THE BROWNS BOARD

Filling 2 Needs With 1 Draft Pick

Thomaspro

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, but I also want to resign Abe. Abe would make a great back up at both FS and SS and I would feel safer having Brown play nickle corner and having Abe go in to replace him on those plays than have Wright play nickle corner.

Every mock draft I see they have us taking Bowers who I think can be a good player and that his injury concerns are being blown way out of proportion. If he falls to us at 6 he would be a steal. Having said that Peterson is still the better player and a steal at 6 as well and if both those guys are there I really think Peterson is our pick hands down.

I just do not see Newton, Gabbert, or Green being on the board at 6. Denver needs a wr for Orton/Tebow, Buffalo at 3 needs a QB, and Cincy will need a QB at 4. AZ will go DL or LB with Von Miller at 5. So I think that leaves us a few DL's or Peterson at 6. It just makes to much sense to to take Peterson so we can fill 2 holes with 1 draft pick. And yes I do agree resigning Abe. He will make a great back up and really came on late last year.

If Peterson is there at 6 you should take him. BPA not to mention we can then move Brown to Safety. Brown said he does not mind playing Safety. So we need to do this if Peterson is there at 6.

he won't be on the board at 6. he's probably the best player in this draft and unless the teams that have picks 1-5 completely ingore this fact there is no way he slips to 6.

I just do not see Newton, Gabbert, or Green being on the board at 6. Denver needs a wr for Orton/Tebow, Buffalo at 3 needs a QB, and Cincy will need a QB at 4. AZ will go DL or LB with Von Miller at 5. So I think that leaves us a few DL's or Peterson at 6. It just makes to much sense to to take Peterson so we can fill 2 holes with 1 draft pick. And yes I do agree resigning Abe. He will make a great back up and really came on late last year.

AZ, it could be argued, also needs a QB. you may be wrong about green and newton. with the amount of talent on the DL that this draft class has green could definately be there at 6.

and newton???? talk about someone i wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole. nope, let him be an entertainer/icon somewhere else. he's got jamarcus russel written all over him. if i were a GM i wouldn't look his way till the 3rd round or later. now i know that isn't gonna happen, but hey..........not all GMs are as smart as they could be.

I really am not sold on Bowers and dont want him at 6, i wouldnt mind Peterson at all but hes a long shot to be there.If he is there than i wouldnt mind grabbing him ethier...I still would like to see Green just because D Line is so Deep this year and you will get a first round grade on a D Lineman in the early second...

Everything ive seen though has us taking Bowers and i really think he isnt as good as he is displayed,ive watched alot tape on him and theres alot of good and alot of bad..

he won't be on the board at 6. he's probably the best player in this draft and unless the teams that have picks 1-5 completely ingore this fact there is no way he slips to 6.

While I agree he's the best player in the draft (Green being the somewhat-distant second), there's still a chance he'll be there. The Panthers won't take him #1. Schefter (who I trust) says they really really like Newton, and the other half of pundits say Gabbert. Whoever isn't chosen will probably go to buffalo at #3. #2 will probably be Marcell Dareus since Champ got resigned.

That leaves Nick Fairley, Von Miller, AJ Green and Peterson at the #4 and 5 ahead of us. AJ is projected at #4 since they need help at WR and Von Miller is looking reeeeeally good to the Cardinals, apparently.

Hell, i'm cool with Von Miller if the Cardinals take Peterson.

No to Bowers.

I'm starting to feel as though he's a one-hit wonder. His injuries long-term have me slighted.

He was the #1 prospect when he went to Clemson so it's not like things were not expected from him and it's also not like he had a horrible season before his junior year either, he had something like 50 tackles with 3 sacks, which is the kind of season where when it's over you expect that player to do even better than he did the year before, which he did this year with 15 sacks. Also he really doesn't have and extensive injury history. His current injury is an MCL tear which really isn't as serious as it sounds. A full MCL tear is probably better than a small partial ACL tear. Plus he played like around half of his season with the injury which speaks volumes about his mental toughness. I would probably like a safer pick at DE like Jordan, but at pick 6 Bowers has a whole lot of upside and not as much down side as pundits are trying to get people to believe now.

He was the #1 prospect when he went to Clemson so it's not like things were not expected from him and it's also not like he had a horrible season before his junior year either, he had something like 50 tackles with 3 sacks, which is the kind of season where when it's over you expect that player to do even better than he did the year before, which he did this year with 15 sacks. Also he really doesn't have and extensive injury history. His current injury is an MCL tear which really isn't as serious as it sounds. A full MCL tear is probably better than a small partial ACL tear. Plus he played like around half of his season with the injury which speaks volumes about his mental toughness. I would probably like a safer pick at DE like Jordan, but at pick 6 Bowers has a whole lot of upside and not as much down side as pundits are trying to get people to believe now.

He's been consistently 'good' (not great) at the college level. Totally different medium.

As a prospect he's great, probably about a 9/10, but he's not a home-run the same way AJ Green or Peterson are. When drafting this high in the draft, I wouldn't waste it on Bowers, don't let the numbers deceive you. If Peterson, Von Miller, or AJ Green aren't there, i'd trade down and we could still end up with Jordan.

Notice how I didn't cluster my paragraph ;)

I don't think Denver is weak enough at WR to say they NEED a WR. Loyd had a really really good year (1400 yrds 11 TDs), Eddie Royal is a decent slot guy, and they drafted Thomas in the first round last year. They also drafted Eric Decker in the mid rounds last year and I think he has some promise. I am definitly not saying they have the best WR's, but WR definitly isn't there biggest need.

I would personally be shocked to see the Broncos draft Green over Peterson.

I wouldn't mind peterson, but I strongly agree that he won't be there at 6. He's just too good, I wouldn't be surprised at all if a top 5 team (I'm thinking the bengals personally) would make a trade with another team to draft up and take him. I also just have this gut feeling panthers aren't going to go QB, but a safe pick in Dareus or Fairley, whoever they like better there. I would personally be shocked if the broncos don't take peterson at 2, or the bills at 3 if they don't like the QB class.

I think the team that no one is talking a lot about that could have a huge impact on the browns is the cardinals. I personally don't see how the world they wouldn't draft QB, but i guess they don't like anyone that high, i'm not sure.

I would personally be shocked to see the Broncos draft Green over Peterson.

Am I missing something? I'd be shocked if the Broncos chose AJ Green at all. Demaryius Thomas has the potential to be a really, really good WR. Not to mention Llyod just had a career year so they're fine at that position.

Am I missing something? I'd be shocked if the Broncos chose AJ Green at all. Demaryius Thomas has the potential to be a really, really good WR. Not to mention Llyod just had a career year so they're fine at that position.

And I'll be shocked if the Browns draft Peterson period- whether he's on the board when we draft or not. DL\LB\WR all rank ahead of CB on the Browns need list. I don't care HOW good a CB is, someone's going to bust open if you give an NFL qb all day to throw- and the Browns ranked #25 in sacks. #1, I'll save you looking it up- the Steelers. Assuming he's there, I could see the Browns mightily trying to do a trade down to get extra picks.

And I'll be shocked if the Browns draft Peterson period- whether he's on the board when we draft or not. DL\LB\WR all rank ahead of CB on the Browns need list. I don't care HOW good a CB is, someone's going to bust open if you give an NFL qb all day to throw- and the Browns ranked #25 in sacks. #1, I'll save you looking it up- the Steelers. Assuming he's there, I could see the Browns mightily trying to do a trade down to get extra picks.

I am all for the Browns trading down and getting multiple picks. we do have too many holes overall. But Heckert will draft by BPA.

In Heckert I trust!

Thomaspro

Heckert has made it abundantly clear that he is going to draft BPA. This does not rule out that they could trade back, but that's only if the players he wants at 6 are not there, and Peterson is there. He is known for drafting very talented CBs, even when there was not reason for him to do so, and this year Cb is still somewhat of a need. Also I don't see LB being as much of a need anymore with the resigning of Jackson. I think our needs to DL/WR/DB/LB/ and then OL.

Heckert has made it abundantly clear that he is going to draft BPA. This does not rule out that they could trade back, but that's only if the players he wants at 6 are not there, and Peterson is there. He is known for drafting very talented CBs, even when there was not reason for him to do so, and this year Cb is still somewhat of a need. Also I don't see LB being as much of a need anymore with the resigning of Jackson. I think our needs to DL/WR/DB/LB/ and then OL.

2 more positions they will look at. Qb late round, and maybe a scatback as well. Dont forget about Cecil Short

Why would it be a surprise? He's far and away the best player (with AJ Green 2nd). And has everyone forgotten about free agency? It's not far-fetched we draft Peterson, especially considering we were a horrendous pass defense last year. It's not like teams were afraid to pass on us. It should always be BPA when we pick this high.

This draft is heavy on DL so we can afford to pick up another one 2nd round.

I don't mind trading down but only for the right price, and it would need to be more than mediocre starters and a late 1st rounder.

Linebacker isn't much of a need? Really? OK, which of our linebackers could start for the Steelers or Ravens? I'll give you Fujita, maybe. As far as Jackson is concerned, you're making a huge assumption he can stay healthy- which he hasn't been able to do for the last two seasons.

If you have 2 guys rated say 92 and 90 on your board, you're going to take the (slightly) lower rated guy if the need position is way weaker. LOL, you guys got corner fixation. Other than a really old Charles Woodson, the starting corners on the two Super Bowl teams aren't anything to write home about. You can get by with very average corners if your front seven is outstanding. and a killer DE will make a FAR greater impact on the Browns than a great CB with zero pass rush.

Why would it be a surprise? He's far and away the best player (with AJ Green 2nd). And has everyone forgotten about free agency? It's not far-fetched we draft Peterson, especially considering we were a horrendous pass defense last year. It's not like teams were afraid to pass on us. It should always be BPA when we pick this high.

This draft is heavy on DL so we can afford to pick up another one 2nd round.

I don't mind trading down but only for the right price, and it would need to be more than mediocre starters and a late 1st rounder.

See above- teams were passing on the Browns because there was no pass rush to speak of, unless we blitzed linebackers. Now I agree this is an all-time heavy draft on DL, but I still say take Green if he's on the board.

Far and away? Maybe, but CBs don't usually get taken that high- because of the relative impact on play. and as was stated elsewhere Peterson's KR value just wen down due to the rule change.

See above- teams were passing on the Browns because there was no pass rush to speak of, unless we blitzed linebackers. Now I agree this is an all-time heavy draft on DL, but I still say take Green if he's on the board.

Far and away? Maybe, but CBs don't usually get taken that high- because of the relative impact on play. and as was stated elsewhere Peterson's KR value just wen down due to the rule change.

Fair enough.

I would take AJ Green too (but only if Peterson isn't there), for what it's worth. To me, only Peterson and Green are worthy of that #6 pick unless Fairley is still there (which I don't think he will). Other than that, we trade down because some people are actually stupid enough to believe Julio Jones and JJ Watt should be taken at that spot.

But I think another fair assessment is if Haden (who's the inferior prospect coming out of college) can get chosen as high as he did, Peterson shouldn't be out of the question.

If Peterson is there at 6 you should take him. BPA not to mention we can then move Brown to Safety. Brown said he does not mind playing Safety. So we need to do this if Peterson is there at 6.

We have no OFFENSE SO IT IS LOGICAL we draft defense.................DUH????????????????????????????

We have no OFFENSE SO IT IS LOGICAL we draft defense.................DUH????????????????????????????

except for WR I'd say we are adequate on Offense, Offense is a ton about schemes and Mangini and Daboll sucked at it..

We have ONE D lineman. The battle is won in the trenches and these days has a lot to do with pass rushing (which we have none to speak of)... We need D-linemen and there will be some very good ones there at 6. it doesnt matter how good our secondary is if we cant get to the QB

Id take Peterson in a second assuming Green is gone and neither Fairley or Dareus are there,even if they are he'd still be in consideration simply because he may be the best player in this draft...This draft is very deep with D-Lineman so thats why i wouldnt mind ethier Green or Peterson in the first.

In the second we could easily adress the D-Line considering there will be first round talent there when we pick..Marvin Austin,Drake Nevis,Cam Heyward,Stephen Paea the list goes on, all these guys have a chance of being there when we pick and could make an impact from day one..

Id love to have ethier Peterson or Green with the first selection they both may not be there in which case id like to trade back and grab maybe Cameron Jordan or Julio Jones perhaps

Id take Peterson in a second assuming Green is gone and neither Fairley or Dareus are there,even if they are he'd still be in consideration simply because he may be the best player in this draft...This draft is very deep with D-Lineman so thats why i wouldnt mind ethier Green or Peterson in the first.

In the second we could easily adress the D-Line considering there will be first round talent there when we pick..Marvin Austin,Drake Nevis,Cam Heyward,Stephen Paea the list goes on, all these guys have a chance of being there when we pick and could make an impact from day one..

Id love to have ethier Peterson or Green with the first selection they both may not be there in which case id like to trade back and grab maybe Cameron Jordan or Julio Jones perhaps

I'll even give you that Peterson is the best player in the draft (IMHO he isn't). Maybe he even has Dion Sanders potential (drafted 5th overall BTW, and only won Super Bowls with teams that were already loaded- the 49ers and Cowboys). You HAVE to factor in the position he plays. I'll give you $5 for every cornerback you can name on the Colts roster when they won the Super Bowl without looking it up. (Hint: I just did, and I don't remember any of them)

Potential to change a game & rough value to a team. You can argue about the relative ranking, (other than QB) but I doubt you can put CB anywhere on this list.

#1 QB

#2 DL

#3 LT

#4 LB

#5 WR

#6 RB

The Browns already have a pretty decent corner in Joe Hayden, so we need another? Not in my book. 2010 was different, because we had a desperate need for a defensive back- you might nit-pick and say there were wrs still on the board we could have taken a shot at. The Steelers made the SB, and neither of their corners are as good as Joe. Peterson's return skills are minimized to the Browns because we already have a GREAT KR in Cribbs. The Browns are only set @ #1 (maybe), #3, & #6.

I'll even give you that Peterson is the best player in the draft (IMHO he isn't). Maybe he even has Dion Sanders potential (drafted 5th overall BTW, and only won Super Bowls with teams that were already loaded- the 49ers and Cowboys). You HAVE to factor in the position he plays. I'll give you $5 for every cornerback you can name on the Colts roster when they won the Super Bowl without looking it up. (Hint: I just did, and I don't remember any of them)

Potential to change a game & rough value to a team. You can argue about the relative ranking, (other than QB) but I doubt you can put CB anywhere on this list.

#1 QB

#2 DL

#3 LT

#4 LB

#5 WR

#6 RB

The Browns already have a pretty decent corner in Joe Hayden, so we need another? Not in my book. 2010 was different, because we had a desperate need for a defensive back- you might nit-pick and say there were wrs still on the board we could have taken a shot at. The Steelers made the SB, and neither of their corners are as good as Joe. Peterson's return skills are minimized to the Browns because we already have a GREAT KR in Cribbs. The Browns are only set @ #1 (maybe), #3, & #6.

I definitely agree, DL is a wayyy more important position than CB, they have the chance to have an impact on EVERY play on defense and they are the first line of defense (pun kinda intended)..

The thing a lot of people are forgetting i think is that we need 3 more STARTING D-LINEMEN! (dont give me shit about Roth, Benard, or Shaefwhatever), Rubin is the only starting lineman we have. We will get crushed EVERY GAME esp in the AFC North without at least 2 good to very good MORE linemen..

Yea BPA is ideal and ultimately the way to go, but to avoid being miserable next year we need an IMPACT player (Peterson is but it wont mean shit when the QB has all day to throw). And oh wait, this draft is stacked with TOP NOTCH D-linemen, its not like we will be reaching at #6 for one. Personally I'd like to go DE and DT with the first two rounds, that would have the biggest impact on our team (if they pan out obviously..)

I like Green and wouldnt be mad at all with him, but Id take one of the stud DL before anyone else (probably before Green as well)

#1 QB

#2 DL

#3 LT

#4 LB

#5 WR

#6 RB

First, while I concede that point, the Colts aren't the best example. Peyton Manning could very well end up the greatest quarterback of all time. Not to mention that superbowl year was when Bob Sanders AKA mr. glass was actually playing.

Second, we have no one else on the other side at CB. It's not like our secondary is suddenly a strength. Outside of Haden, we have a pathetically weak secondary. Almost as weak as our defensive line. The everlasting conundrum goes: you need a strong defensive line to buy your secondary time, but you also need a strong secondary to buy your defensive line time.

And though it's subjective, i'd go #1 QB, #2 OL, #3 DL, #4 DB. I'd put it #4 behind the 3 most important positions. RBs are a dime a dozen so i'm not sure how you can say it's more valuable than CB. WR is a tossup, but when you have a great QB, you can get past those deficiencies with a great system and coach. I feel like you're severely underrating the CB position a la Darrelle Revis.

cheers

I definitely agree, DL is a wayyy more important position than CB, they have the chance to have an impact on EVERY play on defense and they are the first line of defense (pun kinda intended)..

The thing a lot of people are forgetting i think is that we need 3 more STARTING D-LINEMEN! (dont give me shit about Roth, Benard, or Shaefwhatever), Rubin is the only starting lineman we have. We will get crushed EVERY GAME esp in the AFC North without at least 2 good to very good MORE linemen..

Yea BPA is ideal and ultimately the way to go, but to avoid being miserable next year we need an IMPACT player (Peterson is but it wont mean shit when the QB has all day to throw). And oh wait, this draft is stacked with TOP NOTCH D-linemen, its not like we will be reaching at #6 for one. Personally I'd like to go DE and DT with the first two rounds, that would have the biggest impact on our team (if they pan out obviously..)

I like Green and wouldnt be mad at all with him, but Id take one of the stud DL before anyone else (probably before Green as well)

I agree that DL is slightly more important than a DB, but you're out of your zone if you truly believe it's "waaaaaaay" more important.

And you're dead-wrong. Aside from Dareus and Fairley, drafting a DL at the #6 spot is a big reach. It's deep, it's not top heavy.

Atleast hoorta made valid points, yours are just clouded opinions maced with subtle overtones in regards to your desire for a DL.

I agree that DL is slightly more important than a DB, but you're out of your zone if you truly believe it's "waaaaaaay" more important.

And you're dead-wrong. Aside from Dareus and Fairley, drafting a DL at the #6 spot is a big reach. It's deep, it's not top heavy.

Atleast hoorta made valid points, yours are just clouded opinions maced with subtle overtones in regards to your desire for a DL.

I disagree, I think this draft class is both top heavy and deep in D-linemen. With Bowers, Quinn, Dareus, and Fairley most likely going in the top 10, I'd say thats pretty top heavy as well. I know a lot of people have personal opinions and problems with several of those guys, but the experts by far agree that they are all valid going that high, it wouldnt be a reach to take any of those 4 at #6 (not to say they wont be a bust, but thats a different matter).

Also, what about TJ Ward in our secondary? (with your post before) A lot of experts think he was tremendous as a rookie, so thats 2 of the 4 in the secondary that are locked down. And considering Sheldon was playing hurt a lot towards the end of the season, I think he is an adequate starter. Im not saying our secondary is a strength by any means but it is way better than the status of our D-line.

And yes I do have subtle overtones in regards to my desire for a DL, just like you want Peterson, they are all opinions from fans. All Im saying is this years draft class has elite and deep talent at the DL position. The DL positions are more significant (maybe just slightly but w/e) than DBs. And our DL is in worse shape than our secondary. I think if we have Peterson ranked a 96 and a D-lineman ranked a 95, Id go with the DL for more impact on our team. I wouldnt reach too far at all (ie dont pick JJ Watt or Jordan) but Id def pick a similar ranked DL over Peterson if thats the way Heckert et. al. sees it...

Archived