THE BROWNS BOARD

At Least Our Owner Shuts Up

BrownIndian

Jacksonville has a new NFL owner and a new head coach. But now it also has new PR problems.

Not only was the hire of coach Mike Mularkey panned by critics Wednesday, Jaguars owner Shahid Khan is in serious damage control mode after his comments about what makes a fan of his team.

Khan explained just what it takes to be a Jaguars fan, in his opinion: "I think I can clarify at this point for me a fan is somebody who is a season ticket holder fan for the Jaguars," said the new owner. "We want to hear from people, we want a huge amount of constructive feedback. We need input, but we need that from fans who are season ticket holders."

So the implication is if you're down on your luck and can't afford season tickets in a state hit hard by the recession, you're not a true fan.

Considering the Jaguars finished 24th in attendance in 2011, that's a pretty small number of supporters.

Khan wouldn't speak on camera to First Coast News about the backlash, but his representative spinned the dis as an "off-the-cuff comment."

LINK: http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201201/nfl-owner-claims-real-fans-are-season-ticket-holders

maybe it's because people would rather be on the beach than be at a stadium and watch the home team lose.

florida teams are all at the bottom of attendance, right? except for the heat i would suspect.

yeah the guy sounds like an asshole but at least he addresses the media. i haven't heard lerner say shit.....ever. like a shy little choir boy.

Yeah I went to the first game of the season last year when it was over 100 degrees with the sun burning down on me. Its miserable to be out in that humid heat for that long. At least at the beach you can cool down in the water. Its gotta be hell for the players. They need to have stadiums with retractable roofs.

yeah the guy sounds like an asshole but at least he addresses the media. i haven't heard lerner say shit.....ever. like a shy little choir boy.

i dont know about you, But I would rather have my owner shut his mouth and say nothing than spout crap like this. If this was Randy Lerner saying the same thing he would be crucified all across America.

Yeah I went to the first game of the season last year when it was over 100 degrees with the sun burning down on me. Its miserable to be out in that humid heat for that long. At least at the beach you can cool down in the water. Its gotta be hell for the players. They need to have stadiums with retractable roofs.

You go to USF? Half my family went there. I had season tickets for them this year. Sadly the team sucked :/

i dont know about you, But I would rather have my owner shut his mouth and say nothing than spout crap like this. If this was Randy Lerner saying the same thing he would be crucified all across America.

i just want to know that the browns' owner is alive and somewhere doing something to improve this team.

i mean what are his thoughts on the job holmgren is doing? what is he doing to embrace the fans of cleveland? something. anything.

Some owners speak to much and or even put their foot in their own mouth like art modell often liked to do, however our current owner really does not speak enough to the fans about his feelings/thoughts on things related to browns football or life in general...

It does bring up a funny question though, What in the hell would happen if we actually did get to the superbowl and won?

Would randy be hiding in the tunnels as mike holmgren accepts the lombardi trophy?

Unfortunately we may never know the answer..

You go to USF? Half my family went there. I had season tickets for them this year. Sadly the team sucked :/

I did go there. I live in Orlando now. The team was decent when I went there. I was there in 2007 when they were ranked (but shouldn't have been) #2. It was a great school but sadly the football team has been mediocre or worse.

I would say that the guy has it right somewhat. I do think that the fans that an owner should consider as his first and foremost fans are his most loyal customer base, and that is his season ticket holders. After all, they are the ones that primarily support the team.

I am not a Browns season ticket holder, never have been, and in reality I have only been to a handful of games in my life. Maybe a season's worth 15-16.

I would expect the Cleveland Browns to give far more weight and credibility ....or at least courtesy to those of you out there that are season ticket holders than they would give to someone like me as a general rule.

Obviously season ticket holders are not the ONLY fans. But they are the one's the club should most cater to.

Its like a restaurant. Who would the owner be more likely to cater to? A person that comes in every week with his family and has done so for years, or the guy that you have never seen in there before that comes in with a half off coupon and orders the cheapest thing on the menu and water to drink.

I did go there. I live in Orlando now. The team was decent when I went there. I was there in 2007 when they were ranked (but shouldn't have been) #2. It was a great school but sadly the football team has been mediocre or worse.

Right on man. I was there for the USF West Virginia game. Best game USF might ever have. Thats what Ray Jay should be like.

I would say that the guy has it right somewhat. I do think that the fans that an owner should consider as his first and foremost fans are his most loyal customer base, and that is his season ticket holders. After all, they are the ones that primarily support the team.

I am not a Browns season ticket holder, never have been, and in reality I have only been to a handful of games in my life. Maybe a season's worth 15-16.

I would expect the Cleveland Browns to give far more weight and credibility ....or at least courtesy to those of you out there that are season ticket holders than they would give to someone like me as a general rule.

Obviously season ticket holders are not the ONLY fans. But they are the one's the club should most cater to.

Its like a restaurant. Who would the owner be more likely to cater to? A person that comes in every week with his family and has done so for years, or the guy that you have never seen in there before that comes in with a half off coupon and orders the cheapest thing on the menu and water to drink.

Absolutely. They were just talking about this on KNR the other night. That our season ticket holders get the least perks out of all the teams. I am not sure of that, but they were talking about it and made that comment. I have other idea what the other teams do.

But this owner of the Jaguars, what an idiot. And maybe, he doesn't understand the scope of what being a "Fan" means, but he has a lot to learn. I have been a long time Browns fan, and have just went to my first game this year against the Steelers. We have been blessed financially that we were able to justify the cost of going to a game this year. I would love to have season tickets, and may eventually when the kids get older, but right now with the cost of braces for my daughter coming up and things needed done around the house, priorities need to be met. But I'm still a fan of the Browns and will always be.

Archived