THE BROWNS BOARD

Your Free Agents We Could Have Had...this Off Season

tampadawgs

so with all bitching and moaning about the Browns not getting a big name FA over the last year, I thought I would do some research and this is what I found

2011 FA

Ravens acquire WR Lee Evans from Bills for 4th-round pick...Was it worth it for the Ravens??? Do Not think so!!!!

Ravens sign RB Ricky Williams (2 years): REALLY

Eagles sign WR Steve Smith (1 year, $4M; $2M guaranteed) Steve Smith has done nothing in Philly, and there offense puts up ALOT of points

Jets sign WR Derrick Mason (1 year) and then the Jets trade him....

Chargers re-sign WR Malcom Floyd (2 years, $5 million): Floyd was not leaving San Diego, would you leave??? He took less money to stay there

49ers sign WR Braylon Edwards (1 year, $1 million): DID you really want him back

49ers sign SS Donte Whitner (3 years, $11.75 million): Is he worth it, maybe he wanted to go to SF!!!

Chiefs sign WR Steve Breaston (5 years, $25M; $9.5M guaranteed): Umm... what the hell is this? OK, so if even if there wasn't anything wrong with Breaston, spending $25 million overall and $9.5 million guaranteed on a slot receiver is overly excessive. But Breaston isn't fine; the Cardinals were eagerly willing to let him walk because they know his knees are shot. This is an awful signing.

Broncos acquire DT Brodrick Bunkley from Eagles for 2013 late-round pick

The previous Brodrick Bunkley to Cleveland trade was nullified because Bunkley refused to report to the Browns. Bunkley isn't nearly talented enough to make these sort of demands, but whatever.

Jets sign WR Plaxico Burress (1 year, $3 million):

I'm not sure what the Jets think they're accomplishing with this deal. Plaxico Burress has been out of football for two years, and he was slowing down before he even went to prison. It took Philadelphia's quarterback a year to adjust back to the NFL, and he was five years younger than Burress was in the same position. I don't see Burress doing anything.

Rams sign WR Mike Sims-Walker (1 year):

I'm not particularly fond of Mike Sims-Walker. He's injury-prone and has a me-first attitude. But this is a pretty decent signing because there's absolutely no risk involved. Who knows, maybe Sims-Walker will develop as Sam Bradford's favorite weapon. He just got CUT

Eagles sign CB Nnamdi Asomugha (5 years, $60 million; $25 million guaranteed): How is he doing over in Philly, is he worth the money??

Falcons sign DE Ray Edwards (5 years, $30 million): Browns tried like hell to get him...

Bears sign WR Roy Williams (2 years): REALLY

Saints sign RB Darren Sproles (4 years, $14 million): would never come to Cleveland, looking for a ring, not a rebuild job

Texans sign CB Johnathan Joseph (5 years, $48.75 million; $23.5 million guaranteed...another one the Browns tried to get, he is worth the money...I do not know

Patriots acquire WR Chad Ochocinco from Bengals for 2012, 2013 late-round picks..LOL JOKE

Dolphins acquire RB Reggie Bush from Saints for late-round pick...JOKE

Seahawks sign WR Sidney Rice (5 years, $41 million; $18 million guaranteed):

Be wary of the free agent chasing money - especially if he's a one-year wonder(Hillis?)_. Sidney Rice apparently doesn't care about winning, passing over the up-and-coming Rams in favor of the woeful, declining Seahawks. Rice will be a non-factor in 2011 with either Tarvaris Jackson or Charlie Whitehurst throwing the ball.

now that list is not that good, depending who we get the draft. I think still think we draft the LB from ASU Burfict and the DE from NC...

We should throw as much money as we can at Matt Forte for some reason the Bears are being Retards and not signing that guy..I am sure they will work something out, but if they didnt thats a guy you throw money at!!!!

As for your Wid-outs there are a TON OF TOP FLIGHT WIDE-OUTS GOING TO BE FREEE AGENT, some we will have a chance at some we will not!!!

Harry Douglas – ATL

Derrick Mason – BAL

Brandon Jones – BAL

Roscoe Parrish – BUF we could get

Steve Johnson – BUF Buf will sign

Wallace Wright – CAR

Earl Bennett – CHI

Andre Caldwell – CIN We could get

Jerome Simpson – CIN

Demetrius Williams – CLE

Kevin Ogletree – DAL ®

Brandon Lloyd – ST.L

Eddie Royal – DEN

Matt Willis – DEN ®

Bryant Johnson – DET

Derrick Williams – DET ®

David Anderson - HOU

Anthony Gonzalez – IND

Reggie Wayne – IND NO WAY

Pierre Garcon – IND NO WAY

Tiquan Underwood – JAC ®

Jerheme Urban – KC

Dwayne Bowe - KC- NOPE

Greg Camarillo – MIN

Juaquin Iglesias – MIN

Deion Branch - NE

Wes Welker – NE NOPE

Matt Slater – NE

Marques Colston - NO NOPE

Robert Meachem – NO- MAYBE

Devin Thomas – NYG

Mario Manningham - NYG- I THINK WE REALLY COULD GET HIM

Patrick Turner – NYJ ®

Chaz Schilens – OAK

DeSean Jackson – PHI NO WAY

Limas Sweed – PIT

Mike Wallace – PIT ®

Patrick Crayton – SD

Craig Davis – SD

Vincent Jackson – SD NO WAY

Isaiah Stanback – SEA

Ted Ginn Jr – SF

Josh Morgan – SF Maybe

Dominique Zeigler – SF

Donnie Avery – STL

Justin Gage – TEN

Lavelle Hawkins – TEN

Malcolm Kelly – WAS

Roydell Williams – WAS

ALOT OF THE TOP FLIGHT WIDE RECEIVERS WILL EITHER RE UP WITH THERE TEAM, OR THEY WILL GET FRANSHISE TAG. I think that is what we will do with D.Q if we can not re-sign him

Yes they are all better than osama young, jackson and pettersob

Those players were roster fillers, and Jackson got hurt he did a nice job in Green Bay last yr, and Petterson held his own last week. He his a back-up and a good back up at that

G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost

2010 Green Bay Packers 16 13 190 703 3.7 71 3 43 342 8.0 37 1 1 0

That was just last, for Jackson in a passing team, not bad for a BACK-UP running back

PATTERSON

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int Yds Avg Lng TDs FF

2010 Philadelphia Eagles 16 9 52 50 2 1.0 0 11 4 40 10.0 40T 1 0

again as a back-up 4 picks and 11 Pdef, he started 9 games!!!

NOT BAD FOR A BACK-UP

Young, well not so much....

i can guarantee you that we will not pick up any free agent WR

No, because we'll draft one high. I like the idea of a stud LB in round one, but could settle for a DE. Heckert has the history of taking BPA, so we'll see. If that's a CB, well, Sheldon Brown isn't getting any younger. :)

As for your Wid-outs there are a TON OF TOP FLIGHT WIDE-OUTS GOING TO BE FREEE AGENT, some we will have a chance at some we will not!!!

We won't land any decent free agent because none of them will want to play for the abomination we call an offense. Who would want to come play Wide Out after watching this shit Cleveland has been producing?

NO ONE!

Our offense is awful but at this point i do not see any of those guys really helping out in the now or in the long run..

The on-field vanilla of learning a new system on the fly and with many journeyman rookies vs any pro defense that has done their homework is unfortunately a predictable mismatch..

I think the hope is that the timing and gelling will eventually come and then the team will be hard to stop even in predictable vanilla mode and near impossible to stop once more unpredictable playcalling is built off of that..

Even though i am bitching a bit lately due to not seeing any progress whatsoever i still think pat shurmur is and will be a fine coach and heckert will eventually build this teams talent and i am still for building the team the right way..

Nevertheless i expect progress and not regression yet we know that sometimes you have to have setbacks/regression to actually gain progress..

Its an ongoing process and hopefully we will see this team start to turn things around within the next few games..

Eagles, argument won.

+1

And 2000 Redskins.

But let's get say we should get a team of free agents. I still think a vet or younger with experience would help the development of our crappy WRs. I won't be changing my mind about that soon.

+1

And 2000 Redskins.

But let's get say we should get a team of free agents. I still think a vet or younger with experience would help the development of our crappy WRs. I won't be changing my mind about that soon.

T.O. is holding workouts Tuesday. A WCO veteran.

Everyone is being so ignorant it's funny.

No one, once, _EVER_ said they wanted us to be the Eagles.

Basically, if you can't see adding Jonathon Joseph and a better DE than Jayme Mitchell would have helped our team this season then just stop talking about sports.

There were no real options at FS, so Usama Young was a decent move in hindsight but he isn't panning out.

WR's are a joke. Little is coming around though I loved that pick and will hope for Alshon Jeffrey or Justin Blackmon in the draft next year.

Add in a good LB and DE and this team will be competitive.

All I've been saying all along and I'll reiterate:

IT TAKES BOTH F/A _AND_ THE DRAFT TO BUILD A WINNER.

But most importantly, to quote gizoohly: It takes play-makers. Which we will likely draft. Heckert found LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. I believe he can draft them and can't wait to see it.

I just want more of an effort to win now while we continue to draft strong and move forward. The product fans see on Sunday shouldn't be as shitty as it's been in Cleveland. That's where all of us should agree.

Go Browns, right?

Exactly. No one here is saying be the eagles or redskins but we want to see something done to win now. Hell we deserve it. Like you said the draft is the core but free agency can provide much needed help. With such a young team we need more leaders and guys who can mentor.

I dont mind getting Braylon Edwards back. Atleast his speed and size will make him a threat that the opponents will have to plan for.

Would have been real happy to get Lee Evans if a 4th round pick was all we had to sacrifice.

Also just because the FA's are not clicking in their new teams does not mean that they are bad signings and they will never click. That is a risk you take with every FA's just like with high draft picks.

Our offense is awful but at this point i do not see any of those guys really helping out in the now or in the long run..

The on-field vanilla of learning a new system on the fly and with many journeyman rookies vs any pro defense that has done their homework is unfortunately a predictable mismatch..

I think the hope is that the timing and gelling will eventually come and then the team will be hard to stop even in predictable vanilla mode and near impossible to stop once more unpredictable playcalling is built off of that..

Even though i am bitching a bit lately due to not seeing any progress whatsoever i still think pat shurmur is and will be a fine coach and heckert will eventually build this teams talent and i am still for building the team the right way..

Nevertheless i expect progress and not regression yet we know that sometimes you have to have setbacks/regression to actually gain progress..

Its an ongoing process and hopefully we will see this team start to turn things around within the next few games..

Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take two steps forward. Let's all hope that's what's going on here.

Constantly injured with one good season out of 9. Plus he's a FA next year. 4-5 of those seasons he put up robiskie-like numbers.

He is more coveted because of last season and you're right about his numbers but it would be nice to see the Browns make some moves. Even if you are renting him for a 6th rounder it would be nice to see the Browns spend some money...

no it wouldn't. doing something just to do it doesn't sound like a good idea. making good moves yes....but to make a move just because?

i understand its your opinion....fine. but i simply cannot fathom why.....wasting a pick to rent a player? gets us what...exactly? further considering that this season is admittedly, from our president, an evaluation year, why would anyone waste picks when the W/L column is not important? furthermore, why is compromising the cap, which is currently 12mil under, something we need to do when we have no shot at contending for the playoffs?

not trying to be a dick man....but making a move just to make one, or spending just to spend is a horrible way to run a team. there's other things afoote beside worrying about winning 7 games as opposed to 5.

no it wouldn't. doing something just to do it doesn't sound like a good idea. making good moves yes....but to make a move just because?

i understand its your opinion....fine. but i simply cannot fathom why.....wasting a pick to rent a player? gets us what...exactly? further considering that this season is admittedly, from our president, an evaluation year, why would anyone waste picks when the W/L column is not important? furthermore, why is compromising the cap, which is currently 12mil under, something we need to do when we have no shot at contending for the playoffs?

not trying to be a dick man....but making a move just to make one, or spending just to spend is a horrible way to run a team. there's other things afoote beside worrying about winning 7 games as opposed to 5.

The last serious move the Browns made was Donte Stallworth. As fans we've been sold this "rebuilding" bag of goods for years now. I think we could spare a Carlton Mitchell or Eric Hagg.

The last serious move the Browns made was Donte Stallworth. As fans we've been sold this "rebuilding" bag of goods for years now. I think we could spare a Carlton Mitchell or Eric Hagg.

As fans we've been through multiple regimes, most with absolutely no true football minds behind the moves being made - putting us in the position we have been in. 2007 was a fluke. Do you remember how bad the Browns were in terms of cap space the past couple of years. We have a regime that has drafted extremely well, (guess what guys, this is only their second year) - and has signed smart contracts (knowing that we have a lot more spaces to fill than to just waste space). Yeah, I know people are sick of rebuilding, but where we were put during the last regime, left us in a horrible position. We have two brilliant football minds in the FO, making solid moves - knowing that it isn't something that can or will be done as early as this season. It's obvious what this team is doing and I love it - building through the draft, creating a strong and lasting foundation. They don't want another 2007 season, they want to replace the spots the Steelers and Ravens will leave behind in the next 1-2 years. Why spend a lot of useless long term contract money to fill wholes with aging players, when we realistically KNOW we cannot compete in the division now.

It's a: "you'll thank me later" type situation.

Archived