THE BROWNS BOARD

I can't believe Julio Jones isn't being considered for our first round pick

dawgpound3

He is not as fast as you are giving him credit for. From what I have seen he runs a 4.4 to a 4.45 which isn't anywhere near Jackson speed. Plus I wouldn't say he has decent hands. He did improve his catching last season but I would still say they are around average. Plus he really isn't shifty, he uses his strength more and prefers to be physical. A guy who could take in the first but not worth the 6th pick. If we traded back I would be fine with it.

I think everyone is still gun shy from Braylon Edwards, whom was drafted as high as number 3 that year in 05. Braylon Edwards has buttloads of talents, and I think his problem was that he didn't care enough to play like he played in 2007. He was unmotivated, lacked focus. But man when Braylon was on, he was ON. I don't think that quite the case with Julio here. Julio certainly is a more motivated player, and it shows. He has toughness, and is hard to bring down. He fights for the first down, that extra yard and to be honest with you, I like that quality a lot in a wide receiver. All of the best receivers have that ability and that's why their the best in the league. Just making a case for Julio here.

The ever reliable Wes Welker dropped a league leading 13 passes in the NFL last year. That's a fact.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders...ng&rank=232

So if Julio catches 8 touchdowns a year catches 75 balls, and has average of 1300 yards a year and has 13 dropped passes like Welker. I'll take it.

I think everyone is still gun shy from Braylon Edwards, whom was drafted as high as number 3 that year in 05. Braylon Edwards has buttloads of talents, and I think his problem was that he didn't care enough to play like he played in 2007. He was unmotivated, lacked focus. But man when Braylon was on, he was ON. I don't think that quite the case with Julio here. Julio certainly is a more motivated player, and it shows. He has toughness, and is hard to bring down. He fights for the first down, that extra yard and to be honest with you, I like that quality a lot in a wide receiver. All of the best receivers have that ability and that's why their the best in the league. Just making a case for Julio here.

I understand & appreciate your points. My problem is that we are going to a WCO where drops/deflections can be DISASTROUS. He may be a standout in ANY type offense, but he is also a huge question mark for a WCO. IMHO, too big a question mark for us to chance an early pick for him. That being said, I know NOTHING compared to the Brown's draft gurus, so I'll wait to see what happens. I will tell you that I would spend a later pick on Sanzenbacher. He's tough when the chips are down, but then again he's too slow & too small....sorta like Freddie Biletnikoff.

Mike

I understand & appreciate your points. My problem is that we are going to a WCO where drops/deflections can be DISASTROUS. He may be a standout in ANY type offense, but he is also a huge question mark for a WCO. IMHO, too big a question mark for us to chance an early pick for him. That being said, I know NOTHING compared to the Brown's draft gurus, so I'll wait to see what happens. I will tell you that I would spend a later pick on Sanzenbacher. He's tough when the chips are down, but then again he's too slow & too small....sorta like Freddie Biletnikoff.

Mike

I don't why everybody likes Sanzenbacher. He may be a decent slot receiver at BEST but other than that, he's not that fast, and quick. If the Browns do decide to pass on Julio, could the pick at #38 in the second round be Jonathan Baldwin out of Pitt???

I don't why everybody likes Sanzenbacher. He may be a decent slot receiver at BEST but other than that, he's not that fast, and quick. If the Browns do decide to pass on Julio, could the pick at #38 in the second round be Jonathan Baldwin out of Pitt???

As I stated, I like Sanzenbacher later. He has some special qualities.

I DO like Baldwin over Jones, although there are concerns with him as far as personal/attitude issues. Once again, I'll defer to the experts. I'm just a Fan....a damned hungry, lifelong FAN!

Mike

I like Green then Jones but i dont know if id take him at the 6 overall pick, theres way to many Defense playmakers that will still be on the board and id rather choose them over him...But i do feel like thats a major glaring need desperatly is WR and hope we address it often....If we were to trade back a couple slots id love to grab Jones because im not sold on alot of other WRs in this class....(Hankerson,Baldwin,etc...) theres issues with to many on them, so the way i see it is hit or miss with ethier Green or Jones and then worry about a WR say later rounds....But we really need to get Colt some help and stop defenses from stacking the box which would open some lanes for Hillis....Im a big Justin Blackmon fan and if we miss out on Green this year hope we can nab him next year because hes a beast, he dominated Prince from Nebraska like he was nothing

Actually Sanzenbacher runs like a 4.5 4.55 which isn't much slower than Jones and could actually turn out to be a good option at the slot and since the WCO runs more short drag routes and slant routes he would actually be suited for the job. My only objection would be that we are already going to take a WR regardless and possibly sign a free agent so with one or two more WR we would already have MoMass and Robiskie who the coaches think will flourish in the system as #2's, Mitchel who the front office thinks very highly of, and Cribbs who is good at making yards after the catch. Plus they have Williams and that kid from Penn State that they brought off the practice squad at the end of the season who I think were not let go because the front office/coaches feel that they could contribute in some way. Really no reason to take a late round WR who is only going to be a good slot guy when you got about 3 guys on the team already who can be good slot guys.

As I stated, I like Sanzenbacher later. He has some special qualities.

I DO like Baldwin over Jones, although there are concerns with him as far as personal/attitude issues. Once again, I'll defer to the experts. I'm just a Fan....a damned hungry, lifelong FAN!

Mike

I don't think Baldwin is going to be a very prototypical WCO WR. He isn't really known for YAC and mostly uses his long strides to create separation on longer routes. Plus he does have attitude problems which really isn't that good of a thing when learning a complicates system like the WCO. I think a better option would be Titus Young who is more of a prototypical WCO WR who can separate on short routes with speed while using shorter strides. Of course thought Heckert knows better than me so i trust who ever he takes.

Yeah i like Young>Baldwin and also over Hankerson....Torrey Smith is right there on par with Young for me if i had to decide i like Young a lil better for are Offense

As far as Julio is concerned 40 time is gonna be what makes or breaks him in the Top 10 draft, if he runs under 4.5 then he could most defentily be a top 10 pick..Anything over 4.5 like 4.55 then i see him mid round 1

If we take Jones at 6, then we might as well fire the whole FO and start over. Again.

I agree, we need DL. DL will be the pick GUARANTEED. We won't pick a WR first 3 rounds. We were a run first offense that targeted the TE on passing downs, with the WCO the receivers will be the primary targets. Next year when Robo and MoMass have breakout season's you'll forget you ever wanted to draft Green

I agree, we need DL. DL will be the pick GUARANTEED. We won't pick a WR first 3 rounds. We were a run first offense that targeted the TE on passing downs, with the WCO the receivers will be the primary targets. Next year when Robo and MoMass have breakout season's you'll forget you ever wanted to draft Green

We targeted the TE because our WRs are horrible. The thought that Robo and Mass would make me forget about anyone , let alone Green is comical.

We targeted the TE because our WRs are horrible. The thought that Robo and Mass would make me forget about anyone Green is comical.

We target the TE because's that's what Mangini believed in. The primary focus on passing downs were TE's and RB's. That's a fact, you can go listen to interview's form Eric, Colt or Holmgren. This is the main reason Holmgren was frustrated with the offense.

We target the TE because's that's what Mangini believed in. The primary focus on passing downs were TE's and RB's. That's a fact, you can go listen to interview's form Eric, Colt or Holmgren. This is the main reason Holmgren was frustrated with the offense.

I agree. We still don't know whether or not our current WRs can do the job. All too often, solid players become lost in the wrong system. That's why we will get a much better picture of where we are this season (IF there is a season). The staff has been built from & for the same offensive & defensive systems. We may just have a diamond in the rough already here! We'll see.

Mike

I agree. We still don't know whether or not our current WRs can do the job. All too often, solid players become lost in the wrong system. That's why we will get a much better picture of where we are this season (IF there is a season). The staff has been built from & for the same offensive & defensive systems. We may just have a diamond in the rough already here! We'll see.

Mike

While I suppose it is possible that Robo and MoMass could round into form (3rd year seems to be the magic year for WRs), you couldn't pass up Green if he luckily falls to 6 based on what those two have shown thus far.

While I suppose it is possible that Robo and MoMass could round into form (3rd year seems to be the magic year for WRs), you couldn't pass up Green if he luckily falls to 6 based on what those two have shown thus far.

I don't disagree with you, but we may (as Fans) get surprised come draft day because we aren't seeing what our FO & Coaching staff are seeing. What we see as an apparent need, they may not & what we see as an area of lesser need, they may see as a great need. Free agency may be a factor as well (depending on WHEN that happens). Time will tell.

Mike

if the browns take a wr at #6, he has to be one with the complete package. from what i've heard, jones isn't consistent enough with catching the ball. if that's the case, i hope we pass on him that early in the draft.

Julio fixed his catching problem last season. His coaches noticed that he was always looking to run before he caught the ball. Last year, he changed a lot. Became a heck of a lot more consistent with catching.

Archived