THE BROWNS BOARD

Look Into The Future For A Thread Of Hope.

PoeticG

It hasn't been confirmed yet that this is the schedule, has it?

I was wondering if anyone caught that. The 2012 NFL has not been released yet,usally out right before the draft. Either way another growing pain year 7 wins tops. I would not mind being wrong but 8 or more wins would be a strech.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firing Mangini was the right move but was done a year too late. Hiring Shurmur was the wrong move. Firing Shurmur now would be an even worse move. By the way, how can you predict records before the draft even happens? I know many of you will say that the Browns won't get significantly better no matter who they draft but it would be nice to wait and see.

He did have a shot last year. He was given the same shot as every other coach in the leauge. My biggest problem is that he never deserved to be given the head coaching job in the first place, and has so far proven he doesn't deserve the job. He was an offensive coordinator for 2 whole years with the Rams. His first year with the Rams they went 1-15. His "break-out" season was a 7-9 record with the number one overall pick in arguably the worst division in NFL history. Remember the Seahawks won that division with a losing record at 7-9. I lived in St Louis in 2010 and saw every game. It was the same extremely conservative offense that we saw last year. The only reason, I repeat the only reason the Rams won 7 games that year is because they got to play the 8 games against the pitiful NFC west and even then were only able to go .500.

That Rams team beat the 6-10 Redskins, the 7-9 Seahawks, the 9-7 Chargers, the 2-14 Panthers, the 4-12 Broncos, the 5-11, Cardinals, and the 6-10 49ers. They lost to the Cardinals, the 8-8 Raiders, the 6-10 Lions (by a score of 44-6,) the 10-6 Bucs, the 49ers, the 13-3 Falcons, the 11-5 Saints, the 10-6 Chiefs, and finally a loss to the Seahawks in week 17 for a chance to go to the playoffs. The most that Rams team scored was 36, broke 30 twice, scored in the 20's five times, scored in the teens 7 times, and were held to single digits twice. They only beat one team with a winning record in the Chargers and lost to 4 teams (Lions, Cardinals, 49ers, and Seahawks) with equal or lesser records then their own. As far as leauge rankings go the Rams were 26th in total offense, 26th in scoring, 21st in passing offense and 25th in rushing offense with a franchise QB, RB, and a break out year from Danny Amendola (a poor man's Wes Welker.) That's more talent then the Browns have yet he still couldn't put up even average offensive stats.

He clearly did not get the head coaching job based on merit. He was most successful as the QB coach for the Eagles from 02-08. Now let me ask you do you think he was calling the plays at that time under Andy Reid? No he wasn't. He was hired due to his uncle, Fitz, who was the defensive coordinator under Holmgren at Seattle. It was flat out a shitty hire. If we didn't hire him last year and he stayed with the Rams I guarantee he would've lost his job this offseason with Spagnuolo and would more then likely return to being a QB coach if he was lucky.

Continuity is only good if you have a capable coach at the helm. We don't. We have a unproven offensive coordinator given a head coaching job who's only been able to prove that he can mastermind a below average offense. If he was a defensive minded coach it would be somewhat understandable but Shumur is not. If our offense plays like they did last year (which is more likely then not) Shumur and Holmgren have to go. Shumur for impeding the development of the young talent we have and will get in the upcoming draft and Holmgren for hiring his buddy's nephew to a job he was ill prepared and qualified for.

All good points. You may be right about Shurmur, I wanna see what he does this year before I settle on my judgments. At least if he is the wrong guy, I hope we can keep several coaches and a system in place if he is fired. We will never make the playoffs if we blow up every 3 or 4 years and change everything. I know its hard but patience is key here. I agree though, if it is decided Shurmur is not capable of the job, bring someone in that can do the job, but at least make sure he can run our "system" whatever that ends up being when we get some talent..

Archived