THE BROWNS BOARD

Dave Wannstedt in the running for Browns defensive coordinator

ITHIKA

Wannstedt has a SB ring as DC for the Cowboys in 92. Seems like he'd be a fine choice for DC if we have to run the 4-3 he'd probable be the best guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...ve-coordinator/

Dave Wannstedt could be making his return to the NFL as defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

We’ve previously noted that Wannstedt was looking to get back into the NFL, and that the Browns were one of the teams that could be interested. Now Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer reports that Wannstedt will interview this week for Cleveland’s defensive coordinator vacancy.

Dick Jauron is also expected to interview in Cleveland this week.

Wannstedt, who was recently fired as head coach at the University of Pittsburgh, has also talked to the Bills and may interview for a job on the Chargers’ coaching staff. Wannstedt was defensive coordinator of the Cowboys from 1989 to 1992 and the Dolphins in 1999, and he was head coach of the Bears from 1993 to 1998 and the Dolphins from 2000 to 2004.

Puke! Wannstedt is a terrible head coach. Pittsburgh (college) constantly underachieved with him and Chicago and Miami sucked while he coached them... Remember it was in 2002 when miami lost down the stretch to finish 9-7, lose the division tiebraker to the jets, and lose the last wildcard spot to cleveland 9-7. This made me extremely happy at the time, and I have never forgotton how lousy he is. I also live in Illinois so I saw him coach the bears for a while. I would pick Jauron (also a former bears coach) or anyone over Wannstedt in a heartbeat...

Plenty of coaches aren't great head coaches but do find success as Coordinators. I'd say he's as good a option as any for a defensive Coordinator and he's certainly a motivator. The Panthers underachieved this season but they also had a few pretty substantial injuries that I believe led to his early demise. I can't say I was happy when he was fired but someone has to hit the chopping block every once in a while.

i'm on the fence here. i really haven't followed his career as much as some here, but i can say that i liked his 'get-in a-guy's-face' and scream attitude.

there have been alot of guys that haven't made it as head coaches but are solid when it comes to coaching a specific position. look at mike tice now. what about dom capers. singletary will probably get picked as a positional coach again on a defense.

and if we got people on here already worried about someone who might get offered a coordinator job becoming a head coach here............wow, we are getting a little ahead of ourselves.

The guy took a 9-7 Bears team and turned it into a 4-12 Team.

He took an 11-5 Miami team and reduced it o to 4-12.

Please, please, please ... I beg Lerner, Holmgren, and the ghost of Christmas past, please look elsewhere.

Please, please, please ... I beg Lerner, Holmgren, and the ghost of Christmas past, please look elsewhere.

He is not going to be a head coach he is going to be a coordinator. As a coordinator he has done very well and I am not against hiring him.

You need to separate Wannstedt the HC from Wannstedt the DC. Because someone sucked as a HC doesn't mean they can't be a good DC or OC.

During those years as a HC - the defense of those teams were not as nearly as horrid as the record indicates. As bad as a rap as he had gotten - he had truly turned around that Pitt program - built defense in a strong conference. I would be honored to have him as a DC. The more, and more I listen to Shurmur, the more and more I feel he is going to be the right man to build through OL, QB, etc. - Dave can focus on Defense, and just defense. Winning on THAT side of the ball.

Ok, enlighten me ... what are the facts? Why should we hire this guy?

Because the guy rode on the bus with a Dallas Cowboy team that fielded like 11 Pro Bowlers, 22 years ago? Or a stacked Miami Hurricane team 25 years ago? WTF has he done successfully in the past 20 years?

This is a horrible hire ... just horrible. F'ing A, Mangini's done more in coordinator positions since Wannstedt last tasted any personal accomplishment.

He's a household name ... insert golf clap.

This shit is getting old.

Because the guy rode on the bus with a Dallas Cowboy team that fielded like 11 Pro Bowlers, 22 years ago? Or a stacked Miami Hurricane team 25 years ago? WTF has he done successfully in the past 20 years?

This is a horrible hire ... just horrible. F'ing A, Mangini's done more in coordinator positions since Wannstedt last tasted any personal accomplishment.

He's a household name ... insert golf clap.

This shit is getting old.

Don't hire/fire someone on information that doesn't pertain to their job. He IS a good coordinator so push him to the side because he was a bad head coach. Same thing with people saying Mangini should have been fired because of his bad 09 draft even though he already had GM duties taken away from him.

He never led Miami to a 4-12 record. He had 4 winning seasons then one horrible one in which he was let go in the middle of the season. He also had 4 seasons at .500 before the Bears went downhill. You made it sound like he took over great teams and ruined them. While Wannstedt is never going to win CotY honors he wasn't as horrible as you made him out to be. Also, he is being interviewed for the DC position so I really don't know why any of that is relevant to begin with.

Damn am i really having to choose between Wannstedt and Jauron but you gotta give them a chance as a DC, they were terrible head coaches but that dosent mean they cant be good Defensive Coordinators...I believe Romeo did pretty well in KC this year with his defense and he was trash here, but id like to see some other guys get a look at DC then some older guys i like the young guys who no one really knows about that are good defensive position coaches....

Don't hire/fire someone on information that doesn't pertain to their job. He IS a good coordinator so push him to the side because he was a bad head coach. Same thing with people saying Mangini should have been fired because of his bad 09 draft even though he already had GM duties taken away from him.

Has Wannstache been a DC in the past twenty years?

The guy was an offensive lineman when he played the game, right? Probably switched over and coached the DL because of a void in the coaching staff. Rode Jimmy Johnsons jock-strap to a DC position and benefitted from the Hershal Walker trade that loaded the Cowboys 20 years ago. Some moron thought it was to his credit and gave him a head coaching job on Johnsons recommendation. He inherited teams flirting with the playoffs, not down-ridden franchises. He left them down-ridden franchises though and miraculously landed even more head coaching positions.

Now you guys want to say, "Yeah, but he would be a great Coordinator!"

Why would Wannstache be a great coordinator? Has he developed a scheme that others used as a staple for the past twenty years? Was he innovated in ANY way? What is he known for? I read someone give him credit for recruiting High School boys in Western PA ... can I get a bowl of soup with that recommendation?

Don't post again about Wannstache being a DC unless you can add substance to your post to support it. Why would he be a great DC, because he sucked as a head coach, and lost his players at every turn?

Can't tell if that's sarcasm. In case it isn't, I am sure he wouldn't take a demotion from the same team. I could see him going elsewhere though for the gig.

no. i'm pretty sure that is sarcasm. like mangini would want anything to do with holmgren ever again, except to bring a team into cleveland and beat the snot out of us...........sorta like this year dousing the pats and being 2 mins away from beating the jets.

Has Wannstache been a DC in the past twenty years?

The guy was an offensive lineman when he played the game, right? Probably switched over and coached the DL because of a void in the coaching staff. Rode Jimmy Johnsons jock-strap to a DC position and benefitted from the Hershal Walker trade that loaded the Cowboys 20 years ago. Some moron thought it was to his credit and gave him a head coaching job on Johnsons recommendation. He inherited teams flirting with the playoffs, not down-ridden franchises. He left them down-ridden franchises though and miraculously landed even more head coaching positions.

Now you guys want to say, "Yeah, but he would be a great Coordinator!"

Why would Wannstache be a great coordinator? Has he developed a scheme that others used as a staple for the past twenty years? Was he innovated in ANY way? What is he known for? I read someone give him credit for recruiting High School boys in Western PA ... can I get a bowl of soup with that recommendation?

Don't post again about Wannstache being a DC unless you can add substance to your post to support it. Why would he be a great DC, because he sucked as a head coach, and lost his players at every turn?

Stan and Ghoolie are right on the money with this...this guy blows donkey balls.

It looks to me Holmgren is trying to bring in someone who has had head coaching experience.....even if that experience has been a poor one.

Unless we are looking to bring in someone who is currently with the Bears, Packers, Steelers, or Jets, I am getting the feeling people are telling us they aren't interested.

Pretty soon we will be checking out other teams quality control coaches for the position.

Many good/great coaches can not transition from coordinator to head coach. Dave is ultra-conservative, so if you are looking for flashly/aggressive playcalling he's not the guy for you. He can put together a solid defensive scheme, but when the games on the line Prevent D is the name of his game. Personally, I think he is a downgrade from Rob Ryan. Dick Jauron appears to me to be more the same flavor as Dave Wannstedt.

As for Dave's recruiting, to me if you can't put a winning product on the field, you can't convince me the guys an excellent recruiter. They only have 17 hours a week to game plan in college, so it boils down to talent moreso than to scheme. I think there have been 3 or 4 drafts over the past decade where ESPN praised Cleveland for their astute drafting...well you can see how that turned out for the most part.

If we hire wannstadt I'll have a xxxxin kinipshin...ultra conservative is being nice in describing his coaching style.

Archived