THE BROWNS BOARD

Harbaugh praises Mangini and Browns

peterbell

Ravens' John Harbaugh praises Eric Mangini, Peyton Hillis gets Baltimore 'Pro Bowl vote'

Published: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 8:44 PM Updated: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 9:18 PM

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Follow

John Kuntz, The Plain Dealer

Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini wears the pain of Sunday's loss on his face.

With Eric Mangini's job on the line after three straight losses, Ravens coach John Harbaugh made his pitch for the Browns coach to stay.

"This team over the last two years just keeps getting better and better,'' said Harbaugh. "This is a legitimate football team. How many close games have they played in? You just go down and look at the scores and you’re like, ‘oh my goodness.’ Then they dominate two of the best teams in the league — the Patriots and the Saints. We haven’t been able to do that this year against that kind of competition. This football team is really, really good. They may have their quarterback. I think they’re really well-coached on both sides of the ball and special teams. We knew what we were in for coming in.”

Harbaugh was also impressed by the Brown's intensity , something players such as Colt McCoy and Peyton Hillis said was lacking in losses to Buffalo and Cincinnati.

"This is a highly motivated football team,'' said Harbaugh. "They came to play. You could see it in pre-game, and you could see it right until the last second. This team fights. We knew it was going to be that type of game. I think that’s why [LB] Ray [Lewis] said what he said (about Peyton Hillis and a blind cat finding a meal): to get our guys ready.''

Ravens' John Harbaugh praises Eric Mangini, Peyton Hillis gets Baltimore 'Pro Bowl vote'

Published: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 8:44 PM Updated: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 9:18 PM

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Follow

John Kuntz, The Plain Dealer

Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini wears the pain of Sunday's loss on his face.

With Eric Mangini's job on the line after three straight losses, Ravens coach John Harbaugh made his pitch for the Browns coach to stay.

"This team over the last two years just keeps getting better and better,'' said Harbaugh. "This is a legitimate football team. How many close games have they played in? You just go down and look at the scores and you’re like, ‘oh my goodness.’ Then they dominate two of the best teams in the league — the Patriots and the Saints. We haven’t been able to do that this year against that kind of competition. This football team is really, really good. They may have their quarterback. I think they’re really well-coached on both sides of the ball and special teams. We knew what we were in for coming in.”

Harbaugh was also impressed by the Brown's intensity , something players such as Colt McCoy and Peyton Hillis said was lacking in losses to Buffalo and Cincinnati.

"This is a highly motivated football team,'' said Harbaugh. "They came to play. You could see it in pre-game, and you could see it right until the last second. This team fights. We knew it was going to be that type of game. I think that’s why [LB] Ray [Lewis] said what he said (about Peyton Hillis and a blind cat finding a meal): to get our guys ready.''

Of course they like him...hes easy to beat lol...Mangini still doesnt know know how to manage the clock or use timeouts to help his team win. if I were an opposing coach Id want MH to keep him too!

i'll give your coach the worst vote of confidence he could possibly get.

as an rival team's fan, i would like nothing better than mangina to contiue coaching in clowntown for a VERY LONG TIME!

couple of easy division wins a year, who wouldn't like that?

as an rival team's fan, i would like nothing better than mangina to contiue coaching in clownland for a VERY LONG TIME!

Exactly!

John harbough will probably start praising tim couch soon. In hopes we re sign him..

There is a reason you don't listen to your rivals

Exactly!

John harbough will probably start praising tim couch soon. In hopes we re sign him..

There is a reason you don't listen to your rivals

There would be no reason to make the comments..Jon "QB killer Gruden" is not coming.

So when Chucky gets the job in San Fran you can take you're man love to the West Coast

and San Francisco where "Man Love" rules.

as an rival team's fan, i would like nothing better than mangina to contiue coaching in clowntown for a VERY LONG TIME!

LOL, I hope you get your wish. Mangini hasn't been here long enough for you to make that wish. I think that with more time mangini will turn this team into a winner with a physical team that can beat the steelers and ravens. Talent wise we are probably two years away from being able to survive injuries like we had this season but will be improved again next year

On a side note I am hoping for the bengals to win again this week so marvin lewis can stick around

Of course they like him...hes easy to beat lol...Mangini still doesnt know know how to manage the clock or use timeouts to help his team win. if I were an opposing coach Id want MH to keep him too!

:lol: great post and my feelings exactly, nickers!! it's just that simple, but some people just don't get it. some people will believe any damn thing. the excuses for mangini keep rolling in. mangini got the team more disciplined and got rid of the malcontents and some fans are dellusional to think that's all the progress he needs to keep his job. they overlook his pathetic style of offense, bad clock management, misuse of timeouts, questionable decision making and overall stubborness to change his ways from all of the counter-productive things did in ny and still does in cleveland. and people kill me saying we have no talent. bullcrap!! it's an x's and o's thing with this roster and we lost a number of games because of coaching (particularly on the offensive side). as far as the hate for changing coaches, atleast the front office will be in place and it won't be a total change. holmgren's heroes are a bunch of qualified, proven nfl vets/great minds and i'm confident in them to get things together with whatever they decide to do. holmgren didn't surround himself with a bunch of puppets like mangini did. holmgren surrounded himself with proven winners who he can potentially build a dynasty with.

ps.s mangini is his own worst enemy. he's the reason why we're having this conversation and he's the one who put himself in this position. he should've learned from his mistakes in ny. obviously he didn't.

:lol: great post and my feelings exactly, nickers!! it's just that simple, but some people just don't get it. some people will believe any damn thing. the excuses for mangini keep rolling in. mangini got the team more disciplined and got rid of the malcontents and some fans are dellusional to think that's all the progress he needs to keep his job. they overlook his pathetic style of offense, bad clock management, misuse of timeouts, questionable decision making and overall stubborness to change his ways from all of the counter-productive things did in ny and still does in cleveland. and people kill me saying we have no talent. bullcrap!! it's an x's and o's thing with this roster and we lost a number of games because of coaching (particularly on the offensive side). as far as the hate for changing coaches, atleast the front office will be in place and it won't be a total change. holmgren's heroes are a bunch of qualified, proven nfl vets/great minds and i'm confident in them to get things together with whatever they decide to do. holmgren didn't surround himself with a bunch of puppets like mangini did. holmgren surrounded himself with proven winners who he can potentially build a dynasty with.

ps.s mangini is his own worst enemy. he's the reason why we're having this conversation and he's the one who put himself in this position. he should've learned from his mistakes in ny. obviously he didn't.

another idiot.

who's a better coach tom coughlin or mangini? what team has more talent? (the answer to both would be the ny team).

how did they look when eli threw 4 interceptions?............exactly. without the turnovers in like four of our losses mangini and the team are winners and you wouldn't have shit to say except how much you like the team etc.

and people kill me saying we have no talent. bullcrap!!

And with that statement, any credibility you had went out the window. What talent do we have on offense?

At QB we have had a veteran that couldn't make it on a team that has 2 wins, a career backup, and a rookie that we took in the 3rd round.

At WR we have a few guys that can't get separation, won't fight for the ball, and love to fumble at the worst possible time.

Speaking of fumbling, at RB we have a castoff that has played pretty well but it the most overrated player on this board.

At TE we have a career underachiever that is known for drops that has indeed preformed well.

The good news is, we are all set at LT,C, and FB.

another idiot.

who's a better coach tom coughlin or mangini? what team has more talent? (the answer to both would be the ny team).

how did they look when eli threw 4 interceptions?............exactly. without the turnovers in like four of our losses mangini and the team are winners and you wouldn't have shit to say except how much you like the team etc.

typical mangini homer response. you avoid all of the points that i made and make some irrelevant example to try and back up your weak post. you're the type of person that has lowered expectations and settles for less. have fun with that :lol: .

typical mangini homer response. you avoid all of the points that i made and make some irrelevant example to try and back up your weak post. you're the type of person that has lowered expectations and settles for less. have fun with that :lol: .

Mangini is the type of coach who tries for FG's in a Touchdown league...He blows lol.

And with that statement, any credibility you had went out the window. What talent do we have on offense?

At QB we have had a veteran that couldn't make it on a team that has 2 wins, a career backup, and a rookie that we took in the 3rd round.

At WR we have a few guys that can't get separation, won't fight for the ball, and love to fumble at the worst possible time.

Speaking of fumbling, at RB we have a castoff that has played pretty well but it the most overrated player on this board.

At TE we have a career underachiever that is known for drops that has indeed preformed well.

why do you keep arguing with me? aren't you tired of being wrong? i see you're stooping to the level of taking my comments out of context to try and aid your arguement. there is talent on the browns. i never said there was alot, but there's enough that if a damn hc played to win every week like he did against ne and no we would have more than 5 wins. the same crap people like myself are criticizing mangini for is the same things ny fans complained about. the guy is stubborn, stuck in his ways and insists on doing things the same way. when mangini was hired by lerner, mangini brought in a bunch of puppets he could control instead bringing in proven vets that could help a young hc. that was his first mistake. he hasn't even learned from his mistakes with the jets. if you want to drink that sewer water mangini is selling, then do so. we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Mangini is the type of coach who tries for FG's in a Touchdown league...He blows lol.

lol! did you see "the point after" today on chan 3 with deiken, coach sam and jimmy donovan? sam was ripping mangini and even deiken, who's the biggest browns homer, was hammering mangini's decision making ability. i don't know if you heard wknr today, but if you can go to their website and listen to the reghi and roda show (podcast) you'll hear an interesting quote from a key browns player who answers a question very honestly in regards to the coaching staff (offense).

lol! did you see "the point after" today on chan 3 with deiken, coach sam and jimmy donovan? sam was ripping mangini and even deiken, who's the biggest browns homer, was hammering mangini's decision making ability. i don't know if you heard wknr today, but if you can go to their website and listen to the reghi and roda show (podcast) you'll hear an interesting quote from a key browns player who answers a question very honestly in regards to the coaching staff (offense).

wow there's some insight! how much did all of those has-been fat water jockeys pay you to drop their names? who cares what they say? oh that's right, YOU DO! go sniff some nickers.

why do you keep arguing with me? aren't you tired of being wrong? i see you're stooping to the level of taking my comments out of context to try and aid your arguement. there is talent on the browns. i never said there was alot, but there's enough that if a damn hc played to win every week like he did against ne and no we would have more than 5 wins. the same crap people like myself are criticizing mangini for is the same things ny fans complained about. the guy is stubborn, stuck in his ways and insists on doing things the same way. when mangini was hired by lerner, mangini brought in a bunch of puppets he could control instead bringing in proven vets that could help a young hc. that was his first mistake. he hasn't even learned from his mistakes with the jets. if you want to drink that sewer water mangini is selling, then do so. we can agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Yeah, I'm done arguing about Mangini with you guys. It is easy to blame Mangini for a lot of the problems and he does deserve some of it. But what I remember more vividly are players' mistakes like costly fumbles from Hillis, Stuckey, and MoMass or interceptions by Delhomme (which having him starting over Wallace, I didn't agree with Mangini on). You guys wanting Mangini gone because we lost some close games should probably think real hard about if we would have been in the close games with another coach to begin with.

You know what sad here is that these are Mangini "type" players.

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch, moan, moan, moan, moan. Who's fault is it. Players, Coaches, GM, President. WHO CARES!!!! We are 5-10, we have sucky players that we are going to get rid of, good players we are going to try and resign, coaches deserving a firing who will get one and some coaches who don't deserve one who probably will too. You guys don't even discuss what's happening you are just cracking jokes at peoples on the team's expense to expand your kick said coach/player off the team agenda.

Oh and Hillis did have alot of fumbles this year, but without him we have 2 wins max and those of you who are bitching about him were praising him just weeks ago. It's no wonder we can't keep any coach/half way decent player here because as soon as something bad happens you guys all turn on them and call for their heads.

these players have failed their coach more than the coach has failed the players.

Yes if these players really wanted to play hard for this asshole they would....I dont think they love him as much as some in the media portend him to be

Oh and Hillis did have alot of fumbles this year, but without him we have 2 wins max and those of you who are bitching about him were praising him just weeks ago.

You will be hard-pressed to find me giving Hillis much praise. The Oline on the other hand is a different story. RBs are the most overrated players in the NFL. Hillis is pretty well rounded but he has failed at the most important part of being a RB, holding on to the football. I know this will be an unpopular opinion on here but he really isn't anything that we couldn't live without. I'm guessing most NFL RBs could put up 4.4 without the 8 fumbles behind our line.

Harbaugh most certainly has an interest in easily out coaching mangini and winning 2 games a year and tomlin does as well, keeping the weeni around is in everyone in the AFCNs best interest except the browns, holmgren has given mangini way more of a fair shot than many believed he would get and he simply lost games he should have won with over conservative and downright bad decisions..

People can scream that its bad talent all they want but with my own eyes i have seen a bad system that fails to utilize the talent we have and lacks creative thinking and we have completely missing playsets from our playbook, we frankly look and play like a pop warner football team...

And before we get into its all on daboll thing..its not, mangini brought dabs in for the sole purpose of running the teams offense the way he wanted, well he failed with an F-, mangini is a worse student than he is a coach and to locked into his bad system to ever take this team where it wants to go, its far better to cut our losses now and hope for a better tomorrow than it is to accept mangini's mediocre and idiotic ways and lose for 2 more seasons before firing him and starting again..

This team needs a firey offensive HC that doesnt accept losing as part of his process, we have a middle of the pack base to build off of and we have a damn good GM to add the players to improve now we need a coach and staff that can think and adjust on the field to produce wins and mangini isnt that guy...

Mangini will never take any team beyond the first level of playoffs due to having a knack of beating himself, as a matter of fact he may never coach in the nfl again...

And god help the sucker team and its fans if he does..maybe the bungles will replace lewis with mangini? Muhahahahaha!

You, as Pittspuke fan, are talking about Mangini being a "couple of easy division wins a year"? Let's not forget, that Mangini split with your Steelers last season. And they've only played once this season. Your comment is a bit premature don't you think? But then...I would expect nothing less from a steelersfag.

John Harbaugh is a whiny putz. He's so ridiculously self absorbed and easily second for my "most hated coaches" in the league. Bellicheat and his expressionless auto pilot drives me just a tick more nuts. You should have listened to Harbaugh after the loss to the Steelers. Tomlin is at least giving credit where credit is due and Harbaugh is acting like it was the Ravens that beat themselves and had nothing to do with the Steelers punishing defense and his piss poor play calling in the clutch.

I know I am in the minority but I hope we keep Mangini. There are concerns but over all this team is getting better. There is not a coach out there that will turn this team into a winner any faster then Mangini. We change coaches again and you will hear " This will take a while give me 2-3 years"! Bring in a new OC and let the growing continue.

Archived