THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Smith For Qb?

BrownIndian

If the Titans get Manning does anyone see Holmgren wanting Hasselbeck, not saying I want him but does anyone envisage a move ?

KNR said in a news blurb the other day that Hasselbeck was an option and so was Kolb. However the Cards have paid Kolb his 7million so it looks like he is staying. Miami is working on Flynn right now. So it's either Hasselbeck, which might not be a bad idea to bring him in and help Colt out. But we shall see.

Hasselbeck creates a problem and an opportunity. If you're looking to develop a young quarterback, he's arguably the best guy in the league to have around. He's a pro's pro, very smart, and is a good teammate. He could accelerate McCoy's development substantially.

The problem? He's still in great shape physically, and there is absolutely no justification for playing McCoy if Hasselbeck's on the roster. So, while it may make McCoy a better QB, in the end it may put off your evaluation by a season or two. And, by that time, he'll need a new contract, and still have a pretty limited resume - and be 28 or 29 years old.

That said, if you're done with the Colt McCoy experiment, bring in Hasselbeck. You can get a solid season or two out of him, while you look for your QB in next year's draft. Oh, and you might actually win some games. There are a million worse options for the Browns.

-jj

Actually, Smith might be a decent guy to take over the controls until the next time we have the #4 and #22 picks with two bonafide franchise QB prospects in the draft, which I will imagine is never.

I'd take Smith, and cruise for a few years until we fall into the right prospect.

We know with the right defense and the right running game he can get you to the conference championship ... nothing wrong with that.

His career is arcing nicely.

Never been a big fan, but he's an upgrade at the most important position, so do it.

Zombo

If Flacco-esque means we are a consistent playoff team with a shot to win it all each year, then yea, I'll take Flacco-esque all day long.

I don't see Smith or Flynn as a significant upgrade over Colt. Smith had one good season. Flynn has had 2 great games. Colt had a few good games in 2010. None of them are elite. If we can get Smith or Flynn on the cheap to compete with Colt then go for it. If they want big money or a guarantee to start from day one then move on. If we're going to take a chance on an unproven or mediocre QB we might as well pick one up in the draft.

Hmmm, so RGIII to Washington, Luck to Indianapolis, Flynn to Seattle, lets say A. Smith to Miami and Manning to either SF, Denver or Tennesee. Leaves just our team with a lame duck quarterback that we wanted to replace so badly that we offered three number one picks or more to move up two spots in the draft. Im getting excited about the Hasselback era, that is for sure.

I believe that the problem with our team is that it has been run by bumbling idiots since expansion. Policy, Clark, Davis, Savage and now the great Mike Holmgren who would have been a great hire as a head coach, which is something he was good at. Instead he is president and after wasting one year with a coach he was never going to mesh with he hires Mr Deer in the headlights, Pat Shurmer who has no idea how to build a system around the players that he has, he just wants to run "his system". Throw in a clueless absentee owner and no wonder this team is fucked. It seems like people want to anoint Heckert as GM, but at this point his record is mixed. I think we are so used to awful draft results that if we get a couple players who can play then we are happy. I am not saying Heckert is shit at this point, just lets see what he does this year and next then decide. You shouldnt give too much kudos when a guy hits on a player or two at the top of the first or second round. I remember all the people running around IN SAVAGE WE TRUST! Remember that??? Another problem i have with H and H is this old school idea that you cannot fill a couple holes though free agency. Instead we get frostee nutz and a couple other bargain basement players while the team pockets millions of unspent cap dollars for the godknowshowmany years in a row. Meanwhile they dont understand why they dont get praise for signing a couple of our own players from last years 4 win squad. A management so stupid that we franchise a kicker for the SECOND year in a row and pay him almost 4 million. We are like the laughingstock of the league after franchising a kicker again. I like Dawson as much as anyone but we can find another kicker, cheap. That 4 million would have been better spent with a FA right tackle, veteran WR or even give it to Hillis and bring him back considering we have nobody else to run the ball. But hey we have Dawson so that we can try those 52 yard field goals into the wind on 4th and one from the 35 yard line instead of handing it to Hillis for a yard and keep a drive going.

When the expansion Browns came back i remember telling my buddy that one good thing that could come out of rebirth of the team was better ownership than the idiot Art Modell. How wrong I was! At least Art went for trying to win. He wasnt always successful in his moves but he tried to win. Thats how bad this team has been, that Art actually looks good in retrospect.

STFU. wow i guess everyone's pissed because we didn't spend either all our draft picks or all our money on someone who played 2 flippin games in the nfl or 2 others who have played zero games.

did alex smith sign with another team? did peyton sign with a team yet?

relax. this is what everybody wanted when they exclaimed Holmgren is the second coming of christ (right behind tebow and RG3). the old "in H and H i trust" was bullshit from the beginning. heckert yes. holmgren no.

give me back mangini with a new OC and his system last year wouldn't have turned out so bad and we all wouldn't be cutting each other's throats with player demands.

The Seahawks reached agreement Sunday with Matt Flynn on a three-year deal, bringing one of the most wanted -- yet unproven -- free agents to the Pacific Northwest to try and solidify Seattle's QB position.

The contract is worth $26 million with $10 million guaranteed, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

... and he was never heard from again...

STFU. wow i guess everyone's pissed because we didn't spend either all our draft picks or all our money on someone who played 2 flippin games in the nfl or 2 others who have played zero games.

did alex smith sign with another team? did peyton sign with a team yet?

relax. this is what everybody wanted when they exclaimed Holmgren is the second coming of christ (right behind tebow and RG3). the old "in H and H i trust" was bullshit from the beginning. heckert yes. holmgren no.

give me back mangini with a new OC and his system last year wouldn't have turned out so bad and we all wouldn't be cutting each other's throats with player demands.

Well, if H&H have a plan, they had better start showing results- this year. Hand picked coach(s) and three years is plenty enough time to overhaul your roster.

Archived