THE BROWNS BOARD

Is It Just Steelers Fans Losing Interest In The New Nfl?

SuperSteelers

I was just reading a post from another Steelers fan on a different board and he asked if it is just Steelers fans that are losing interest in the new NFL or if any other teams fans feel the same? This is all stemming from the wuss league being formed by Roger Goodell. Yes, Steelers fans have bit of a bad taste in their mouth from the Harrison suspension, but the way James plays is the way we're used to seeing the Steelers play.

If the new rules Goodell is putting into place were for everyone, then we could buy into the safety aspect of it, but it only covers QB's and on a limited basis, WR's. A running back can still have his brains bashed in legally, according to NFL rule. If McCoy were a RB and not a QB James Harrison would not have been flagged and suspended . How is that fair to RB's?

The Hines Ward rule? Come on! Can't block a guy if he cant see you? This league is trying to go pansy on us and it is losing fans. At least Steelers fans. Do you guys really enjoy the games just as much as you did 10 years ago? Do you like the direction the NFL is going? I know I'm going to get the smart-ass comments and I really wouldn't want it any other way, but I would like some insightful feed back as well.

The saints benefit greatly from the new rules but football has completely changed over the past 10 years. I love seeing my saints win games but we have a safety like Troy that loves hittin ppl and he's gettin a lot of bs penalties because of the new rules

The NFL is going to kill itself w all these stupid rule changes

GO AWAY, nobody cares about how fucking Steelers fans feel. Who cares, you have a good team with a Nasty LB in JH They should have just fined him and be done with it.

OHHH us poor Steelers fan do not like new NFL, we like killing me, we like hitting women over head with stick.... Get the fuck out of here.

Somebody get this guyt a Binkie and a burb towel...Fucking Stooler fans. Come on our site and complain about the NFL new rules...Hello you won a couple a fucing Super Bowls with these NEW RULES fucking moron!!!

I HATE FUCKING MORON, RetardED DOUCHBAG STEELERS FANS WHO COME HERE AND ACT LIKE THEY GIVE A FUCK ABOUT HOW THE NEW RULES MAKE THEM NOT LIKE THE NFL.

Then Go watch Penn State...Ohhh wait Stooler fan does not want to talk about that

I was just reading a post from another Steelers fan on a different board and he asked if it is just Steelers fans that are losing interest in the new NFL or if any other teams fans feel the same? This is all stemming from the wuss league being formed by Roger Goodell. Yes, Steelers fans have bit of a bad taste in their mouth from the Harrison suspension, but the way James plays is the way we're used to seeing the Steelers play.

If the new rules Goodell is putting into place were for everyone, then we could buy into the safety aspect of it, but it only covers QB's and on a limited basis, WR's. A running back can still have his brains bashed in legally, according to NFL rule. If McCoy were a RB and not a QB James Harrison would not have been flagged and suspended . How is that fair to RB's?

The Hines Ward rule? Come on! Can't block a guy if he cant see you? This league is trying to go pansy on us and it is losing fans. At least Steelers fans. Do you guys really enjoy the games just as much as you did 10 years ago? Do you like the direction the NFL is going? I know I'm going to get the smart-ass comments and I really wouldn't want it any other way, but I would like some insightful feed back as well.

Steelers fans need to quit with the woe is me nonsense. You have a team that competes year in and year out. Im pretty sure any Browns fan would absolutely love to have that problem. Just enjoy the fact you've been lucky enough to root for a team that's been consistently good for the better part of the past decade. To give you a baseball analogy, it would be like a Cardinals fan complaining to a Cubs fan that they didn't win the World Series convincingly enough.

Steelers fans need to quit with the woe is me nonsense. You have a team that competes year in and year out. Im pretty sure any Browns fan would absolutely love to have that problem. Just enjoy the fact you've been lucky enough to root for a team that's been consistently good for the better part of the past decade. To give you a baseball analogy, it would be like a Cardinals fan complaining to a Cubs fan that they didn't win the World Series convincingly enough.

I've been watching football for a long, long time- and I'll say this- the rules almost had to change, guys are just getting too big and too strong for their own good. The year round working out has altered the types of injuries we're seeing. Torn pectoral muscles, blown out biceps tendons, and torn patellar tendons were unheard of back in the '60s- they're not uncommon at all now.

Guys like Harrison are going to have to re-learn how to tackle someone, I wouldn't have approved they way he went after any quarterback, not just McCoy. What's wrong with just wrapping a guy up, instead of throwing your body at an opponent's head, or knees?

I had this convo earlier with my roomate. If you want to go back to the old days sooooo badly you wanna ask the players to take the same amount of pay they did then???? Because quite honestly, the game has changed in a lot of ways based on two things in my opinion...

First thing that has changed is the marketing and advertising of the game to the point that it has become a "family" affair. This change has also brought along with it the responsibility of not displaying the sport to be an all out "violent" game. They are filling their pocketbooks so that little Jimmy has a great time and doesn't see a guy die at the 35 yard line because of a brutal helmet to helmet blast. Anyone remember Joe Theisman's leg breaking in half on national TV??? I certainly do and it still sticks in my head years and years later. I'm talking about this purely from a business standpoint here.

Secondly....surprise it has to do with MONEY again. IMO I feel like the Vets from "the good old days" making such a demand for better medical care to deal with their smashed up brains after the fact is probably the biggest reason for all of these rules now. They don't want to keep having to dump money into people who blew every dime they made on drugs, hookers, and bad investments in the 70's and 80's and can't afford to keep themselves healthy now. By creating these rules now it guarantees that in 20 more years they won't have these same issues, as the "good old days" players will have passed on and the newly retired will be ok from the diminished playing rules.

Just my 2 cents

Whenever things seem ridiculous and out of hand look towards money always being the culprit.

Gay men lose interest in the NFL because they were initially attracted by things like yellow rah-rah towels, fun little songs, and Hines Ward's smile.

Once it becomes about the actual football they lose interest.

You, Sir, are a gay man.

Z

I hate the fact that when I watch a huge hit, the first thing I think of is, oh no, is that a fine now? Big hits have always been a huge part of the NFL and now they're trying to take that away. I understand player safety, but this isn't a safe game.

When a safety makes a huge hit to stop a team on 3rd down and he gets flagged for it, it completely changes the game.

I have no problem with the Personal Conduct Policy, it's definitely needed to get these thugs under control. But the inconsistency of the fines and suspensions is just as bad as the new sissy rules.

I'm start to like college more and more each year.

I will agree to a certain point. If the Steelers were the Browns I would be pissed about the rule changes and I do think it's stupid that QBs and WRs get so much protection, but RBs are not covered. I think a head hunting rule it good, but it rule goes way over board. The no head shot rule on QB's throwing is good, but the now hands to the head part is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Unless the guy is using his hand as a hammer fist on a QB's head it should never be called, but we see with the Steelers and even the Browns that a hand dragging on the helmet in an attempt to knock to ball out of the hand or the air not only draws personal foul penalties, but fines the following week (See Roth last year and Taylor last week against the Steelers). The WR head shot rule is also stupid. I agree that you should go helmet to helmet, but we see guys getting fined for going shoulder to helmet or hand to helmet and also receiving fines (see Ward last year vs Bengals). Stop the helmet to helmet but don't turn these guys into pussies by saying you can't tough their heads.

Replay pisses me off, along with the penalties & fines. The NFL officiating has deteriorated since replay came in- anybody see the Viking's game last week...how did they miss that facemask on the last play? Do you think if that was Big Ben, Tom Brady, or Rodgers, they would have missed that?

Replay pisses me off, along with the penalties & fines. The NFL officiating has deteriorated since replay came in- anybody see the Viking's game last week...how did they miss that facemask on the last play? Do you think if that was Big Ben, Tom Brady, or Rodgers, they would have missed that?

No they wouldn't have. You also notice a lot of QB hits others take besides those three that don't get flagged. I mean Taylor got a flag and a fine for just touching Big Ben's helmet, not hitting it but touching it, and he got called but how many times has Colt gotten slapped in the head this year and no one calls it not to mention all the times he gets hit low. Stupid rules that are only followed for a few people.

If things are so bad for yinz, I suggest you all turn in your tickets and turn off your TV sets...as clearly you have all become a pile of Wendy Whiners. First off, I don't agree that Harrison plays the way Steeler fans are "used to seeing them play". No. Spearing with the helmet has been a penalty ever since at least the 70s.

The only thing that is "going pansy" are the spoiled Steeler fans who seemingly think that everything should always be geared to give that team an advantage.

No they wouldn't have. You also notice a lot of QB hits others take besides those three that don't get flagged. I mean Taylor got a flag and a fine for just touching Big Ben's helmet, not hitting it but touching it, and he got called but how many times has Colt gotten slapped in the head this year and no one calls it not to mention all the times he gets hit low. Stupid rules that are only followed for a few people.

OK, the rules HAVE changed when it comes to hitting QBs. A light tap to the head gets a flag, any tackle below the waist gets a flag, any tackle above the waist gets a flag.....hell if you saw that tackle made last week on Tom Brady any tackle AT the waist gets a flag...if it looks too hard.

I think the problem may not be the rules, but the refs not following the rules and going overboard.

But the spearing rules, as I have said, have been around forever. Look at this study, which was done in the mid-90s with data in it going back to the 60s and 70s.:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ccoCnd3KI0IC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=spearing+with+the+helmet&source=bl&ots=-F-7TBCjZj&sig=fdQKMKPXmZ64ovF7Vxg9-Zz5yZ4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=c4PrTuuPMYevsQLA3I28CQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=spearing%20with%20the%20helmet&f=false

So, like I said, the rule is not new....just the concerns about it seem to be new.

I'm so phukkin tired to listening to all the stupid yinzers call in to all the Pittsburgh talk shows trying to justify the hit. Harrison got what he deserved. Toss out all the excuses! McCoy wasn't getting past him. All he had to do was drop a shoulder into him. There was no need to hit him that high! It was a pretty stupid play for a man two games back from a broken face. Poetic justice would be if he re-broke his face!

Men will always rule the world. Timid/meek people may inherit the earth after the end of days, but for today, the Lion wins and will continue to win.

If you think that a faggot with a woman's genitalia between his legs, polesmoking, P.O.S phony like Goddell is going to reshape the nature of tackling in the NFL, then you are truly a nincompoop.

All over America here are kids getting ready to play PeePee football, and who do you think they want to gow up to be like? McCoy, Massaquoi and Bribbs? Or, the sonofabitch that turned them into women.

Harrison is an icon, he is a symbol of machismo, disrespect, freedom of spirit and bad ass football. People pay to see animals like him perform.

For all of Godell's fines and bullshit suspensions, he will be outlasted and trumped by Harrison.

Godell is a homosexual.

Remember the Golden Rule Ghoolie- "he who has the gold makes the rules". And in that regard the owners trump the players by orders of magnitude. They also pull Goodell's puppet strings in case you didn't notice. If they didn't like they way he was running things, they could & would have fired him a long time ago.

It ain't Neanderthals like Harrison that put fans in the seats- it's the name quarterbacks like Brady and Brees. Don't beleive me? Go to a Steelers game and count the number of Rothlisberger jerseys in the stands as opposed to the number of Harrison jerseys- I'm betting the ratio is 20:1, if not higher. Owners get a tad riled when a thug puts their $28 million investment on the shelf for the season with an intent to injure hit. And Goon Harrison is the poster boy for it. Next hit like that sits him down for three games, not one, one more and he's gone for the year. Frankly I hope he does it again to another quarteback, he'll be sitting at home for the playoffs.

yinz. yinzers. yokels. hicks. dicks. incestual fornicators. cock suckers. pillow biters. pink piccolo players. flamers. butt pirates. yawn.

all shittburger heraldry.

all you fuckin tough guys that think that the new rules are hurting football..........

can we dress you up in a colt mccoy uniform, go out on the field and have a roid orangutan come barreling at you with his "oh he short, so he can't lower his head, he's got a low center of gravity" 25 mph with a helmet over his large inflated neptune size noggin and crack you in your mug?

yeah right. fxxkin bitches. or better yet take a punch/elbow in the face from mike tyson back in his prime?

yeah. what now faggots?

now we got the saints fairy aligning himself with the steeler queers. i guess the mayans were right. they're all butt munchers.

now we got the saints fairy aligning himself with the steeler queers. i guess the mayans were right. they're all butt munchers.[/b]

FYI I'm the biggest steelers fan this week because I need the 49ers to lose for the saints to get a bye

Having said that I was only agreeing that the NFL is turning into soccer. You can't hit anybody anywhere except their belly buttons and even then you have to wait for them to be lookin at you to do it

The rule changes are going to kill the NFL and everything that helped make it popular

Funny how every person on this thread who isn't losing interest and supports the stricter rules accompany their post with a bunch of crap/ whining about the Steelers. Most of the people who are losing interest and don't support how strict the league is becoming are speaking about the NFL as a whole and not just a specific team. It's very obvious that the people who can't resist talking about the Steelers in their posts have opinions that are largely shaped by the fact that the Steelers are being punished under the new rules. I hope all you people continue to carry on as you do and make it more obvious that you want NFL rules based on how it will affect the Steelers, and not how it will change football as we know it.

You gor it bro and the league is figuring how to put skirts on certain players while allowing them to wear jock straps, the NFL has become a money and refs and screw the real players fug em, and we go round and round, and the league more and more becomes a trasvesty saluted by brain dead fans saluting what happened again to a PLAYER harrison

Well, I got what I expected, a few fans of football see what this league is really coming to, a T.V. drama. Most though like the idea of the new NFL and I guess, in part, that is why they can change the game to suit their needs. It will not be too long before a DB has to wait until a receiver catches the ball and makes a "football move" before they can attempt a tackle and QB's aren't allowed to be hit at all. Let's just go ahead and change it to 7 on 7, like in practice, so the scores can reach into the 100's! How fun and exciting will that be?

Funny how every person on this thread who isn't losing interest and supports the stricter rules accompany their post with a bunch of crap/ whining about the Steelers. Most of the people who are losing interest and don't support how strict the league is becoming are speaking about the NFL as a whole and not just a specific team. It's very obvious that the people who can't resist talking about the Steelers in their posts have opinions that are largely shaped by the fact that the Steelers are being punished under the new rules. I hope all you people continue to carry on as you do and make it more obvious that you want NFL rules based on how it will affect the Steelers, and not how it will change football as we know it.

Sorry, this isn't JUST about the Steelers. This is about guys coming to the realization every one of their FREAKING plays is available in slo-mo replay. Like Gipper pointed out, spearing's been illegal for years. Your own coach piously bleated "we've been working with James to change". Well, not working. The booger had a free shot at McCoy (and I don't give a rat if it had been any other qb in the NFL) and decided to take him out. So take a seat James, change your ways.

Turnaround is fair game- you want violence- may Ben take a similar shot along the way. Turkey Jones piledrive- right on!!! I LOVED the closeline Lynn Swann took on the sideline way back when that nearly decapitated him. I want to see more of the Haynesworth and Suh stomping on guys, it's all part of the culture of violence- let your emotions flow, Luke- come to the Dark Side. May Harrison's foot "accidentally" get stepped on by an offensive lineman, and some linebacker totally blow his knee out with a chop block. That the kind of rough and tumble football you want? Tell you what- if they went back to 60s rules with head slaps and all the other stuff that went along with it, they'd have to expand the roster to 75 players, because you'd have 30 guys on IR every year.

Archived