THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini A Real Class Act!

ITHIKA

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....eveland_br.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — "Can you win with the Browns?"

That’s what I asked Eric Mangini when speaking with the former Browns coach on Thursday morning.

Actually, I put the question this way, "If someone who had been offered a chance to coach the Browns called you and asked if you could win here, what would you say?"

"Without a doubt, you can win," said Mangini. "I’m not saying it’s going to be easy. The division is a challenge. A real challenge. You have two elite teams (Pittsburgh and Baltimore) and I think Cincinnati can be good again. It’s an uphill battle, but you can do it — especially after the strides we’ve made here."

While there are some things Mangini wishes he’d have changed in his two seasons with the Browns, he believes that many of the things needed to be successful are in place.

"You will find a group of players with discipline who will embrace the new coach and be ready to work every day," he said.

Mangini doesn’t discuss the discipline problems that he faced. He has no regrets trading talented but sometimes troubled players such as Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow. He knows that fans see back-to-back 5-11 records, and they may not appreciate what he and his coaches did to change the attitude and approach of the team.

But he believes the pieces — in terms of the football "culture" — are in place for the Browns to "begin to win consistently."

Mangini believes the new coach won’t have to go through the seemingly endless search for the next Browns quarterback. He shifted between Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson in 2009. Last season, it was Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace and Colt McCoy, who emerged as the starter.

"Colt McCoy has a real opportunity to be the guy," said Mangini. "He is really bright. He handled a situation (starting the season as the No. 3 quarterback then starting in Game 6) that most rookies could not. He faced a tough schedule. He makes good decisions. He is an accurate passer. He also has all the intangibles (leadership, preparation, poise) that you’d want."

Mangini said the Browns must "add receivers and running backs" to help McCoy, but believes you can build an offense around the rookie from Texas.

He added the new coach, "will find players like Peyton Hillis, who are humble, hard-working, guys who stand for the right things. ... One of my disappointments (about being fired) is that we were putting together the kind of team that Browns fans can really relate to."

Good football men

When Mangini arrived at Mike Holmgren’s office Monday morning, he was reasonably sure the Browns president would fire him. The four consecutive losses combined with a 41-9 spanking by Pittsburgh on the last day of the season turned a promising season into a final 5-11 record.

"Mike was very good about it," said Mangini. "He said he had to make change, and I understood his position. Mike said he enjoyed getting to know me, and then said, ’This would be easier if you were a real (jerk).’ "

Mangini thanked Holmgren for his support.

"I mean that," said Mangini. "Mike held up his end of the bargain. He let me coach the team my way. He didn’t interfere. He and (General Manager) Tom (Heckert) are good football men."

Mangini admitted he "was in a tough spot" once Holmgren was named president. He had signed a four-year contract when Owner Randy Lerner hired him before the 2009 season. Mangini hoped it was not a win-now situation, that he could build an organization and install his values.

But the hiring of Holmgren meant the former Green Bay and Seattle coach now had that job of setting the big picture agenda. Mangini was given one more year to prove he should remain as coach. The odds were against him because he was not hired by Holmgren, nor do they come from the same football families and approaches to the game.

Holmgren has always been a coach with the accent on offense and the passing game. Mangini is a defensive guy from the Bill Parcells/Bill Belichick coaching tree.

"The only thing was that I kind of felt like the lame-duck congress," said Mangini. "I knew the situation. We had to get it done right now. That was hard."

But Mangini added that the new coach will have a strong front office to help him.

"I thought we really worked together well on the draft and other things," he said.

He said one of his regrets from 2009 was that the hiring of George Kokinis as general manager "didn’t work out." That led to Kokinis being fired at midseason, "which was a real setback." Mangini admitted that doing both jobs "was too much ... and I had to learn not to get involved in all the details."

More than once, he said how he enjoyed getting back to just coaching this past season, and he especially had high praise for Heckert as general manager.

Loved being in Cleveland

Several times, Mangini talked about his "growth as a person and a coach."

He said he learned that he needed to be "my own person, to do things my way ... not do something just because it worked for someone else."

He was raised in a coaching school that held the media in disdain, and Mangini said, "I wish had I done a better job explaining to the media and the fans what we were trying to do in terms of changing the culture ... and the different steps that it takes. I would encourage the new coach to be more open about that. Let everyone know your vision and plan, and let them know what it takes to get there."

Mangini said he "feels at peace" about his two years in Cleveland.

"I wish we had won more games," he said. "It always hurts to get fired. But I did stick with what I believe in, and those things will help the next coach."

In the last week, Mangini has been taking his two sons (ages 6 and 4) to school.

"I went out to eat, I went to the mall ... not sure when was the last time that I went to the mall," he said. "I’m not embarrassed. I’m not hiding in the house. I am running into fans everywhere, and they are super. I sense there is a growing excitement and optimism about the Browns. They are becoming relevant again."

He talked about all the players who have contacted him, who have thanked him. He has been contacted about some coaching jobs, and is open to that. But added that he is "intrigued" by the possibility of working in the front office.

Mangini paused, then spoke with passion, his voice breaking a bit.

"I loved being in Cleveland," he said. "The people here have been great to me and my family. The friendships will mean a lot to me and my family. The fans here are great. I’m not the coach, but I am cheering for this team. I want them to consistently succeed for a long time. I really mean that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry to see him go. This team was severely lacking in common sense and class and he brought it in a big way. I also happen to think he's a good coach and will be successful wherever he lands.

I am sorry to see him go. This team was severely lacking in common sense and class and he brought it in a big way. I also happen to think he's a good coach and will be successful wherever he lands.

I'm with you. What really pisses me off is that everytime I hear one of them douche bag radio/TV guys talk about the what we need in the next head coach; they are explaining Mangini to a "T"!!! Holmgren better have a plan because it is going to be hard to improve on a guy like Mangini. I urge everyone to go back and watch any game from 99-2008 and then watch 2010 (2009 was little more than damage control) and tell me he didn't make enormous strides changing the culture, attitude, and team chemistry. Which, in my opinion, is EXACTLY how you build a consistant winner. Once those things are in place, you can infuse talent. We started that last year with Haden, Ward, McCoy, Brown, and Hillis. One more off-season with Mangini and we would have had a long-term competitive team. Now, it's anyone's guess what will happen but I do know that firing him was the wrong move.

The good news is, he finally established something here and has made the next coach's job WAAAAAAAAAY easier than it was for him when he arrived. The player's alone have learned what it takes to be pro football players and that will help the next guy out tremendously.

Mangini is a good man who will be missed. He transformed a "crowd" into a TEAM & that alone was a tremendous accomplishment.

I wish him good luck.

Mike

Put him in the front office. A guy like Mangini would be great to keep with the Browns in some capacity.

Yeah calfox, afterall he did a great job in the front office his first year here..Muhahahahaha

Lets put him in charge of college scouting so he can booger the team up for 5 years trying to build his imaginary dream team instead of the coaches, i dont even want him for a ball boy!

The further away from berea this guy is the better..he has loser and bad luck ingrained into everything he "wants" or tries to do..

I wish eric mangini and his family the best but he isnt going anywhere unless he recreates himself , his philosophy and his thought patterns on some of the very basic things a coach has to do to win in the nfl..

Honestly i honestly question if he could have success as a collegiate coach..

Yeah calfox, afterall he did a great job in the front office his first year here..Muhahahahaha

Lets put him in charge of college scouting so he can booger the team up for 5 years trying to build his imaginary dream team instead of the coaches, i dont even want him for a ball boy!

The further away from berea this guy is the better..he has loser and bad luck ingrained into everything he "wants" or tries to do..

I wish eric mangini and his family the best but he isnt going anywhere unless he recreates himself , his philosophy and his thought patterns on some of the very basic things a coach has to do to win in the nfl..

Honestly i honestly question if he could have success as a collegiate coach..

Okay....you couldn't wait to get Mangini out of here, and he's gone. Now what?? I'm not sold on Holmgren being the saviour. If, by the end of next season, we are 5 - 11 again, are you ready to fire Holmgren's ass? I was in favor of giving Mangini more time, up until the game against Pissburg. I really believe at some point before the Buffalo game, the players found out that Mangini was gone....no matter what happened. You could see the difference in the intensity of their play....I think they knew it didn't matter, and he knew it. You can kick Mangini all you want, but I personally saw the difference in motivation, penalties, and intensity once Mangini came in here. The defensive play was better....the whole team looked better. It was no fluke....beating the New England and New Orleans. I have no idea why are so bitter against Mangini. I just hope to Hell that Holmgren turns this team around by next season, or by your standards, it's time to make another change.

"I have to make a change"

I don't like that one bit from Holmgren. It shows insecurity. Getting rid of a good coach because of pressure shows weakness. I know ultimately the fans pay your salary but that doesn't mean you should listen to them. As a whole, they are an ignorant breed that only think one game ahead or behind and do not see the big picture. Sadly, I know the organization made a mistake with this move, my only hope is that Mangini made enough headway for the next coach to be successful.

Its the difference between Cleveland and Pittsburgh..stability..and patience

Giving Mangini 24 months to straighten out the horses**t he took over is really sort of absurd when you think about it.

He had 2 winning seasons in NY and made undeniable progress here in Cleveland..

ITS ON HOLMGREN NOW..THE CLOCK IS TICKING...WIN NOW

REASONING: Holmgren fired Mangini because he felt he didn't win enough games, so he felt that there was enough

talent to win now..so 6 or 7 wins will not be acceptable correct? or does he get to rebuild for 2 years..depressing

We know Mangini tried hard to make this franchise win.

And we thank him for that.

We also know now that he is the one who can leave with class.

There's no discussion: anything less than 8-8 next year is a failure for the Walrus, at least as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm one of those who wanted Mangini to leave.

"I have to make a change"

I don't like that one bit from Holmgren. It shows insecurity. Getting rid of a good coach because of pressure shows weakness. I know ultimately the fans pay your salary but that doesn't mean you should listen to them. As a whole, they are an ignorant breed that only think one game ahead or behind and do not see the big picture. Sadly, I know the organization made a mistake with this move, my only hope is that Mangini made enough headway for the next coach to be successful.

So you have no faith in Holgrem a guy who's taken team to the SB 3 times but your all in love with a sub .500 HC because of some perceived progress he made. Mangini seemed to be a good disciplinarian but not a winner. He had 2 good years in NY based mostly on what he inherited then ran them into the ground.

He wasn't fired because of pressure from fans he was fired because he didn't win.

I like Mangini. He is way better than what he replaced on the field in the personnel decision process. He is the best coach we had since reborn in 99.

Players like to play for him and they play hard and he can be an adequate coach

Now the real question, can he be an elite coach who always has his team in the hunt

Based on so far the answer is no.

The main reason I say this is because Offensively the Browns are vanilla and weak and he does NOT show he has the vision to run a high power offense.

And having a high power offense is the Head Coach's job not the OC

Further Offense wins Championships and ours right now is one of the worst in the league NOT even middle of the pack

The OC and DC reflect the Head Coach and often are given way too much credit for the roles.

That all said, I believe Holmgren wanted to be able to shoot a bigger gun and that is why Mangini is gone. I also believe that Holmgren also believes offense wins championships

I hope Mangini does well, however, I am not upset he is gone unless of course we replace with the likes of Fox or Gruden which is NO potential for improvement

So you have no faith in Holgrem a guy who's taken team to the SB 3 times but your all in love with a sub .500 HC because of some perceived progress he made. Mangini seemed to be a good disciplinarian but not a winner. He had 2 good years in NY based mostly on what he inherited then ran them into the ground.

He wasn't fired because of pressure from fans he was fired because he didn't win.

Are you serious?! Mangini inherited a 4-12 Jets team and made them a 10-6 team in his first year. He had a bad second year and went 9-7 the final year. Brett Favre played terribly and cost Mangini his job. So if 9-7 is running a team into the ground, I would love to be "run into the ground." Why do you think the jets drafted Sanchez with Rex Ryan? Because they didn't have a QB and that was the one big thing missing from their team.

Mangini's big flaw is not being able to judge QB talent. He liked Clemmons, Ratliff, an old Favre under a new system, and Delhomme. Granted, Holmgren brought in Delhomme and also Colt McCoy. That's why I would have stuck with Mangini and got an offensive coordinator that could have helped develop Colt McCoy. That said I trust Holmgren will pick a good coach. But if the next coach fails, (less than 8-8 record next year) then yes I will lose all faith in Holmgren...

Well Holmgren had Montana, Favre and Hasselback

2 HOF'ers and a very good NFL QB

Mangini had Quinn, Anderson, Delhomme, Wallace,Colt

2 guys who were 3rd string in 2010 and out of league in 2011(BQ and DA) a washed up JD, a career back up SW and a 3rd RD ROOKIE draft pick

Comparisions are absurd

So Holmgren and WHOMEVER is the coach should be a play off team in 2011..correct

I like Mangini. He is way better than what he replaced on the field in the personnel decision process. He is the best coach we had since reborn in 99.

Players like to play for him and they play hard and he can be an adequate coach

Now the real question, can he be an elite coach who always has his team in the hunt

Based on so far the answer is no.

The main reason I say this is because Offensively the Browns are vanilla and weak and he does NOT show he has the vision to run a high power offense.

And having a high power offense is the Head Coach's job not the OC

Further Offense wins Championships and ours right now is one of the worst in the league NOT even middle of the pack

The OC and DC reflect the Head Coach and often are given way too much credit for the roles.

That all said, I believe Holmgren wanted to be able to shoot a bigger gun and that is why Mangini is gone. I also believe that Holmgren also believes offense wins championships

I hope Mangini does well, however, I am not upset he is gone unless of course we replace with the likes of Fox or Gruden which is NO potential for improvement

Can you post without spewing your "offense wins championships" crap? I'm not sure its possible :rolleyes:

So Holmgren and WHOMEVER is the coach should be a play off team in 2011..correct

Ideally yes, but if not and the Browns are 9-7 or even 8-8 next year as long as they can beat teams with 1 win or teams who are on a 10 game losing streak that would be acceptable.

Most players coaches and fans want to get to the playoffs. I'm not sure what Manginites want maybe 6-10 or 9-7 while being in or at least AT every game. You'all seem pretty happy w ith back to back 5-11's.

Can you post without spewing your "offense wins championships" crap? I'm not sure its possible :rolleyes:

When you figure out it is true....instead of calling it "sprewing.... crap".......I wont have to say it anymore.

Gotta teach the kids what brings winning........your support is needed!!

Maybe you'll get it some day, until then peace bro

There is so much that is incorrect in this statement that I honestly don't know where to start.

My opinion and assumptions are no more wrong than yours. You mentioned the big picture. The big picture is wins and losses, your record.

First off, the team he ran into the ground went to the playoffs the year after he was let go in which he had a winning record.

Second, I have faith in Holmgren although he didn't get to any superbowls in the capacity that he is in now. What I said was that it scared me that he thought he had to make a change. Which sounds to me as if he succumbed to the pressure of the fans, who as a whole, are idiots.

Lastly, the big picture is wins and losses? Really? So we were good to go after 2007 with Crennel winning 10 games? I'm glad we are sitting pretty now. The big picture is building a solid foundation, then adding talent and depth to make winning sustainable. What Mangini did with this team is being overlooked by a lot of myopic homers.

First off, the team he ran into the ground went to the playoffs the year after he was let go in which he had a winning record.

Second, I have faith in Holmgren although he didn't get to any superbowls in the capacity that he is in now. What I said was that it scared me that he thought he had to make a change. Which sounds to me as if he succumbed to the pressure of the fans, who as a whole, are idiots.

Lastly, the big picture is wins and losses? Really? So we were good to go after 2007 with Crennel winning 10 games? I'm glad we are sitting pretty now. The big picture is building a solid foundation, then adding talent and depth to make winning sustainable. What Mangini did with this team is being overlooked by a lot of myopic homers.

We can agree on one thing. Fans are idiots.

Myopic homers like the ones that after a 10 win season kept screaming that BQ should become the starter.

After a '07 one could have said that the Browns had turned a corner and winning consistently is now possible with hindsight we see it wasn't. At least they were winning some games. Whos to say that EM's imaginary improvement would continue.

Mike Holmgren knows what building a foundation looks like since he took two teams with no recent history of success to the tune of 3 Super Bowls, has had 5 of his coaches go on to be successful Head Coaches (2 made the Super Bowl), and understands how to put a staff together. He has the Rolodex and the status to get some of the smarter people in football here.

And Eric Mangini attracted Rob Ryan and Brian Daboll.

Enough said........

I'm not sure if some of you morons understand that MH went to superbowls as a COACH not PRESIDENT. Its the same as when Savage was. Whatever you say Walrus, yes Walrus, your the greatest Walrus. I'm rooting for the guy, but the best thing he has done to this point is bring Heckertt. Make him earn your respect like you did Mangini. Don't stand there with your mouth open!

I'm not sure if some of you morons understand that MH went to superbowls as a COACH not PRESIDENT. Its the same as when Savage was. Whatever you say Walrus, yes Walrus, your the greatest Walrus. I'm rooting for the guy, but the best thing he has done to this point is bring Heckertt. Make him earn your respect like you did Mangini. Don't stand there with your mouth open!

That is fine but if I am going to get into a battle of wits with regards to building a foundation for winning football here in Cleveland, I am going to trust the guy that did it not once, but TWICE. And he was front and center on those rebuilding projects. Coach, president, whatever - he has much more experience and worthy of more trust than Mangini.

So you can throw around the term "morons" all you want, it still doesn't change the fact that if given a choice, most "non-moron" fans trust the guy with more experience and hands on decision making skills turning around a franchise.

I don't blindly trust him, but I am no going to beat the guy up for sacking a coach who lost 22 games in 2 seasons here.

That is fine but if I am going to get into a battle of wits with regards to building a foundation for winning football here in Cleveland, I am going to trust the guy that did it not once, but TWICE. And he was front and center on those rebuilding projects. Coach, president, whatever - he has much more experience and worthy of more trust than Mangini.

So you can throw around the term "morons" all you want, it still doesn't change the fact that if given a choice, most "non-moron" fans trust the guy with more experience and hands on decision making skills turning around a franchise.

I don't blindly trust him, but I am no going to beat the guy up for sacking a coach who lost 22 games in 2 seasons here.

Ok.....like I said I'm rooting for him too. But he is part of 1 losing season here in place where you only get 2. Now I ask what has he done to this point that you brag to people about? I'll wait........

Archived