THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur Played For Field Goal

BrownsKidd

I don't know about you, but the game of football and the primary objective within the game of Football is to win, you win by scoring touchdowns. Field Goals have always been the "Settle for" points. But when Shurmur runs 6 consecutive running plays and admits to playing for the field goal, you have to be ticked with this coach. If I was Lerner and Holmgren, I would be livid with this guy. That's not football, playing for field goals.

So either Shurmur has no clue, or no confidence in his player, I would go with no clue.

Actually, Shurmur said in his press conference he had several reasons for running the ball.

1. Run the clock and leave the Rams with as little time as possible while making them burn timeouts.

2. Score the touchdown via running the ball.

3. Leave the team with a chance to "settle" for the go ahead field goal.

It really does make sense to me. Although I'm still baffled that he did not know Alex Smith was in as fullback because Owen Marecic was hurt. He admitted to that. I'm just less than impressed with this coaching staff, but in no way did he purposely settle for a field goal.

Actually, Shurmur said in his press conference he had several reasons for running the ball.

1. Run the clock and leave the Rams with as little time as possible while making them burn timeouts.

2. Score the touchdown via running the ball.

3. Leave the team with a chance to "settle" for the go ahead field goal.

It really does make sense to me. Although I'm still baffled that he did not know Alex Smith was in as fullback because Owen Marecic was hurt. He admitted to that. I'm just less than impressed with this coaching staff, but in no way did he purposely settle for a field goal.

I just don't like the mentality. We have some great hands on this team. Watson, Little, Moore, Cribbs... We have some play makers and we didn't do the right thing. Shurmur could try and explain it till the cows came home, isn't going to fly in my book.

I don't know about you, but the game of football and the primary objective within the game of Football is to win, you win by scoring touchdowns. Field Goals have always been the "Settle for" points. But when Shurmur runs 6 consecutive running plays and admits to playing for the field goal, you have to be ticked with this coach. If I was Lerner and Holmgren, I would be livid with this guy. That's not football, playing for field goals.

So either Shurmur has no clue, or no confidence in his player, I would go with no clue.

Playing for FG is a legitimate end-of-game strategy (regulation or OT). It always has been. In this case, i liked it right up until the point that it didn't work. The snap was a fluke.

Setting all that aside, i don't like Shurmur. i see no evidence of an upgrade from the past regime, and i see no evidence that he has his team behind him. i'd love to see a flicker of emotion from the coach and/or the team. If it is there, i'm missing it.

Playing for FG is a legitimate end-of-game strategy (regulation or OT). It always has been. In this case, i liked it right up until the point that it didn't work. The snap was a fluke.

Setting all that aside, i don't like Shurmur. i see no evidence of an upgrade from the past regime, and i see no evidence that he has his team behind him. i'd love to see a flicker of emotion from the coach and/or the team. If it is there, i'm missing it.

Concur, and to disagree with the post above yours, we have no playmakers that is why we cannot score and I blame that Squarely on Heckert and Holmgren now

Concur, and to disagree with the post above yours, we have no playmakers that is why we cannot score and I blame that Squarely on Heckert and Holmgren now

My question is: even if we HAD playmakers, would Shurmur know how to capitalize on their abilities?

Yes, the Browns goal line capabilities are hampered by the loss of Hillis....but the fact is there are some players on this team that I think are able to do well in the red zone: Ben Watson, Evan Moore, Greg Little are all big targets. Josh Cribbs can also be a big target...as well as being capable of either running the ball down there on reverses or getting some bubble screens or something to get him out into space.

What we don't need are TEs lining up at tailback. Alex Smith should be catching the ball on a cross pattern in the end zone, not running the ball up the gut.

Thats because Shurmur does not worry about touchdowns--he said so in todays press conference:

(On how he can prevent that fact that the team hasn't scored a home field touchdown in a while from messing with the team's confidence)- "Score touchdowns. I don't worry about that. You just keep working to get better. These guys don't have a problem with confidence. We've just have to go out and get it done."

Archived