THE BROWNS BOARD

Bengals Fan Auctions Off Fandom & Is Now A Part Of Steeler Nation.

Gafreleets

The Bengal Fan Who Sold His Fandom & is Now a Part of Steeler Nation

OK so many of us heard about this story - the longtime, ticket holding Bengals fan (Brett Kostoff) who got fed up with Paul Brown and the Bungles and sold his fandom on eBay for $500+. Well, a member of Steeler Nation somewhere won the auction. The Bengals fan used the money to buy a bunch of Steelers memorabilia, and plans to be in the Burgh for a couple games this year.

He's been given a lot of attention on James Walker's AFC North Blog on ESPN. The first article below was met with tons of scorn from Bungles fans. There is a follow-up by Walker, 2nd article below.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Former Bengals fan joins Steeler Nation

Earlier this yearBrett Kostoff, a Cincinnati native and longtime Bengals fan, contacted the AFC North blog and said he was so fed up with the team's losing that he is auctioning off his fandom on eBay.

This week we caught up with Kostoff to get an update on which team he's supporting this season and how that transition is going. Here was his response:

"As far as the auction went, it sold for $510 to the Pittsburgh Steelers. I couldn't be happier, honestly. I know that might sound crazy coming from a former Bengals fan, but it's like going from the basement to the penthouse as far as football operations. I never disliked Pittsburgh like the rest of the city of Cincinnati. I always RESPECTED it. I've been 100 percent following everything Steelers since the auction ended, including watching the interviews and reading up on Cam Heyward, Marcus Gilbert and hoping that if Ike Taylor doesn't re-sign (hopefully he does) that Cortez Allen or Curtis Brown can step up! I'm not like the other die-hards that will write you and say how they should sign Nnamdi Asomugha. That will never happen in Pittsburgh. When is the last time they dropped that kind of money on a free agent? After reading your blog [Monday] about Mike Brown not trading Carson Palmer it only makes me that much happier about my decision! Everyone in this city will still bash Carson Palmer, Chad Ochocinco, T.O., Corey Dillon and myself and call us quitters. But as Einstein once said "Insanity -- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I think we all might be just ahead of the game. I've never been more excited about a season. Hopefully we actually have a season. I thought it would take me longer to make the transition than it did, but I actually dislike the Bengals as a whole and it may just be the 20 years of torment as a fan they put me through. Haha. Thanks for checking in."

Wow. Kostoff is very serious about his new fandom and happy to be a card-carrying member of Steeler Nation. He also sent the AFC North blog the picture of his new Steelers merchandise that you see above and provided a list of items he purchased with the auction money.

Here was Kostoff's complete list:

One signed 16x20 autograph picture of Troy Polamalu

One white-stitched NFL official Polamalu jersey

Two Terrible Towels

Two hooded sweatshirts (one of the black NFL equipment)

One black NFL equipment hat

One glass license plate with a Steelers logo

One black mini helmet in a Steelers display case

One yellow mini helmet in a Steelers display case

Was Kostoff wise to leave "Bengaldom" and switch allegiances to the Steelers? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Bengals-turned-Steelers fan responds

Last week former Cincinnati Bengals fan Brett Kostoff caused a tizzy in the AFC North blog after we updated his story on changing allegiances to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Fed up with the Bengals' losing ways, Kostoff sold his fandom on eBay for $510 and is now a card-carrying member of Steeler Nation.

Kostoff received a lot of criticism from our community. So, in fairness, we asked Kostoff if he wanted to respond to the heat he's received. Here was his message:

"For all the people who thought I CHOSE the Steelers, it was an AUCTION. The auction was open to all NFL teams and luckily a great organization had a fan that won the highest bid. The Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans, Washington Redskins, Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, Detroit Lions had just as much of a chance as the Steelers. People act like the only teams I listed was Steelers, Ravens, Patriots, Packers and Eagles as the teams I would like to be a fan of. The "bandwagon" fan is far from the truth, if that was the case I would have choose my new team on my own, not left it at the hands of the public. The bidding started at $19.95 and I had no clue if anyone would even look at the auction much less it get into the media. I guess people wanted me to not allow the Steelers to be in the bidding? If I was unhappy with how poorly an organization (Bengals) was being ran for 20 years, why would I leave a team off which has been a model for how an organization (Steelers) should be ran? That's not very smart. Bengals fans please realize Cincinnati is not a rival to Pittsburgh fans. The Ravens are the rival. Cincinnati's rival is Cleveland (comparable organizations).

"As far as never being a fan? I find it comical. Honestly, if you are/were a true fan for the past 20 seasons of the Bengals and haven't contemplated "What am I doing?" or "Why don't I just don't cheer for another team?" then you must not have been a true fan. I owned season tickets since Paul Brown Stadium opened in the first row of the stadium/ I guess all the "fair-weather" fans own those. I was still watching games in December between 1998-2002 when they had a combined 19-61 record. I was at games in December in 15 degree weather when they were finishing up those 4-12 seasons, while all these "so-called" true fans were at home. I cared so much, that when you feel like the owner doesn't care as much as you, something has to give. Cincinnati is full of fair-weather fans. The two playoff teams in 2005 and 2009 there was more Bengals fans all of sudden in Cincinnati then ever before. People screaming "I've always loved the Bengals." Right! Fool somebody else. I was at last season's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers when Carson Palmer went over 25,000 passing yards for his career and the entire stadium booed a QB who is the only one to lead them to those two playoff games in the last 20 seasons. I'm not the "true fans" who threw garbage in his yard after a loss. I'm not the true fan who called radio stations non-stop after every game yelling that Carson has to go. When Carson does say he wants out, which is what all fans around here wanted, everyone calls him a "quitter" and throws him under the bus. I don't blame Bengals fans for sticking with them and not doing what I have done. I invest a lot of time and money into the organization that I cheer for and 20 years of never seeing a playoff win was enough for me to take my money and loyalty elsewhere. If you paid your cable bill for 20 years and it only worked two (winning seasons) out of those 20 years, yet all your neighbors were getting eight out of 20 years, you wouldn’t inquire any more details since you've been loyal? What reward have Bengals fans gotten from ownership to remain loyal?

"As far as Pittsburgh fans go - I hope they can/will accept me. If they don't I understand. I will be up there for a few games and the majority of Pittsburgh fans have been great to me so far. I will put in my time, study and cheer them on as good going forward as any fan in Pittsburgh."

=============================================================================================

welcome aboard buddy!

So someone dumber than you, if that's possible Gafreleets, make's a statement about the Browns being comparable to the Bengals shitty franchise and it's like Christmas morning for you. So sad.

Right- the difference between the Browns and the Bengals is the ownership. Randy Lerner at least is willing to spend money on his team and tries to win. Mike Brown doesn't spend $$ (only cold weather team without an indoor facility), and has an inbred front office. As long as that stays the same, I agree with the defector the Bengals are never going to be a consistent winner Cincinnati. In fact, I thought it was going to be the Bengals, not the Browns who were going to move to Baltimore- due to their stellar non-support of the team when they're in the dumper yet again. Yup- it's a known fact the Bengal fans are the biggest bunch of fairweather bandwaggoners in the NFL.

At least with Holmgren and Heckert in charge, there's a chance things may turn around in Cleveland.

And sorry pal- if your loyalty to a team is for sale- we don't want you as a fan. True "fandom" can't be bought.

Just the thing a Stooler fan would be proud of. Is this supposed to impress us? Proud that someone paid this guy to become a fan? Which is the exact opposite by definition of a fan.

It's like saying you listen to ABBA because they have 20 top 10 hits.

I thought they only listen to banjo music in pittsburgh? or do they get fm reception in the trailer parks?

I guess the only thing that can be said about this guy is that he had the sense to get cash for selling his loyalty to the Steelers...though it is typical that it would be a Steeler fan that would actually be dumb enough to pay someone.

Usually, the FRAKs (FrontRunnerAssKissers) will sell their soul and loyalty for a few wins, not cash.

And who wants to bet that this putz will not jump right back onto the Bengal bandwagon of they come through with a decent season?

After all, for the $510.00 he got for "selling" his fandom, as far as I could tell from reading it, his fandom didn't come with any warranties.

Tell you what: any Steeler fan that wants to send me $500.00 for switching my allegiance, I will be glad to take your money, and I will guarantee to be a Steeler fan during the entire duration of the NFL Exhibition season.

(When the games are played for real though my loyalty warranty runs out).

Is anyone really surprised by this fair weather bungle fan selling his fandom to the stoolers?

We all know fair weather fans are the best bandwagon fans and the stoolers have a bloated overfilled wagon and many fans that will begin falling off at the first signs of back to back losing seasons..

Bengal fans are a disgrace to fans everywhere.

Is anyone really surprised by this fair weather bungle fan selling his fandom to the stoolers?

We all know fair weather fans are the best bandwagon fans and the stoolers have a bloated overfilled wagon and many fans that will begin falling off at the first signs of back to back losing seasons..

Again, the question is: why would anyone be so dumb as to want to pay a farthing for this POS's "loyalty".

Can any of our Steeler fans on this board explain this?

I mean, it is not like the Steeler's are so hard up for FRAKs that they have to start paying them.

Astounding.

Where's my check?

Could not agree with you more. Down here in the Dayton area a hour away from Cincy you are hard pressed to see hardy any Who-diz colors. Oh, if they are winning they pull out the jerseys that smell like moth balls or they all run to get new gear with the price tags still on them. As soon as they start losing as normal their colors are hid back away in the closet again. Who-daz: "Always have been fair weather fans and alway will be".

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is that this whole article was a publicity stunt to drum up something to talk about during the lock-out. However, (being a Steelers fan) I'm willing to up the Gipper's bet, in that I will agree to be a Browns fan for $500 cash for the entire 2011 NFL season, which will include...your choice of a Browns Avatar for my account, my "word" that I'll watch every Browns game televised in the Pittsburgh market and that I'll wear a Browns Jersey (despite how wretched ugly they are) every Sunday the Browns play.

My guess is that this whole article was a publicity stunt to drum up something to talk about during the lock-out. However, (being a Steelers fan) I'm willing to up the Gipper's bet, in that I will agree to be a Browns fan for $500 cash for the entire 2011 NFL season, which will include...your choice of a Browns Avatar for my account, my "word" that I'll watch every Browns game televised in the Pittsburgh market and that I'll wear a Browns Jersey (despite how wretched ugly they are) every Sunday the Browns play.

Go and put that offer on eBay or whatever, just like this guy did. But to get your $$, you may not want to limit it to the Browns. Yes, there is a sucker born every minute, but I doubt that anyone in Browns town is that big of a sucker.

(I will note this: you probably watch every Browns game shown in Pee-town anyway just to check out the competition. And though you might wear a Browns jersey every Sunday, that doesn't guarantee that you won't cover it with 3 layers of Steeler gear. The only thing you would have to do is to put up a Browns avatar on this board, on which you are a rare participant anyway....and I see you don't even have an avatar. Also, I note that you didn't say you would actually root for the Browns to win.

Nice Try though. We'll give you B+ for effort.

Mr. Gipper, assuming someone was "stupid" enough to take me up on that deal, I would be willing to discuss terms and conditions based upon the spirit of my offer.

Actually, I thought of another deal that would be far more interesting. Since there is more "personal" risk involved the cost to a Browns fan would be substantially higher. Anyways, for $1,000.00, a brand new browns jersey, a brand new browns jacket (and any other "tasteful" brand new browns gear of your choosing) plus two tickets to Hienz field for the Browns/Steelers game on 12/08/11, I will go to that game dressed only in Browns gear provided by you (i.e. no Steelers gear period) plus my own pants/underwear/shoes/etc. and yell any chants of your choosing (no foul language) at the top of my lungs for every Browns touchdown and/or field goal. I will also sign a waiver releasing you from any liability for physical damages incurred to my person as a result.

Mr. Gipper, assuming someone was "stupid" enough to take me up on that deal, I would be willing to discuss terms and conditions based upon the spirit of my offer.

Actually, I thought of another deal that would be far more interesting. Since there is more "personal" risk involved the cost to a Browns fan would be substantially higher. Anyways, for $1,000.00, a brand new browns jersey, a brand new browns jacket (and any other "tasteful" brand new browns gear of your choosing) plus two tickets to Hienz field for the Browns/Steelers game on 12/08/11, I will go to that game dressed only in Browns gear provided by you (i.e. no Steelers gear period) plus my own pants/underwear/shoes/etc. and yell any chants of your choosing (no foul language) at the top of my lungs for every Browns touchdown and/or field goal. I will also sign a waiver releasing you from any liability for physical damages incurred to my person as a result.

For $1000.00 bucks ill run onto the field and kick any Browns player of your choosing in the nuts as hard as I can.

Good luck with that.

lol, it sounds like i hit a nerve. got all the puppies in the place going "grrrrrrr". easy there, it's was just a funny story i thought might bring a small laugh at cinci's expense.

Again, the question is: why would anyone be so dumb as to want to pay a farthing for this POS's "loyalty".

Can any of our Steeler fans on this board explain this?

I mean, it is not like the Steeler's are so hard up for FRAKs that they have to start paying them.

Astounding.

Where's my check?

hey, some people just have more money than they know what to do with.

So having a fairweather fan is something to brag about in Pittsburgh? Sweet Christ.

did i ever brag? i must have missed it. easy there pup.

I didn't read a word of Steelerfag's BS post nor of any of the replies.

Cuz I don't feed the trolls.

anyone think this sounds a little foghorn leghorn'ish? "i say, i say, when i'm told to be quiet that's it, i just be quiet.......you ain't gotta tell me twice to shut my trap....no sir-ee bob, just tell me to shut it and that's all.......etc"

if you're not "feeding the trolls" than why even post? (i say, i say.....)

Go and put that offer on eBay or whatever, just like this guy did. But to get your $$, you may not want to limit it to the Browns. Yes, there is a sucker born every minute, but I doubt that anyone in Browns town is that big of a sucker.

(I will note this: you probably watch every Browns game shown in Pee-town anyway just to check out the competition. And though you might wear a Browns jersey every Sunday, that doesn't guarantee that you won't cover it with 3 layers of Steeler gear. The only thing you would have to do is to put up a Browns avatar on this board, on which you are a rare participant anyway....and I see you don't even have an avatar. Also, I note that you didn't say you would actually root for the Browns to win.

Nice Try though. We'll give you B+ for effort.

using the word competition in a free and loose way aren't you? at least when comparing the browns to the Steelers? you might be our opponents........but competition?

not so much.

lol, it sounds like i hit a nerve. got all the puppies in the place going "grrrrrrr". easy there, it's was just a funny story i thought might bring a small laugh at cinci's expense.

hey, some people just have more money than they know what to do with.

did i ever brag? i must have missed it. easy there pup.

anyone think this sounds a little foghorn leghorn'ish? "i say, i say, when i'm told to be quiet that's it, i just be quiet.......you ain't gotta tell me twice to shut my trap....no sir-ee bob, just tell me to shut it and that's all.......etc"

if you're not "feeding the trolls" than why even post? (i say, i say.....)

using the word competition in a free and loose way aren't you? at least when comparing the browns to the Steelers? you might be our opponents........but competition?

not so much.

Cleveland sweeps Pittsburgh this year!

Guest c-dawg

easy there, it's was just a funny story i thought might bring a small laugh at cinci's expense.

Coward, back off much? Stand your ground if you can.

Also, I said I don't feed the trolls, didn't say I don't bitch slap them, troll.

I'm a part of Bengal Nation, I hope this doesn't get me banned from the boards. This makes me sick to my stomach. This is what makes the baseball payroll/Yankees argument so prevalent. Fans do not get out and support their team and teams do not have the money to spend on good players. Pirates would be great if Pittsburgh fans showed them the kind of love they show the Steelers. So the mindset of sports fans needs to change. Ive got a lot of respect for Browns fans the way they have stuck with their team.

I'm a part of Bengal Nation, I hope this doesn't get me banned from the boards. This makes me sick to my stomach. This is what makes the baseball payroll/Yankees argument so prevalent. Fans do not get out and support their team and teams do not have the money to spend on good players. Pirates would be great if Pittsburgh fans showed them the kind of love they show the Steelers. So the mindset of sports fans needs to change. Ive got a lot of respect for Browns fans the way they have stuck with their team.

I will point out that the Bengals situation is totally unlike the Yankees. The Yankess can spend 250 million a year on roster salaries where some other MLB teams cannot afford 50 million.

That is not the case in the NFL with the salary cap. No other team is spending appreciably more on players than the Bengals are. Its just that the Bengals do a far worse job at spending the same money. (The Browns have also done a poor job spending their money over the last 13 years.)

And, by the way, I understand that one of the conditions that is being proffered under this new labor agreement is that each team will be required to spend at least 90% of the maximum salary cap. Thus, apparently, if it goes through, no NFL team will be able to spend more than 10% than any other team is spending.

In the past, Mike Brown has vociferously opposed this requirement...because he wanted to be as cheap as he could possibly be. Now it seems however that even he may going along with the program:

http://www7.rtsports.com/football-news/nfp-21d6a9b84af7a9aa4ba92f4c1c89ccb0

JWMANN2 Wrote:

Pirates would be great if Pittsburgh fans showed them the kind of love they show the Steelers.

If there were packed stadiums for Pirates games the results would pretty much be the same. The Pirates owner is in baseball to make money and has no desire to win games. Actually the Pirates would be better off if nobody went to the games so that the owner wouldn't make any money and be forced to sell the team to someone who would hopefully be interested in winning or spend money on developing a winning franchise. Baseball as a whole would benefit if it had a revenue sharing system similar to football, however they seem content to let the Yankees/Red Sox be the premier clubs and everyone else act as fodder.

Then again, I find baseball to be an extremely slow and boring sport, that plays way to many games each year.

JWMANN2 Wrote:

If there were packed stadiums for Pirates games the results would pretty much be the same. The Pirates owner is in baseball to make money and has no desire to win games. Actually the Pirates would be better off if nobody went to the games so that the owner wouldn't make any money and be forced to sell the team to someone who would hopefully be interested in winning or spend money on developing a winning franchise. Baseball as a whole would benefit if it had a revenue sharing system similar to football, however they seem content to let the Yankees/Red Sox be the premier clubs and everyone else act as fodder.

Then again, I find baseball to be an extremely slow and boring sport, that plays way to many games each year.

You are right. In theory. The Pirates would be better off if no one showed up and by not showing up demonstrated their displeasure with the situation ownership there has foisted upon you.

But if you all did that you know what would happen? You would have all these people saying: "Look, Pittsburgh doesn't care about baseball. That team should be moved to a city that does care. They should become the Portland Pirates or the Charlotte Goobers or the San Antonio Amigos yada yada yada"

Honestly, you want to know the truth: I think that MLB should expand, because the AL now has 2 fewer teams than the NL. And one of those new AL teams should be placed in like New Jersey or Connecticut. That way you would cut into the Yankee hegemony which really is the major problem with the way MLB is run.

I mean, face it, the Pittsburgh metro area is 2.5 million. The NY metro area is 22.5 million. Even taking half because there are 2 teams in NY and that leaves NY with over 11 million, which is 5 times larger of a market than Peetown. (you could insert here Cleveland, or KC, or Milwaukee or Cincinnatti, or St. Louis, or Denver, or Minneapolis etc.)

Losing the Pirates to another market would not make me sad in any way shape or form, as long as the Pirates/MLB paid off the debt on the stadium they hoodwinked the city Pittsburgh into buying. A minor league team could move in to claim the spot filled by the loss of the Pirates, and they would have a better product on the field. (The Pirates are a minor league team pretending to be a be a big league team). MLB can't support an expansion and league realignment would be the better option. The problem with the AL is the DH. Players love it cause it extends careers and clubs (excuse me, poorer clubs) hate it because it balloons the payroll, hence the reason Milwaukee left and created the disparity between leagues. If the Pirates moved to the AL central (and bumped KC to the West), that would create alot of regional excitement (in baseball). There's no way the Pirates would ever make such a move, because it would cost them more and they already make a mockery of MLB's revenue sharing.

All sports teams sell hope. MLB is a broken sport, because of the revenue disparity between clubs. Even if the Pirates had a better owner, the financial reality of the Pirates situation (as described by the Gipper), shows there's really no way for the Pirates to ever sell hope.

Short of revenue sharing like the NFL, MLB could still improve their product by placing teams in divisions based upon thier respective payrolls. I.e. all the big market/high payroll teams would compete against each other and all the small market/low payroll teams could compete against each other. If you put the Red Sox in say the NL, with the Yankees in the AL, the probability of a marquee world series game featuring the Yankees/Red Sox would be pretty high from year to year. The small market/low payroll teams would have representation in the play-off, but generally would not be expected to advance. The difference is that there would be hope for the small market/low payroll teams.

Losing the Pirates to another market would not make me sad in any way shape or form, as long as the Pirates/MLB paid off the debt on the stadium they hoodwinked the city Pittsburgh into buying. A minor league team could move in to claim the spot filled by the loss of the Pirates, and they would have a better product on the field. (The Pirates are a minor league team pretending to be a be a big league team). MLB can't support an expansion and league realignment would be the better option. The problem with the AL is the DH. Players love it cause it extends careers and clubs (excuse me, poorer clubs) hate it because it balloons the payroll, hence the reason Milwaukee left and created the disparity between leagues.

\

Well, the other issue is that the fans far prefer the DH. Once you are used to the DH you know longer want to see the near automatic out that occurs when the pitcher comes up.

If the Pirates moved to the AL central (and bumped KC to the West), that would create alot of regional excitement (in baseball). There's no way the Pirates would ever make such a move, because it would cost them more and they already make a mockery of MLB's revenue sharing.

All sports teams sell hope. MLB is a broken sport, because of the revenue disparity between clubs. Even if the Pirates had a better owner, the financial reality of the Pirates situation (as described by the Gipper), shows there's really no way for the Pirates to ever sell hope.

Short of revenue sharing like the NFL, MLB could still improve their product by placing teams in divisions based upon thier respective payrolls. I.e. all the big market/high payroll teams would compete against each other and all the small market/low payroll teams could compete against each other. If you put the Red Sox in say the NL, with the Yankees in the AL, the probability of a marquee world series game featuring the Yankees/Red Sox would be pretty high from year to year. The small market/low payroll teams would have representation in the play-off, but generally would not be expected to advance. The difference is that there would be hope for the small market/low payroll teams.

Well, the AL Central is the one division in which there is relative parity amongst the size of the markets and the revenues of the teams in that division. Though Chicago is a much larger market, the fact that the White Sox have to share the town with the Cubs (and the fact that the Cubs are probably the far more popular team in that town) gives all the clubs about the same size fan base.

No, changing the alignment is not the issue. The issue is a lack of a salary cap and floor. That is what baseball actually needs.

I'm a life long Browns and Indians fan. However, growing up in Weirton West Virginia, it was much easier to attend a Pirates game at Forbes field, Three Rivers and now PNC Park... I grew up watching Clemente playing in right field...

If this summer is the same as in the past, I'll probably take in around 4 Indians games and around 10 Pirate games.. I live in Western Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh is much closer....

I'll watch the Tribe on STO with my 95 year old mother-in-law as she is a huge Indians fan.. I love The Indians ball park (it'll always be the Jake to me though) and this year has been extra special so far

PNC park is one of the best ball parks in the majors and their promotions are top shelf... Instead of bashing the owners, get off your duff and attend a game or two.. It's inexpensive entertainment when compared to the other major sports and a nite at the old ball yard is one of the greatest summertime pleasures....

My dream is for an Indians - Pirates world series, that would be huge for this area....

Peace

T.Dawg

The Gipper Wrote:

Well, the other issue is that the fans far prefer the DH. Once you are used to the DH you know longer want to see the near automatic out that occurs when the pitcher comes up.

Well, the AL Central is the one division in which there is relative parity amongst the size of the markets and the revenues of the teams in that division. Though Chicago is a much larger market, the fact that the White Sox have to share the town with the Cubs (and the fact that the Cubs are probably the far more popular team in that town) gives all the clubs about the same size fan base.

No, changing the alignment is not the issue. The issue is a lack of a salary cap and floor. That is what baseball actually needs.

Whether or not there is a DH doesn't matter to me, however I think the rules should be consistant for both leagues.

Basically, to clarify my thoughts on baseball parity. The big market clubs aren't going to agree to an NFL style of revenue sharing, period and MLB could fracture if it tried to implement such a system. MLB can probably implement division-wide salary caps/floors. So say the AL central had a $40M floor and a $50M cieling, all teams (regardless of potential market size) would have the same financial capabilities to compete against each other, and the division winner gets a chance to play for the world title. Another division could have say a $95M to $110M cap and floor and the premier divisions would say only have a floor of $150 M.

The Gipper Wrote:

Whether or not there is a DH doesn't matter to me, however I think the rules should be consistant for both leagues.

Basically, to clarify my thoughts on baseball parity. The big market clubs aren't going to agree to an NFL style of revenue sharing, period and MLB could fracture if it tried to implement such a system. MLB can probably implement division-wide salary caps/floors. So say the AL central had a $40M floor and a $50M cieling, all teams (regardless of potential market size) would have the same financial capabilities to compete against each other, and the division winner gets a chance to play for the world title. Another division could have say a $95M to $110M cap and floor and the premier divisions would say only have a floor of $150 M.

I would definitely NOT agree to having different cap numbers for different divisions. If you do that you are basically just making another level of minor league teams. No, all teams throughout MLB would have to have the same cap/floor. If it would require total revenue sharing, so be it. Of course the big market owners like Yankees/Red Sox don't want that because they want to be able to keep more of the money that they perceive that they generate.

And the player's union doesn't want it because, in reality, the WANT the disparity in income and payroll because they can always shoot for their players to be paid at the price that the wealthiest teams can pay, not what the middle or lower revenue teams can pay.

I would definitely NOT agree to having different cap numbers for different divisions. If you do that you are basically just making another level of minor league teams. No, all teams throughout MLB would have to have the same cap/floor. If it would require total revenue sharing, so be it. Of course the big market owners like Yankees/Red Sox don't want that because they want to be able to keep more of the money that they perceive that they generate.

And the player's union doesn't want it because, in reality, the WANT the disparity in income and payroll because they can always shoot for their players to be paid at the price that the wealthiest teams can pay, not what the middle or lower revenue teams can pay.

The Yankees and Red Sox can be outvoted at the owners meetings, if the small market clubs had the guts to stick to their guns. And the players union should realize that Joe Nobody isn't ever going to get an A-Rod type contract. (and no one else ever will again for that matter)

Archived