THE BROWNS BOARD

Franchise QBs

BendMeOver

Colt McCoy was a 3rd round draft pick, if he turns out to a QB half as good as Brady you have a steal. If you draft a QB in the first round, keeping McCoy as a project/back-up is not going to kill you. You guys held on to Brady Quinn too long. There were rumours (and I'll grant you it was by no means a definate thing) that you could've good fairly good compensation in a Quinn trade (i.e. late 1st or 2nd rounder) before you ruined it and actually put him into the game. I'm sure you could probably trade Colt McCoy for at worst a 4th round pick.

I'm not sold that Andrew Luck is staying in school, at least until he is a no-show at the combine. I'm sure there are agents trying to convince him right now that he's making a terrible mistake. This could be the last year without a rookie salary scale, and he is likely throwing away over $40M in guaranteed money. I also believe the Panthers would trade out of the top spot for the right deal, and with your 6th position overall, you are not that far away. My guess is Rivera (being of the defensive mindset) will want to improve defense first and he can probably still get his guy at a lower spot and pay less for him by trading out. If Luck goes into the draft, the 49'ers will definately be the team with the most apparent interest in him.

Further, I don't think your defense is that far off. You showed flashes this year of being an elite team defensively. That tells me you are one-two players away from where you need to be. Offensively, you still need some work, but you are putting together what seems to be a solide offensive line, Hillis just needs a complementary back and 1 or 2 wideouts. If you draft a QB this year that puts you maybe 2-3 years from contention.

I suggested earlier that you guys needed Cowher (as it would really refuel the rivalry between our two cities), but more importantly, Cowher can get you wins without the franchise QB. He got the Steelers to the AFC championship with Kordell Stewart, excuse me Kordell FREAKING Stewart. Name me one other coach in the history of this league who could've accomplished that feat. Brian Billick probably is the closest to Cowher in that feat (winning w/out a QB), but he could only do it once.

You act like Kordell Stewart was/is a bum. Kordell Stewart was one of the most athletically gifted players in the NFL during that time and the minute he started screwing up on the field the city turned on him. Pittsburgh does expect a degree of excellence. Add in the gay rumors that surfaced and it quickly became a nightmare scenario whether it was right or wrong. Bill Cowher will also never Coach the Cleveland Browns. He's said exactly that in the media. He said as long as the Rooney's are owners of the Pittsburgh Steelers he'll never coach a team in the AFC North.

A gifted athlete and a QB are two different things. Kordell would've been an excellent wide-out but he insisted on playing QB. He might've even been talked about as being HOF worthy had he switched positions. Whether or not Kordell was gay really has no impact on whether or not he could QB. Neil O'Donnell was light years ahead of Kordell in terms of understanding the QB position.

I understand the logistics of acquiring Cowher are not easy, but by no means do I believe they are insurmountable. If Cleveland really wanted him, it could've been done. Cowher would've had to have been the highest paid coach in history. I also think at the end of the day, the Rooney's would give there blessing if he discussed it with them, as it would've refueled the rivalry, and the Rooney's will encourage things that are good for the league as a whole. There's also the matter of Holmgren and I don't think those two could ever work together after Super Bowl XL. Anyways, Cowher is really irrelevant to the original discussion of QBs, other than he's a coach who can win without one, and probably the best coach in the history of the league at doing so.

Thank you and you are absolutely correct outside of the "looking for things to critique" which I obviously don't do. If the doubters would do some statistical research they'd see that Ben is near the top in a lot of key categories specifically Yards per attempt which for the biggest stat guys is one of if not the most important stat for a QB. He's a beast and that's the bottom line. His style allows for more sacks and possibly more injury but there is no other QB in the league that improvises in the manner that he does and the man gets it DONE. His style is completely unique in the NFL and the only other QB that plays with similar style is also still in the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers. Only he's not 6'5, 240 and damn hard to bring down.

Ben is elite. End of story.

No doubt pig ben views himself as an elitist..most sociopathic rapists do.

I'm callin BS on this one!

If Hitler and Charles Manson could make a winner in Cleveland you would love them. Not to mention, if Ben played in Cleveland you wouldn't have such an irrational feeling about him, you wouldn't be assuming his guilt based on zero evidence.

Now that Favre guy?......he's a real sleaze ball!

You can call bs all you want.. obviously we have different views on who we want our role models to be.

I do like the comparison you made though with bigben, hitler and charles manson....

The point is that Browns fans convict Ben because he is a Steeler, the immortal Jim Brown is one of the biggest scumbags ever to play football and he is a hero in Cleveland. Shaun Rogers is a criminal but you all love him. If you wore the rose colored glass for Ben the way to do a Browns player, Ben should sue the world for the horrible injustice!

Again, jim brown is not my hero.. great running back but a dueche..

Where dd I ever say I loved rogers?

Bigben, great qb, but like arod, people love to hate him.. do I hate him more that he plays for the steelers? Absolutely!

You act like Kordell Stewart was/is a bum. Kordell Stewart was one of the most athletically gifted players in the NFL during that time and the minute he started screwing up on the field the city turned on him. Pittsburgh does expect a degree of excellence. Add in the gay rumors that surfaced and it quickly became a nightmare scenario whether it was right or wrong. Bill Cowher will also never Coach the Cleveland Browns. He's said exactly that in the media. He said as long as the Rooney's are owners of the Pittsburgh Steelers he'll never coach a team in the AFC North.

The problem for Kordell Stewart was Cowher tried to make him a pocket passer it seemed...So due to Cowhers conservative nature he was doomed...Some guys are just better on the run...By the same token...Scrambling on every down is a dangerouse way to live....Had Cowher not tried to tinker with him...I think he wouldve gone alot farther.

So now we look at Colt McCoy. At times he looked like he has the potential to be more than a position warmer. Does he have the potential to turn the fortunes of your franchise around, or will you pass on another future star at that position under similar reasoning to that which Dan Rooney used in 1983? Cam Newton may be available to you this year, especially if Andrew Luck changes his mind. So how do you feel about your QB position?

Passing on Ben was ok considering who we drafted. KW2 was a great player and if not for his motorcycle accident would have been a cornerstone for the Browns. Unfortunately we did not have the advantage of hind sight. Passing on Sanchez was logical considering we had a good armed Anderson and a "hot prospect" in Brady Quinn. How was Mangini to know either of them would be bad ? He did what was right. He traded down to get a top center which was a need. Now we have one less need.

We feel comfortable with colt being our starter and Luck being in college for another year :-).

Passing on Ben was ok considering who we drafted. KW2 was a great player and if not for his motorcycle accident would have been a cornerstone for the Browns. Unfortunately we did not have the advantage of hind sight. Passing on Sanchez was logical considering we had a good armed Anderson and a "hot prospect" in Brady Quinn. How was Mangini to know either of them would be bad ? He did what was right. He traded down to get a top center which was a need. Now we have one less need.

We feel comfortable with colt being our starter and Luck being in college for another year :-).

They were bad befoe Mandoodoo got here.

Sorry, you have your years seriously mixed up, neither DA or Quinn were on the team. Um, the Browns had end of the line Jeff Garcia, Kelly Holcomb, and Luke McCown as quarterbacks in 2004, and we give up a second round pick to take a tight End?

Tony Gonzalez will go down as the greatest TE in history, and is a lock HOFer. Ozzie Newsome is the Browns all-time leader in that department, already in the HOF- and what characteristic do they both share? ZERO Super Bowls. A TE is a nice complimentary piece if you have one- but not a necessity to get to the big dance.

Sorry, you have your years seriously mixed up, neither DA or Quinn were on the team. Um, the Browns had end of the line Jeff Garcia, Kelly Holcomb, and Luke McCown as quarterbacks in 2004, and we give up a second round pick to take a tight End?

Tony Gonzalez will go down as the greatest TE in history, and is a lock HOFer. Ozzie Newsome is the Browns all-time leader in that department, already in the HOF- and what characteristic do they both share? ZERO Super Bowls. A TE is a nice complimentary piece if you have one- but not a necessity to get to the big dance.

Great call...

Archived