THE BROWNS BOARD

Your New Coach Is Clueless Re: Hillis

Armchair Bronco

Look, I showed up here last year and predicted in Game #1 that Peyton Hillis would light your town on fire and would be starting by Week #3. I LOVED Hillis when he was in Denver and was so happy that he ended up with a team that knew how to feature him.

Well, that was last year. Looks to me like your new Head Coach is CLUELESS when it comes to Hillis. What a joke! Why is Colt throwing 2 times near the 5 yard line? Why didn't Hillis have AT LEAST two touchdowns against the pathetic Bungles? Why? Because your coach thinks that Colt is the second coming of Dan Marino.

It's pretty simple: hand the dang ball to Hillis, especially inside the 10 yard line. Good things will happen. I know what I'm talking about.

Instead, Colt is throwing incomplete after incomplete in the red zone; meanwhile, he handed off to Hillis about 10 times when there were already 16 defenders who had busted through the line. Even Hillis can't take on 16 guys by himself.

believe me, i wish it was as simple as that. when you can't stretch the field and make teams get off the line, you can box in anyone. now even more so because of his performance last year. i think the coach was way too conservative and his game plan was lacking by not incorporating greg little and hardesty. besides the OL couldn't block for anyone today. their worst performance in years.

not impressed by the coaching overall. the discipline of this team compared to last years was overwhelmingly bad.

so much for a players' coach.

Well, I agree that things are never as simple as they seem. I didn't get the watch the entire game, just the NFL Red Zone highlights. But I saw enough to know that your coach was trying to outsmart the Bungles D by second guessing them (the way Mike Shanahan used to do in Denver): "So, it's First and Goal from the 5; so they'll expect a run...so I'm going to pass it 3 times! That'll totally trick them!"

This trickiness never worked with Shanahan and it won't work for the Browns this year. Get some big guys in there, line up tight, and hand the ball to Hillis 3 (or 4) times in a row, and the 'Dozer will punch it in 8 times out of 10.

wow. imagine browns and broncos fans doing the nice on a forum? wasn't possible 20 years ago. (i still dry-puke every time i see or hear about elway though) :mad:.

not to change the subject but, what's the consensus out there with what to do with tebow? what do you expect of the broncos this year?

While I love Hillis' style he is what he is. Last year was great for 12 games but the league figured him out. Hillis needs a quick hitter to compliment him and it still burns me that that fat Walrus picked Montario "IR" Hardesty to be that guy....

Hardesty looked slow... Not hitting the holes and not adjusting. I'm tired of seeing backs that recognize they have no where to go and adjust. It has seemed like for the past 3-4 years that our backs run the route designed regardless of if the whole is there or not and don't adjust. Our OL was so bad today and we didn't adjust to that by spreading the D and maybe running outside the tackles more where Hillis especially shines.

How many times did we pass to Hillis?

Yeah lets just kill hillis before the team even starts to gel, this young team is still feeling out what works and what dont not to mention we have no offensive cohesion with 2 pissy guards and a jouneyman RT..

Hillis will get his chance to shine but other things have to be ironed out as well due to a short off season..

Yeah lets just kill hillis before the team even starts to gel, this young team is still feeling out what works and what dont not to mention we have no offensive cohesion with 2 pissy guards and a jouneyman RT..

Hillis will get his chance to shine but other things have to be ironed out as well..

No one is killing him he had more games last season under 50 yards (7) then he did over 100 yards (5). It has just been sooooo long in Cleveland since there has been a standout player he was put on a pedestal...

bs. Gip is right. This new staff and new system and new players and injuries on the oline...

you want perfection the first game so you can brag and feel good about yourself or what?

This team is finally on the right track.

Sorry for you whining, drunken stupored pouty people - you don't get it.

It was a tough outing, it wasn't a blowout like the squeelers got handed to them.

And the Colts.

it's the first freakin game.

I wish this board was a "no whining" zone.

shurmur is young and inexperienced and will learn along the way........ :lol:

isn't that what we expected when fat boy holmgren hired his old lackie's son? it's a evaluation year (again) right?

holmgren's teams have always been soft. no discipline.

now he's cashing in a retirement paycheck and bringin in some friends to get paid as well before lerner hangs himself.

Don't let this guy fool you browns fans.. here is some of his other posts on this forum..

....Trouble is: the guy seems to have trouble holding on to DA ROCK. You guys think this was an abberation or should we start calling him Peyton "Butterfingers" Hillis?

Sometimes I think that the guy fumbles early in the season when he's trying too hard. It's like he wants to make a statement to the coach or something, and then he gets careless....

Then, the following year, he F*&^%$ed up early in the season trying to impress new coach Josh "Stalin" McStalin -- he had some costly fumbles in the red zone and some muffed returns. He was quickly benched for the rest of the season and that was that.

Now yes he has other posts saying good things about hillis, but how are you going to say that early in the season he tries to hard and fumbles in the redzone..

...and then come back on here calling the coach stupid for not getting him DA ROCK early in the season in the redzone???

Hillis is a beast, but i also like colt mccoy..

Bengal's did a good job shutting Hillis down I think.. out of all running backs that received 10 or more carries in week 1 (monday games excluded) peyton hillis' (3.4 ypc) was ranked 21st in the league. (last year he had 4.4 ypc)

If you take away Peyton's two extreme plays (17 yards and -5 yards) he was only averaging 2.7 ypc.. and the majority of those where not in "i think they're going to run it" situations.

The Bengals defensive strength is there D-line and LB's.. I was not surprised at all that the 2 browns touchdowns where caught by TE's.. infact i picked up evan moore in fantasy, he looks like the real deal and vs the bengals was a no brainer..

but back to hillis, his first down percentage for the game was a 11%

only 3 running backs (with 10+ carries) had a worse percentage in week 1

23 running backs had better percentages

I like Hillis, but the Bengals defense was able to basically shut him down and i dont think anyone should be questioning throwing "safe" throws into one on one coverage to a guy who already beat his man (moore) and another one to the most talented player on your team (in cribbs)

since it was man coverage outside im assuming the bengals were more then ready for the run.

good luck in 14 of your next 15 games.. i hope you beat the ravens and steelers twice each

WHO DEY!!

PS: i read these forums often but when i notice obvious two facism like that i must log in and point it out lol

Don't let this guy fool you browns fans.. here is some of his other posts on this forum..

....Trouble is: the guy seems to have trouble holding on to DA ROCK. You guys think this was an abberation or should we start calling him Peyton "Butterfingers" Hillis?

Sometimes I think that the guy fumbles early in the season when he's trying too hard. It's like he wants to make a statement to the coach or something, and then he gets careless....

Then, the following year, he F*&^%$ed up early in the season trying to impress new coach Josh "Stalin" McStalin -- he had some costly fumbles in the red zone and some muffed returns. He was quickly benched for the rest of the season and that was that.

Now yes he has other posts saying good things about hillis, but how are you going to say that early in the season he tries to hard and fumbles in the redzone..

...and then come back on here calling the coach stupid for not getting him DA ROCK early in the season in the redzone???

Bengal's did a good job shutting Hillis down I think.. out of all running backs that received 10 or more carries in week 1 (monday games excluded) peyton hillis' (3.4 ypc) was ranked 21st in the league. (last year he had 4.4 ypc)

If you take away Peyton's two extreme plays (17 yards and -5 yards) he was only averaging 2.7 ypc.. and the majority of those where not in "i think they're going to run it" situations.

The Bengals defensive strength is there D-line and LB's.. I was not surprised at all that the 2 browns touchdowns where caught by TE's.. infact i picked up evan moore in fantasy, he looks like the real deal and vs the bengals was a no brainer..

I like Hillis, but the Bengals defense was able to basically shut him down and i dont think anyone should be questioning throwing "safe" throws into one on one coverage to a guy who already beat his man (moore) and another one to the most talented player on your team (in cribbs)

since it was man coverage outside im assuming the bengals were more then ready for the run.

good luck in 14 of your next 15 games.. i hope you beat the ravens and steelers twice each

WHO DEY!!

PS: i read these forums often but when i notice obvious two facism like that i must log in and point it out lol

shurmur is young and inexperienced and will learn along the way........ :lol:

TRANSLATION: He has never accomplished anything in his life.

He took a run-first, ball-control offense, with a 1,000 yard rusher and gets pass happy, calling 47 freaking pass plays in week one.

CLE didn't run much, and when they did run, they didn't do it very well. The runs were often slow-developing, poorly conceived, and weakly executed.

The CLE Offense has taken a huge step backward with this Shurmer guy.

From my perspective, I agree that Hillis was underutilized. It seemed to me on a number of occasions Hillis would get the ball on first down and make a 5-6 yard run, then never see the ball again on that series of downs.

(can anyone say that they don't think this team misses Vickers).

Or else you would have a 3rd and 2, and the play call was for a 30 yard fade route up the sideline...excuse me?

For those of you old enough, could you have ever seen the Browns not handing the ball to Jim Brown on 3rd and 2? Nine times out of 10, JB would be getting the ball in that situation.

Second and goal from the 2-3 yard line and they are calling fade routes to the corners of the end zone...a play that in reality has to cover like 25 yard.

Poor game planning, poor play selection, poor execution.

WHO DEY!!

Great first post.

I too picked up Moore as my starting TE in fantasy. I think he is capable of very good things this year.

Archived