THE BROWNS BOARD

Hodges Carted Off The Field

HowieDawg

Hodges carted off the field

I hate to hear that it was a no contact injury that always makes me think something nasty just snapped. Hodges was great last year, this is a blow.

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland Browns punter Reggie Hodges has been carted off the practice field with an apparent serious injury to his right leg.

Hodges, one of the AFC's top punters last season, fell without being touched after catching a snap in the back of the end zone during punting drills. He was attended to for several minutes by trainers before being driven to the team's training facility. Hodges covered his face with a towel as he went for tests and treatment.

Hodges averaged 43.9 yards on 78 punts last season. He finished third in the league with 15 punts inside the 10-yard line. Hodges also ran 68 yards on a faked punt, when the Browns upset the New Orleans Saints.

The Browns have no other punters in camp.

From Grossi:

* Don't look for local product and former Browns punter Dave Zastudil to be an immediate replacement. Zastudil recently re-injured an oblique muscle injury trying out for the Houston Texans.

#Browns looking for free agents punters now that Reggie Hodges out for season w/ torn Achilles tendon. Will have surgery.

good reporting mike. just saw it on espn. let's hope we starting hearing some positive news cuz this blowz!!!!!

i really think that the lack of a real training camp is going to result in a lot of injuries (not saying that this was caused by that, but). just saw that nick fairley of the lions is in a walking boot and that the team is very worried about the injury.

Man I hope some good news comes out of this. Hamstring or Achilles tendon perhaps? Is this common to have only one punter in camp?

I don't think it's uncommon.

Punting doesn't put undo strain on the joints like place kicking, and it's only one practice session.

Place kicking is returns, PAT's, and Field goals.....which are different from a PAT.

Bottom line is the punter isn't having to punt 100 balls a day where place kicking might require that on the days you are focused of special team play.

Archived