THE BROWNS BOARD

Newt

Westside Steve

I'm fine if you take the Bible as a book of fables and myths, but people don't. They read into it, take parts of it literally, and use these parts that align with their beliefs.

Fables and myths.... you mean like Jericho? That was a myth, right? Oh, wait.... Archaeologists found Jericho....

In fact, time and time again, the Bible has been proven to be historically accurate through archaeology.

So the bible is a little bit more than fables and myths. You simply can't dispute that.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scientific Accuracy:

* Roundness of the earth (Isaiah 40:22)

* Almost infinite extent of the sidereal universe (Isaiah 55:9)

* Law of conservation of mass and energy (II Peter 3:7)

* Hydrologic cycle (Ecclesiastes 1:7)

* Vast number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22)

* Law of increasing entropy (Psalm 102:25-27)

* Paramount importance of blood in life processes (Leviticus 17:11)

* Atmospheric circulation (Ecclesiastes 1:6)

* Gravitational field (Job 26:7)

The Bible can include things that happened before it was written, that's just it including history. I'm sure there are tons of other old sources referencing even older things.... not a shock

Not to mention the Bible has been translated a shit load. You probably aren't even reading what it originally said.

Job 26:7 says "He stretches the north over empty space: He hangs the earth on nothing."

... totally sounds like gravitational field to me.....

Oh and the Earth is the center of the universe right?

The Bible also says the Earth is 6000 years old and that one man and one woman made all of us (that's a lot of incest). For every passage that you can twist and manipulate into something that kinda sounds like something else to make the Bible sound legit there are plenty more that just sound ridiculous. (One man took 2 of every fucking animal, put them on a boat he made by hand, and then was at sea for 40 days because the entire earth flooded.... ok).

And for every scientific "proof" in the bible there are other verses that contradict it

Psalm 104:5 "He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."

There are also plenty of passages that say the Earth is flat...

Again, the Bible is a good book to help people learn how to live good lives. Don't kill people, be nice to your neighbor, etc. But as a historical, accurate document? Come on...

Like I said, I don't want to elect someone that believes these stories as facts. Why would I elect someone that doesn't believe in evolution or thinks the earth is only 6000 years old? I believe in science... not something that people believe in simply because it is old and they've been taught to believe it by their parents who were taught by their parents etc.

On Translations... King George decided to have the Bible translated because there were to many incorrect versions being taught. look it up.

When the dead sea scrolls were found many athiests and non believers thought they would be able disprove that the Bible was not a true version of history. Guess what? It did the exact opposite and reaffirmed everything was correct.

Is carbon dating accurate?

Is carbon dating accurate? Only to a certain extent. In order for carbon dating to be accurate, we must know what the ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 was in the environment in which our specimen lived during its lifetime. Unfortunately the ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 has yet to reach a state of equilibrium in our atmosphere; there is more carbon-14 in the air today than there was thousands of years ago. Furthermore, the ratio is known to fluctuate significantly over relatively short periods of time (e.g. during the industrial revolution more carbon-12 was being produced offsetting the ratio a bit).

Continue reading here

On Translations... King George decided to have the Bible translated because there were to many incorrect versions being taught. look it up.

When the dead sea scrolls were found many athiests and non believers thought they would be able disprove that the Bible was not a true version of history. Guess what? It did the exact opposite and reaffirmed everything was correct.

Is carbon dating accurate?

Is carbon dating accurate? Only to a certain extent. In order for carbon dating to be accurate, we must know what the ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 was in the environment in which our specimen lived during its lifetime. Unfortunately the ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 has yet to reach a state of equilibrium in our atmosphere; there is more carbon-14 in the air today than there was thousands of years ago. Furthermore, the ratio is known to fluctuate significantly over relatively short periods of time (e.g. during the industrial revolution more carbon-12 was being produced offsetting the ratio a bit).

Continue reading here

And at the bottom of that page...

"What do you think?

We have all sinned and deserve God's judgment. God, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him. Jesus, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He died for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was buried, and rose from the dead according to the Bible. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your Savior, declaring, "Jesus is Lord," you will be saved from judgment and spend eternity with God in heaven."

which basically kills any argument you may have had.

Do you really believe the Earth is 6000 years old? Are you going to spit in the face of science and instead choose to follow a book simply because you grew up in a certain part of the world where that is the favorite book? You could have just as easily been born in Asia and not be following the Bible...

Well, I can't tell you what to believe, and I'm not going to try.

Like I said I'll go with what science can come up with facts and evidence for.

The only point of that little aside was me not wanting to vote for someone that believes in the Bible literally. IDK how we got there, but w/e.

Fables and myths.... you mean like Jericho? That was a myth, right? Oh, wait.... Archaeologists found Jericho....

In fact, time and time again, the Bible has been proven to be historically accurate through archaeology.

So the bible is a little bit more than fables and myths. You simply can't dispute that.

I'm not disputing the existence of Jericho, but if you really think that the walls came down because the attacking army blew their trumpets, you are delusional. I can't believe that this even needs to be explained, but just because a city mentioned in the Bible was found to exist, that doesn't validate everything in the story it was mentioned in.

And you post those Bible quotes as if they have any scientific basis. Protip: They don't. The first one refers to the Earth as a "circle." I'm not even going to bother with the rest. Furthermore, do you even know what each of those things in your list means? Or did you just google scientific evidence in the bible and copy the list that comes up?

So you accuse me of taking liberty with the true meaning of the bible's passages.... then you go and do the same thing.

We aren't the ones asserting that this is the word of your god.

Learn somethin every day... huh.

Libs have their own progressive interpretation of the Bible.

The King Obamao version?

I tell you this all the time, I'm not a liberal, or a conservative, or a democrat, or a republican. I know it is easier for you to comprehend if you can jam everyone into little drawers but it doesn't always work like that

and if by "King Obamao version" you mean the version a lot of intelligent people agree with and have based off of science, not myth, and have believed way before anyone even knew who Obama was, then yeah, that version.

I can assert that I want to be treated with certain degrees of respect, for example, if I fall in love with someone, I want to be able to marry them

You can, if you are a male, and you fall in love with a female.

Or, are you saying you'd like to take Woody and/or Heck out to a dinner and a movie?

I'm saying if I was in love with you, I'd take you out to a dinner and movie.

THEN NEVER CALL YOU AGAIN

You're a college whiney progressive extremist wingnut somebeech, methinks.

The Bible was originally written in Hebrew and Greek.

You think it's valid to re-write it in college science book?

I think not.

I'm saying if I was in love with you, I'd take you out to a dinner and movie. Vapor

No, you wouldn't, trust me. Now I need to go buy some pepper spray......:angry:

Cal, the only people who rewrite the Bible in scientific textbooks are creationists Vapor

heh. That's why I prefer as close to the original Hebrew and Greek translations as possible,

as a basis for writing in English that I can understand without warping my brain around

like reading Shakespeare.

You're a college whiney progressive extremist wingnut somebeech, methinks

I know that's what you think. I can tell you, from the source, the truth, but it wouldn't fit well with your preconceived notions so you'd choose not to acknowledge it.

It is a common pattern I've noticed from you

I think this!--->Proven wrong with facts/sources/science---> W/e that source is false I still think this!----> collective population slowly shakes head...

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapsed because the bridge's supports were placed right at the wrong spots in the bridge's wavelength when under stress from wind. Who would have thought even the slightest breeze blowing across a bridge could cause it to "gallop" and ultimately collapse?

Well, it's possible--and you know it is--that the trumpets could have caused enough vibrations, at the right wavelength, within the city's walls to cause them to crumble. You just choose to ignore its possibility.

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapsed because the bridge's supports were placed right at the wrong spots in the bridge's wavelength when under stress from wind. Who would have thought even the slightest breeze blowing across a bridge could cause it to "gallop" and ultimately collapse?

Hahaha, okay, you're really following up on this one? Okay... According to wikipedia

The first Tacoma Narrows Bridge opened to traffic on July 1, 1940. Its main span collapsed into the Tacoma Narrows four months later on November 7, 1940, at 11:00 AM (Pacific time) due to a physical phenomenon known as aeroelastic flutter caused by a 42 miles per hour (68 km/h) wind.

Yeah, slight breeze, sheesh. Do you realize how much force that is transferring to the bridge over an extended period of time (or even an instant, for that matter)? Apparently not.

Well, it's possible--and you know it is--that the trumpets could have caused enough vibrations, at the right wavelength, within the city's walls to cause them to crumble. You just choose to ignore its possibility.

Well, okay, in that case it's also possible that the eruption of air from my ass can cause a series of disruptions in the air which will cause flooding in the Philippines, half the world away. Yeah. Okay. It's possible. It's not bloody likely, though. It's possible we get hit by a meteor that we don't see every day and we'll go extinct. You think I worry about that shit?

Do you believe in unicorns, too?

I like personal mandates for healthcare.

I also like serious torte reform.

( Just for the record I was going to suggest someone here enjoys man dates but...... )

WSS

And that would have been hysterical. Because saying someone you don't like is gay? Comedy gold.

But yes, I know you like the mandate. I'm just wondering how many of the others who spent months talking about the end of our freedom realize that both of the Republican candidates had advocated for the same thing that made them so enraged when Obama advocated for it.

I'm with you on this one. I think the free rider problem is real and that owning insurance, or purchasing sort of alternate plan or bond, have to be part of any reform.

So people who can't buy hc insurance get fined.

You can CHOOSE not to drive if you don't want to buy auto insurance.

But you can't CHOOSE to exist or not.

And that, is a way for the gov to be more able to raise more money to buy more votes...

as in, "death panels", "death regulations", THEY decide the hc you get, and you won't like it, eventually.

And yes, the liability question - without auto insurance, driving is a dire threat to the well-being of others.

There is no liability problem with no med insurance.

I have no problem paying for care for those on welfare. But seriously, if somebody doesn't have hc insurance,

why not just go on welfare. Then they would HAVE IT.

I don't need to have the fed gov by MY "nanny" and take my allowance I earned, so all the other lazy, drug smokin

kids can have health insurance. I'd rather spend my allowance I earned on ME, with my OWN DECISIONS.

Now, if they want to go on welfare and have the state be THEIR nanny, so be it.

Assuming I paid taxes on my allowance.

Whatever. I want to go fishing and it isn't spring yet.

Well, that's what you have to pick from, Cal ol' buddy. Obama, the man who wrote the health bill that is virtually identical to Obama's, and the guy who supported the mandate that is the part of Obamacare you hate most and is taking away all of your freedoms.

Have fun at the ballot box!

Or, obama, the guy who ran against mandates in the election when he was trying to let us all know how hillary wanted to take away our freedom......

The reason I disagree with you cal, is the fact that sure you'd rather spend that money on something that you'd like to have. And it's noble enough to say by gum I'm going to take care of myself if I get sick.

But you probably can't.

Fall off the tractor get hurt bad and that's going to cost somebody a lot of money.

And I know you a guy who would hate to see is poor little wife bankrupted by paying those bills or losing the farm. Sure the hospital has to take care of you but you're not going to get the crack service that you would had you been insured. And if you don't make that much money you dont pay that much for your premium. Even medicaid patients should have to put in something not just stroll in to the er everytime the kid coughs.

Even if its only for a few minutes everybody should stop and think about the cost of the service they are receiving.

IMO

WSS

Hahaha, okay, you're really following up on this one? Okay... According to wikipedia

Yeah, slight breeze, sheesh. Do you realize how much force that is transferring to the bridge over an extended period of time (or even an instant, for that matter)? Apparently not.

Well, okay, in that case it's also possible that the eruption of air from my ass can cause a series of disruptions in the air which will cause flooding in the Philippines, half the world away. Yeah. Okay. It's possible. It's not bloody likely, though. It's possible we get hit by a meteor that we don't see every day and we'll go extinct. You think I worry about that shit?

Do you believe in unicorns, too?

You didn't read what I said. I said the slightest breeze would cause it to gallop. Do not challenge me on this, you do not know more than I do about these kind of things, and I certainly wouldn't be quoting Wikipedia as a valid source of information. Don't be all but hurt because you very well know continued vibrations at just the right frequency can cause things to collapse. I don't believe in unicorns, but I do believe you're being an asshole. The continued insult to anyone who chooses to believe differently than your "superior" atheist beliefs are getting quite old.

The reason I disagree with you cal, is the fact that sure you'd rather spend that money on something that you'd like to have. And it's noble enough to say by gum I'm going to take care of myself if I get sick.

But you probably can't.

Sure I can. I'm a veteran. My choice about a hundred bijjilion years ago. I can go get VA health insurance. I'm a veteran.

Wife has insurance - pretty cheap, because she went and got a degree, has a master's, and taught all these years and retired.

Fall off the tractor get hurt bad and that's going to cost somebody a lot of money.

See above. We were proactive earlier in life, paid our dues, and have benefits. We have insurance because

we planned for benefits many, many decades ago, and worked hard.

And I know you a guy who would hate to see is poor little wife bankrupted by paying those bills or losing the farm. Sure the hospital has to take care of you but you're not going to get the crack service that you would had you been insured.

Disagree with me? I know we have excellent health insurance. You need to quit being such a cool musical talent for bit,

and visit us on the farm. You need a sit down around the campfire and a good talkin to ya, buddy. B)

And if you don't make that much money you dont pay that much for your premium. Even medicaid patients should have to put in something not just stroll in to the er everytime the kid coughs.

Medicare/medicaid - that was paid for in all our checks, I think. It was bought over a lifetime. I know you don't know that,

because you are self-employed like I am.

Even if its only for a few minutes everybody should stop and think about the cost of the service they are receiving.

IMO

WSS

If you only knew. Call me. You'd be amazed at how much we know about that. :angry:

Archived