THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Re-Sign Patterson

WJ Brownfan

Browns re-sign cornerback Patterson for three years, $16 million

Posted by Evan Silva on March 15, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT

Bengals' Tate is tackled by Browns' Patterson in the first half of their NFL football game at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati Reuters

Florio is reporting that the Browns have re-signed cornerback Dimitri Patterson to a three-year, $16 million contract.

The deal guarantees Patterson $6 million.

Patterson, 29 in June, operated as the Browns’ nickel corner last season, covering the slot on passing downs. Joe Haden and Sheldon Brown were the outside cornerbacks, though Brown may move to safety this year depending on the team’s acquisitions in the draft and rest of free agency.

I'm all for the Browns moving Brown to safety.

And depending on what they think of Skrine, they may spend picks elsewhere this year...like OL LB WR QB RB

Browns re-sign cornerback Patterson for three years, $16 million

Posted by Evan Silva on March 15, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT

Bengals' Tate is tackled by Browns' Patterson in the first half of their NFL football game at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati Reuters

Florio is reporting that the Browns have re-signed cornerback Dimitri Patterson to a three-year, $16 million contract.

The deal guarantees Patterson $6 million.

Patterson, 29 in June, operated as the Browns’ nickel corner last season, covering the slot on passing downs. Joe Haden and Sheldon Brown were the outside cornerbacks, though Brown may move to safety this year depending on the team’s acquisitions in the draft and rest of free agency.

I don't see Patterson filling our CB hole. As mentioned he was a nickel corner. We need a starting shutdown corner.

Needed to re-sign him... he deserved it

Haden, Brown, Patterson, Skrine

Don't see us drafting Clayborne now. Bigger need is at FS, unless we can get Adams back

Unless, they are actually going to move Brown to FS (been hearing it for 3 yrs now) then another CB will be needed, but not at #4 overall

I don't see Patterson filling our CB hole. As mentioned he was a nickel corner. We need a starting shutdown corner.

Great news- he played well last year.

We have Joe Haden.

Sign another DB and Let Patterson, Skrine and a Free agent compete for the #2 Corner. Move Brown to FS.

Just curious... is there something about TJ Ward that I am missing?... no one is listing him as a starter on here...

Did he have a career ending injury or something?

It's because we are talking about CB not safety. When people state we need a starting safety, they mean opposite of TJ Ward, it's kind of implied that he is our starter when healthy.

we already have one. 2 is not needed.

Of course 2 are needed. You need 3-4. Right now I see the Browns having 1 quality starting CB, and 3 backups in Brown, Skrine, Patterson. For now one of those backups will start. That doesn't mean they should. They simply must by necessity.

Brown is on his way down and out.

Patterson is backup material.

Only the young Skrine may step up to fill the bill.

But if they took Claiborne it would surprise....or disappoint me.

Of course 2 are needed. You need 3-4. Right now I see the Browns having 1 quality starting CB, and 3 backups in Brown, Skrine, Patterson. For now one of those backups will start. That doesn't mean they should. They simply must by necessity.

Brown is on his way down and out.

Patterson is backup material.

Only the young Skrine may step up to fill the bill.

But if they took Claiborne it would surprise....or disappoint me.

I think pattersons gonna suprise alot of people this year. From what i seen out of him last year dude was really solid and is only gonna get better with more time on the field

Just like signing Gocong to that contract. They're both his guys from Philly.

He's going to put all his stock on his players and its going to bite him in the ass like it did Mangini.

Patterson was OK. If you think he deserves this contract and amount, you need your head examined.

The guy has been around, he's 29. He doesn't need "more time on the field".

He's now an overpaid backup.

I'm with you on Gocong.

Patterson played well last season- held his own (as did most of our secondary when are pass rush was very suspect) while getting thrown at quite a bit. There was one game where he defended two passes (I think Miami game) to save the victory. He had 4 INTs the year before as a part time starter. He's put together two good seasons- and he's only guarenteed 6 million and its a three year contract. What do you people want? Do you want to pay Eric Wright this money to come back here?

I still say add another Corner through Free agency and have that guy compete with Patterson and Skrine. Winner gets the #2 spot losers go Nickle and Dime corner.

Of course 2 are needed.

nah...you dont need 2 starting shutdown corners. you need one....the other guys certainly need to be talented, but not lock down guys. its not like we give up alot of points as is....

we just cant score. another top 10 corner would do nothing for the bottom line. if i remember right, philly gave up way more passing yards than we did.

Just like signing Gocong to that contract. They're both his guys from Philly.

He's going to put all his stock on his players and its going to bite him in the ass like it did Mangini.

Patterson was OK. If you think he deserves this contract and amount, you need your head examined.

The guy has been around, he's 29. He doesn't need "more time on the field".

He's now an overpaid backup.

6 mil guaranteed. you think thats overpaying?

really....explain to me where we're gonna find pro-bowlers that play for league minimum. cause it seems many are asking for things not based in reality. i suppose you think vjax at 36 mil guaranteed is a great deal? or how about eric wrights 15 mil guaranteed?

since when is a nickel back a backup? do you even understand this game? who uses a base defense against 3 and 4 wides? i dont have time to dig right now, but i can tell you that philly used 3 wide formation 51% of their plays, 4-5 wide another 12%. 2 wide outs 34%....so if you really wanna call a guy a backup despite actually being on the field 6-70% of offensive snaps, then go ahead. i guess there's no need for slot receivers either since theyre not a starter.

He's a backup quality player.

Apparently not for a team without talent like the Browns.

If you're okay with losing, then by all means enjoy another season of the same without criticizing anything Heckert does.

By the time we fix one position at a time. Joe Thomas will be retired and we'll be on our 4th QB.

He's a backup quality player.

Apparently not for a team without talent like the Browns.

If you're okay with losing, then by all means enjoy another season of the same without criticizing anything Heckert does.

my point is this...we signed a backup quality player (according to you) to a backup position (according to you) for a backup type of contract. what exactly is your problem again?

numbers game i'd say....

obvisously, you cant bank on everyone panning out. skrine was a project and enticing because he was fast, but undersized. he's didn't play badly...made some rookie mistakes, held his own pretty well for a 5'10" guy going against receivers half a foot taller. i'd love to revisit this later....because its hard to draw anything from a rookie year.

patterson played well last year mike....certainly no superstar, but we dont need 53 superstars. no matter how insignificant these depth signings appear, these are often the most important signings. cause when that superstar goes down (and he will, this is a rough game), then the guy stepping in better be capable.

are you purporting to load up the starting lineup with high profile players and sign the other 31 guys from undrafteds for vet minimum?

what...no response to any of your misinformation? is patterson our new #1 corner?

sorry i dont get all bent looking at the forest thru the trees....if that makes me a sheep so be it. much better, i'd say, than being a perpetual whiner about not getting my way, not doing what i think is right, or doling out more money than my uneducated eyes think services are valued at.

i mean...you are afterall pining for more colt. so im not sure you dont also fit the description of someone that's "okay with losing".

so if ya wanna drop the hyperbole and perhaps discuss the merits of the signing....cool. but ive pried for some information...and you haven't given any. it just makes you seem pissed for no reason.

the signing of patterson makes no sense to me unless we draft a CB in the first 3 rounds. He was signed obviously to start or play the nickel. Of he was signed to start, this passing defense is in serious trouble, the guy was an average nickel back and good depth, nothing more. If thats the price of a DB than so be it, if hes a starter ill hate this move much like ive hated almost every move or non move they've made this season.

Just cause the guys 29 doesnt mean hes hit his ceiling, just cause hes been around for a few years doesnt mean he cant keep growing and be a productive player for us. And if i remember correctly, he held his own pretty well when he filled in for haden last year, which in turn got him more playing time, and ultimately this contract. If he builds off of the good play from last year i have no problem what so ever with him being our #2 guy this year.

Eric Wright 5yr. 37.5 Mil. Anybody want to go back to 2010?

Carr 5 yr. 50mil.- I've seen him torched over the years by Charger WRs- Is he better than Patterson? Yeah. Worth the money? No.

Patterson 3yr. 16 mil. To be a #2 or Nickle back depending on many things 1. Sheldon Brown 2. Do we sign someone else or Draft someone within the first two rounds 3. Development of Skrine. Patterson has put together 2 solid years. He's 29 (In his prime).

I'd like to find one more Patterson type DB and not invest a 50 mil. dollar salary to a #2 corner. It would be nice to go 4 deep at corner and move Brown to FS and I'd rather invest in pass rusher- Mario Williams- too late- that would improve secondary play.

now youre just being hard headed. building thru the draft does not equate to never ever signing a FA.

i wasn't aware patterson is higher on the depth chart than haden. my bad....

He's just all butt hurt that the Browns didn't actually talk to the Texan's about trading for Tate and he spent so much time writing an article about it. It's ok if you wanna cry Mike. :(

It's kind of hard to determine the order of the depth chart when preseason is still 5 months away, don't you think.

Patterson could very well be our nickel or even our fourth, depending on what we do in the draft and the progress of Skrine.

Each and every one of these arguments is completely premature and stupid.

Just cause the guys 29 doesnt mean hes hit his ceiling, just cause hes been around for a few years doesnt mean he cant keep growing and be a productive player for us. And if i remember correctly, he held his own pretty well when he filled in for haden last year, which in turn got him more playing time, and ultimately this contract. If he builds off of the good play from last year i have no problem what so ever with him being our #2 guy this year.

He didnt fill in for Haden, Skrine started when Haden was out Patterson played the nickle all season and thats all he'll ever be good for.

Archived