THE BROWNS BOARD

Which Injured Browns' Return Could Have The Biggest Impact?

SJ_Browns

Which Cleveland Browns player will have the biggest impact this season?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cleveland Browns player will have the biggest impact this season?

• OL Tony Pashos
    • LB Kaluka Maiava
    • LB/Special teams ace Blake Costanzo
    • TE Evan Moore
    • DL Robaire Smith
    • LB D'Qwell Jackson
    • OL Billy Yates
    • RB Montario Hardesty
    • CB Eric Wright
    • LB Scott Fujita

I saw this article and poll on cleve.com and thought it brought up a really good question. Who do you think will have the biggest impact and why do you think they'll have the biggest impact?

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/04/cleveland_browns_fans_which_in.html

There's no denying that the Cleveland Browns had a pretty good draft in 2010. Three starters -- Joe Haden, T.J. Ward and Colt McCoy -- out of eight picks is a pretty good accounting. Had Montario Hardesty not been hurt, he might've made it four.

Peyton Hillis did a reasonably good job (that's sarcasm, by the way) filling in for Hardesty. So good, in fact, that he emerged as a star and is contending for the cover on the popular video game "Madden 2012." That means that Hardesty probably will go into the 2011 season as the backup (if there IS a 2011 season).

But even Hillis' breakout performance wasn't enough to squash the injury bug, which probably cost the Browns at least two games last season.

Hardesty is only one of several Browns who suffered injuries that shut them down for the year. Also lost were linebackers Scott Fujita and D'Qwell Jackson,, cornerback Eric Wright, offensive lineman Tony Pashos, tight end Evan Moore and special teams standout Blake Costanzo.

Those are just some of the guys on injured reserve. There were other injuries -- the high ankle sprains suffered by quarterbacks Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace -- and the chronic injuries of Shaun Rogers that were a factor in his poor play (and subsequent release). Not to mention the toe injury that hobbled Josh Cribbs, on top of the concussion from the blow by Steelers linebacker James Harrison, and the concussion suffered by Harrison's other victim, receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

So, the question is: Which injured Brown's return will have the biggest favorable impact on the team? For this poll, we're sticking with the guys on injured reserve.

Ill go Evan Moore because i think he has all the potential to be a great TE in this league and fits the WCO perfectly also theres been alot of news that his role next year will be alot bigger...

I guess aside from him id go Hardesty assuming he can stay healthy he should get some carries when Hillis needs a break

Ill go Evan Moore because i think he has all the potential to be a great TE in this league and fits the WCO perfectly also theres been alot of news that his role next year will be alot bigger...

I guess aside from him id go Hardesty assuming he can stay healthy he should get some carries when Hillis needs a break

my feelings exactly. i think evan will have the biggest impact and i think he will do well in the wco.

i don't know if montario will stay healthy to even get on the field this season. let alone play for a significant amount of time.

i'm also not sure about dq and his health as well as his size and if he can make a difference in the nfl's 4-3. those were my other 2 choices, but i chose evan over them for the previously specified reasons.

Scott fujita the defense suffered tremendously after he got hurt.

Exactly. Fujita would have been a pro bowler easy if he never got injured. The offense didn't change much with Moore out (should be different this year since we actually will have an offense). My runner up would be Jackson who is a dominating player when he doesn't find himself on IR.

Yeah i thought about going Fujita but we'll be in the 4-3 this year and i think he was really becoming a monster in that Rob Ryan 3-4,not saying hes not gonna have a great year this year i see big things for him...

I just see Evan Moore having a breakout season and becoming one of the better TEs in the league eventually becoming the future TE for the Browns once Watson becomes a lil older

Yeah i thought about going Fujita but we'll be in the 4-3 this year and i think he was really becoming a monster in that Rob Ryan 3-4,not saying hes not gonna have a great year this year i see big things for him...

I just see Evan Moore having a breakout season and becoming one of the better TEs in the league eventually becoming the future TE for the Browns once Watson becomes a lil older

a case can be made for a few of the players on that list. but i'm sticking with evan. i just see him getting alot of opportunities because he probably won't get alot of attention from opposing defenders. i really see his chances of having a good year increasing even more if the browns pick up a good wr via trade, fa or draft. bring a guy like aj in and the attention will definitely be off of evan.

For all the reason mentioned or thought of...Fujita in My book...His impact was sorely missed.

He did have a great year in the 3-4, but his natural position is the 4-3 and just his knowledge of the defense is going to make him worth having in the linebacking corps again. We keep this guy healthy and I can see 80-100 tackles with 7 sacks and 1-2 INT's in his future.

He did have a great year in the 3-4, but his natural position is the 4-3 and just his knowledge of the defense is going to make him worth having in the linebacking corps again. We keep this guy healthy and I can see 80-100 tackles with 7 sacks and 1-2 INT's in his future.

I was thinking maybe around 100 tackles at best and around 4 sacks..

If he gets 100 tackles with 7 sacks he could easily win Defenseive MVP of the league

Think of how close he would have been if he played the second half of the season.

O i know and i dont doubt he cant get there, he was are true Mvp of the defense last year, it'll be nice to have him for an entire season to help lead are D

If D'Qwell can be a glimpse of what many fans thought he was, then we'll win a Superbowl.

Im not expecting much from D'Qwell...I meanthis is going on what his 4th-5th season?

I didn't vote because, as 'peen stated, any & all of them would have an impact. While they received no votes, the return of those offensive linemen is pretty darned important. Sometimes it's the sum of the parts.

Mike

I wanted to vote for the two O-line guys, Fujita and Jackson but I decided to ultimately go with Jackson.

Fujita is a pure leader and I think the defense did suffer tremendously when he was gone but it's expected of him to make a big impact on our D after what he did last year.

Jackson is a 4 - 3 LB at heart and I really think the guy will shine now that we're switching back.

If D'Qwell can be a glimpse of what many fans thought he was, then we'll win a Superbowl.

D'Qwell's numbers have always been inflated due to how much our D was on the field. He was never an elite linebacker.

By the way, what does everyone think about Fujita and his adjustment to the 4-3? I dont think he'll do as well as some of you are saying. Hopefully I'm wrong.

While they received no votes, the return of those offensive linemen is pretty darned important. Sometimes it's the sum of the parts.

Mike

great point about the o-line men. colt is going to need all the protection he can get so anything these guys can do to help the cause would be great. i said earlier in this thread that a case can be made for a number of people on the list. it will be interesting to monitor these players and see how much they can contribute this season.

By the way, what does everyone think about Fujita and his adjustment to the 4-3? I dont think he'll do as well as some of you are saying. Hopefully I'm wrong.

i don't know how deeply rooted fujita is in the 4-3 d (college and early pro-career), but he played 4 yrs in the saints 4-3 d and he did just fine. it won't be a switch for him, it will be a switch back to the 4-3 d.

I read somewhere that the reason the Eagles wanted to let go of Chris Gocong was because he wasnt a very good 4-3 linebacker, im trying to find the link....Any truth in that???

Ya and at the same time it was two years ago. We won't know until we seem him play in the 4-3 again. Even if he doesn't do to well I could see them just switching him to outside and Jackson in, or even have him play DE like he did in college.

Ya and at the same time it was two years ago. We won't know until we seem him play in the 4-3 again. Even if he doesn't do to well I could see them just switching him to outside and Jackson in, or even have him play DE like he did in college.

Yeah thinks for clearing that up for me, i guess if he dosent not do to well we should put him at DE in pass rush situations sorta like Marcus Benard, and just let him get after the QB...He also offers depth and i know hes a team guy so hes not a huge problem for me...Even though i think we should take a look at LB in the draft..If DQ gets hurt again things will be thin, i actually think he will do very well next year...

Id like Casey Matthews in the 4th if hes there just for some depth

I feel like saying "J. Cribbs"

I think he was a lot more injured than anyone thinks. If he could come back to his former glory, it would have a great impact on the team.

Well by the looks of it there could be alot of guys who could have a breakout season next year, things are looking better for Cleveland each season...We need to add an impact draft class like last year and we could be in the hunt

I went with Hardesty...My thought is that behind Hillis, we had no one that made a significant contribution carrying the ball. If Hardesty can stay healthy, I believe he is a very close second behind Hillis and can really add a lot of depth to this running game allowing Peyton a catch his breath no and then. Hardesty will gain some yards and in doing so, will allow Peyton to stay fresh and healthy to gain more yards too!

No love for Billy Yates...

I think we are anxious to see Hardesty with the tantalizing image of a Hillis/Hardesty backfield blowing through holes paved by our o-line and Colt rocking the WCO. Hardesty is like a bonus pick in the draft ... so we can concentrate on other areas.

Zombo

Archived