THE BROWNS BOARD

The Official Bring Back Kamerion Wimbley Thread

WJ Brownfan

Raiders will cut Wimbley if he doesn’t take pay cut

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2012, 11:54 AM EST

Sanchez is sacked during the second half of their NFL football game in Oakland Reuters

We passed along a report two weeks ago that Kamerion Wimbley would not be interested in taking a pay cut to stay with the Raiders.

We now pass along a report from NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora that the Raiders will cut Wimbley unless he takes a pay cut.

Using the transitive property, Wimbley is going to hit the open market. Or someone is lying.

It’s not a shocking decision because the Raiders have so much salary cap space to clear. Then again, they have to pay Wimbley $6.5 million guaranteed whether he is on the roster or not. Wimbley is due $11 million total, so the Raiders are essentially choosing not to keep Wimbley for an additional $4.5 million.

Can Wimbley get that money elsewhere? With so few pass rushers on the market, we bet he can. His agent appears to agree.

It’s worth remembering once again: Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie took over an almost impossible situation. The franchise has to suffer some short-term pain in order to get healthy down the road.

The Browns are in need of a DE and, if he is cut, Wimbley would be a perfect fit...fast, experienced.

They wouldnt need to draft that position and could focus on OL, OLB and WR primarily.

Kamerion is still only 28....

Raiders will cut Wimbley if he doesn’t take pay cut

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2012, 11:54 AM EST

Sanchez is sacked during the second half of their NFL football game in Oakland Reuters

We passed along a report two weeks ago that Kamerion Wimbley would not be interested in taking a pay cut to stay with the Raiders.

We now pass along a report from NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora that the Raiders will cut Wimbley unless he takes a pay cut.

Using the transitive property, Wimbley is going to hit the open market. Or someone is lying.

It’s not a shocking decision because the Raiders have so much salary cap space to clear. Then again, they have to pay Wimbley $6.5 million guaranteed whether he is on the roster or not. Wimbley is due $11 million total, so the Raiders are essentially choosing not to keep Wimbley for an additional $4.5 million.

Can Wimbley get that money elsewhere? With so few pass rushers on the market, we bet he can. His agent appears to agree.

It’s worth remembering once again: Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie took over an almost impossible situation. The franchise has to suffer some short-term pain in order to get healthy down the road.

The Browns are in need of a DE and, if he is cut, Wimbley would be a perfect fit...fast, experienced.

They wouldnt need to draft that position and could focus on OL, OLB and WR primarily.

Kamerion is still only 28....

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we shipped this guy out because he was essentially a bust, wasn't he? What did we get for him? From what I recall of his play while here he should be happy with the veteran minimum. Has he improved that much from his poor performance while here?

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, we shipped this guy out because he was essentially a bust, wasn't he? What did we get for him? From what I recall of his play while here he should be happy with the veteran minimum. Has he improved that much from his poor performance while here?

Id def take a look at him. He was misused here as he never made the transition to the 3-4 OLB.. Not sure if he played more 4-3 DE or OLB in Oakland but put up decent numbers. I guarantee hes better than Mitchell, and he never had bad things to say about Cleveland if I remember right.. A little bit undersized for a 4-3 DE but Heckert likes undersized DEs...

yes, bringing back guys we let go when we sucked is a sure fire way to get better. :rolleyes:

We didnt "let him go", he was traded for a 3rd round draft pick which is pretty significant with the way the NFL values draft picks. But the Raiders are known for over paying... Im just saying worth a look. He played out of position when he was with us in the 3-4

Instead of this tool, please focus on actual good players who are free agents.

Here's two: Stephen Tulloch and Kendall Langford.

Calais Campbell, the DE/DT of the Cardinals, has been franchised.. Langford is (arguably) our best option at fixing the RDE spot with a FA. And he's 26.

Instead of this tool, please focus on actual good players who are free agents.

Here's two: Stephen Tulloch and Kendall Langford.

Calais Campbell, the DE/DT of the Cardinals, has been franchised.. Langford is (arguably) our best option at fixing the RDE spot with a FA. And he's 26.

The same Kendall Langford who had zero sacks in 16 games played last year for Miami? I dont know the guy, but did he not get playing time or was it that he was a DE in a 3-4?

• 2 weeks later...

This was brought up today and Kams agent said he was confused why we traded Kam 2 years ago for the 3rd round pick (Who turned out to be Colt Mccoy) discussion is underway.

I can't even believe that there might be serious credit to this.

Defensive end: Kamerion Wimbleywas rumored to become a salary cap casualty of the Raiders because of an unwieldy contract. If so, the former Browns No. 1 draft pick fits ideally as a 4-3 defensive end after playing out of position as a 3-4 outside linebacker for four seasons in his previous Cleveland career. He was traded by Heckert in 2010 for a third-round draft pick which turned out to be Colt McCoy. Wimbley’s pricetag will be huge, and that was what hastened his trade two years ago.

This was brought up today and Kams agent said he was confused why we traded Kam 2 years ago for the 3rd round pick (Who turned out to be Colt Mccoy) discussion is underway.

I can't even believe that there might be serious credit to this.

Defensive end: Kamerion Wimbleywas rumored to become a salary cap casualty of the Raiders because of an unwieldy contract. If so, the former Browns No. 1 draft pick fits ideally as a 4-3 defensive end after playing out of position as a 3-4 outside linebacker for four seasons in his previous Cleveland career. He was traded by Heckert in 2010 for a third-round draft pick which turned out to be Colt McCoy. Wimbley’s pricetag will be huge, and that was what hastened his trade two years ago.

Maybe Wimbley is better suited to the 4-3. That is certainly possible. He seems like one of those marginal free agents that H&H may be interested in.

Maybe Wimbley is better suited to the 4-3. That is certainly possible. He seems like one of those marginal free agents that H&H may be interested in.

There is no doubt he is better suited for the 4-3 and he is better than marginal.

He has played very well for the Raiders.

We can bring him back now that we have the 4-3 and start him and still keep the draft pick we traded him for (McCoy).

Zombo

There is no doubt he is better suited for the 4-3 and he is better than marginal.

He has played very well for the Raiders.

We can bring him back now that we have the 4-3 and start him and still keep the draft pick we traded him for (McCoy).

Zombo

I hear they got Frosty Rucker instead.

I hear they got Frosty Rucker instead.

Wimbley is what he a one dimensional player as I sfated about three years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that means overpay and bring him back so we can be 5-11 again

Wimbley is a real 4-3 lb and imo would sure look good taking over scott "taco bell" fajitas spot, kam just like dqj was a victim of being brought into an ill coached 3-4 system he never adjusted to because in fact he is a 4-3 olb that can also play mlb as well as de on passing downs..

I would love to see this happen but i wouldnt bet on it..

Getting rid of kam never made sense to me other than he did not fit into the 3-4 well..

Archived