THE BROWNS BOARD

The WCO, McCoy, and YAC WRs

shepwrite

I thought about starting another thread but knew that the POL Leec would delete it. My question is whether the west coast offense suites our division. We are in a black and blue division with very bad weather during the playoffs. Is the west coast offense suited for playing in Cleveland snow and winter winds, and is it a good offense to attack the steelers and ravens? My experience is that a smart physical team usually dominates a finesse team.

What teams have recently won superbowls running the west coast offense?

Is the west coast offense suited for playing in Cleveland snow and winter winds, and is it a good offense to attack the steelers and ravens? My experience is that a smart physical team usually dominates a finesse team.

Weather is irrelevant - Green Bay and Philly run this offense, and they're pretty good football teams. I think we can pick on every offense out there and ask if that offense has recently won a Super Bowl. Seattle and Philly went to Super Bowls in 05 and 06, and Tampa Bay in 03.

As you know the teams that win Super Bowls do it as a team, not because of one side of the ball over the other (unless you're talking about BAL.)

The WCO is just one side of the ball, and is probably better than anything we have seen in CLE since Bernie Kosar. And I am not sure I call the WCO a finesse offense.

Hey whatever we are doing now isn't working.

Without a legit star at #1 WR, and without a legit RT, in this division, no offensive system will work.

I see those two problems addressed in the top 4 picks.

Without a legit star at #1 WR, and without a legit RT, in this division, no offensive system will work.

I see those two problems addressed in the top 4 picks.

Well, weren't we supposed to have addressed those problems in top 4 picks when we took Robo and MoMass in the 2e round and Shaun Lauvao in the third with recent drafts?

The answer of cours is yes, we addressed those problems.....but did not answer them with those picks.....we don't think. Jury out on Lauvao.

I agree that we need to address them again.

I thought about starting another thread but knew that the POL Leec would delete it. My question is whether the west coast offense suites our division. We are in a black and blue division with very bad weather during the playoffs. Is the west coast offense suited for playing in Cleveland snow and winter winds, and is it a good offense to attack the steelers and ravens? My experience is that a smart physical team usually dominates a finesse team.

I would say the way the Pats won Super Bowls without any real running game was short pass after short pass after short pass... very WCO.

The Raiders, Rams, Cardinals, Packers, and Seahawks ran offenses that were predicated on high percentage passing and crossing routes, three step drops... either literally WCO or very much like it.

Most of the league is playing an offense that looks just like a WCO if you squint.

Well, weren't we supposed to have addressed those problems in top 4 picks when we took Robo and MoMass in the 2e round and Shaun Lauvao in the third with recent drafts?

The answer of cours is yes, we addressed those problems.....but did not answer them with those picks.....we don't think. Jury out on Lauvao.

I agree that we need to address them again. Gip

No. Vauvao is an OG, and our two picks at wr - MoMass and Robo were hardly blue chipper #1's by any wild imagination of anybody.

ELITE blue-chippie wr that makes db's sick, has great hands and is quick to get open, and too fast to be caught from behind....

well, ideally, add high character to the mix.

The patriots won their first championship after getting a power running back. Whether they can win this year really without a legitimate running back remains to be seen.

Every one of those teams you mentioned had a great QB, not a good one. Warner was a great QB but I remember him throwing downfield quite a bit. Well Seattle didn't have a great QB but they had a tremendous running game. Manning throws a lot of short routes so I guess that is a west coast offense too.

It seems to me that we still need the same things we needed before: A great QB, talented receivers, tremendous running back better pass blocking. The three step drops do help with the pass rush making it harder for a team like the steelers/ravens to sack the passer.

When Hasselbeck was in his prime years, he was a Pro Bowler, so I agree.

Also, I'd say the Rams offense was predicated on spreading the field and hitting WRs on crossing routes in stride. Warner doesn't have a big arm. It's pretty WCO-ey. I've heard Martz's offense called WCO-ey before.

Bottom line when you start talking about championship teams, no matter what other variables you're looking at: They almost always have a great quarterback, or at least a quarterback playing at his peak level (Brad Johnson in TB, Pro Bowler).

The patriots won their first championship after getting a power running back. Whether they can win this year really without a legitimate running back remains to be seen.

Every one of those teams you mentioned had a great QB, not a good one. Warner was a great QB but I remember him throwing downfield quite a bit. Well Seattle didn't have a great QB but they had a tremendous running game. Manning throws a lot of short routes so I guess that is a west coast offense too.

It seems to me that we still need the same things we needed before: A great QB, talented receivers, tremendous running back better pass blocking. The three step drops do help with the pass rush making it harder for a team like the steelers/ravens to sack the passer.

No they won it as soon or thereafter they got Tom Brady...The RB in NE's system have had marginal impact in My view.

Archived