THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Hire Offensive Assistant

Nw220

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/01/cleveland_browns_adding_nolan.html

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have confirmed the addition of former St. Louis Rams receivers coach Nolan Cromwell to Pat Shurmur's coaching staff.

Cromwell was named a senior offensive assistant. He replaces Keith Gilbertson, who has retired, according to a club source.

Cromwell joined the Rams in 2010, Shurmur's last season in St. Louis as Rams offensive coordinator. Cromwell also has extensive experience working under Mike Holmgren in Seattle and Green Bay.

Another connection is that Cromwell worked as Mike Sherman's offensive coordinator at Texas A&M for two years prior to joining the Rams. Sherman is a presumed candidate to be Browns offensive coordinator, but is also a candidate for the vacant head coach position with Tampa Bay.

Thanks. Interesting pickup. Our WRs need all the help they can get.

I'm old enough to have appreciated Cromwell when he played. I liked him.

It's interesting an old safety as a receivers coach; "know thy enemy" kind of a thing. Any thoughts on that?

just another holmgren crony

Actually he is a Shurmur crony (in addition to being a Holmgren crony). I'd hire people I know too.

I remember him as a player. He was a great safety, but he would also block punts, return kicks, hold for field goals and I believe he even came in as a quarterback and ran the option one game when the Rams had too many injuries.

Shurmur probably had to wait until the Rams staff was fired to get him. I'm glad he is getting the people he wants,l nothing wrong with that.

Zombo

He coached for Holmgren in GB and SEA too, Z.

Cool ... Holmgren crony too ... the more the merrier ... if you commit to a system you bring guys that run the system best.

GB and Seattle went to the Super Bowl, right?

Zombo

Makes me wonder if Sherman dosent land the TB job is he more than likely the OC?? Also if we do get Sherman does that make Tannehill a more likely pick for us???

I would think that if Sherman comes here that it would certainly increase the likelihood of Tannehill coming here.

1979 Rams defense. Some interesting names....including finally Nolan Cromwell. Perhaps an underrated defense. Those Rams did win 7 consecutive division titles...which I think is still the record post 1970 merger (or perhaps even of all time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Hz6BQ3mTQ&feature=related

He was one of my favorite players. Great athlete, always had to worry about where he was.

Zombo

commit to giving your friends jobs. st. louis has put up some of the worse offensive numbers in the past under these schmucks.

not saying that one day that they might not be good, but it's great that the team you root for has to be their building block for on-the-job training.

commit to giving your friends jobs. st. louis has put up some of the worse offensive numbers in the past under these schmucks.

not saying that one day that they might not be good, but it's great that the team you root for has to be their building block for on-the-job training.

Cromwell was WR coach on two of Holmgren's SB teams ... on-the-job training?

Zombo

so he's progressed since then i see. he's that good that no one has thought to promote him.

Damn, you sure are cranky today. Don't you want a coach well-versed in the WCO to teach the WCO to our offensive plyers?

Would rather they go for some new up-and-comer who doesn't know the offense to teach the offense?

Zombo

where did i say i was talking about holmgren as a coach??

here's a great quote i found about mike holmgren's tenure as their GM:

Holmgren's tenure as Seahawks GM was very forgettable. Maybe he could point to the flawed relationship between himself and Whitsitt during his years as GM. Whatever the reason, he was removed from his GM position because he did not get the job done during the four years he had his shot. No doubt that another team will give him the reigns of an organization again. I seriously doubt that the outcome will be any different than his time as GM with the Seahawks. Mike Holmgren's over-loyalty to certain coaches and players, his inability to properly evaluate talent, and his stubbornness will lead - in my estimation - to another failed GM tenure.

not for nothing if he doesn't learn how to bend a little bit here and there with this WCO and his loyalty to it, maybe adapt here and there.....i see a lot of what i bolded becoming true. as a matter of fact it's pretty dead on so far except of course now he's a team president. ughh.

where did i say i was talking about holmgren as a coach??

here's a great quote i found about mike holmgren's tenure as their GM:

Holmgren's tenure as Seahawks GM was very forgettable. Maybe he could point to the flawed relationship between himself and Whitsitt during his years as GM. Whatever the reason, he was removed from his GM position because he did not get the job done during the four years he had his shot. No doubt that another team will give him the reigns of an organization again. I seriously doubt that the outcome will be any different than his time as GM with the Seahawks. Mike Holmgren's over-loyalty to certain coaches and players, his inability to properly evaluate talent, and his stubbornness will lead - in my estimation - to another failed GM tenure.

not for nothing if he doesn't learn how to bend a little bit here and there with this WCO and his loyalty to it, maybe adapt here and there.....i see a lot of what i bolded becoming true. as a matter of fact it's pretty dead on so far except of course now he's a team president. ughh.

The key is that he is the team Prez, not the GM. The biggest job of a GM, and the biggest area of success or failure....is in talent evaluation. Thankfully, we have someone else here doing that whom I believe to be very competent at that (more competent than Holmgren) in Heckert.

But, yes, clearly he is still loyal to people. Time will tell eventually if that is a good or a bad thing.

The key is that he is the team Prez, not the GM. The biggest job of a GM, and the biggest area of success or failure....is in talent evaluation. Thankfully, we have someone else here doing that whom I believe to be very competent at that (more competent than Holmgren) in Heckert.

But, yes, clearly he is still loyal to people. Time will tell eventually if that is a good or a bad thing.

Thats what i was going to say Gip, if it werent for Heckert i believe we would be in serious trouble..He is the only one i truly have any faith in

I don't know if he's a good coach or not, but I assume he brings extreme athletic competitiveness to anyone he coaches simply because as a player he was the absolute epitome of a hard hitting fearless player. One of my all time favorite players, I think he's a positive on your staff.

I don't know if he's a good coach or not, but I assume he brings extreme athletic competitiveness to anyone he coaches simply because as a player he was the absolute epitome of a hard hitting fearless player. One of my all time favorite players, I think he's a positive on your staff.

Here he is recovering a blocked punt for a TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WJEUyvLgjA

Makes me wonder if Sherman dosent land the TB job is he more than likely the OC?? Also if we do get Sherman does that make Tannehill a more likely pick for us???

I agree that this is a move to try and get Sherman here if he doesn't get the TB head coaching job. He was Sherman's OC at Texas A$M.

I would think that if Sherman comes here that it would certainly increase the likelihood of Tannehill coming here.

I will agree that it will get Tannehill some more looks, but Tannehill really started not because he was overly good, but because he was just the best they had. The final decision on any QB draft pick comes down to Holmgren and I think we only see Tannehill in a Brown's uniform if he falls to the 3rd... but he will go way before that.

Rumor has it that, Bruce Arians is on his way out in Pittsburgh, would anyone like to see him return to Cleveland ?

More importantly for them, it appears that Dick LeBeau is going to continue as DC:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/11/dick-lebeau-will-return-as-steelers-defensive-coordinator/

DC is good but, he seemed to have forgotten everything he knew about football when they lost to the Broncos. No over the top help for the corners, acting like Tebow was Barry Sanders, allowing possibly the worse QB in the NFL to torch them for over 300 yards. His arrogance or drinking the Tebow Koolaide lost that game for them. DC has to be flawless because Arians is such a horrible OC. An Arians offense is only good when Ben is having a great day and making something out of nothing. Never will you see a Steelers offense put a beat down on a defense, confuse a defense, have a defense on their heals despite the weapons they have.

Rumor has it that, Bruce Arians is on his way out in Pittsburgh, would anyone like to see him return to Cleveland ?

Yes...I thought he did well with what was available to work with.

Archived