THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Mock Draft

Bills-n-Browns-Fan

4.)Robert Griffin III (QB/Baylor)- Would bring a future to the Browns, Dual-Threat(Pass first, run second), and can throw one of the best deep balls in CFB right now. Mostly takes snaps from shotgun and would need development.

22.)Kendall Wright (WR/Baylor)- Deep threat for RGIII and can stretch most defenses.

35.)Whitney Mercilus (DE/Illinois)- Can be the Browns RE opposite of Sheard and can DOMINATE!!!

70.)Nate Potter (T/Boise State)- Most underrated tackle in the draft this year and has dominated tough competition during his career...also replaces one of the worst RT's in the league...nuff said.

Rd 4a.)Doug Martin (RB/Boise State)- Insurance Policy for Hillis and has same running style.

Rd 4b.)Sean Spence (LB/Miami)- Will fall due to size and adds speed to LB corps.

Summary: most Browns games I observed this season were close games with good teams and if we were to have more explosiveness on offense they COULD'VE been W's. Our defense has remained reliable and with the pieces from above (if they pan out) the defense can take the next step toward becoming a shut-down D!!

rgiii is not our guy....same as colt, he prefers to play outta the gun, comes from a single read offense with a run option.

given that we saw a rigid offense that did not bend to the strengths of the players, rgiii would only struggle here. great talent....sure, but not a very good fit for what we're trying to do. with a better coach, i'd be all for it....but not under these circumstances.

however, other teams will want him, which gives us a couple possible trading partners to move down a few spots and get more picks for him. washington at 6 comes to mind...

best bet would be to bring in flynn, use the picks to amass talent on the outside, shore up the line and get a TE and HB in here.

rgiii is not our guy....same as colt, he prefers to play outta the gun, comes from a single read offense with a run option.

given that we saw a rigid offense that did not bend to the strengths of the players, rgiii would only struggle here. great talent....sure, but not a very good fit for what we're trying to do. with a better coach, i'd be all for it....but not under these circumstances.

however, other teams will want him, which gives us a couple possible trading partners to move down a few spots and get more picks for him. washington at 6 comes to mind...

best bet would be to bring in flynn, use the picks to amass talent on the outside, shore up the line and get a TE and HB in here.

Who says he prefers to play out of the shotgun? Thats just the type of offense they run at Baylor. WCO is about accuracy, his was 70% plus this season. And he has a cannon for an arm. Why do you prefer mediocrity? This is a QB driven league and you would rather stay with the status quo. I would prefer McCoy was the guy so we wouldn't have to have this stupid conversation but I see no signs that show me he will be that guy. So we improve the rest of the team we may become mediocre even wild card material but thats the best we can ever hope to be because our QB sucks and we have played ourselves out of the top future QB prospects. This is the best chance we have had in a while to get top QB prospect, lets use the draft ammo we have to improve the most important position on the field.

is it an improvement?

not imo...

the WCO is also about reading defenses, going thru your progressions and getting the ball out quick. they ran a spread...no? colt ran a spread, and had problems playing from under center. tebow ran a spread.....and still is.

much of his scouting report is dandy...except for a few alarming parts:

Field vision: Plays in an offense where he's not asked to make many pre-snap adjustments. Like many college spread quarterbacks, Griffin isn't asked to go through more than a progression or two after the snap. Typically plays only one side of the field.

Mechanics: Prior to his junior season, Griffin adjusted his release, which has helped him improve his accuracy on deeper throws. Griffin's release is over the top, so it's not always the fastest, but not it's not a detriment. Unknown footwork when taking snaps from under center.

Decision making: Griffin rarely throws bad passes. One spot you'd like to Griffin get better is throwing the ball away. Griffin know he's a superstar athlete, but he needs to learn to throw the ball away instead of trying to make plays with his legs.

much of this is coachable, but how long is what im really getting at. if you all think this kids gonna waltz right in here and produce a top 15 offense immediately, youre insane. given the reluctance of shurmur to adapt the system to mccoy, im not sure they'd do that for rgiii either. so the question really is, how long will it take him to learn how to read defenses and go thru his progression.

is it an improvement?

not imo...

the WCO is also about reading defenses, going thru your progressions and getting the ball out quick. they ran a spread...no? colt ran a spread, and had problems playing from under center. tebow ran a spread.....and still is.

much of his scouting report is dandy...except for a few alarming parts:

Field vision: Plays in an offense where he's not asked to make many pre-snap adjustments. Like many college spread quarterbacks, Griffin isn't asked to go through more than a progression or two after the snap. Typically plays only one side of the field.

Mechanics: Prior to his junior season, Griffin adjusted his release, which has helped him improve his accuracy on deeper throws. Griffin's release is over the top, so it's not always the fastest, but not it's not a detriment. Unknown footwork when taking snaps from under center.

Decision making: Griffin rarely throws bad passes. One spot you'd like to Griffin get better is throwing the ball away. Griffin know he's a superstar athlete, but he needs to learn to throw the ball away instead of trying to make plays with his legs.

much of this is coachable, but how long is what im really getting at. if you all think this kids gonna waltz right in here and produce a top 15 offense immediately, youre insane. given the reluctance of shurmur to adapt the system to mccoy, im not sure they'd do that for rgiii either. so the question really is, how long will it take him to learn how to read defenses and go thru his progression.

Sam Bradford ran a spread and had one of the best rookie seasons ever and thrived under Shurmur and RGIII shouldn't atart right away so he can work on taking snaps under center.

passing for 3000+ yards is not call for saying greatest rookie season ever.....cam has 4300+ this year. you cannot use one metric to substantiate such a claim.

how'd bradford look this year? uh huh....

methinks there's more to it...like i said.

passing for 3000+ yards is not call for saying greatest rookie season ever.....cam has 4300+ this year. you cannot use one metric to substantiate such a claim.

how'd bradford look this year? uh huh....

methinks there's more to it...like i said.

Well I guess Shurmur had something to do with that sucess and Bradford (before Newton) had the highest amount of passing yards for a rookie, more TD's than INT's, and almost led the Rams to a playoff berth.

I hope it's true...to early to tell

Dolphins give us Cameron Wake and their 1st round pick for our #4 would this be a good trade?

They are also talking of trading Wake, Marshall and their first to the colts for Luck...they want another Marino BAD...i just want a kosar or sipe...never really needed a Marino or Montana to keep me coming to the stadium.

or even Washington trading us Orakpo and their pick...it's pretty sad that our best defensive player is a rookie. Imagine how much better Sheard would be if we had someone coming from the other side as well, they can't double team two great players.

So...when Holmgren was joking about if we would be mad if we picked up a defensive player with our 4th pick...heck no, if we got TRUE value out of it with a bonus.

DAMN IM EXCITED AS HELL ABOUT 2015...GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!!!!

Alshon Jeffery declared today.

Assuming we don't land Blackmon at 4, and also assuming Alshon is rated behind Floyd, do you think there's a possibility of him being on the board for our second first round pick?

One thing this will do is push Wright down the board, at the very least making it easier for us to get.

Well I guess Shurmur had something to do with that sucess and Bradford (before Newton) had the highest amount of passing yards for a rookie, more TD's than INT's, and almost led the Rams to a playoff berth.

WOW! REALLY?

he must be f'in awesome then! almost to the playoffs? a TD/INT ratio > 1? damn....know what all that matters now? nothing...cause bradford crashed and burned. was shurmur responsible for his success? possibly...but his management of colt doesn't paint a good picture for that conclusion either, now does it?

now you wanna address griffins shortcomings about playing from under center, or you wanna continue to claim that since 2 of the best QB's to come from the spread may succeed (3 total years of data btw), that griffin is not a risk for making the transition?

seriously...saying its fine because another player was ok is not a valid argumentative stance. this is not a math class...the transitive property DOES NOT APPLY IN FOOTBALL.

i just want a kosar or sipe...never really needed a Marino or Montana to keep me coming to the stadium.

this is why the Browns have yet to prosper really since Kosar.

Kosar was in that conversation, because he proved himself to be a franchise QB (he was also a good, high-profile QB in college -- it's because of his success that a lot of people hyped Testaverde). It's why he is still beloved today.

But ever since his unceremonious exit, the Browns have tried and failed to recreate that magic. IMO, I think they're more concerned with image (and also about $$$).

think about the guys that have sat in that chair since reinstatement:

- Couch (drafted OVER the guy the Eagles picked, who went on to be a 10+ year franchise QB)

- Garcia (mismatch in the worst way, picked out of desperation)

- Dilfer (ditto, got pre-empted due to fan pressure to...)

- Frye (it looked good on paper, Akron U grad, non-flash... total disaster)

- Derek Anderson (given what he did for that one season, he earned his chance, but... disaster)

- Brady Quinn (Troy Smith was better, and while Troy is out of the NFL... Brady Quinn lost his job to TEBOW)

- Jake Delhomme (absolute disgrace, they already had Seneca, never was the same after Tommy John)

and now Colt. Who is possibly the most serviceable QB the Browns have had in years, but IMO outplayed by Seneca Wallace in relief (at least his drives ended in TDs more than once).

all because this team wants desperately to be the "Blue Collar Team That Wins" but realize that their old rival has the monopoly on that image (and actually has built a stable org around the idea, something the Browns have not). They need to stop acting like the team is HQ-ed in Chesterfield and get with the program.

Kosar is one of my favorite football players EVER, just because of how awkward (but good) he was.

He would be absolutely decimated behind center today.

But that ship has sailed. We need to stop coddling that antiquated image, stabilize the org, and it begins with breaking the mold and taking a chance on something new in the draft.

if the Detroit Lions can finally do it (and make the playoffs after the biggest embarrassment an NFL team can have), so can we.

Don't bring Peyton here. Don't bring Matt Flynn either(he's ripe for the Redskins or Jets to feast on).

Keep Colt or get a FA qb but I really think we should take a chance on Russell Wilson late in the 3rd or 4th round if he's there. The guy is a great athlete and he has the anticipation and awareness to make NFL type throws. I believe he could be a solid NFL qb. He doesn't wait for the receivers to get open, he throws them open. He's even the type of qb that will sling it before the receiver is looking for it.

Overall i think the risk is worth it late in 3rd/early 4th for this guy.

Alshon Jeffery declared today.

Assuming we don't land Blackmon at 4, and also assuming Alshon is rated behind Floyd, do you think there's a possibility of him being on the board for our second first round pick?

One thing this will do is push Wright down the board, at the very least making it easier for us to get.

I did this with the assumption that Alshon already declared and is a much more HUGE talent than Floyd IMO, but that's just my own opinion.

this is why the Browns have yet to prosper really since Kosar.

Kosar was in that conversation, because he proved himself to be a franchise QB (he was also a good, high-profile QB in college -- it's because of his success that a lot of people hyped Testaverde). It's why he is still beloved today.

But ever since his unceremonious exit, the Browns have tried and failed to recreate that magic. IMO, I think they're more concerned with image (and also about $$$).

think about the guys that have sat in that chair since reinstatement:

- Couch (drafted OVER the guy the Eagles picked, who went on to be a 10+ year franchise QB)

- Garcia (mismatch in the worst way, picked out of desperation)

- Dilfer (ditto, got pre-empted due to fan pressure to...)

- Frye (it looked good on paper, Akron U grad, non-flash... total disaster)

- Derek Anderson (given what he did for that one season, he earned his chance, but... disaster)

- Brady Quinn (Troy Smith was better, and while Troy is out of the NFL... Brady Quinn lost his job to TEBOW)

- Jake Delhomme (absolute disgrace, they already had Seneca, never was the same after Tommy John)

and now Colt. Who is possibly the most serviceable QB the Browns have had in years, but IMO outplayed by Seneca Wallace in relief (at least his drives ended in TDs more than once).

all because this team wants desperately to be the "Blue Collar Team That Wins" but realize that their old rival has the monopoly on that image (and actually has built a stable org around the idea, something the Browns have not). They need to stop acting like the team is HQ-ed in Chesterfield and get with the program.

Kosar is one of my favorite football players EVER, just because of how awkward (but good) he was.

He would be absolutely decimated behind center today.

But that ship has sailed. We need to stop coddling that antiquated image, stabilize the org, and it begins with breaking the mold and taking a chance on something new in the draft.

if the Detroit Lions can finally do it (and make the playoffs after the biggest embarrassment an NFL team can have), so can we.

Don't bring Peyton here. Don't bring Matt Flynn either(he's ripe for the Redskins or Jets to feast on).

I suggested this possibility a few weeks back. I noted particularly that the Browns AFCN opponents all have what you would call "pocket passer" QBs. BR, Dalton, Flacco. They have mobility, but they are not what you would call mobile. An RGIII could be a change of pace type QB from those and might be successful. And get speed. Get Kendell Wright. And LaMichael James etc. Those types that can really rev up the motor. Don't say it can't work in Cleveland because of the weather, that is BS.

I really really like Doug Martin he was my pick for next years rookie of the year...he has fight, feet and flight (the 3Fs that make you a mean mother trucker...and a lot of his TDs where blue collar touchdowns. However, he will not last past the 2nd round in my opinion. I don't have a problem taking Trent at 12+ If we can patch the O-line get a basher QB trasher in the late 1st and then a WR in the 2nd and hopefully we picked up and extra 2 somewhere maybe from a trade with Philly or Miami, then yes I would jump at Martin at 44+. He would be a cheaper pickup for us then keeping Hillis ( I like Hillis alot, but after 8 yards the boy falls down, every play he falls down he has very very bad balance, though he could rip my head off and and pull my heart out temple of doom style)

Alshon has, I believe, a higher upside than Blackmon. Alshon reminds me more of a Brandon Lloyd, where's Blackmon reminds me more of Anquan Boldin.

Both great receivers, just different styles.

I agree with you that Alshon may have a higher potential because of his size and he great hands. However, I believe Blackmon is more of a sure-thing. Jeffery has bust potential that might be as high as his talent potential. I think Blackmon fits our team better because of his YAC ability and his deep threat potential. Jeffery is a bit slower but reminds me of Plaxico. Blackmon reminds me of T.O.

4.)Robert Griffin III (QB/Baylor)- Would bring a future to the Browns, Dual-Threat(Pass first, run second), and can throw one of the best deep balls in CFB right now. Mostly takes snaps from shotgun and would need development.

22.)Kendall Wright (WR/Baylor)- Deep threat for RGIII and can stretch most defenses.

35.)Whitney Mercilus (DE/Illinois)- Can be the Browns RE opposite of Sheard and can DOMINATE!!!

70.)Nate Potter (T/Boise State)- Most underrated tackle in the draft this year and has dominated tough competition during his career...also replaces one of the worst RT's in the league...nuff said.

Rd 4a.)Doug Martin (RB/Boise State)- Insurance Policy for Hillis and has same running style.

Rd 4b.)Sean Spence (LB/Miami)- Will fall due to size and adds speed to LB corps.

Summary: most Browns games I observed this season were close games with good teams and if we were to have more explosiveness on offense they COULD'VE been W's. Our defense has remained reliable and with the pieces from above (if they pan out) the defense can take the next step toward becoming a shut-down D!!

[/quote

There is no way Mercilus is there in the second, best DE in the draft. He will go in the first..

There is no way Mercilus is there in the second, best DE in the draft. He will go in the first..

Then I'd switch him with Nick Perry, either one is good for me...

I agree with you that Alshon may have a higher potential because of his size and he great hands. However, I believe Blackmon is more of a sure-thing. Jeffery has bust potential that might be as high as his talent potential. I think Blackmon fits our team better because of his YAC ability and his deep threat potential. Jeffery is a bit slower but reminds me of Plaxico. Blackmon reminds me of T.O.

Yea Alshon had like 800 yds rc this year...smells like bust

Archived