THE BROWNS BOARD

Alshon Jeffery

ClevelandBigDawg

40 time today in the high 4.4s - 4.5 range.

Not saying draft him, just have to figure he is the minds of the FO at our 22nd pick, or 37th...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/28/alshon-jeffery-timed-in-4-4-4-5-range-at-pro-day/

I dont think there is any chance now he falls past round 2.

Idk for some reason he reminds me of Roy Williams.. Like the measurements and the college production, but am just not convinced he'll make it in the pros. Lacks the work ethic and concentration maybe? I might just be off target here though...

Idk for some reason he reminds me of Roy Williams.. Like the measurements and the college production, but am just not convinced he'll make it in the pros. Lacks the work ethic and concentration maybe? I might just be off target here though...

No I get what you're saying. The guy has all the tools to be great just something isn't there from the mental standpoint. I have a few friends at USC including one who does some sports type stuff for the college who have said the same thing.

IDK he may be figuring it out.

He is down to 213 - 16 pounds from his listed college weight / 3 from his combine weight.

He was reportedly up to 249 after the season while working out in Indy, running a 4.88. I dont know how much stock I put into that, because he would have dropped like .3-.4 seconds on his 40 times, which is friggen insane.

I think he may be turning over a new leaf. That or he is a really good actor by getting his weight down and same with his 40.

His size an athletic ability is amazing, it's a question whether he has the heart and the separation ability that he is dropping IMHO, so I do understand where you are coming from.

To me he seems like a guy who is just putting in a lot of work to get his money and then go back to his old ways. If he were serious about what he was doing he would have started before last season or at least during. Waiting until the season is over and then purposly sitting out work outs to hide how bad of shape he was in. Huge marks right there.

To me he seems like a guy who is just putting in a lot of work to get his money and then go back to his old ways. If he were serious about what he was doing he would have started before last season or at least during. Waiting until the season is over and then purposly sitting out work outs to hide how bad of shape he was in. Huge marks right there.

Haha I was reading the comment above you and was about to type the same thing. Just because he drops weight doesnt mean he is pulling it together, doesnt mean he isnt either... Some Uncle or agent or whatever sits him down and says "Hey Alshon, everyone is saying your weight is a problem and youll likely get $2+ million dollars more if you lose 15 pounds.. shouldnt be too hard since youre already working out a lot. Cut back on food a little bit, run a little bit more and dont drink water the day before your weigh-in and cash in." -- that scenario scares me. I dont know the other side of it though

Haha I was reading the comment above you and was about to type the same thing. Just because he drops weight doesnt mean he is pulling it together, doesnt mean he isnt either... Some Uncle or agent or whatever sits him down and says "Hey Alshon, everyone is saying your weight is a problem and youll likely get $2+ million dollars more if you lose 15 pounds.. shouldnt be too hard since youre already working out a lot. Cut back on food a little bit, run a little bit more and dont drink water the day before your weigh-in and cash in." -- that scenario scares me. I dont know the other side of it though

If I can have the will to lose weight without even the probability of getting paid a cent for it, this guy can do it for a possible extra 2-3 million.

even though its a reach i would rather pick up Mcnutt in the 2nd...much better attitude and has awesome hands...plus he was a qb and just an overall great kid...He is the only kid i would be dissapointed if we didn't pick up and had a chance. probably late 2nd or early 3rd...have a feeling giants, new england, detroit or pack will pick him up.

Would love to have Alshon on the team but wouldn't be upset if we didn't get him

I would be upset if we didn't try for McNutt

McCoy to McNutt for a touchdown and the cleveland fans go MCNUTTS!!!!

Last season he was considered a first round talent, then his weight ballooned up and he slid to 6th or 7th round caliber?

Talent is talent. A lot of people are forgetting that S.Car didn't have a viable QB his entire time there, and this past season they dismissed their QB from the team in the middle of the season.

If he can be had in the second round, I believe that's an absolute steal. He's got the leaping ability, armspan and range of Calvin Johnson, which is something nobody on our roster has. He's spent his entire career coming back to nab underthrown balls, he'd fit in perfectly with us.

He's a long strider, and is said to be not all that excited about football.

And, will probably have trouble off the los against man to man cb's.

I don't think he fits.

TCPO, not everyone said he was a first round talent nor was he a good fit in the Browns offense.

There are plenty of guys on the roster who can't separate already.

I don't give two shits about separation. His main asset for us would be his jumping ability and range in the endzone. We don't have a real threat once we get into the redzone, having someone who can adjust to the ball like that would be a tremendous improvement over what we have. Our biggest redzone threat right now is a third string tight end.

I don't advocate drafting back to back positions often, but I could see us going WR with two of our first three picks.

With Heckert's recent comments on a WR by committee,

It's fathomable that our WR corps could very well be completely different next season, like it should be. Maybe something like Blackmon/Floyd, Jeffery, Little, Norwood, MoMass.

Why did he run slow?

Was there a physical problem or was he just not prepared?

That is an important question

Because he was thirty pound overweight.

Why was he overweight? That's what nobody knows. People gain weight though, it happens.I saw Ahmad Bradshaw last month and he was looking quite hefty.

I say go crazy on WRs we know at least 4 teams that would kill for a WR this year...we might get some extra 2nd 3 rounders.

Blackmon trade for a 1st and 2nd

Floyd trade for a 1st and 3rd

Alshon trade for a 2nd and 2nd next year

then pick up Wright, Sanu, Hill, Mcnutt plus we will have 3 other picks

That probably won't happen but I think we will be doing some bundling though...We have 13 picks...first of all we will not be able to sign all those...its wasted picks it really is...4 picks we can't trade but for someone like the raiders, tampa, new england, new orleans, atlanta, arizone who may only have 5 or 6 picks...lets say we could trade both 4th rounders for a 2nd and our 5th and 6th and 7th for another 3rd

2 1st 4 & 22

2 2nd 36 & 48

1 3rd 67 & 74

and 4 compensantory picks in the 6th and 7th

so that give us 10 picks 6 in the top 75...we can build a team with that

I've got a better Idea- Lets trade ALL our picks for more picks and with those picks we then trade for even more picks and we'll have picks, picks, picks! Maybe if we trade down enough we could own every single pick in the 6th and 7th round! I'm certain we'll find a Tom Brady and an Arian Foster there! <_<

Seriously, we're picking inside the top 10 again- for the millionth time. We have to eventually grow some damn testicals and take one of these playmakers at the top of the draft. I can't handle another trade down, not when Blackmon or Richardson is there for us to take. Maybe if we were in the Rams position, where they just used the #1 overall to take Bradford and then the next year traded down to receive a bounty of picks for a player that they don't need.. Especially when the player that they wanted anyways is going to fall in their laps where they moved down to... But we just cannot do that again this year, we can't. It's not fair for the players on offense because we have no weapons, it's not fair for the Defense, that since we have no weapons we can't keep the offense on the field so they have to play 53 out of the 60 minutes of the game... It's not fair to the fans, who wait all offseason hoping against hope that we get a playmaker, have two of them in front of us, and we trade down again and watch another team's fans go nuts because they just got something to cheer about while we got, what else... more picks. :mad:

Last season he was considered a first round talent, then his weight ballooned up and he slid to 6th or 7th round caliber?

Talent is talent. A lot of people are forgetting that S.Car didn't have a viable QB his entire time there, and this past season they dismissed their QB from the team in the middle of the season.

If he can be had in the second round, I believe that's an absolute steal. He's got the leaping ability, armspan and range of Calvin Johnson, which is something nobody on our roster has. He's spent his entire career coming back to nab underthrown balls, he'd fit in perfectly with us.

ehhhh... Calvin Johnson is 2 inches taller, 20 lbs heavier, ran a 4.35 40, and had 42" vertical. Absolutely no comparison with the measurables...

I don't give two shits about separation. His main asset for us would be his jumping ability and range in the endzone. We don't have a real threat once we get into the redzone, having someone who can adjust to the ball like that would be a tremendous improvement over what we have. Our biggest redzone threat right now is a third string tight end.

I don't advocate drafting back to back positions often, but I could see us going WR with two of our first three picks.

With Heckert's recent comments on a WR by committee,

It's fathomable that our WR corps could very well be completely different next season, like it should be. Maybe something like Blackmon/Floyd, Jeffery, Little, Norwood, MoMass.

We already have a guy on the team the same size, slightly faster, and how can jump higher. His name is Greg Little. I thought the point hear was to find someone who can complement him, not copy him.

I've got a better Idea- Lets trade ALL our picks for more picks and with those picks we then trade for even more picks and we'll have picks, picks, picks! Maybe if we trade down enough we could own every single pick in the 6th and 7th round! I'm certain we'll find a Tom Brady and an Arian Foster there! <_<

Seriously, we're picking inside the top 10 again- for the millionth time. We have to eventually grow some damn testicals and take one of these playmakers at the top of the draft. I can't handle another trade down, not when Blackmon or Richardson is there for us to take. Maybe if we were in the Rams position, where they just used the #1 overall to take Bradford and then the next year traded down to receive a bounty of picks for a player that they don't need.. Especially when the player that they wanted anyways is going to fall in their laps where they moved down to... But we just cannot do that again this year, we can't. It's not fair for the players on offense because we have no weapons, it's not fair for the Defense, that since we have no weapons we can't keep the offense on the field so they have to play 53 out of the 60 minutes of the game... It's not fair to the fans, who wait all offseason hoping against hope that we get a playmaker, have two of them in front of us, and we trade down again and watch another team's fans go nuts because they just got something to cheer about while we got, what else... more picks. :mad:

exactly that is why we need to bundle those 2 4th 5,6,7 and get back into picking that ONE guy that will make a difference...really still can't believe we took Marashit and Camcrapstic last year. We don't need 13 picks that's just crazy. I'm hoping they have 5 guys on their scope that they want and will do anything and everything to get those guys...not settle for someone else.

I agree with what you're saying Brownfish, which I think is Quality over Quantity.

exactly that is why we need to bundle those 2 4th 5,6,7 and get back into picking that ONE guy that will make a difference...really still can't believe we took Marashit and Camcrapstic last year. We don't need 13 picks that's just crazy. I'm hoping they have 5 guys on their scope that they want and will do anything and everything to get those guys...not settle for someone else.

Well regardless to get those guys they can't give up those two 6th and two 7th round picks... none trade-able.

yes, lets take picks that are generally a gamble anyway, package them all thogether to take one player thats the same level of gamble.

sounds good to me.... :rolleyes:

cause we all know you have a better chance of winning the lottery if you buy one ticket as opposed to 10.

Its not like other teams are getting giddy about getting 3 6th and 7th rounders and give up a 4th or something. Come on guys, there has to be a team to ACCEPT the trade offer... picking Marecic and Cameron in the 4th isnt something to get upset about, they were rookies with no offseason. You cant just automatically package those 2 picks and receive a 3rd round pick, its not a store...

Its not like other teams are getting giddy about getting 3 6th and 7th rounders and give up a 4th or something. Come on guys, there has to be a team to ACCEPT the trade offer... picking Marecic and Cameron in the 4th isnt something to get upset about, they were rookies with no offseason. You cant just automatically package those 2 picks and receive a 3rd round pick, its not a store...

Espessially when Cameron was brought in to literally sit the whole season and learn anyway. Just another example of people demanding rookies to produce near pro bowl levels regardless of where they were picked at.

then calling them busts before they ever step on the field.

different mentality when your losing. that other teams fans do not generally throw around such trash talk before a thrid year....realizing a lack of immediate impact =/ bust. browns fans, for some reason, concern themselves with player salaries and round drafted more than a players production/contribution.

if you miss a block...your a bust. miss a tackle...your a bust. run for a 8 yard gain, your a beast and unstaoppable.

i laugh at browns fans alot actually....

ehhhh... Calvin Johnson is 2 inches taller, 20 lbs heavier, ran a 4.35 40, and had 42" vertical. Absolutely no comparison with the measurables...

That's why I didn't say he was as big or as fast as Johnson. I said he has the same range as Johnson.

The guy has been coming back for underthrown balls or leaping up to catch overthrown corner passes his entire career. He's never had a good QB throwing him the ball, yet he's still been in consideration as top ten talent until his weight issue. When the ball is in the air, he's the best WR in this class.

That's why I didn't say he was as big or as fast as Johnson. I said he has the same range as Johnson.

The guy has been coming back for underthrown balls or leaping up to catch overthrown corner passes his entire career. He's never had a good QB throwing him the ball, yet he's still been in consideration as top ten talent until his weight issue. When the ball is in the air, he's the best WR in this class.

Not sure how height, speed and vertical arent direct measures of "range". But I agree, he could be like a Plaxico in the end zone, very valuable. And we all know how draft status fluctuates, sometimes it is warranted, sometimes not.

I wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on Jeffries. Too many motivational questions with him. Also the idea that he can't get separation. If he has trouble with separation in college, how difficult will it be for him in the NFL?

I would take him if he's there in the 3rd. But not 1st or 2nd.

Hey 3rd grade called and they said they want their insults back...

Archived