus Colt has the personality to keep someone like Smith in line and more even keeled. Remember, questionable character guys usually aren't much of an issue when surrounded with a solid character team, it's when you let the inmates start to run the asylum that things get whacked.

He can still play, and would be a good bridge IF he can stay healthy. If we are really serious about upgrading the receiving corps (although I still think both MoMass and Robo will be decent pros), a number one draft pick alone is not going to do it. We are going to need a guy like Smith for the transition. Smith wants to win, and I think Mangie would get a hold of him enough to shut him up. The first second he spouted off about Colt like he did with Clausen, he gets sat. However, I wouldn't see him doing that with Colt because he demands respect.

I'd prefer another receiver, one who specializes in getting open, eye opening catches, and funny as hell interviews..

his name rhymes with Brad Mojoplinko, and I think he's a FA

PGL! Dude!!! Good to see you. You were probably talking about someone else, but Brad Mojoplinko is a pretty damn good WR in his own right. Not to be underestimated. Lithuania U., one of the best ever at the school.

Coming from Charlotte, I can tell you a lot about Steve Smith and what he brings to a team. Here's what I love about the guy: he LOVES to play hard and compete when the team is doing well down here. He has a fiery attitude which really gets the crowd and fellow players into it. He loves contact and YAC

HOWEVER, it's clear to me over the past two years his age is getting to him. I just watched a local interview where he said after this season his goal was something along the lines of helping other players grow because he knows his best years are past him. And this year to me anyway, I saw a man who has completely given up. I know what you're thinking, the team is 1-12, but trust me the local press is all over him about it. I'm not even going to say it's not somewhat understandable, but it's still fairly inexcusable.

Overall, I agree with you guys. I say if he's still lingering around toward the start of training camp, I'm all for it. But he wouldn't be the first guy on my list by any means because I have a feeling he's going to want pretty good money.

i really can't speak much on this topic except i know steve smith USED to be one of the fastest bad ass receivers in the league, but haven't heard too much of him since he broke his arm, what, a year ago?

plus is he the type of presence mangini (yes you haters) MANGINI would want in the locker room considering what he's trying to build and with whom? i don't know.

i agree with above posters that i'd rather have chad. i know he already has the respect of most cleveland fans (at least from what i've been able to see from afar......media and such).

Gotta believe that an improved perception of Browns football throughout the league will pay dividends by putting it back on the FA map. Lets face it, recent history has had the team pretty far down on the list of

potential opportunity for FA's (at least those serious about winning). Gonna be interesting to see who comes down the pike to to assist the Browns in their climb back to the top of the heap.

Gotta believe that an improved perception of Browns football throughout the league will pay dividends by putting it back on the FA map. Lets face it, recent history has had the team pretty far down on the list of

potential opportunity for FA's (at least those serious about winning). Gonna be interesting to see who comes down the pike to to assist the Browns in their climb back to the top of the heap.

We have had players interested in winning show up here, well more like players. Scott Fujita came here because he likes playing for teams that are trying to turn it around. That's why he joined the Saint's and that's also why he didn't resign with them and came here.

bring in a underpreforming former star, who's about to be cut for underpreforming, to be the new messiah in cleveland?

how'd that work out with the panthers QB you aquired???

We have had players interested in winning show up here, well more like players. Scott Fujita came here because he likes playing for teams that are trying to turn it around. That's why he joined the Saint's and that's also why he didn't resign with them and came here.

Agreed, Fajita is a gamer

Let's not get crazy: Vincent Jackson is a great, great WR and his quarterback sure as hell looked happy to have him back. It would be flat-out insane of SD to let him get away.

My draft that year was Aaron Rodgers at #3 and Vincent Jackson at #35. My masterwork by far. I've gone way downhill since then. I believe the Browns picked Edwards, Pool, and Fry. Nice.

As for Steve Smith and Vincent Jackson coming to Cleveland, they are both thugs who have proven themselves to be detrimental to their teams. Let's draft a rookie wideout like Julio Jones or A.J. Green.

Getting busted twice for DUI makes VJax a risky acquisition, but does it make him a "thug"? That seems a bit strong.

I'd love to have Steve Smith, but I doubt he'll give up a chance to play for a SB contender just because Delhomme's here.

Vincent Jackson was really detrimental with those 3 TD's on TNF last night.

So sick of people discrediting talent.

We're 5-8, Chargers are in the playoff race. A guy like Jackson puts us in contention. Especially Jackson and Julio Jones or AJ Green.

I like V-Jax's talent but he does have character issues. Steve Smith is still talented, the lack of quarterback production is what's contributed to his poor numbers this season. Not a bad FA agent option if he's not too costly. His only downside is how well he'd play in this weather AFAIK he's only played in warm climes both college and professionally.

I like V-Jax's talent but he does have character issues. Steve Smith is still talented, the lack of quarterback production is what's contributed to his poor numbers this season. Not a bad FA agent option if he's not too costly. His only downside is how well he'd play in this weather AFAIK he's only played in warm climes both college and professionally.

Didnt Steve Smith Attend Utah and went to Junior College with Chad Johnson and someone else cant think of it right now, i wouldnt mind having him at the right price but i dont think he cares where delhomme is and knows hes not the future of this organzation Colt McCoy is and if he wants to be a part of that and bring some intensity to this team and help tutor say A.J. Green or Julio Jones Blackmon etc.. then im all for it he plays hard and i bet Colt would have a grin on his face if we signed him but it has to be the right situation we just cant throw a ton of money at him, as far as V Jax goes hes gonna want big money and we cant invest in him as well as a Number one draft pick WR, I do believe V Jax is a stud with talent just dont know if he comes to Cleveland he most likely will go else where

I am thinking this offseason we need to surround Colt. We need to let him know that he is our guy. The way we do this?

Draft:

Round 1 - WR - AJ Green or Julio Jones - We need a big play WR for Colt, either fill this role.

Round 2 - RT - Best OT available, period - If we continue with John St. Claire or Tony Pashos there Colt may not do very well.

Round 3 - RB - Noel Devine or another scat back - Peyton Hillis has done an outstanding job, and we get Hardesty back next year, but they fit the same mold. Devine gives us a scat back, and we could have Hillis and Devine both in on third downs because both are threats to catch passes. Devine just gives another dimension.

Round 4 - CB - Eric Wright has been awful.

Round 5 - LB - We are slow, we need some speed

Round 6 - DL - We are old here

Round 6 - S - We may need someone to play with Ward, this player will prolly just be depth anyways, and we have Elam who has been picking it up.

I would love to get a WR in the FA like Steve Smith or maybe Chad Ochocinco(as much as I cant stand him), Vincent Jackson, or Sidney Rice and move Massaquoi to the slot. This would give us a top tier WR group and keep defenses honest.

We would also need to pick up a DL.

Archived