THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur To Still Call Plays.... Ugh

BrownsKidd

why b ring in an OC who only has 1 year experience calling plays?

because shurmur needs someone in the booth the give perspective. it takes 2 of these idiots to do one persons job.

You may be right.

To borrow a thought from a friend, Shurmer said he would turn over the play calling to the right guy. So it looks like Childress is the wrong guy.

If at any point in the season the team goes 3 games under .500, Shurmer or Heckert should be fired. At least 1 of them is clearly lacking.

This the part of the sport where I just sit back and say "well, we'll see if this works". These guys know a hell of a lot more about running an offense than I would even begin to know.

Obviously, Shurmur believes in his playbook, which is good, but if it fails again it is his neck on the line. I kinda like that actually. His offense, his accountability. We got him some nice help, all his WC cronies and contemporaries. It's his show ... I hope he's got enough talent. They should start by bringing back Hillis, drafting Griffin, filling in right tackle and bringing in a serious upgrade to Massaquoi. But that's just my opinion. A rookie QB should buy Shurmer another year, don't want to yank the rug on him with a whole new system after one year.

Zombo

I figure that Shurmur will continue to call the plays, for a while, because he knows his personel and the new OC doesn't, how his players fit

into the system they have in place..

He knows how his players match up one on one with other players, what his players can do.

When that is on the same page, he'll give the play calling away. It will take the new OC a little while. My best guess.

I suspect that many if not most plays will be called "by committee", i.e. Shurmur and Childress will have a ton of debates about what play to call next.

Expect a slew of delay of game penalties.

Yeah I was worrying about that too. But remember almost all of us have really no knowledge of how much game planning throughout the week prepares the play caller on Sunday, Childress will help there. And we really dont know the details on how plays are called on game day either. It works for 31 other teams, Im sure theyll figure it out. Its only going to improve. and remember, last year was Shurmurs first year on the job, I think we need to give the guy a break, he didnt even have an offseason or an O-coordinator (maybe his fault but irrelevant now..)

He is still learning and him and Childress seem to have good chemistry. Lets be honest, we arent making the playoffs this year anyway, let them work through their mistakes and grow into the role.

Yeah I was worrying about that too. But remember almost all of us have really no knowledge of how much game planning throughout the week prepares the play caller on Sunday, Childress will help there. And we really dont know the details on how plays are called on game day either. It works for 31 other teams, Im sure theyll figure it out. Its only going to improve. and remember, last year was Shurmurs first year on the job, I think we need to give the guy a break, he didnt even have an offseason or an O-coordinator (maybe his fault but irrelevant now..)

He is still learning and him and Childress seem to have good chemistry. Lets be honest, we arent making the playoffs this year anyway, let them work through their mistakes and grow into the role.

Well, Shurmur called the plays when he was OC in St Louis, and Rams fans were glad to see him go. If he hasn't learned how to do a better job in 3 seasons, it's time to get rid of him and find someone who can.

Well, Shurmur called the plays when he was OC in St Louis, and Rams fans were glad to see him go. If he hasn't learned how to do a better job in 3 seasons, it's time to get rid of him and find someone who can.

From what I have heard Rams fans were sad to see him go. There offense has did horrible last season compared to his second year there.

Shurmur deciding to call the plays again next season is not really unexpected while chilly gets a grip, i just hope squirmur has more to offer than the dull and uncreative -3 yard vanilla dump first offense we had to watch last year..

Either way having another ex-head coach like chilly around certainly cant hurt especially if shurmur doesnt offensively grow a pair and loses his job..

As far as ram fans go there was/is much mixed feelings about squirmy, we were forewarned by some rams fans that shurmur is not very offensive minded nor is he creative and last year imho we got to see this for ourselves, however last year with the lockout on top of 2 new system installations with only 3 weeks to prepare was a newbie head coaches nightmare so im in an somewhat optimistic wait and see mode..

The rams nor bradford fared very well without squirmy and the vikings tanked without chilly so who knows?

All we can do is hope coach can deliver offensively while jauron bolsters the defense..

Shurmur deciding to call the plays again next season is not really unexpected while chilly gets a grip, i just hope squirmur has more to offer than the dull and uncreative -3 yard vanilla dump first offense we had to watch last year..

Either way having another ex-head coach like chilly around certainly cant hurt especially if shurmur doesnt offensively grow a pair and loses his job..

As far as ram fans go there was/is much mixed feelings about squirmy, we were forewarned by some rams fans that shurmur is not very offensive minded nor is he creative and last year imho we got to see this for ourselves, however last year with the lockout on top of 2 new system installations with only 3 weeks to prepare was a newbie head coaches nightmare so im in an somewhat optimistic wait and see mode..

The rams nor bradford fared very well without squirmy and the vikings tanked without chilly so who knows?

All we can do is hope coach can deliver offensively while jauron bolsters the defense..

One thing I think people forget about is that we went into the season with a pretty dumbed down version of shurmers offense due to there not being an offseason to implement the system and if I remember correctly, about a 3rd into the season he took a bunch more plays out of the playbook because guys were struggling with the offense. Im hoping to see a big improvement with the O this year regardless who the personell is.

does any body get the feeling that it is more about Pat Shurmur than the Browns? He was made the HC without any experience. He sucked as a HC and his playcalling was bad. So they bring in an OC to help give him better perspective, but they do not take the playcalling away, but let him learn. It is almost as if the management is thinking - I dont care how many years it will take for Pat to succeed and how many failed seasons we take but we will wait till he learns and becomes better.

does any body get the feeling that it is more about Pat Shurmur than the Browns? He was made the HC without any experience. He sucked as a HC and his playcalling was bad. So they bring in an OC to help give him better perspective, but they do not take the playcalling away, but let him learn. It is almost as if the management is thinking - I dont care how many years it will take for Pat to succeed and how many failed seasons we take but we will wait till he learns and becomes better.

Everything to them is "all about the process". If I hear the MFers in the Browns front office and coaching staff talk about "the process" one more time I think I will explode.

The "process" is just their method of getting paid a lot of money for no results while stringing along the owner and the fans and media.

Archived