THE BROWNS BOARD

Jim Tressel Tenders Resignation

Jim Tressel tenders resignation

Embattled coach Jim Tressel, two months after apologizing for fallout that resulted in suspensions for him and several of his players, has resigned from Ohio State.

After meeting with university officials, we agreed that it is in the best interest of Ohio State that I resign as head football coach. The appreciation that Ellen and I have for the Buckeye Nation is immeasurable.

-- Jim Tressel

Assistant coach Luke Fickell, who had been named to fill in for Tressel during the first five games of the 2011 season in which he was to be suspended, will take over as the interim head coach, Ohio State said in the news release.

Tressel was entering his 11th season as head coach for the Buckeyes. He finishes with a 106-22 record at Ohio State (66-14 in the Big Ten). He won a national championship in 2002, seven Big Ten championships, including the past six, and had a 9-1 record against Michigan.

School president E. Gordon Gee announced Tressel's departure in a letter sent to Ohio State trustees.

"As you all know, I appointed a special committee to analyze and provide advice to me regarding issues attendant to our football program," the letter said, according to The Columbus Dispatch, which first reported Tressel's decision. "In consultation with the senior leadership of the University and the senior leadership of the Board, I have been actively reviewing the matter and have accepted Coach Tressel's resignation.

"My public statement will include our common understanding that throughout all we do, we are one university with one set of standards and one overarching mission," Gee wrote in the letter, according to the Columbus newspaper. "The University's enduring public purposes and its tradition of excellence continue to guide our actions."

The news comes two weeks after Buckeyes athletic director Gene Smith affirmed his support for the coach amid an ongoing NCAA investigation for rules violations.

"We look forward to refocusing the football program on doing what we do best -- representing this extraordinary university and its values on the field, in the classroom, and in life," Smith said in the statement. "We look forward to supporting Luke Fickell in his role as our football coach. We have full confidence in his ability to lead our football program."

At the Big Ten spring meetings earlier this month, Smith -- while declining to discuss any details of an ongoing NCAA investigation of Tressel -- said his outlook toward the coach's position hadn't wavered.

"Oh, definitely, no question," Smith had said. "I haven't changed, I haven't changed. But I'm not talking about the case beyond that."

Smith noted last month in an interview with The Associated Press that Tressel should have apologized at a March 8 news conference, where Tressel first acknowledged he failed to notify Ohio State officials of emails he received about some of his players receiving improper benefits. In late March, during an almost hour-long news conference, Tressel apologized for letting people down and acknowledged that some may view him as a cheater.

Smith has also talked about the high legal costs Ohio State is dealing with, calling the ongoing NCAA situation "a nightmare."

Tressel also received support at the spring meetings from fellow coaches such as Michigan State's Mark Dantonio and Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald, as well as from Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne, a longtime friend.

"Coaches are great," Tressel said. "They understand all the challenges everyone has. It's good to be with them."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guy I work with has a friend in the Athletic Department at OSU and he told me two weeks ago that this was going to happen, I expected to happen sooner though. Why resign on Memorial Day?

Why not??

This was probably the only outcome that could come from this.

Yes, the guy made a mistake....a big one, but he is still a fine man who has done much good. Time will lessen the stain.

With this action as remedy, my hope is OSU doesn't get hammered with sanctions, because the reason for the problem is gone. Any actions taken by the NCAA will now mostly impact innocent people.....players, coaches, fans.

No doubt something is going to happen...which is probably why this action was taken at this point.

I hope it isn't so sever the university and football program suffer for years to come.

This much we know...Tressel is through as OSU's Head Coach. What happens from this point forward is unknown. My concern is how severe sanctions may be & for how long the program will suffer. Regardless how severe the sanctions, OSU football & all associated with it have my support.

Jim Tressel & his Family will be in my prayers.

Mike

Why not??

Yes, the guy made a mistake....a big one, but he is still a fine man who has done much good. Time will lessen the stain.

With this action as remedy, my hope is OSU doesn't get hammered with sanctions, because the reason for the problem is gone. Any actions taken by the NCAA will now mostly impact innocent people.....players, coaches, fans.

No doubt something is going to happen...which is probably why this action was taken at this point.

I hope it isn't so sever the university and football program suffer for years to come.

Everything I've read today leads to multiple heavy sanctions and OSU getting raked over the coals.

you can't blame pryor. this is 100% on tressel. he alone made the decision to cover up the misdeeds.

yeah he covered up their misdeeds. no misdeeds, no cover up. the whole thing stinks. couldn't there be a separate housing structure where athletes stayed for free but it was mandatory for them to be there and not off campus?

pryor is a dick because he sold sh.t for tattoos. different than paying rent. meanwhile he's probably been given everything to him since someone noticed he could throw the ball 60 yards.

Tressel didn't do anything that any other division 1 coach wouldn't have done and more than likely 99% have already done. He went down protecting his players the same way you or I would protecting our family, much respect to him for that.

Whatever happened to teaching? Is it in the best interest of an 18 year old kid to exploit and embarrass him?, or teach and punish in house as a family, that is what they go to college to do right? Learn?.. But it's more important for the NCAA to make sure they protect their brand at the expense of kids while making millions off them. Tressel did the absolute right thing and shame on the NCAA for not recognizing that.

Why not??

Pretty sad that a tattoo parlor and NCAA rules that are absolutely completely IDIOTICALLY STUIPD executed a fine man and great coach who gave his all with class for 25 years. Representative of how distorted the values of this nation have become

Pretty sad that a tattoo parlor and NCAA rules that are absolutely completely IDIOTICALLY STUIPD executed a fine man and great coach who gave his all with class for 25 years. Representative of how distorted the values of this nation have become

Yes I blame our nation for the fall of SMU and USC football too. I don't blame the players or coaches for being crooked, I blame the whole US!

OSUcks

Yes I blame our nation for the fall of SMU and USC football too. I don't blame the players or coaches for being crooked, I blame the whole US!

OSUcks

Sorry for speaking way over you limited thinking head. What happened to Tressel, a great person, is representative in a small way what happened to our nation. We allow the war machine as I speak on this Memorial Day, to allow leaders to murder and kill with no consequence based on lies, and we allow the bankers to destroy the people based on lies and fraud with no consequence, and we allow network news to incessantly lie to the people without consequence..........

and yet we destroyed a great person because he attempted to shelter his players for breaking a STUPID Rule.........

if you give someone a gift, then it is theirs and they do whatever this wish with it, if NOT do not give them the gift............NCAA HYPOCRISY supreme..........

thanks for showing your lack of competence and depth

OSUcks

who cares what college team you like. you gotta be deaf, dumb and blind not to know the whole ncaa thing is broke. btw, quit hatin.

and yet we destroyed a great person because he attempted to shelter his players for breaking a STUPID Rule.........

As I said, I don't think this destroys the guy.

But....this isn't about the players breaking rules.

Jim failed to do what was required he do....report the incident.

I understand the protecting of players but he also had a responsibility to protect the game and the University.

Let's not try to shift blame to places it doesn't belong.

I aint going to lie, I am going to miss the sweater vest alittle bit. He made being a Buckeye fan feel as if the football team were structured, that they could beat a team that had more speed and strength by just using thier heads. The only thing that really makes me mad about him is that we always seemed to lose to the big schools. USC beat our asses both years, Texas beat us with Young and Colt, LSU pounded the farts out of us, and Florida made us look like we were a high school team. I hope we dont get more than a 2 year probabtion, because this year is a wash anyway with our stars out 5 games.

I am thinking it will be three years.

That isn't the biggie....the biggie is how many possible scholarships will be pulled?

Each year depletes the team of depth...and the impact is felt 3 years after the reductions are over...that last years class has 4 years to play, so you are going to be playing with that many fewer scholarship players since each year you are limited in the number you can give.

I love watching people defend this scumbag. I am guessing had this happened to oh, Michigan, everyone would be tearing them apart. Or lets see how everyone felt about USC last year with all that going down. Give me a break. And I love the crowd of "it is what every other school is doing". Really? Really???

There are two schools in D-1 who have never faced any sanctions or NCAA penalties... two. Stanford and Penn State.

Tressel is a great man? Wow? Really? he is a snake. He pulled the same bs at Youngstown State, and now here.

yes we are all Browns fans, but you look like Steeler fans defending now defending Rapistburger when had it been someone from the Ravens, Bengals or Browns would have been crucified. Please put down the Scarlet and Gray glasses and see this clown for what he is.

I love watching people defend this scumbag. I am guessing had this happened to oh, Michigan, everyone would be tearing them apart. Or lets see how everyone felt about USC last year with all that going down. Give me a break. And I love the crowd of "it is what every other school is doing". Really? Really???

There are two schools in D-1 who have never faced any sanctions or NCAA penalties... two. Stanford and Penn State.

Tressel is a great man? Wow? Really? he is a snake. He pulled the same bs at Youngstown State, and now here.

yes we are all Browns fans, but you look like Steeler fans defending now defending Rapistburger when had it been someone from the Ravens, Bengals or Browns would have been crucified. Please put down the Scarlet and Gray glasses and see this clown for what he is.

Great Post..Every great player Tressel had was in trouble, Qb at YSU, Troy, Clarrett and Pryor.

Great Post..Every great player Tressel had was in trouble, Qb at YSU, Troy, Clarrett and Pryor.

And defending Rapelesburger ??? Come on man... Not many Steeler fans were Happy he had put himself into the position to be accused of that stuff. But..bottom line NO Evidence because it was , what it was... A dumb athlete getting a Game ran on him. Believe the BS ...if you want ...which you will because your a Hater. But ... its pretty easy to figure out it was all BS. And this doesnt make Tressel a low life... did he make mistakes yes. But he is No snake. The system puts coaches in a precarious position. The System needs fixed. Anyone whos not a "Know it all" has to see that.

yes he deserved to get fired (or forced retirement) because he didn't report these thugs to the ncaa. if you think they're not thugs or typical punks who think they are the sh.t because they put on an athlete's uniform you are sadly mistaken. but to rip this guy and call him a snake and spew all this venom about a guy who has done nothing but try to help kids for over 25 years is a total misfire.

yeah usc desreved it. yes osu is deserving what they'll get now as well. but don't think that every athlete in every school from age whatever hasn't had their ass wiped and cleaned up after by their head coach and others since they became the big star of the team, so much so if they (god forbid) didn't suit up the team would get whooped. how you gonna explain that to all the fat cat alumn who has your job in their pockets?

joe freakin' pa is no exception, i'll guarantee it, mr. penn state.

He is not a scumbag.....I been following him closely for 25 years and am in reverance.....HOW LONG HAVE YOU FOLLOWED IN REVERENCE TO DETERMINE SCUMBAG.....MY bet is you know jack shit about Jim Tressel...if not explain in detail the how he is a scumbagt

you cant you wont...you are jjust another scumbag american

yes he deserved to get fired (or forced retirement) because he didn't report these thugs to the ncaa. if you think they're not thugs or typical punks who think they are the sh.t because they put on an athlete's uniform you are sadly mistaken. but to rip this guy and call him a snake and spew all this venom about a guy who has done nothing but try to help kids for over 25 years is a total misfire.

yeah usc desreved it. yes osu is deserving what they'll get now as well. but don't think that every athlete in every school from age whatever hasn't had their ass wiped and cleaned up after by their head coach and others since they became the big star of the team, so much so if they (god forbid) didn't suit up the team would get whooped. how you gonna explain that to all the fat cat alumn who has your job in their pockets?

joe freakin' pa is no exception, i'll guarantee it, mr. penn state.

Agreed PSU in the same Boat as the rest.

Archived