THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Were Talking To

CLEVELandMILIDH

@RavensInsider: Louisville cornerback Johnny Patrick met with a dozen NFL teams, including the Cleveland Browns. 02-28

<b>Browns | Talked with Noel Devine

</b>

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:15:11 -0800

West Virginia RB Noel Devine said he has talked with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

<b>Browns | Met with Patrick Peterson

</b>

Mon, 28 Feb 2011 11:00:05 -0800

Louisiana State CB Patrick Peterson said he has met with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

<b>Browns | Have talked with Will Hill

</b>

Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:56:27 -0800

University of Florida S Will Hill said he has spoken with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

<b>Browns | Have talked with Allen Bailey

</b>

Sat, 26 Feb 2011 14:14:16 -0800

University of Miami DE Allen Bailey said he has talked with Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

<b>Browns | Have met with Tyron Smith

</b>

Sat, 26 Feb 2011 13:05:43 -0800

Southern California OT Tyron Smith said he has met with the Cleveland Browns at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Read more: <a href="http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl#ixzz1FIGbDY86" target="_blank">http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl#ixzz1FIGbDY86</a>

I know a lot of people aren't taking the Peterson to Browns speculation seriously, but I have a weird feeling he falls to us.

Who knows? Does anyone have a history on the Walrus and his draft selections over the years? That may be a tip on how he likes the draft in the early rounds.

Who knows? Does anyone have a history on the Walrus and his draft selections over the years? That may be a tip on how he likes the draft in the early rounds.

http://sea.scout.com/2/816748.html

History I've seen of him while he was GM and coach for Seattle, agreed with that article, I wasn't really excited over Holmgren's hire until he was named President and not the GM whom Heckert is and i believe Heckert is the main man doing our drafting while Holmgren oversees it. Also have to realize Holmgren was GM AND head coaching those years, I believe just doing one or the other and not both helps greatly in doing those jobs well.

Heckert's tenure with the Eagle's really showed his eye for talent.

Here is Heckert's history before last year's draft: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/in_the_shadows_browns_gm_tom_h.html

http://sea.scout.com/2/816748.html

History I've seen of him while he was GM and coach for Seattle, agreed with that article, I wasn't really excited over Holmgren's hire until he was named President and not the GM whom Heckert is and i believe Heckert is the main man doing our drafting while Holmgren oversees it. Also have to realize Holmgren was GM AND head coaching those years, I believe just doing one or the other and not both helps greatly in doing those jobs well.

Heckert's tenure with the Eagle's really showed his eye for talent.

Here is Heckert's history before last year's draft: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/in_the_shadows_browns_gm_tom_h.html

It looks like his best draft was in 2002 when he didn't make any trades. Look at all of the trades he made afterwards.

It looks like a crap shoot.

I do not believe that Holmgren was making the personell decisions when he was with the Packers. I believe that was Ron Wolfe, so it might be misleading to look at those and apply them to Holmgren's record, though I am sure he had some input.

And here, actually, most of the player acquisition is supposed to be made by Heckert, not Holmgren, though again, I am sure he has significant input.

I do not believe that Holmgren was making the personell decisions when he was with the Packers. I believe that was Ron Wolfe, so it might be misleading to look at those and apply them to Holmgren's record, though I am sure he had some input.

And here, actually, most of the player acquisition is supposed to be made by Heckert, not Holmgren, though again, I am sure he has significant input.

I was referring to Heckert's tenure with the Eagles according to the Plain Dealer article. They made numerous trades and most of them didn't pan out.

Hey guys new poster here. First off great site you have here, I have been filling my down time at work reading your posts for a few months now. Ok so here's my take on things. I really think with the 6th pick we will address one of the holes in the front 7 or take peterson or the kid from nebraska. Although I like aj green and jones I don't think wr is the way to go mostly because of the way the cba is shaping up. If there are no mini camps training camp etc. They will not have the time needed to learn the new system or mesh with colt and the coaches. Its a lot easier to have a rookie jump in and learn on the fly on defense as opposed to a wr doing the same. Wouldn't surprise me if we trade down for extra picks either.

No WR on that list.

Not surprising...

I still have no idea why we believe that position is set? All we got is MoMass and Watson to throw to. You play a team with a good secondary they could double cover those guys all day and we'd be screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I think MoMass is great, but he needs help!!!!

Not surprising...

I still have no idea why we believe that position is set? All we got is MoMass and Watson to throw to. You play a team with a good secondary they could double cover those guys all day and we'd be screwed.

No one said we're not drafting a WR, probably just not in the 1st round. And for the millionth time, there IS free agency.

And MoMass is great? Have we been watching the same team? He has the potential (not yet achieved) to be a good #2.

I noticed that.

We are going to draft Peterson!

Were going to draft green if hes there...mark it down!

Were going to draft green if hes there...mark it down!

Imagine both Peterson and Green fall to us. That'll be one awesome problem to have, no?

if that does happen, Peterson is too great of a prospect (better than Green) to pass up.

I've already jumped on the Alshon Jeffrey bandwagon. He's a better prospect than AJ Green.

Imagine both Peterson and Green fall to us. That'll be one awesome problem to have, no?

if that does happen, Peterson is too great of a prospect (better than Green) to pass up.

I've already jumped on the Alshon Jeffrey bandwagon. He's a better prospect than AJ Green.

Yeah but Alshon Jeffery will be a top 5 selection next year so unless were picking top 5, i dont see us getting him ethier...Heres hoping Green falls to us which may happen if the Bengals take a QB....Also Justin Blackmon is my guy next year i dont think we'll have a shot at Jeffery

Not surprising...

MoMass and great are 2 words that should never be in the same sentence.

MoMass was effective when lined up opposite of Braylon Edwards. He's shown glimpses and can be a solid WR in the NFL if we had more of a passing threat opposite of him...

His numbers weren't entirely too much different. He had about 200 more yards, and one more touchdown against opposing teams #2's. It's a difference, but not anything drastic. I agree, we need a passing threat next to him, I don't think MoMass will ever be a solid #1.

Momass Will not be a Number 1 reciever in the NFL, but could you imagne adding AJ Green one of his best friends to the roster...I think it would make them only train harder and want to suceed all the more, spend plenty of time developing there game.

• 2 weeks later...

Sources: Von Miller to visit Browns, Bills

March, 14, 2011

MAR 14

5:30

By James Walker

Following a very strong combine and pro day, Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller is generating a lot of interest at the top of the NFL draft.

Multiple sources tell the AFC North blog that Miller will visit with the Buffalo Bills this week on March 16-17, as well as the Cleveland Browns on April 11-12. Buffalo and Cleveland hold the No. 3 overall pick and No. 6 pick, respectively.

Miller is considered the top linebacker prospect in this year's draft. He is also the only rookie who is part of the NFLPA's lawsuit against the league, joining high-profile veterans such as quarterbacks Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees.

There is some speculation about whether Miller could be blackballed by teams during the lockout. But that doesn't appear to be the case, as Cleveland and Buffalo are showing interest and hold very high picks in the first round. Both teams also need help in the front seven of its struggling defenses.

Miller recorded 68 tackles, 11 sacks and an interception last season for the Aggies. He recently wowed scouts by running a blazing 4.49 in the 40-yard dash during his pro day.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/25671/sources-von-miller-to-visit-browns-bills

It doesn't matter who we pick as long as he is the bpa on Heckert's board.

Does anyone else think Raheem Moore might be there in the 2nd? That would be a steal.

Im glad someone else was thinking the same thing, i would love to grab Rahim Moore in the 2nd to pair with Ward they would complenet each other perfectly

Im glad someone else was thinking the same thing, i would love to grab Rahim Moore in the 2nd to pair with Ward they would complenet each other perfectly

All the mocks Ive seen have Moore going late 1st so I doubt he'll be there in the 2nd, but if he is, I would love to grab him to round out our secondary (with an upgraded CB soonish).

As for Von Miller, I keep hearing he is a prototypical 3-4 OLB and that his strength is rushing the QB. Apparently he showed good skills dropping back in coverage at the combine, but Im not sure drafting him to play a 4-3 LB who wont rush much in Jaurons system is the right way to go, especially since our DL is shit and there will be a lot of good talent available. You build in the trenches or else a good/great LB has little impact. That being said, I would love to trade down is someone is salivating over Miller at 6.

All the mocks Ive seen have Moore going late 1st so I doubt he'll be there in the 2nd, but if he is, I would love to grab him to round out our secondary (with an upgraded CB soonish).

As for Von Miller, I keep hearing he is a prototypical 3-4 OLB and that his strength is rushing the QB. Apparently he showed good skills dropping back in coverage at the combine, but Im not sure drafting him to play a 4-3 LB who wont rush much in Jaurons system is the right way to go, especially since our DL is shit and there will be a lot of good talent available. You build in the trenches or else a good/great LB has little impact. That being said, I would love to trade down is someone is salivating over Miller at 6.

All the mocks ive been looking at has Moore going to Buffalo,Arizona and Detriot in the second round so there is a great chance he could be there when we pick you never know who is going to fall and who is going to rise...Different teams have different players rated higher on there boards, with all that said i think Moore would be a steal in the 2nd and would be a great addition to are Secondary,but there is also Drake Nevis, Marvin Austin alot of great 3 gap DTs that will be there in the 2nd as well...I think we can come away with 2 great players in the first two rounds just like last years draft

Eastern Kentucky DL Andrew Soucy worked out for the Cleveland Browns Tuesday, March 15, and measured 6-foot-2, 311 pounds. He put up 32 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press, a vertical jump of 30 inches, a broad jump of 8-foot-9, ran the 40-yard dash in 5.22 seconds, the 10-yard split in 1.75 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.56 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.59 seconds.

Source: KFFL.com

NFL | Da'Quan Bowers receiving plenty of interest

Thu, 17 Mar 2011 06:55:01 -0700

Clemson DL Da'Quan Bowers has visits scheduled with the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Cincinnati Bengals, Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns and the Tennessee Titans, according to Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

AJ Green will not make it past the Bengals. Peterson will not make it past the Broncos.

i wouldn't be so sure about that. with palmer being hell bent on not playing for the bengals and threatening to retire if they don't trade him, they may be pressed into getting a qb.

Two of the NFL's brightest future stars, LSU CB Patrick Peterson and Georgia WR A.J. Green, registered among the five lowest Wonderlic scores of the 330 participants at this year’s NFL scouting combine.

Peterson was one of four prospects who recorded a dreaded single-digit score, which NFL teams often equate with getting their name right, tying with South Carolina's Chris Culliver for the lowest mark among all defensive backs as both correctly answered only nine questions on the 12-minute, 50-question test.

Green registered the lowest score of all receivers, answering 10 questions correctly.

What does it mean? The Wonderlic test is just a small piece of the evaluation process, designed to gauge the intelligence of prospects. What NFL teams value much more highly is football intelligence — how quickly a player can instinctively read, react and make plays on the field.

"Peterson plays like a low-test guy," one NFL decision maker told PFW on the condition he remain anonymous, "but [if] he's in 'cat' [man-to-man] coverage in the NFL, it's not as big of an issue as it will be for offensive guys."

"He's a press corner," another longtime evaluator said. "His strong suit is that he can run and press. He won't play for the Patriots, where he's disguising coverage after coverage, but I still think he can be a No. 1 shutdown corner."

A scout with deep knowledge of the kid said, "The more I'm around him, the more I love him even more. I love the kid, and I love the talent. But I don't like the way he plays with his back to the ball. He has an instinct issue, and I think it's tied to his mental [ability]. He can only handle so much. He's not a quick processor. It's a scary year to be drafting in the top 10 because they all have some issue."

The increasing complexity of NFL offenses creates more pressure for a receiver like Green, but teams are still split about how much of a concern his score is.

"He will get it," one evaluator said. "You're going to have to take it slow with him and let him start at one position and let him learn on the run. He's not going to be able to handle learning all three positions. If you ask him to be an X, Y and Z, you're setting him up for failure."

"A.J. won't reach his full potential …," another evaluator said. "I don't know that Julio Jones [who scored a 15, ranking in the bottom 12 among wideouts] will be much better."

A third evaluator said, "You can't cover that guy. He's so difficult to defend. Will it take him some time? It could. That's on the coaches. It's their job not to give him too much. If you overload him, you could have some problems initially, but he's a great kid. He'll work at it. And he'll get it."

Florida OT Carl Johnson produced the worst score among this draft class, registering a 6, and Oklahoma State RB Kendall Hunter was the only other athlete to record a single digit, scoring a 9.

The offensive line and quarterback groups, both expected to score highly given the premium placed on reading defenses and recognizing protection in the NFL, heavily represented the top 10 scores. Alabama QB Greg McElroy registered the top score, correctly answering 43 of the 49 questions he attempted. He was followed by Boston College OT Anthony Castonzo (41), Baylor OG Danny Watkins (40), Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien (38), Idaho QB Nathan Enderle (38), Central Michigan ILB Nick Bellore (36), Portland State TE Julius Thomas (35), Florida State QB Christian Ponder (35), Michigan OG Steve Schilling (35) and Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara (35).

Although the tests are designed to measure intelligence, many registered NFL player advisers help their clients prepare for the exam, and as a result, the test scores often may be inflated. The Wonderlic company says no tester should improve by more than a handful of points, and any improvement much greater than that should be dismissed.

Castonzo scored a 35 the first time he took the exam last spring, six points lower than he did at the recent combine; McElroy scored a 32, jumping 11 points, and Enderle a 40, falling two. On the other hand, Watkins scored a 15 the first time he took the exam last spring, so his 25-point improvement will be discarded by NFL teams, which have expressed some concern about his ability to handle playing multiple positions despite having the physical skill set to play anywhere on the line. Bellore scored a 21 the first time he took the test, showing a 15-point improvement. Amukamara, who registered the top score for a cornerback, improved by 21 points from the 14 he recorded last fall, and teams that have interviewed him have said the 14 score is a closer indicator of his intelligence.

Browns | Phil Taylor works out

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 08:10:33 -0700

Baylor DL Phil Taylor worked out for the Cleveland Browns, according to Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Source: NationalFootballPost.com - Aaron Wilson

Browns | To meet with Cam Newton

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 07:38:33 -0700

Auburn QB Cam Newton is scheduled to visit the Cleveland Browns April 13, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Source: ESPN - Adam Schefter

Browns | To meet with Buster Skrine

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:58:13 -0700

Tennessee-Chattanooga CB Buster Skrine has an upcoming meeting and workout with the Cleveland Browns, according to Aaron Wilson, of NationalFootballPost.com.

Source: NationalFootballPost.com - Aaron Wilson

Browns | To meet with Da'Quan Bowers

Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:11:45 -0700

Clemson DL Da'Quan Bowers will visit the Cleveland Browns April 11 or 12, according to a league source, reports Mary Kay Cabot, of The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Source: The Cleveland Plain Dealer - Mary Kay Cabot

Archived