THE BROWNS BOARD

Vickers?

I guess since I havent heard anything about it, we didnt tender Vickers and make him a restricted free agent? Why would we not at least give him a second round tender and keep control of him? He's not only a valuable piece to our team (maybe less so now that we're running the WCO) but we could def get some value from him in a trade. has anyone heard anything about him lately?

He can't catch too well, McCoy looked liked he was going to smack him when he dropped 2 big passes that would of been 20 plus yards or a big td

The thing is he used to be a good pass catcher so I'm wondering if they sign him and have him work more on his ball catching skills in practice.

And even if they don't sign him they'll go after someone who is good at both. Marcel Reece from the Raiders had 25 catches for 333 yards last season in an offense that doesn't use a pass catching FB as much as a WCO. He isn't a bad rush blocker either, he lead the way for McFadden to have his best season yet in the NFL rushing for 1157 yards for a 5.2 yards per carry.

Our FB in the WCO wears #40.

You know they won't change Hillis back to fullback. I have a feeling that at this point of his career if we were switched back he would demand a trade and if that didn't happen he would sign with us after next season. He is a running back with solid 4.5 speed. There is no need to switch him to fullback, but to get him a complementary back in the late rounds or cheap in FA just in case Hardesty get injured again next season.

We do not need to make Hillis are FB there are plenty of other FBs out there that can fill that void, if i remember correctly Roger Craig was in the WCO and he was pretty damn good, he has that power keep those legs pounding that reminds me of Hillis

We do not need to make Hillis are FB there are plenty of other FBs out there that can fill that void, if i remember correctly Roger Craig was in the WCO and he was pretty damn good, he has that power keep those legs pounding that reminds me of Hillis

I wouldn't worry about what we call the position he plays. If he is now the fullback, he still gets his carries and passes thrown his way. He won't become a blocking back as was Vickers.

Sure, he will block when Hardesty gets the ball just as Hardesty will block for him. Just don't view him filling the useless position Vickers held.

I don't want to debate about the Vickers comment. Yes he was a great blocker. He sucked at running the ball and catching the ball.

I want players who play a running back position who don't suck at running and catching. You know....guys who can actually move the ball and score points.

If we keep running Hillis like we did last year, he is lucky to have one more year left in his career.

Hillis also needs to learn when to "stop" running so he doesnt cause further injury to himself.

I think these last 2 comments are bogus. Why do people think that just because someone runs hard that they will automatically have a very short career. No one ran harder than the likes of Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith and Jerome Bettis and Earl Campbell, etc. etc. and they lasted plenty long enough. You are sounding like a bunch of Steeler fans. Hillis needs to play football the way he plays football.

I think these last 2 comments are bogus. Why do people think that just because someone runs hard that they will automatically have a very short career. No one ran harder than the likes of Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith and Jerome Bettis and Earl Campbell, etc. etc. and they lasted plenty long enough. You are sounding like a bunch of Steeler fans. Hillis needs to play football the way he plays football.

Thank you you play hard everydown like its your last because it just may be, ala Lockout no more football then where would all the lets not get hurt wear n tear on your body matter, there would be no football...You play hard every play every game regardless thats how the game was meant to play...If your body dosent hold up you get another person to fill that void

Needs to learn to stop running. What kind of xxxxing comment is that. Look right now Hillis is the #1 Running back. Shurmer has said that he plans to make some 2 RB sets in order to have both Hillis and Hardesty in at the same time where they can run plays where you don't know who is running it and they can both go out of routes in the back field. But Hillis (unless he shows that last season was a fluk which he won't) will get the #1 carries. He's not going to get 95% of the carries like his did last year, but he will still get 70% to 80% of them.

And Vickers isn't ussless. If he is in the system that we were in last year, and there are teams that use systems where the fullbacks job is just blocking, he is one of the best players in the NFL for the job. And the fullback we are going to need next year is going to need to be a good run blocker too, not just a pass catcher.

I agree.

I agree.

Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

Maybe you guys never played football. And he is not Jim Brown. Constantly getting hit by 375 lb linemen, linebackers and such 25 times per game will take its toll. He was already injured last season, and his performance numbers dropped dramatically. Okay, 1 year might be pushing it, but constantly using this guy like we did last year will definitely shorten his career. With Hardesty back, and if he stays healthy, I imagine he will be seeing a lot less running anyway.

Ya but plenty of RB's made a living getting 25 touches a game and they played for 10 seasons. Peterson manages to do it, Johnson manages to do it, Mendenhall manages to do it. Ya he isn't the caleber of the first two, but to say this guy can't due it because he experienced minor injuries that any football player can suffer from any given day is ridiculous. A deep thigh bruise and bruises back ribs are not as serious as you would like to think. With the switch to a WCO and Hardesty being back I am not worried about Hillis in the slightest. I am more worried about Hardesty.

No doubt it takes it's toll.

Yes, I played football though baseball was my sport past HS.

Hillis isn't running more then many other backs in the league.

Really, forget "saving" him for 6 years from now. Let's get what we can the next 5 years.....though I would tell him to quit leaping players.

You have to understand....when you have a real field Ox, you let it plow as long as it can, then you either put it to stud or you eat it.

That's the bottom line.

Apparently some of you cant read so I'll be more than happy to clarify My post....I never said he needs to "stop" running but "when" to stop running...theres a differance lol...And the high hurdeling can cause bad things like fumbles besides injuries...get a grip fellas...just asking that kid be more mindful is all..

I honestly don't have a problem with Hillis leaping... as long as he stops doing it up the middle and trying to do it over line backers. The one he did agaisnt the Bills was stupid and the one he did up the middle against the Patriots was dangerous. If we wants to do it on the outside against a CB in order to break for 10 more yards then fine, but why do it to a safety when you have two guys on the side of you. There is a time and a place for it he just needs to learn when it's the right time to fly and when it's the time to lay the bulldozer.

WHITE MEN CAN JUMP!!!

I honestly don't have a problem with Hillis leaping... as long as he stops doing it up the middle and trying to do it over line backers. The one he did agaisnt the Bills was stupid and the one he did up the middle against the Patriots was dangerous. If we wants to do it on the outside against a CB in order to break for 10 more yards then fine, but why do it to a safety when you have two guys on the side of you. There is a time and a place for it he just needs to learn when it's the right time to fly and when it's the time to lay the bulldozer.

WHITE MEN CAN JUMP!!!

Agreed i think he should keep the leaping a part of his arsonal just tune it and know when to do it and under what circumstances, Legertte Blount also is one who loves to hurdle ppl.It is just in some peoples game, same as Hardesty has his spin move...And yes im more concerned about Hardersty staying healthy more than i am Hillis...Ethier way we need to look at another back as well in the draft or free agency,possibly a scat back or such...Kendall Hunter,Jacquizz Rodgers or even Noel Devine i think they would all fit in nicely and add another element to a already leathal running game

I like Noel Devine myself.

I don't mind the jump....though I do think he started to use it too much and at the wrong times. In the open field, cool, usually that is against a DB type who seeks to go low.

Later on he started doing it in traffic just past the LOS....not so cool. Too many LB's who aren't looking to go quite as low.

I like Noel Devine myself.

I don't mind the jump....though I do think he started to use it too much and at the wrong times. In the open field, cool, usually that is against a DB type who seeks to go low.

Later on he started doing it in traffic just past the LOS....not so cool. Too many LB's who aren't looking to go quite as low.

I like Noel Devine as well but seeing how he went to the high school where im from he never really lived up to what he was sopossed to be, if you youtube his highschool highlights its the greatest thing you will ever see...It makes what Barry Sanders and Reggie Bush highlights see like John Riggin highlights....So then he signed to WVU where he had a productive career but he was coming outta FT.Myers the Best Prospect since Deion Sanders and considered better going into college....He still is a great RB and i wouldnt mind taking a look at him

There is alot of people wanting a "scat" back and I do like the idea of more speed but Im not a fan of small running backs. Noel Devine is just like Bush, outside the tackles he may go the distance but he cant do it between the tackles.

I respect some of the little guys hearts but guys like Quizz just dont do well in the pros.(outside of Jones-Drew ofcourse)

If you want to see some get yards after the catch why dont we line Cribbs in the backfield and have him run a few flat routes? Its the same thing and we have it in house.

Bottom line is he won't carry the ball as much.

First, with the NCO, we are probably going to throw the ball over 50% of the time, so that reduces the number of plays he could be called on to run the ball.

Second, with more 2 back sets with a legit runner in there as well, some of his carries will be siphoned off.

Last year he had 270 carries for roughly 1200 yards, which is about 4.4 YPC.

I could see his carries drop to 170 or so which if you use his YPC from last year would give him 748 yards which works out to close to my initial feelings he will probably be a 800 a year rusher under the new offense.

Archived