THE BROWNS BOARD

Phony War On The Rich

Mr. T

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not.

But that is what you and your guys would say about just about any other christians who believed homo sexuality was immortal.

And it is the same opinion.

WSS

Not at all. I don't know who "you guys" are, but some people legitimately hate gays. Some people think it's okay to assault gays. T, for instance, just wrote that he would assault gay people if they kissed in front of him. "The first time some fag hits on my grandchildren or they start making out in front of them I am going to kick the fairies ass."

That's not what Tupa believes. So there's a range of anti-gay opinion. A big one.

Are you ever right about anything? I seem to be correcting you an awful lot lately.

To where? There's nowhere to go. They will have trouble finding a tax rate as low as what they're paying. If they do find a country with such a rate, they'll probably be kidnapped and held for ransom because there is no stability in such regions.

Still today we have more to offer over any other country. Let us hope that a few pinheads in Washington don't screw it up with this class warfare scheme that Obama is using to try and get re-elected.

So you want to talk about programs that will lift the poor and un educated above their station in life.

I don't necessarily disagree on that.

Maybe you can tell me a few other reasons that the implementation might be too costly.

( Rather than to just repeat your opposition to me stating the most obvious)

WSS

BTW

I just saw the secretary (I assume of education) on Morning Joe.

(not O Reilly)

He was beating the drum for higher bonuses AND higher base pay to "attract the best and brightest."

He refused to be nailed down (even by the softball panel) to linking those bonuses to performance.

BTW those raises should not only go to teacjhers but administrators as well.

WSS

He's talking about Race To The Top, no? That already has performance standards for teachers and administrators, and links funding to achievment. Exactly what you're talking about.

Not quite sure as I came in partway through the segment.

At that point he was talking about raises in base salary and bonuses for teachers and administrators.

And didn't seem to want to link it to preformance.

I do understand why but I don't buy the idea that you can afford to buy great educators.

It's a specific talent.

WSS

You don't buy the idea that lots of potentially great teachers choose other career paths because teaching doesn't pay a whole lot? That seems pretty uncontroversial.

But yes, the Obama administration's signature education initiative links teacher and administrator funding to achievement and innovation and results. The question is always how you measure those things. It's often hard to quantify.

You don't buy the idea that lots of potentially great teachers choose other career paths because teaching doesn't pay a whole lot? That seems pretty uncontroversial.

Not at all.

It's not a measurable test that makes a good teacher, it's a talent for it.

And padding the already large salaries will only attract more chaff.

Hey all ya gotta do is take tests and measurements with a C.........

I don't think a truly committed teacher will bail for a sales job for another 10%.

WSS

I don't think what you're saying is true, but that's fine. If you look at who goes into teaching, it's often not the most skilled or educated people, especially in the non-STEM subjects. The skilled can create more value for themselves elsewhere in the economy. It's not about retaining teachers who want to stay teachers anyway. Sometimes it may be, but this is more about attracting other skilled potential teachers to the profession.

Why would you think the teaching profession is somehow immune to the market? It isn't.

Sure, there are people who go into teaching because they love teaching and have a talent for it. That's not everyone who goes into teaching.

You also think teachers are already making "large salaries." You and I aren't going to agree on this either. I also don't agree with your idea that the key to getting better teachers is to pay them less so you'll only be left with the really dedicated ones. That's seems entirely backward to me.

In the end, in the era of shrinking state budgets, there's no money for any of this stuff anyway. Schools are only cutting budgets these days.

Thank God we are allowed to be grumpy grandpas. Have you ever thought that just maybe some of the older guys have watched over the years how that liberilism has destroyed liberties and wealth in this country?

Wealth is destroyed in this country? Then why do the wealthiest 1% control the majority of the wealth? Why are the wealthy increasing their wealth and enlarging the gap between the wealthy and the poor? How wealthy do you want some of these people to be?

And if we are going to bemoan the fact that other countries are surging ahead of us in the education field tell me why that might be?

WSS

which countries? those that do not require high school education for everyone? So the best students go and the bad students go on and do something else. Of course they will have higher scores. Compare our universities to any other in the world and get back to me.

But yes, the Obama administration's signature education initiative links teacher and administrator funding to achievement and innovation and results. The question is always how you measure those things. It's often hard to quantify. Heck

and yet, equating funding connected to achievement ...etc....measuring... etc...

was a hideous scandal when Bush and Kennedy got NCLB passed.

Riiiiiight.

But since it's Obamao, with a "signature ed initiative" , why, then it's a good thing.

But if soldiers die on the battlefield fighting terrorism under Bush... well, each one of them is a tragic loss.

But if " "" Obamao... well, who cares.

With libs, emotions change with the opportunity... and that is why they reverse their feelings - the political expediency changes direction.

which countries? those that do not require high school education for everyone? So the best students go and the bad students go on and do something else. Of course they will have higher scores. Compare our universities to any other in the world and get back to me.

All I hear is people complaining the japanese to chinese the indians et cetera et cetera are far surpassing americans when it comes to educating their children. Now if you believe that's not true then fine.

I'm not talking about somalia.

WSS

Our public education system sucks balls.

It is being held up by students like I was in high school. Students that will work hard and care about their tests scores regardless of the teacher.

I think as of last year 1/3 of the 7th or 8th grade class where I live was failing a subject... that's ridiculous. Combined this with less emphasis on math and science and we are fucked.

I think conservatives get too caught up in thinking America is the crown jewel of countries. We are the best and we always will be. That we are special and immune to anything thatmight happen to the rest of the world.

We are another country guys... a very good one, yeah... but come on

Archived