THE BROWNS BOARD

You be the GM. Who do you draft with the #5 pick for the Browns?

TK39

Who do you draft with the #5 pick for the Browns?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Brown's Draft Posibilities

• Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    • Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
    • Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    • Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    • Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
    • Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    • James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
    • Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
    • Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

the shelf life of a RB is far too short to justify using a top-10 pick on one. RBs play until they're 30, while guys at pretty much every other position can play five years longer than that.

a good LB is definitely worth a top-5 pick. if there's a sure-fire DE, he's likely the best option, but so many DEs flop in the NFL that it's, i think, too risky of a position to draft that high.

you have to play both ends of risk/reward when you're drafting high enough that it necessitates a sizable financial comittment.

and patrick willis is the highest impact player on the niners. dude's an animal, really the only guy they have that opposing OCs need to account for on every play and work to minimize.

split carries

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our offense was a mess...but I think we have most of the players we need to make it work...we just need them coached up.

On the defensive side, we DON'T have the players. So I say we need to go defense.

Looking at the players, I think we are solid in the secondary...not spectacular, but solid. They gave up a lot of big plays...but I think that is due more to the fact there was no pass rush...and the OUTSIDE run was killing us.

I think we need two positions. DE and ILB (OLB will be fixed I think with real 3-4 DE's).

The players I keep coming back to are:

Michael Johnson, DE - he will give us our FIRST REAL DE...all the guys we have are more DT size and too slow.

Rey Maualuga, ILB - he worries me. he is not great in coverage and over-pursues. great hitter, but to what expense?

Brian Orakpo, OLB - again, we have Wimbley and Hall and I think fixing the DE position will fix this by keeping the OT's off of our OLB's

James Laurinaitis, OLB/ILB - He is a nice player...but 5th is too high for him

Aaron Curry, OLB - he is listed as an OLB, but several scouts have mentioned he has the ability to play ANY of the LB positions...in EITHER the 3-4 or 4-3

I think the fact that Curry also brings the wood, and is versatile enough to fill in at any position in EITHER defensive base, makes him the logical choice. It allows us to take our time with some of our other players (Bell, Hall) to find out if they pan out before ditching them.

Maualuga basically ends the Beau Bell era before it starts. Orakpo displaces either Hall or Wimbley.

The only other player I may take up that high is Johnson at DE....he is a force and a DE that can play in either front as well.

I will be willing to make a choice around April 15..........unless soemthing vastly more clear occurs before then. But this team is vastly short on offensive skill players so that is where i would look first especially at Running Back

Our offense was a mess...but I think we have most of the players we need to make it work...we just need them coached up.

On the defensive side, we DON'T have the players. So I say we need to go defense.

Looking at the players, I think we are solid in the secondary...not spectacular, but solid. They gave up a lot of big plays...but I think that is due more to the fact there was no pass rush...and the OUTSIDE run was killing us.

I think we need two positions. DE and ILB (OLB will be fixed I think with real 3-4 DE's).

The players I keep coming back to are:

Michael Johnson, DE - he will give us our FIRST REAL DE...all the guys we have are more DT size and too slow.

Rey Maualuga, ILB - he worries me. he is not great in coverage and over-pursues. great hitter, but to what expense?

Brian Orakpo, OLB - again, we have Wimbley and Hall and I think fixing the DE position will fix this by keeping the OT's off of our OLB's

James Laurinaitis, OLB/ILB - He is a nice player...but 5th is too high for him

Aaron Curry, OLB - he is listed as an OLB, but several scouts have mentioned he has the ability to play ANY of the LB positions...in EITHER the 3-4 or 4-3

I think the fact that Curry also brings the wood, and is versatile enough to fill in at any position in EITHER defensive base, makes him the logical choice. It allows us to take our time with some of our other players (Bell, Hall) to find out if they pan out before ditching them.

Maualuga basically ends the Beau Bell era before it starts. Orakpo displaces either Hall or Wimbley.

The only other player I may take up that high is Johnson at DE....he is a force and a DE that can play in either front as well.

Good stuff John.

No interest in Beans?

Good stuff John.

No interest in Beans?

I am not a big fan of the BIG running back. I like the guys that are around 6' and 215. If you look at all the STUD RB's in the league....guys around that size are pretty dominant. It is pretty rare for the BIG guys to be at the top for long as they tend to take more of a beating. So, to me, Beans would be a 5yr rental at best before he starts losing it.

I say we go for a guy with speed and moves a bit later (Myron Lucky?) who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well. I would also like to see the Browns move Cribbs to the RB position (he was projected as a RB by many talent evaluators when he came out).

Imagine a backfield of Quinn at QB, Cribbs at RB, with Harrison at the slot. How do you defend that? Even if you give the ball to Cribbs....it still is a legit passing option.

I am not a big fan of the BIG running back. I like the guys that are around 6' and 215. If you look at all the STUD RB's in the league....guys around that size are pretty dominant. It is pretty rare for the BIG guys to be at the top for long as they tend to take more of a beating. So, to me, Beans would be a 5yr rental at best before he starts losing it.

I say we go for a guy with speed and moves a bit later (Myron Lucky?) who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well. I would also like to see the Browns move Cribbs to the RB position (he was projected as a RB by many talent evaluators when he came out).

Imagine a backfield of Quinn at QB, Cribbs at RB, with Harrison at the slot. How do you defend that? Even if you give the ball to Cribbs....it still is a legit passing option.

I think we have our speed guy in here already and most teams have 2 RBs now. The day of having only 1 starting caliber RB is over imo. We need to get a big guy to pair up with Harrison. Also Id like to see us sign Sproles given the chance, having him on the team would be great. The guy just makes plays when he needs to. Also I assume your talking about Michael Johnson for the DE? I highly doubt he has the size to play DE in a 3-4 set and even so. #5 is a big reach for him.

If Crabtree is still available at 5, you get him. No questions. Crabtree is nowhere near the level of CJ in Detroit - and my money still says he'll take a season to adapt to NFL speed. If you're worried about paying Crabtree and Edwards.. don't. Crabtree will be ready in 2010, Edwards can be traded next offseason.

We have spent many first rounders on defense in the past few years - and they still can't generate a pass rush. Be realistic - even with Orakpo or Curry, now we have the first player they need to double-team. The O-line is solid; stop worrying about it. They need a RB who's younger than my dad and a respectable passing game.. and voila, only 7 in the box.

The defensive backfield is actually relatively solid - however, they look bad because the pass rush never starts. Getting a CB wouldn't change much.

If the new GM can fleece the Cowboys again (perhaps: Edwards for Dallas' first and second round this year plus second round next year) Crabtree and Johnson would look great in brown.

You don't take a wide receiver like Crabtree with a pick that high unless you plan on trading Braylon Edwards, you would be paying 2 receiver approx. 15-20 million dollars and how many rookie receivers make a impact their 1st year

Also how many linebackers have been drafted in the top 5 that have made a impact, remember all the hype about A.J Hawk and what he did at Ohio State, well Hawk as become nothing more than a average linebacker at Green Bay nothing special so I would not draft any linebacker with a top 5 pick, now if you want to trade down to get addional picks I am all for drafting Rey Rey he is the only linebacker who could be a impact player/playmaker ASAP, I see Curry as a good linebacker but not a type of player who will be a game changer. I don't see any linebacker in this draft class coming in like a Shawn Merriman and I don't believe IMO you spend a draft choice in the top 5 on any inside linebacker. Willis with the 49ers is a good inside LB but how much impact has he made on the 49ers defense.

When drafting top 5 I feel you look only at QB, RB, LT CB or pass rushing DE for a 4-3 defense

Exactly we trade down and still get Rey. I wouldnt be angry If we chose Curry too. But Rey fits our needs better..

Duh, let's see, the Browns don't have a deep threat, Duh, Aye Don't Know..............

Crabtree. He is a play maker, we don't have a SINGLE playmaker.

WInslow and Edwards need to be gone.

Actually Edwards can get deep, He just can't catch the freaking ball. Hey, the Lions have a great playmaking receiver in Calvin Johnson- now tell me just how many games did they win?

Malcolm Jenkins.

We desperately need a pro level CB.

(Well...we need desperately more than a CB but it would be a good start)

I don't care how good Jenkins is- if you have zero pass rush and you give opposing qbs all day to throw, guys get open eventually.

Are you guys idiots?

The Browns have ZERO skill at positions that touch the football.

ILB? Good grief.

I'm sure Andre Davis reminds you of Brian Urlacher or Mike Singletary. It's a problem Ghoolmeister- a big hairy problem. Shawn Rodgers is doing his job to a T- occupying 2-3 guys an every play. our suckful linebackers should have had 2X the number of sacks they had.

Yall dissin' Edwards Slitherhands and Crip WinSLOW well, ok, the offense didn't exactly light it up- but until we fix the D- or go the unlikely route of the Colts who broke the mold and won the Super Bowl with a lousy defense- we take the best defensive player on the board. Period.

People and pundits yuckked it up when the Texans took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush, but I'd say, (with the patented 20\20 Ghoolie hindsight) they did rather well.

We're talking about an offense that couldn't score a touchdown,we need a game breaker,but I don't think there is one in this draft worthy of a #5 pick.

When was the last time a Browns running back touched the ball and was gone? Lee Suggs? truly a one play wonder

We really need to add that dimension to our offense in order to help take some pressure off the QB.

Maybe we already have someone like that on our roster,I hear some kid by the name of Cribbs has some pretty good wheels and some other kid named Harrison maybe what we need.Maybe the new OC can find some playing time for these guys?

I agree if nobody wows you at the combine (and usually someone always does) then trade down

I don't care how good Jenkins is- if you have zero pass rush and you give opposing qbs all day to throw, guys get open eventually.

I'm with you, the team has to put pressure on opposing QBs or they aren't going to win. The best CBs in the game can't cover when the QB has all day to throw the ball. You can't win every game by 34 - 30. Watch the playoffs this week, evey team has a pressure defense.

I agree if nobody wows you at the combine (and usually someone always does) then trade down

though it's nearly impossible to trade out of the top five, there are a few things working in our favor this year. michael crabtree is the first. if there's some way he falls past seattle, which i think he doesn't, then it's possible we could trade down to whomever wants him at five, because it's almost likely that the raiders would take him at seven. it's unfortunately possible, though, that someone falls in love with him enough to not give seattle the chance and trades with kansas city for their third pick.

another possible scenario is that oakland falls in love with taylor mays enough that they decide to trade up for him if we give the impression that we're very interested in him. from seven, we may be able to trade down again, but then we run the risk of not getting the impact player on defense that we really need, because there's no way aaron curry makes it past the bengals at six.

and rey's not the defensive player we need. he's too inconsistent and disappears too much. frankly, i'd rather laurianitis miscast in the 3-4 as a mike (giving us two teds back there) because he's a consistent playmaker than have rey who runs hot and cold. however, there's a chance we can trade down, pick up extra picks and still get rey, which fits our needs most of all, even though he's not the player i personally want.

If im the new GM the first thing i do look at the roster and shape of the frontoffice and team left to me and have a little pity party for myself then i bang my head against the desk 10 times or so wondering why i was so stupid to step into this mess then i clean house i curse lerner for not doing this in advance..i bring my people in..then meet with the coach and his staff and my head scout to see what they have in mind and start building a firm but fair ruleset and structure for the FO and players alike in accordance with the coaches of course...then we get to the scouting and drafting prospects with coach by my side as a partner..

So as a gm i wouldnt pick alone but if i did i would consider getting rid of edwards ...and taking crabtree..because rey the mauler wont be there at pick 5 and im not gonna try to trade up...

http://profootballgm.weebly.com/voice-of-t...you-stupid.html

This board needs a good laugh. Some times we need to just chill, the season is over for now, once a new coach and GM have been named we can get back to our bashing.

hahahahhahahahahahah see thats not so hard.

Shut the Fook up newbie. Live and learn.

mays from usc ,,he hits like another eric turner ,,and has 4.28 something speed in the 40[if i saw that correctly],,that hit on the psu receiver sticks in my head,, it was called helmet to helmet but on the replay it looked like his shoulder to me..a hitter like that puts the "dawgs" bite back in the defense like the old days...

curry, if he's there. todd mcshea has him going to seattle, but i don't really see that. they already have two decent LBs and more glaring needs at safety, on the o-line, at RB and at WR.

it's worth to note, though, that we're in a great position to get curry.

Don't count out Seattle taking a QB either...Mora isn't tied to hasselback ...that's holmgren's boy

Archived