THE BROWNS BOARD

Nfl Teams Fined For Interacting With Players Prior To The Lockout

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/03/cleveland_browns_fined_accordi.html

The Browns have been fined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for meeting with players prior to March 15, however casual and informal those meetings might have been. Tony Grossi of The Plain Dealer alluded to the fines in a recent story, and Jeff Schudel of The News-Herald also wrote about the fines.

The Browns are not alone because The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys were fined because new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan met with some of his players.

From the News-Herald story:

The Browns (Pat Shurmur) and the 49ers (Jim Harbaugh) have new head coaches. Jason Garrett is in his first full season as the Cowboys head coach and Brian Daboll is the new offensive coordinator for the Dolphins.

Browns president Mike Holmgren is on record saying quarterback Colt McCoy was issued Shurmur's playbook so he could study it, but Holmgren and Shurmur contend there was very little contact between Shurmur and McCoy beyond that.

There is supposed to be no contact with players during the lockout.

rules are rules.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/03/josh_cribbs_and_cleveland_disa.html

Browns fined? The NFL would not confirm the Browns were one of five teams fined for violating league rules by meeting with players prior to the lockout.

The rules -- on the books for years -- went virtually unenforced until the current labor dispute.

The Browns contend players were just getting acquainted with new coach Pat Shurmur. The club did acknowledge Shurmur gave McCoy a copy of his playbook, but the rules do not specify that as a violation

Sounds like the Browns might be able to dispute this.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2011/03/24/sports/doc4d8b548f4020a680742231.txt

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2011/03/24/sports/doc4d8b548f4020a680742231.txt?viewmode=2

The Browns have reportedly been fined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for meeting with players prior to March 15, however casual and informal those meetings might have been.

The Dallas Morning News reported the Cowboys were definitely fined because new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan met with some of his players. The story said it is "believed" the Browns, Dolphins and 49ers also violated NFL rules restricting how much contact coaches can have with their players before offseason programs begin in mid-March.

The Browns (Pat Shurmur) and the 49ers (Jim Harbaugh) have new head coaches. Jason Garrett is in his first full season as the Cowboys head coach and Brian Daboll is the new offensive coordinator for the Dolphins.

Browns president Mike Holmgren is on record saying quarterback Colt McCoy was issued Shurmur's playbook so he could study it, but Holmgren and Shurmur contend there was very little contact between Shurmur and McCoy beyond that.

Teams are not permitted any contact with players during the lockout, which began March 12 after the players union decertified a day earlier. The teams being fined have not violated that edict.

A statement released by the NFL reads:

"There have been rules in place for years that govern what is permissible prior to the start of the off-season program. ... Before the offseason program begins, players are permitted to use the Club's facilities on a voluntary basis subject to the following rules:

(i) Such players may not receive per diem payments or workout bonuses of any kind and may not be paid or reimbursed expenses for travel, board or lodging during this period.

(ii) Such players are not permitted to participate in organized workouts, practices or meetings of any kind.

(iii) The Club's strength and conditioning coaches may not direct such players' individual workouts, but may supervise use of the weight room to prevent injury, correct misuse of equipment, etc.

(iv) Such players may not be directed or supervised by position coaches during this period.''

It's total bullshit. It's just the NFL fining teams for not shunning players before the lockout. Any other year this wouldn't happen.

it is total bs. they're trying to nail teams for interacting with their players PRIOR to the lockout. the nfl has rules for what can/can't be done prior to the off-season programs, but based off the info that i posted it doesn't look like the browns (or any of the accused teams) have violated anything.

There is a rule saying that the front office and coaching staff are not allowed to have contact with players until a certain time, but it has never been enforced. It is put in place to keep coaches from having un authorized offseason practices with players, similar to how high school football coaches in ohio are not allowed to be out with players working on plays until one week before two a days start. Using the rule like this is abuse of the system and as a matter of fact every single team in the NFL should be find because I garentee you that everyone coach on every team has been in some sort of face to face contact with at least one of their player. Everyone bit of this is utter bullshit and it's just the league getting back at owners at certain owners who were encouraging their player to work out voluntarily at team facilities during the offseason instead of locking the doors 2 months early.

It's like working at a factory and the manager of the whole building tells you to not have contact with you shift supervisor, or working at a school and the super intendent telling the teachers to not have any kind of contact with the principle. If you have players going into the building to work out and the people they are not supposed to have "contact" with are there, then they are going to interact witht hem.

rules are rules.

If that was the case then Mendenhall would have been fined several thousand dollars for his little hump stunt you have as your avitar, Harrison would have been fined at least half a million last year, and you would only see Ben's face on a sexual offender list. On top of that if you just ran with the consittution then mental patients should be allowed to carry weapons, it should be leagal to scream fire in an over crowded building causing a panick, and you should legally be allowed to start a cult who's one goal is to get the whole group to commit suicide.

Let's see who is saying rules are rules when your star pass rusher misses half of his season from all the suspensions he'll get for illegal hits next year.

There is a rule saying that the front office and coaching staff are not allowed to have contact with players until a certain time, but it has never been enforced. It is put in place to keep coaches from having un authorized offseason practices with players, similar to how high school football coaches in ohio are not allowed to be out with players working on plays until one week before two a days start. Using the rule like this is abuse of the system and as a matter of fact every single team in the NFL should be find because I garentee you that everyone coach on every team has been in some sort of face to face contact with at least one of their player. Everyone bit of this is utter bullshit and it's just the league getting back at owners at certain owners who were encouraging their player to work out voluntarily at team facilities during the offseason instead of locking the doors 2 months early.

It's like working at a factory and the manager of the whole building tells you to not have contact with you shift supervisor, or working at a school and the super intendent telling the teachers to not have any kind of contact with the principle. If you have players going into the building to work out and the people they are not supposed to have "contact" with are there, then they are going to interact witht hem.

good post. you summed it up very well. i knew about the rule, but it does seem kind of sketchy in regards to the browns. i guess the browns could debate specific details and dispute the fine if the talks they had were before the restricted time? i dunno? i'm sure the truth will come out eventually.

If that was the case then Mendenhall would have been fined several thousand dollars for his little hump stunt you have as your avitar, Harrison would have been fined at least half a million last year, and you would only see Ben's face on a sexual offender list. On top of that if you just ran with the consittution then mental patients should be allowed to carry weapons, it should be leagal to scream fire in an over crowded building causing a panick, and you should legally be allowed to start a cult who's one goal is to get the whole group to commit suicide.

Let's see who is saying rules are rules when your star pass rusher misses half of his season from all the suspensions he'll get for illegal hits next year.

the funny thing is that the steeler moron didn't even know what the rules are. but you and me both know how desperate these losers are to troll lol. he was responding to my op and the rules aren't even thoroughly explained in my op. add to that the fact he doesn't even know the specifics of the browns situation. it wouldn't hurt to listen to what the browns have to say first. we don't know if the browns are guilty yet. time will tell whether or not they spoke to their players at the appropriate time (prior to the draft).

don't need to nor will i argue with any more browns fans about any Steelers players. i don't have the time or the breath to waste.

on the subject of shurmur meeting with and giving mccoy a playbook?

it's against the rules, and even if it hasn't been enforced at any other time that was the same excuse given by the patriots for recording opponents pratices ("every other team does it too"), by harrison this year when head shots were made a huge issue ("this is the way we're taught to play, howcome we never got fined like this before?"), and now by you guys with shurmur doing something that he should have KNOWN would be enforced this year even if it isn't at other times.

there are PLENTY of HC's out there this year and NONE OF THEM are allowed to meet with their players, give them playbooks, or prettymuch even say "hi" to them if they saw them walking down the street(little thing called a labor dispute). those other HC's would have a fit if this wasn't punished.

just be happy that it wasn't something worse like draft picks. a fine is just a slap on the wrist that does NOTHING to your team in the big picture.

there are PLENTY of HC's out there this year and NONE OF THEM are allowed to meet with their players, give them playbooks, or prettymuch even say "hi" to them if they saw them walking down the street(little thing called a labor dispute). those other HC's would have a fit if this wasn't punished.

people like this moron just don't get it. the browns didn't talk to any of their players or give colt a playbook after the the lockout. according to what i've posted, the browns haven't talked to/interacted with/given a playbook to anyone after the lockout. there's a certain period, prior to the offseason program, where teams can't talk about or have certain activities going on with their players. we have yet to hear the browns side of the story and see if their situation does indeed violate what's specified in the nfl's rules. if it comes out that the browns did violate this rule, then yes they should be punished. but isn't it dumb to assume guilt before hearing both sides? yes, it is. as someone has already said, trolls will be trolls. but as long as us browns fans understand the situation, we'll wait for the whole story.

Let Me spell it out for Gasfarts...Colt McCoy was given the playbook..."BEFORE THE LOCKOUT" ding dong!

I am not at all worried about the fine. If the Browns come out and play at least half-way competently after having no offseason to gel, then I could care less if they were fined for those early meetings. I'd wager that Lerner wouldn't care either.

I did have an interesting thought. With the coaches not allowed to coach...

What if the Colt leads work-outs to get the offense gelling and into the playbook, but he doesn't fully understand Shurmur's playbook.

This could be really, really bad, if either Colt completely F's up the offense scheme or he and Shurmur clash when the get back together and Shurmur insists on doing it his way despite what was actually practiced.

This could be really, really good, if Colt either totally gets it right, or gets it wrong, but creates some interesting playground plays that work and Shurmur isn't too big of an egomaniac to not let it happen.

I am not at all worried about the fine. If the Browns come out and play at least half-way competently after having no offseason to gel, then I could care less if they were fined for those early meetings. I'd wager that Lerner wouldn't care either.

I did have an interesting thought. With the coaches not allowed to coach...

What if the Colt leads work-outs to get the offense gelling and into the playbook, but he doesn't fully understand Shurmur's playbook.

This could be really, really bad, if either Colt completely F's up the offense scheme or he and Shurmur clash when the get back together and Shurmur insists on doing it his way despite what was actually practiced.

This could be really, really good, if Colt either totally gets it right, or gets it wrong, but creates some interesting playground plays that work and Shurmur isn't too big of an egomaniac to not let it happen.

If hes practicing with players and learning the playbook then I say let him call the plays at the line...

If hes practicing with players and learning the playbook then I say let him call the plays at the line...

I agree... this could be a great recipe for another Peyton Manning like career.

It could also be a recipe for disaster.

We will only have to wait and see I guess.

Let Me spell it out for Gasfarts...Colt McCoy was given the playbook..."BEFORE THE LOCKOUT" ding dong!

well, let me spell it out for you............THE BROWNS WERE FINED AND IT WASN'T FOR THE HELL OF IT!!!!

wether it was too much contact before the lockout started or any contact after the lockout started dosen't matter.

and from what i've seen from the posts it dosen't specify when mccoy was given the playbook. at least none of the posts or links specify a date when he recieved the playbook. correct me if i'm wrong.

your team got fined for breaking the rules. just be happy it wasn't a draft pick.

well, let me spell it out for you............THE BROWNS WERE FINED AND IT WASN'T FOR THE HELL OF IT!!!!

wether it was too much contact before the lockout started or any contact after the lockout started dosen't matter.

and from what i've seen from the posts it dosen't specify when mccoy was given the playbook. at least none of the posts or links specify a date when he recieved the playbook. correct me if i'm wrong.

your team got fined for breaking the rules. just be happy it wasn't a draft pick.

the fine was nothing so dont be so boastful...Be thankful your rapist QB isnt in jail and your roid lovin harrison still has his spine intact ...

the fine was nothing so dont be so boastful...Be thankful your rapist QB isnt in jail and your roid lovin harrison still has his spine intact ...

you're right. the fine was nothing. you should be VERY thankful it wasn't more.

and i am thankful that our 2x superbowl winning QB is playing and our all pro OLB is ahead of schedule with his rehab.

looks like it's gonna be another boring year of winning football and deep playoff runs for the Steelers this year.

snore!

you're right. the fine was nothing. you should be VERY thankful it wasn't more.

and i am thankful that our 2x superbowl winning QB is playing and our all pro OLB is ahead of schedule with his rehab.

looks like it's gonna be another boring year of winning football and deep playoff runs for the Steelers this year.

snore!

Who really gives a shit about a fine. It is just money that Randy Lerner has as pocket change which he will make up by charging an extra quarter for beer.

As far as the Steelers making a deep playoff run, I have my doubts.

Who really gives a shit about a fine. It is just money that Randy Lerner has as pocket change which he will make up by charging an extra quarter for beer.

As far as the Steelers making a deep playoff run, I have my doubts.

i believe you said that SAME exact thing this past year(and the year before, and the year before, etc... ad nauseum).

how'd that prediction work out?

and it's not like i was shouting from the rooftops that this fine would be the final nail in the coffin of the browns organization.

give it a rest.

i believe you said that SAME exact thing this past year(and the year before, and the year before, etc... ad nauseum).

how'd that prediction work out?

and it's not like i was shouting from the rooftops that this fine would be the final nail in the coffin of the browns organization.

give it a rest.

Look at the recent history of what happens to Super Bowl losers. Why should anyone think that trend should discontinue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_curse

Look at the recent history of what happens to Super Bowl losers. Why should anyone think that trend should discontinue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_curse

DAMN!!!!!! i FINALLY understand the cleveland browns strategy!!!!!!!!!!

never go to the superbowl so you can avoid the hangover!

that is what i call GOOD THINKIN right there.

(sarcasm off)

what you said is true, but i'd rather make it to the superbowl and lose than go an average of 5-11 for an entire decade of my franchise's history. i'd rather worry about my players being a little worn out after playing into january and having a shorter offseason than KNOW WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that my team is gonna get plenty of rest after their scheduled 16 games.

but hey that's just me. i guess we all have our cross to bear.

you and me both know how the ocd steeler trolls are. they don't deal with facts, they just roll with whatever suits their agenda. the browns were fined, but we have no idea what the specifics of the browns situation was. and just because a team is fined doesn't mean they can't dispute the fine. we have yet to hear from the browns on this matter and until i hear something from them, i won't rush to judgement.

what you said is true, but i'd rather make it to the superbowl and lose than go an average of 5-11 for an entire decade of my franchise's history. i'd rather worry about my players being a little worn out after playing into january and having a shorter offseason than KNOW WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that my team is gonna get plenty of rest after their scheduled 16 games.

but hey that's just me. i guess we all have our cross to bear.

No F88king shit Sherlock. One would obviously rather go to the Superbowl. But you know that you and I as fans have not one goddamn iota of control over what the teams we root for do.

NewFlash for you F88kface: You have never contributed so much as a cabbage fart to the Steelers efforts of being a successful team over the years.

You have simply had the luck of a dumbass of having been from a place where the local team has performed well.

You could have just as easily been born around Cleveland, or Detroit, or Philly, or Houston, or Minnesota or Buffalo or Cincinnati or Atlanta or Kansas City or San Diego or Seattle or any of the number of other places where the local football team hasn't won in 50 years. Where would your sorry sucking ass have been then?

Or, perhaps you WERE from one of those places and you just became a F88king FRAK. A bandwagon jumper. Maybe you simply decided to fellate a team that was performing well. Perhaps you are nothing more than like one of those hordes of Cowboy fans that jump on and off the bandwagon.

We have no proof from you that you are not one.

At least with Homotron we know he is not a FRAK. He is a born and bred Pittsboiger.

You, we have no clue.

We have evidence that you are one of the dumbest sumbitches to walk the planet. Now show us that at least your stupidity is honest by demonstrating to us that you are a born and bred Western Pennsyltuckian.

you and me both know how the ocd steeler trolls are. they don't deal with facts, they just roll with whatever suits their agenda. the browns were fined, but we have no idea what the specifics of the browns situation was. and just because a team is fined doesn't mean they can't dispute the fine. we have yet to hear from the browns on this matter and until i hear something from them, i won't rush to judgement.

Amen Brudda!

Archived