THE BROWNS BOARD

My Take On The First Day

Ok guys, a lot has been said about Phil Taylor already. Some think it's a good pick, some think it's garbage. I've had a night to think about it and here's my take.

First of all, I LOVE the trade H&H made with Atlanta last night. We got some great picks. It was nice to see a trade for good value on draft day. As far as Taylor goes, I was upset and very worried at first. However, now that I have had time to think about it, the more I like the pick. He can stop the run and take up double teams. However, there is a flip side to this: we need to rush the QB. The Taylor pick only makes sense if we get a pass rusher tonight. That's what we need most now. We need a DE to put pressure on the QB more than anything. H&H look like geniuses if they are able to get a pas rushing DE to compliment Taylor and none of us will be questioning them.

As far as the second pick tonight goes, I am not sold on a WR. The question you have to ask yourself if this: are any of these wide receivers better than MoMass and Cribbs/Robiskie? I am not sold on that being the case. Yes, Hankerson, Smith and Young looked good at the combine but do not have the speed/size to be a legit number 1. I think that we should go with OLB or O lineman with our second 2nd round pick. We can get a WR either next year or via free agency.

That's my take on the first 2 rounds. Please be kind with your responses :rolleyes: Go Browns!

Agree completely on the Taylor take. It could pan out to be a great pick...but there were some real good players still on the board at 21. Not that upset though. Not totally on board with your plan for the 2nd round though. Yes, I agree that sometime today we need that pass rushing DE. But I really think we need to get one of the WR still on the board. I really wanted Julio Jones on this team, but I applaud the trade to get more picks this year and next. But we have a young QB with no big play threat to throw to. His leading receiver was a TE we got out of someone else's garbage. Don't get me wrong, Watson is a hell of a TE, but he was done in N.E. If we expect Colt to succeed, then we need to at least attempt to give him someone to throw to that can stretch the field and make a big play. MoMass and Robiskie are not that guy...at least not from what we've seen to this point. And Cribbs, although he has shown vast improvement at WR, likely will never be that guy as a WR...he's more suited to run the ball and handle returns. So I think we still need that WR in the 2nd.

Agree completely on the Taylor take. It could pan out to be a great pick...but there were some real good players still on the board at 21. Not that upset though. Not totally on board with your plan for the 2nd round though. Yes, I agree that sometime today we need that pass rushing DE. But I really think we need to get one of the WR still on the board. I really wanted Julio Jones on this team, but I applaud the trade to get more picks this year and next. But we have a young QB with no big play threat to throw to. His leading receiver was a TE we got out of someone else's garbage. Don't get me wrong, Watson is a hell of a TE, but he was done in N.E. If we expect Colt to succeed, then we need to at least attempt to give him someone to throw to that can stretch the field and make a big play. MoMass and Robiskie are not that guy...at least not from what we've seen to this point. And Cribbs, although he has shown vast improvement at WR, likely will never be that guy as a WR...he's more suited to run the ball and handle returns. So I think we still need that WR in the 2nd.

I completely agree that we need a WR. You have to figure that at least 1, probably 2, of the WRs left will be very good, but it's a crap shoot to as who it is. I would much rather try to acquire one in free agency than take a chance in the draft.

I say we only take WR in the 2nd round if one of the really good DE's don't fall to our second pick. Houston from Georgia is on a free fall and heck maybe Bowers keeps falling. DE should be our first pick, if not one of the top CB's like Williams or Harris. WR should not be looked at until the 4th or 5th.

I think the reason the Taylor pick looks crazy was that we all went in with the feeling that if a DT was taken, it was going to be a smaller guy with good pass rush. I think the fact of the matter is we have a group of DT's right now who are more undersized (they played DE's last year) who can be put in for the under DT pass rush every now and then (Shafering doesn't do too bad of a job). Plus for standard 4-3's you see one big DT and one smaller one, and one bigger DE and one smaller or quicker one. Now we have to big DT's, not making it much of a stretch to say that we are going for two smaller, quicker DE's in the system.

I know alot of you guys wanted Paea in the second, well Taylor is the same thing as Paea, a run stopper.

I'm a bit disappointed the Browns didn't take an impact player and opted for warm bodies but it's hard to tell at this time. Really thought they would look for a game changer and try to compete in 2011. Anyway hope there will be some WR's taken in the 2nd.

Kure Beach, Ft. Fisher and most all of the OBX is barreling so I'm off for the weekend. Gotta keep my high from a week on the North Shore going. Maholo, Aloha!!!

I have thought that we have needed help on Defense more so than on Offense. I know I know I know that it seems that our offense we putrid at times, but I don't think we had a very offensive minded OC and HC. Prior to the season we heard about all these new formations and what not, and how Cribbs was going to be utilized. How did that work out for us? It didn't and we saw a very mediocre year for Cribbs. That's coaching IMO.

We had some very good offensive games against, the Saints and the Pats, but it seemed like we got over conservative with lesser teams. I think our WR's are a decent bunch of guys, but I don't think we had and Offense that utilized them correctly and under utilized guys like Evan Moore. I have a feeling that H&H see something in our Offense that Mangini and Daboll did not use properly.

Time will tell, but I think securing our D is a good way to go. We have some talent in offense, let's just see it put to use this year.

I was all in favor of taking DL with Browns first pick. The Browns were highly vulnerable against the run, and this guy certainly fills the bill of being a young Shaun Rogers type run stuffer. But a pass rusher definitely needs to be addressed.

Yes we do need a pass rusher, more DL help is needed. It looks like the plan the front office has they are going to stop the run and make people pass against us. With Rubin and Taylor clogging the middle it should make running against us a lot harder. Be interesting to see how today shakes out.

My Take - Optimistic but not satisfied.

Iam worried about the foot problems that Phil has been associated with esp. since Hardesty has been on the same boat. Does us taking him mean we are slowly moving away from Big Baby ? I hoper we do not draft WR's in the second round and just get an established solid one through the free agency. Hopefully we concentrate more on solidifying our Offensive line as far as the Offense side of things goes.

Iam worried about the foot problems that Phil has been associated with esp. since Hardesty has been on the same boat. Does us taking him mean we are slowly moving away from Big Baby ? I hoper we do not draft WR's in the second round and just get an established solid one through the free agency. Hopefully we concentrate more on solidifying our Offensive line as far as the Offense side of things goes.

Shaun Rogers is no longer on the Browns roster, so we are not moving "slowly" away from him. We sprinted away and left him in the dust. In fact, I think he is now on the Saints roster.

Listen, our first day couldn't have been better. We got a ton of value with trading with the falcons.

As a browns fan it is about time we did one of these trades. As fans we always want that sexy pic. This puts our team in great position to add a butt load of talent this year and next..

Plus, and this isn't what I'm hoping for but let's say colt mccoy doesn't look like he is the guy after this year. This gives us ammunition to go up and get an andrew luck!

Listen, our first day couldn't have been better. We got a ton of value with trading with the falcons.

As a browns fan it is about time we did one of these trades. As fans we always want that sexy pic. This puts our team in great position to add a butt load of talent this year and next..

Plus, and this isn't what I'm hoping for but let's say colt mccoy doesn't look like he is the guy after this year. This gives us ammunition to go up and get an andrew luck!

I was afraid of this... I really don't want anything to do with Luck.

His foot issues turned out to be false rumors from everything I have heard. Heckert said that not only did the NFL give his foot a clean bill or healthy, but the team doctors found nothing wrong with it after all the x-rays and mri's.

The only thing I didn't like about Phil is his Twitter saying "Washington DC/Waco, TX gonna go get that money, ya dig?". To me, that's a big problem. Let's hope the guy has his head and heart in the right place.

Yeah, I couldn't help but notice that watch he was wearing- loan money from an agent? That toy had to cost at least 10 grand.

Im dissapointed because there where better players at the pick available on the board and why they took a guy whose a 3 tech stance 3-4 guy made absoluetly no sense whatsover. hes a 3-4 NT not a 4-3 DE/DT. and upon listening to him talk...He sounds like a dumb bag of rocks. Book it "BUST"

Im dissapointed because there where better players at the pick available on the board and why they took a guy whose a 3 tech stance 3-4 guy made absoluetly no sense whatsover. hes a 3-4 NT not a 4-3 DE/DT. and upon listening to him talk...He sounds like a dumb bag of rocks. Book it "BUST"

You know what: Oddly, I will trust Heckert and Holmgren's judgment on talent evaluation more than I will trust yours. Can you possibly imagine why that would be?

Considering that he HAS PLAYED IN A 4-3 HIS WHOLE COLLEGE CAREER I think he will do fine. And please name who was a better player to play 4-3 DT at not just 21 but spot 27. There was Cam Jordan, who is too big for a 4-3 DE and too small for a 4-3 DT (not to mention that he never played DT in college so there would be a learning curve) and then there is that dude from Temple who is just 15 pounds lighter that Taylor (but played in a much weaker league against much weaker competition) and then there was Cameron Heyward who could have moved into DT (but he is coming off a serious injury and would still have to put on at least 10 to 20 pounds since he is only like 290). Oh and you know what else I read. Taylor is still losing weight, and Shurmer said that when he shows up to the facility that he is going to tell him to stop losing weight and keep it where it currently is. Cause apparently THEY WANTED A GUY HIS SIZE!!!

gotta agree with the stated mentality on the board regarding Brown's NOT being one player away from division champ/playoffs/super bowl. H & H seem rooted in the reality

that the Browns have a multitude of needs in every phase and the quickest way to plug the holes is to bring in as many quality players as possible. I like the trade with

ATL and firmly believe it will pay dividends as the Brown's claw their way back to the top of the division.

You know what: Oddly, I will trust Heckert and Holmgren's judgment on talent evaluation more than I will trust yours. Can you possibly imagine why that would be?

Agreed. We are building a DL from inside out. Stuffing the run inside is a priority, not only in our division, but toward allowing our outside guys the freedom to get disruptive. I like the table that is being set & I have complete trust in H, H & Co. This is fun stuff to watch.

Mike

Archived