THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Not Willing To Trade #22

Harry Buffalo

Cleveland Browns aren't willing to give Rams their No. 22 at this point

Published: Sunday, March 04, 2012, 9:24 AM Updated: Sunday, March 04, 2012, 10:01 AM

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

Will the Browns be willing to give up their No. 22 pick to move up to draft RG3?

CLEVELAND -- The Browns aren't willing to surrender their No. 22 pick at this point as part of a trade package to move up to No. 2 with the Rams to draft Robert Griffin III, league sources told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The paper reported that Rams would like to have an agreement in principle before the big-name free agent quarterbacks such as Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn hit the market Mar. 13. A trade can't be executed until that day.

And although the Browns (No.4) and Redskins (No. 6) are still considered the frontruners, the holdup with the Browns is that they're unwilling to part with their second first-round pick along with the No. 4 overall, the sources said. The Browns acquired the No. 22 in last year's blockbuster draft day trade with the Falcons.

The Browns, as a matter of club policy, do not comment on trades before they happen.

The Post-Dispatch reported that in addition to the Browns being unwilling to give up the No. 22 right now:

• Washington (No. 6): The Redskins would give up their No. 6 this year and their first-rounder next year, but aren’t willing to surrender their second-rounder this year, which could make it a deal-breaker.

• Miami (No. 8): The Dolphins aren't eager to deal with the Rams after losing Jeff Fisher to them in the head coach sweepstakes. Thomas said this one is "dead in the water.''

• Seattle (No. 12): The Rams don't want to ship RG3 to a division rival, which kills this option. Same for Arizona, which picks 13th.

Browns coach Pat Shurmur said at the Greater Cleveland Auto Show Thursday night that the Browns have some flexibility with their picks and that anything is possible.

"We'll approach it from a position of strength,'' he said.

But Shurmur also spoke highly of Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who'll be on their radar if they decide not to spend multiple high picks on RG3.

© 2012 cleveland.com. All rights reserved.

-----------------------------------------------------

As it points out the Browns are not willing to trade their #22 pick this year. What I get away from this article however is that the Rams want to have a trade in place before all the FA QB's start having contact with other teams. Obviously they want this to keep the value of their pick higher. The problem with this is that no team should ever trade picks this early. At the soonest teams should only trade picks the day or two before the draft. I think any team who trades with the Rams now, before even seeing RGIII at his pro day and getting to invite him for private workouts, is in fact stupid.

I also don't see why we wouldn't trade our #22 this season if it could keep us from trading our 1st next season.

I would rather trade are extra first this year then a first next year, reading this just makes me hope we can get the deal done with are 2nd this year, all in all if its gonna cost the 22 I do it but it never hurts to lowball the sons of bitches

It would be ideal to keep the #22 pick. I just don't know how realistic it is. The Rams are going to want, and get, a lot for spot that will probably draft RGIII. Like someone said above, if trading this years second first pick ensures we have a first rounder next year then I say we do it. At the same time, maybe we bundle our #4 pick with our second round pick this year and next year to ensure we have the #22 pick this year and our first rounder next.

Well since they point out that it is a two horse race, the price gets driven down. That is why they are trying to get a trade drawn up in principle so that as soon as FA opens and trading is allowed the trade can go through. By getting the deal done as soon as possible it keeps the price high. If Washington grabs Manning then the pick is realistically only worth value at best and could actually be worth less than value since it's obvious that the Rams don't really covet one of the top 3 players available at that point more than the other at this point. If we end up being the only team left in the race for RGIII then the only way the Rams would be able to get value for the spot is if they pull a Chargers and actually draft RGIII and hope we are willing to trade for him.

I really do not see this regime going gonzo and giving to much away for a single draft pick, the only guy i see on the board that would be worth 2 or maybe even 3 first round picks is andrew luck and indy has no plans of putting him on the market however imho neither him or RG3 really fit into what the browns currently want to do...

I am glad to see the regime approach the draft looking at things from a strong position without giving in to early because whichever way we go we are in a position to come out way ahead if heckert plays everything right..

I really do not see this regime going gonzo and giving to much away for a single draft pick, the only guy i see on the board that would be worth 2 or maybe even 3 first round picks is andrew luck and indy has no plans of putting him on the market however imho neither him or RG3 really fit into what the browns currently want to do...

I am glad to see the regime approach the draft looking at things from a strong position without giving in to early because whichever way we go we are in a position to come out way ahead if heckert plays everything right..

Browns are not in a position of strength as much as you think. If the Browns don't get RGIII, Flynn will be their only option as a possible upgrade over McCoy and that's not a given. All these tea-leaves about the Browns gushing over Tannehill are puzzling. Even without a RGIII trade up, they have no chance to get Tannehill at #22 and they won't pick him at #4... so why keep talking about him?

How in the hell do Luck and RGIII not fit into what the Browns want to do?

Browns are not in a position of strength as much as you think. If the Browns don't get RGIII, Flynn will be their only option as a possible upgrade over McCoy and that's not a given. All these tea-leaves about the Browns gushing over Tannehill are puzzling. Even without a RGIII trade up, they have no chance to get Tannehill at #22 and they won't pick him at #4... so why keep talking about him?

Just cause teams premature edraftulated on QB's last year doesn't mean it will happen this year. Tannehill could easily fall to the 2nd round.

I dont see Tannehill lasting to the 22nd pick ethier, i think if Miami dosent land Flynn they will take him at 8..Im sure Sherman would lobby on puttin him into the West Coast while they start Matt Moore for a little while...Also he wont probaly get past KC,Seattle and all those other teams who camt make a play for Griffin....I just checked alot of Mocks they have him going to Washington if they cant land RG3..

The Redskins don't have another first round pick this year do they? So, the best Washington can do is their 6th in 2012, and 1st rounder in 2013 correct? Meaning we could do the same, but still have an advantage. 4th is better than the 6th, and the 2013 picks would be considered pretty equal. In all honesty if I'm St. Louis I'd trade with Cleveland.The Browns will most likely be a top5 pick again next year. Washington could be, but not as likely. I would bet they'd pick 10-15 next year in the 1st. The you have to look at next year's draft. Is there anyone as talented as RG3? I don't think so.

If we get Tannehill would you change your name to Tannehill to da C-L-E? Or would you go root for whatever team ends up with RGIII?

Also are you on a Skins board as RGII to da W-A-S or a phins board as RGIII to da M-I-A??

Just curious.

or better yet find out the browns draft someone else and say in a press conference later that they never wanted him, they wanted claiborne. would you hang yourself in you closet because of all the words typed the stress involved and the utter heartbreak?

If we get Tannehill would you change your name to Tannehill to da C-L-E? Or would you go root for whatever team ends up with RGIII?

Also are you on a Skins board as RGII to da W-A-S or a phins board as RGIII to da M-I-A??

Just curious.

RGIII to da B-n-G (Burgundy and Gold) ;)

We are in the catbird seat. Chilax.

If the PD announced that we already DID commit to spend our #22 to move up ... THEN I would be concerned.

Zombo

--I think these guys know what they are doing.

What makes you think they wouldnt be willing to move up from 22 to pick tannehill?? With that being said, I personally dont see it happening. I dont think Heckert would want to go through another B.Q. Situation. Still doesnt mean it cant or wont happen.

What makes you think they wouldnt be willing to move up from 22 to pick tannehill?? With that being said, I personally dont see it happening. I dont think Heckert would want to go through another B.Q. Situation. Still doesnt mean it cant or wont happen.

Maybe not up from 22, but down from 4. Browns would get a decent bounty for that pick.

Maybe not up from 22, but down from 4. Browns would get a decent bounty for that pick.

I could see them going either way, I feel like the browns finally have a strategy that will keep us growing. Only time will tell.

So they'd be willing to trade up from #22 for Tannehill but wouldn't trade up from #4 to get RGIII????

You talk about having guts... lol

Finally the owners are starting to play hardball with the rams...love it. I'm hoping the rams cave in and just let the pick slide and they just get Kalil knowing they may lose out on everything.

^+1. There's no rush to get a deal done before the respective Pro Days, FA, and private workout\interviews, as much as the Rams would like everyone to believe. They're just trolling for suckers right now, seeing if anyone will bite. H&H will likely tell the Rams no way we're making you an offer until we've analyzed RGIII inside out. Redskins will likely say the same, any offer from another team would probably be inferior, unless said team tosses around multiple first round picks, and a Pro Bowl caliber player.

And if as was suggested, the Rams draft Griffin and hold him hostage, we take Blackmon and hold him hostage. We'll have plenty of time until the 22nd pick to see who blinks first. I doubt St Louis would want to get stuck with RGIII and Bradford. :)

The Redskins don't have another first round pick this year do they? So, the best Washington can do is their 6th in 2012, and 1st rounder in 2013 correct? Meaning we could do the same, but still have an advantage. 4th is better than the 6th, and the 2013 picks would be considered pretty equal. In all honesty if I'm St. Louis I'd trade with Cleveland.The Browns will most likely be a top5 pick again next year. Washington could be, but not as likely. I would bet they'd pick 10-15 next year in the 1st. The you have to look at next year's draft. Is there anyone as talented as RG3? I don't think so.

What the Browns are saying is our #4 & 37 this year is better than the Redskins #6 & 39 or a first round pick next year. (which is the best Washington can do, unless they throw in a third) The 'Skins supposedly said they're not even dealing this years second rounder, much less a third on top of it.

So the Browns #22 is the "Ace in the hole", don't play it unless you have to. It's like the way you used to negotiate buying a car. The dealer is going to start as high as he possibly can, and you're going to start as low as you realistically think you have a shot at closing the deal. We have until April 25th to come up with our last, best offer. The Rams certainly aren't going to want to short change themselves without seeing what Cleveland is willing to do.

I've been banging this drum for weeks- if the Rams really want Blackmon or Kalil, they have to deal with us, because if they don't- they won't get either. Or, they can just draft one of them at #2, then the rest is easy (and cheaper by far).

What the Browns are saying is our #4 & 37 this year is better than the Redskins #6 & 39 or a first round pick next year. (which is the best Washington can do, unless they throw in a third) The 'Skins supposedly said they're not even dealing this years second rounder, much less a third on top of it.

We've got no problem trading our thirds and beyond.

Shanahan wants to keep the second because then he can trade back from 6 and recoup those picks.

Meaning that if he succeeds in keeping our seconds this year and next, the only pick we'll really "lose" is our first next year.

Maybe it works out we don't want RGIII and really want Tannehill. We call you up and say sit tight, we will trade the #4 to the skins. I am not sure what would be fair compensation for swapping two spots...either your 2nd or 3rd this year.

Call it a done deal. Skins get RGIII, we get Tannehill at #6 and pick up another solid draft choice.

I am kind of liking that idea.

Actually, no matter how it works out, I think we trade down out of #4 for more picks. Someone is really going to want Blackmon, and I don't think that someone is us.

Maybe it works out we don't want RGIII and really want Tannehill. We call you up and say sit tight, we will trade the #4 to the skins. I am not sure what would be fair compensation for swapping two spots...either your 2nd or 3rd this year.

Call it a done deal. Skins get RGIII, we get Tannehill at #6 and pick up another solid draft choice.

I am kind of liking that idea.

That would put a real interesting dynamic on it. I would still be nervous someone would try to jump us for the two, but it's definitely worth exploring. Going just by the chart, it's a 200 point difference, so that would be our third rounder.

Archived