THE BROWNS BOARD

Robert Griffin Iii Is Scary Good

jrb12711

He's nothing like Tebow, Tebow is a fullback trying to play QB. He is a little dim and can't throw very well.

RGIII is like a fast wideout playing QB, he is smart with a near perfect effortless throwing motion, and he has a gun that's quick & accurate. With the right team and good health he will be very very good. IMHO

His throwing is far from "near perfect".

If that were the case, he'd be the consensus #1.

He's more Troy Smith than anything else. If Troy Smith and Michael Vick had a baby, it would be RG3.

What worries me is that his plays are fed to him at the LOS by signal callers on the sideline. I don't know how well he reads the defense on his own, nor do I know how much freedom he has in audibling.

There's no doubt in my mind that's he's a smart kid with his head on right. He's a good "face of the franchise" draft pick. I just don't think he's as great as some make him out to be. He has his flaws. He relies on his feet a little too much, he's not going to outrun as many people in the NFL. He takes a lot of hits and has a smaller frame than you'd like to see for that, you have to wonder how his health will hold up. He's going to get hit a hell of a lot harder than he is being hit now.

Honestly, I think Cam Newton was the worst thing to happen to Cleveland. His success may make us screw up the upcoming draft, which will set us back another three years.

He's more Troy Smith than anything else. If Troy Smith and Michael Vick had a baby, it would be RG3.

What worries me is that his plays are fed to him at the LOS by signal callers on the sideline. I don't know how well he reads the defense on his own, nor do I know how much freedom he has in audibling.

There's no doubt in my mind that's he's a smart kid with his head on right. He's a good "face of the franchise" draft pick. I just don't think he's as great as some make him out to be. He has his flaws. He relies on his feet a little too much, he's not going to outrun as many people in the NFL. He takes a lot of hits and has a smaller frame than you'd like to see for that, you have to wonder how his health will hold up. He's going to get hit a hell of a lot harder than he is being hit now.

Honestly, I think Cam Newton was the worst thing to happen to Cleveland. His success may make us screw up the upcoming draft, which will set us back another three years.

I'm not going to judge RG III on one game. But you're right on all accounts. Griffin does indeed have a cannon arm- but his mechanics are far from perfect. Happy feet too- and he weighs 30 pounds less than Fig Newton.

Um, there's the Heisman Curse to be dealt with too. Ask Hillis about Madden.

The Browns HAVE to nail the #4 pick, if they can't get a super stud there trade back again, and stockpile even more picks.

Every draft pick is a crap shoot. RG3, could be another Vince Young for all we know. I haven't watched enough of RG3 to really form an opinion, but what I have seen is a player that I don't think fits into our system. However, that could change, if RG3 is willing to learn and change. As someone mentioned, his frame is scary. He looks like he could snap in half, but sometimes those wirey guys can bend but never brake. You, you really don't know. But I would like to see 15-20 pounds of muscle be added to that frame.

His arm strength is nice, but we need a WR to compliment that strength. This is something we haven't had since Derek Anderson.

Here's an idea. Draft RG3, and grab his favorite WR from Baylor too...

Good analysis, and part of me does feel that way especially about Cam Newton boosting his status. But I think you and other people are missing a few things here. One, he has near 4 months to put on some muscle and fine tune his mechanics. I agree, I wouldn't call his throwing perfect, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. He has a quick release which is the most important thing in the NFL. I disagree with you about him being able to outrun people too. Even at the elite level of the game fast is fast. This guy literally has close to Olympic speed. I also disagree about how some people say he doesn't fit into our system. Most of baylors passing game is between 8-10 routes, but the highlights only show the bombs. RGIII definitely has the ability to understand the offense and could adjust to it.

I do however completely agree on the reading defenses part. It's hard to say for certain, but it does seem like he's spoon fed the plays and does little to adjust them at. That will definitely come out in full light by the draft though. I just feel like this guy is a special player who is going to be a winner in the NFL along with the face of the franchise, which is something the browns haven't had for a very long time.

i wouldn't draft anyone from overated baylor when they barely beat an unrated washington.

fxxk drafting QB this year. draft all players from SEC's alabama or lsu's defensive squad and i'd be a happy MFer. oh but throw in a OL as our second pick just to piss rich off.

yeah rg111 is great and a good kid, but let him be someone else's project. we have way too many holes to fill w/o even talking about QB.

First Off he has one of the quickest releases of the throwing the football i have seen, he does what are QBs lack to do which is throw a five yard slant hard and in the numbers and on time that is a big part of are offense...Which in turns opens up the long balls which he has great accuarcy on.

If the Colts say they are happy with the #2 pick because RG3 would be there after Luck and they dont have Luck that much higher rated it shows you how much upside he has...

Believe this before the draft after the Combine Cleveland may even have to move up to grab him at #4 i dont think he will be there, i think Washington or Miami or someone else will trade ahead of us and draft him..

Also if we draft him i still start Colt Next year and let RG3 learn the system and give him a little time i wouldnt start him right away over Colt..

RGiii has potential. but im not completely done with colt mccoy yet. Considering how terrible our situation was with our offense. Without a consistent running game for most of the year, our best WR being a rookie and a Brand new offensive coordinator/ head coach. i say pass on him just because im not sure we need to draft him so high. I say get DE quientin coples from NC to go opposite from sheard, then pick up kendall wright from baylor. Then go mike adams from ohio state. with that we would have A good big strong receiver (greg little) a burner deep threat (kendall wright) and a very good quick shifty slot receiver (jordan norwood) with a more experience Colt mccoy and a peyton hillis. And on defense we will have too Great 43 De to rush the passer.

RGiii has potential. but im not completely done with colt mccoy yet. Considering how terrible our situation was with our offense. Without a consistent running game for most of the year, our best WR being a rookie and a Brand new offensive coordinator/ head coach. i say pass on him just because im not sure we need to draft him so high. I say get DE quientin coples from NC to go opposite from sheard, then pick up kendall wright from baylor. Then go mike adams from ohio state. with that we would have A good big strong receiver (greg little) a burner deep threat (kendall wright) and a very good quick shifty slot receiver (jordan norwood) with a more experience Colt mccoy and a peyton hillis. And on defense we will have too Great 43 De to rush the passer.

I'm fine with everything you said (I really don't care if we stick with Colt or go RGIII) except for taking Coples from UNC. Only had like 8 sacks against very bad competition in the ACC. A Late first early second round pick I would take him, not with the 4th overall pick. I think that DE from Illi would be a much better option than Coples if we had to take a DE with the 4th overall pick. Not a speed rusher but is still a really good pass rusher, he has a very quick first step, has a wide variety of pass rush moves, is good against the rush, and has played against tougher competition (Big 10 O-Lines are the best in the country).

I don't see much difference between him an Troy Smith, being Smith was a 5th rd. pick and hasn't dramatically impacted an NFL team, I'm passing on the RG3 hype. He's a system QB, and that system doesn't win consistently in the NFL. He'll make a better kick returner.

The big difference is, Between The Ears.

Archived